• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
ICS bitches!

-No on-screen buttons
-Holding home brings up recent apps
-Laggy as shit, lol
-New Roboto font looks amazing...pentile bullshit and all.
-Global font size changing (finaly some accessibility support on this os)
-Options added for touch and hold delay, short, medium, long (thank god)
-Something about "allow web scripts" to be installed (Andrex, is this orgasmy for you?)

dream

Coperdickus, how do I stop Adobe Reader from jumping back to the first page of a PDF every time the app loses focus?

kehs

Banned
dream said:
Coperdickus, how do I stop Adobe Reader from jumping back to the first page of a PDF every time the app loses focus?

I use ezpdf on the phone and polaris on the TF. Get a real pdf reader dude.

---------------------

Interesting enough the whole "swipe left/right" didn't make it into the setting panes, wtf.

Download / SD / Running

You have to touch the section header to switch.

CRT animation is gone....I hope that's just because it's an sdk port....booo

Man, this thing is laid out very very nice.

If you have hardware buttons, that three dots in the action bars do not show up, btw.

Still no local calendars. bwah.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Got this keyboard folio in today for my tablet. Pretty neat, but pretty heavy too:

yGRKT.jpg

kehs

Banned
dream said:
EZpdf is 3 dollars! That has to be a bug in the market, right?

Got it free on Amazon Appstore. =P

dream, you really don't like the look of ics? This thing is baller.

not surprisingly, you can't dream the launcher, the drawer button is fixed.

Copernicus said:
ICS bitches!

-No on-screen buttons
-Holding home brings up recent apps
-Laggy as shit, lol
-New Roboto font looks amazing...pentile bullshit and all.
-Global font size changing (finaly some accessibility support on this os)
-Options added for touch and hold delay, short, medium, long (thank god)
-Something about "allow web scripts" to be installed (Andrex, is this orgasmy for you?)

Where are you getting the bolded things from??

dream

Copernicus said:
Got it free on Amazon Appstore. =P

dream, you really don't like the look of ics? This thing is baller.

not surprisingly, you can't dream the launcher, the drawer button is fixed.

I don't know. I'm weird. I thought Honeycomb looked awesome.

kehs

Banned
OriginalThinking said:
Does anything actually work? I mean bluetooth, calling, wi-fi etc etc. I presume it's unusable for day to day but good for nosing around.

Nah, nothing works, it's pretty shit to be honest as far actually doing stuff. I wanted to see the layouts, flow, etc on the phone itself, it's nicely put together. I think they got wifi and sms working though.

edit:

Browser quick controls are in tact. yay.

Copernicus said:
Nah, nothing works, it's pretty shit to be honest as far actually doing stuff. I wanted to see the layouts, flow, etc on the phone itself, it's nicely put together. I think they got wifi and sms working though.

edit:

Browser quick controls are in tact. yay.

Ahhh, awesome. Presume they've ditched those silly zoom controls too?

kehs

Banned
OriginalThinking said:
Ahhh, awesome. Presume they've ditched those silly zoom controls too?

Haven't loaded a page, so I'm not sure.

They have changed the wording from "Force Stop" to Stop in the app information. Running services have a warning that you may lose data if you Stop them.

Alot of the reasons I was running CM appear to be part of AOSP, I might actually stick with stock when I get the Prime.

Lesiroth said:
Does anyone know what is the fate of the menu hardware button on older phones that will run ICS?

Long pressing the menu key no longer toggles the keyboard. To hide the keyboard in a text box just hit back instead.

Home is home, long press home is recent apps. Search is search.

If you have a hardware menu key, you will not see the three dots in the action bar, instead you press menu to bring up the settings for that app.

p.s. my trackball acts a mouse cursor, haha.

rabhw

Hoping that's an old build of ICS. Performance (swiping between homescreens, gallery swiping, and App Launcher) was looking kinda janky at times :/

kehs

Banned
Welp, that was fun, back to gingerbread for a few days before I sell this relic.

People will not be blown away by this update btw. It's an awesome update, but it's still just a natural android progression.

It is pretty though.

rabhw said:
Hoping that's an old build of ICS. Performance (swiping between homescreens, gallery swiping, and App Launcher) was looking kinda janky at times :/

Gallery seemed fine and the homescreen scrolling seemed fine except at the initial launch when the system was still loading. Just the odd hiccup in the launcher animations really.

Doopliss said:
Scrolling is nice and smooth but the amount of checkerboarding when he zooms in/out isn't great.

It isn't checkerboarding it's white screen. It's checkerboarding on the GS2 (Yes I know it's semantics). I think it looks good and the browser kicks Honeycombs and Gingerbreads ass. It fades back in after a split second so I don't really see the issue.

EDITED FO' SPELLING

kehs

Banned
It's a shame Google couldn't hold off the their OHA with getting tablets out ASAP. Had they released HC/ICS in one fell swoop, it would have dazzled everyone.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Copernicus said:
Welp, that was fun, back to gingerbread for a few days before I sell this relic.

People will not be blown away by this update btw. It's an awesome update, but it's still just a natural android progression.

It is pretty though.
That's disappointing to hear. It doesn't feel... new? Does it have iOS polish? I guess you can't comment on polish since it's a half assed ROM. How about UI cohesiveness?

Ocho

joaomgcd said:
Hi.
I put an update up recently for my app on the Android Market, and have been getting some error reports for this new version. The thing is, I can't reproduce the errors, so I can't fix it.

Can anyone be so kind as to try the free version and see if they get any errors, please?

It's an plugin for Tasker and Locale to help you checkin automatically in Foursquare. Also works as a standalone app for wifi networks (checks you in when you connect to a network). If anyone here uses foursquare, you can try download my app here:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.joaomgcd.intents.lite&feature=search_result
I bought the app on the premise alone. Glad to see this kind of foursquare integration with Tasker.

Now the error part: I exported a task to Tasker (what's the difference of creating a task on Tasker itself rather than importing?). I imported the task, decided to create a new task using plugin -> Tasker, configured said task, and was done. I jumped back to your application to see if there were any other configuration options, and on the 'exported a plugin' screen, I decided to hit the back button. The app quits to the homescreen but remains active (header on top) until I hit the home button. If I try to open it again, the same behavior will happen until I force close.

Edit: I haven't actually tested the check in functionality.

I'm on a Samsung Galaxy SII 2.3.4.

Hope this helps.

kehs

Banned
Bboy AJ said:
That's disappointing to hear. It doesn't feel... new? Does it have iOS polish? I guess you can't comment on polish since it's a half assed ROM. How about UI cohesiveness?

Considering this was a half assed rom, some of the apps were flying (namely people) but they had no data in them.

Visually speaking it's different(that might be enough?), but the underlying stuff is the same, it's weird to explain, it's definitely polished up. The fact that I've had a HC tablet might have something to do with it though, I don't know.

I'd give it a 8 out 10 in terms of cohesivenessly within the core apps. I'm sure there aren't enough beveled buttons for some people though.

(though I probably have a higher tolerance for lacking cohivs)

P.S. re: Onscreen buttons

Good News: Apps have the ability to completely hide the on screen buttons, not just turn them to dots, for phones and small screens. (You can watch 1280x720 content 1:1)

Bad News: This doesn't apply to the on screen buttons for tablets. (which is stupid)

rozay

Banned
Weird, I just flashed the SDK port to my phone and I actually don't like how ICS looks on 800x480 devices. It's probably because some elements have better spacing on 720p screens like the google bar on the top of the screen.

edit:eek:kay i'm not entirely crazy the google bar at the top in the SDK does not look the same as it does on the galaxy nexus, it's got a magnifying glass that needs to go asap.

zbeeb

no pinch to zoom in gmail makes me sad :( on that italian video, you still have to scroll sideways to see full emails if they are html.

EDIT: Just realised if you sign in to phone with your google account, the browser automatically signs you in to google. was this in gingerbread?

jayb

zbeeb said:
no pinch to zoom in gmail makes me sad :( on that italian video, you still have to scroll sideways to see full emails if they are html.
This absolutely drives me crazy! How have they not added pinch to zoom yet!? Either the gmail app team are idiots or someone (apple?) has a patent on it.

Does the windows phone mail app have zoom controls?

3phemeral

zbeeb said:

EDIT: Just realised if you sign in to phone with your google account, the browser automatically signs you in to google. was this in gingerbread?
My Asus Transformer does this. The first time I tried logging into gmail via browser, it auto-logged me in just before I finished typing in my password. It was a small moment of frustration until I realized what happened. Then a sudden "Ooooh. Nice."

rozay

Banned
zbeeb said:

definitely new to non-honeycomb devices

sun-drop

just an FYI ...... the newer firmwares for the galaxy tab 10.1 .... BIG performance boost.

i brought mine a mth ago and found the homescreen's laggy as hell .... resorted to custom roms.

but back on stock now with KH8 .... smooth as butta

Argyle

dream said:
You wouldn't have this problem in webos, just sayin'...(granted the pdf reader has other issues but this isn't one of them)

gcubed

Copernicus said:
Considering this was a half assed rom, some of the apps were flying (namely people) but they had no data in them.

Visually speaking it's different(that might be enough?), but the underlying stuff is the same, it's weird to explain, it's definitely polished up. The fact that I've had a HC tablet might have something to do with it though, I don't know.

I'd give it a 8 out 10 in terms of cohesivenessly within the core apps. I'm sure there aren't enough beveled buttons for some people though.

(though I probably have a higher tolerance for lacking cohivs)

P.S. re: Onscreen buttons

Good News: Apps have the ability to completely hide the on screen buttons, not just turn them to dots, for phones and small screens. (You can watch 1280x720 content 1:1)

Bad News: This doesn't apply to the on screen buttons for tablets. (which is stupid)
I would be willing to bet the only reason you are feeling its a natural progression is because you have honeycomb. Its a pretty huge leap from gingerbread. I mean its still android but compared to gingerbread its a pretty big departure

gcubed

TouchMyBox said:
Hey, if the nexus one didn't have the worst touch screen in the world, I would still love mine. :\

:(

lets not get silly now. The touchscreen is livable, having a nintendo like fridge in order to install apps is a joke

kehs

Banned
gcubed said:
I would be willing to bet the only reason you are feeling its a natural progression is because you have honeycomb. Its a pretty huge leap from gingerbread. I mean its still android but compared to gingerbread its a pretty big departure

You're probably right, a lot of the visual styles were alreayd in HC.

I was looking over all the new things for 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, and 4.0. All that stuff being rolled into one update for phones. There's so much new stuff in this update....that I think Google can get away with not updating for another year.

(Matroska support in 4.0 btw)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom