• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

rozay

Banned
The thing is that test is for black text on a white background. I suspect the pentile effect will be easily visible on the blue accents which are all over the OS since they will not use the red pixels, therefore leaving gaps like we saw in the video.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
SSGMUN10000 said:
I have pretty good vision and don't notice the difference in fps. Maybe you have to be trained and what too look for. As far as displays I noticed how much better the colors looked on a friends S2 than my mytouch 4g, didnt get a microscope or anything to see if the letters were jagged or not.

You're a liar. If you can't tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps, you have bad vision. If you don't have bad vision, you can tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps.

Husker86

Circle T said:
The Infuse, Charge, and all Galaxy SII variants use non-PenTile displays.

Right, I forgot those were at that resolution as well. I guess I should have just said the Galaxy 1 variants.

ShdwDrake

Banned
Zefah said:
You're a liar. If you can't tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps, you have bad vision. If you don't have bad vision, you can tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps.
I have perfect vision and while it's a little noticeable it's as big a deal as GAF makes it out to be and I'm primarily a pc gamer.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
SSGMUN10000 said:
Nope not a liar. I can't tell the difference nor does the average person.
Sit someone down with a copy of Burnout Paradise locked at 60, and then have them play it locked at 30. They'll notice.

Not sure how we got onto this topic. But hey, Burnout is awesome.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
kinggroin said:
that's very nice...

...lets see Jtwo's card
I actually am filling out birthday invites as we speak. Here is yours, AndroGAF. (I'm home sick today and very bored)

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Jtwo said:
Sit someone down with a copy of Burnout Paradise locked at 60, and then have them play it locked at 30. They'll notice.

Not sure how we got onto this topic. But hey, Burnout is awesome.

Like I said you would have to be trained to see the difference. Same applies to these displays. Average person will not see the jagged lettering. Anyways lets get back on topic. Hope that the GN releases on Tmobile. If they do get the phone they should put all there marketing behind this. They will never get the iphone or not at least anytime soon

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I think there is going to be an "international version" that will work with HSPA+ on Tmobile. I could be flatout wrong, but I swear thats the case. But it probably won't be sold/subsidized by Tmobile. But again, thats just conjecture.

The Pentaband/International model will work on Tmo if you want to buy it though.

nib95

Banned
I think the mistake people are making here is that they think all PenTile screens are of equal quality. They're not. Depending on all manner of attributes they vary. From quality of the panel or display, the resolution, size etc etc. So the Anandtech comparison is almost pointless when talking Nexus galaxy.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I definitely agree. I'm expecting to be floored by the GN screen whenever it does release.

kehs

Banned
Husker86 said:
Why? My Thunderbolt can export to SIM from the People app.

Gonna be using a prepaid for a bit. (I can't seem to find the option on CM7, I could have sworn it was there before).

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Transitioning to a dummy phone until the GN releases, I'd imagine.

Circle T

Husker86 said:
Why? My Thunderbolt can export to SIM from the People app.
Yea, you should be able to just send them to the SIM. If not the old Export-->Import trick should work too. Just export all to the SD, and then when you import them, it should ask where you want them. Just select SIM.

Husker86

Found some apps on the market if CM7 doesn't have the option, seem to be all paid apps though.

And yeah forgot you can just take your SIM to a prepaid phone, didn't even cross my mind since I'm so ingrained in the CDMA lifestyle (is it weird that I felt cool having a SIM for my Thunderbolt?)

Ocho

I only have on question today, GAFhive:

Should I install CynogenMod 7.1 on my Samsun Galaxy SII? I figure they'll get ICS sooner than Samsung will. Is CynogenMod running under the newest 2.3 release (2.3.7 if I am correct)?

How popular is CynogenMod, anyway? Is there a better custom rom?

kehs

Banned
ochobit said:

Should I install CynogenMod 7.1 on my Samsun Galaxy SII? I figure they'll get ICS sooner than Samsung will. Is CynogenMod running under the newest 2.3 release (2.3.7 if I am correct)?

They are on the latest, yes.

They also have over 600K installs worldwide.

andycapps

ochobit said:

It's a very good one, and one of the best. I prefer MIUI though after using CM for almost a year. MIUI is on latest as well. I prefer the update/backup process in MIUI, takes place in the OS and not in recovery, unless you prefer that.

ochobit said:

Personally, I hate HTC Sense and TouchZiz and all that fluff. Cyanogenmod is as close as you're going to get to an AOSP release, with cool features thrown on top (built-in screenshot capture, black themed text messenger, more browser options, etc). Some things will be worse, though, at least until a version based on ICS comes out. The browser isn't hardware accelerated unlike the TouchWiz browser, and the stock video player can't play back as many formats as the TouchWiz player (MKV).

kharma45

I loved using CM7 when I had my N1, would recommend them any day of the week.

There is a lot of love for MIUI too, but it wasn't very smooth on my phone so didn't get a good go at it.

Circle T

Copernicus said:
Just came across that, thanks.

e: Doesn't export. blah, ah well. Guess I'm not calling anyone I can't remember the number to, haha.
Did you try Exporting your contacts to the SD card, and then Importing them back? Not sure about your phone, but often when importing contacts like that it will ask where you want them imported. Just do that and import them to the SIM.

kehs

Banned
Circle T said:
Did you try Exporting your contacts to the SD card, and then Importing them back? Not sure about your phone, but often when importing contacts like that it will ask where you want them imported. Just do that and import them to the SIM.

I did, but it wanted to export all 940 contacts out, haha. Maybe I'll unsync them and try again.

(I have a couple of business accounts tied to the phone)

Doopliss

Zombie James said:
Personally, I hate HTC Sense and TouchZiz and all that fluff. Cyanogenmod is as close as you're going to get to an AOSP release, with cool features thrown on top (built-in screenshot capture, black themed text messenger, more browser options, etc). Some things will be worse, though, at least until a version based on ICS comes out. The browser isn't hardware accelerated unlike the TouchWiz browser, and the stock video player can't play back as many formats as the TouchWiz player (MKV).
It's not just the stock video player that is affected. I use MX Video Player which on the Samsung based roms it will play 1080p high profile video without a hitch, but using cyanogenmod it won't play main profile DVD rips smoothly (mp4 or mkv).

They worked some magic getting the Bluetooth working, though, so fingers crossed.

Lesiroth

Doopliss said:
It's not just the stock video player that is affected. I use MX Video Player which on the Samsung based roms it will play 1080p high profile video without a hitch, but using cyanogenmod it won't play main profile DVD rips smoothly (mp4 or mkv).

They worked some magic getting the Bluetooth working, though, so fingers crossed.
Main reason I moved back to stock from CM7. I'm kinda dreading the day I have to move to CM for ICS because I'll lose that buttery smooth 720p video playback, unless Samsung goes crazy and releases an official ICS rom for the SGS (LOL)

Quick

Banned
So I just had the chance to play around with the Kobo Vox at work, and it's pretty cool. It's pretty much Kobo's answer to the Kindle Fire. I'm thinking about picking it up.

I'm terribly unfamiliar with Android OS, so I was wondering if it's possible to install custom firmware on any Android device?

Jtwo said:
I was wondering about the green, too.. when you look at diagrams of pentiles upclose its the green pixels that are smallest. So why does that tint green when up close? Are there more of them?
yes, there are twice as many green subpixels as red/blue.

SSGMUN10000 said:
What's this pentile bs some of you guys are spewing? Is the equivalent to 30fps-60fps crap thats in the gaming section? Never heard of pentile or pixel density until recently. I doubt the average user would be able to tell the difference.
each pixel in a typical LCD is made up of several sub-pixels, usually in a layout like

|RGB|RGB|
|RGB|RGB|

for a 4 pixel array (there are other layouts used, but this is the most common)

while in an RGBW setup like in some of those Motorola devices, it's

|RG|BW|
|BW|RG|

and in Super AMOLED it's

|RG|BG|
|BG|RG|

so there are less subpixels per pixel and they use subpixel rendering to calculate how to render what they want displayed

Massa

My brother has a Milestone 2 and he does nothing but complain about it. Anything that can be done to improve it? It doesn't look like it has any custom Android builds available.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Sometimes I download 100megabyte trance mixes off 3G just because I can. Not looking forward to being capped.

I won a Samsung Vibrant (Galaxy S) on eBay for $165. Good deal? I had an EVO 4g which was slow as balls then went WP7, but there are no good WP7 phones for T-mobile so I'm going back Android. The Vibrant has good battery life right?

Crazyorloco

foodtaster said:
I won a Samsung Vibrant (Galaxy S) on eBay for $165. Good deal? I had an EVO 4g which was slow as balls then went WP7, but there are no good WP7 phones for T-mobile so I'm going back Android. The Vibrant has good battery life right?
I had the vibrant, I think you got a good deal. I felt like the battery life was decent...not that great. The phone can handle games very well. I feel like the Evo 4g has better battery life.

I'm using the htc sensation now. I still have the vibrant as a back up. The vibrant takes great pics and video (better than the sensation). I think the phone is pretty good. And I love that super amoled screen.

Crazyorloco said:
I had the vibrant, I think you got a good deal. I felt like the battery life was decent...not that great. The phone can handle games very well. I feel like the Evo 4g has better battery life.

I'm using the htc sensation now. I still have the vibrant as a back up. The vibrant takes great pics and video (better than the sensation). I think the phone is pretty good. And I love that super amoled screen.
really? only decent? =/. What's the best t-mobile android device?

Wads

Banned
The HTC Amaze on T-mobile is amazing. Either that or the Galaxy S2, but Touchwiz + the resolution (coupled with the huge screen and low resolution) on the GS2 were the reasons I went with the Amaze. The design is incredible and the phone itself works great. Love HTC Sense. Can't wait until it gets 3.5!

Wads said:
The HTC Amaze on T-mobile is amazing. Either that or the Galaxy S2, but Touchwiz + the resolution (coupled with the huge screen and low resolution) on the GS2 were the reasons I went with the Amaze. The design is incredible and the phone itself works great. Love HTC Sense. Can't wait until it gets 3.5!
yeah, but the amaze's battery life is supposed to be garbage right? and why get the amaze when the galaxy nexus is coming out soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom