• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

x-Lundz-x

Vyse The Legend said:
I'm DESPERATE to give Samsung my money.

Samsung, please let me give you money (READ: announce GSM availability for Nexus).

You mean be on Sprint? I'm think this as well, I want the iPhone 4S but after seeing this I think I changed my mind.

gcubed

Copernicus said:
You're probably right, a lot of the visual styles were alreayd in HC.

I was looking over all the new things for 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, and 4.0. All that stuff being rolled into one update for phones. There's so much new stuff in this update....that I think Google can get away with not updating for another year.

(Matroska support in 4.0 btw)

yeah, i mean the stuff in honeycomb was a HUGE leap in functionality over gingerbread. I'm not 100% sure there is nearly as much under the hood API level functionality in ICS as there was in HC, but having that all come through with a cleaner gui (i like it better then HC, less techy) is huge. People who had no interest in HC didn't realize everything that was added in there (as denoted by people saying "omg you can hook up game controllers!"

Husker86

sun-drop said:
just an FYI ...... the newer firmwares for the galaxy tab 10.1 .... BIG performance boost.

i brought mine a mth ago and found the homescreen's laggy as hell .... resorted to custom roms.

but back on stock now with KH8 .... smooth as butta
How did you install that? I'm tired of custom ROMs.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OriginalThinking said:
Gallery seemed fine and the homescreen scrolling seemed fine except at the initial launch when the system was still loading. Just the odd hiccup in the launcher animations really.
The odd hiccup is precisely the thing that continues to annoy me about Android. Every phone I've used suffers from these often enough to become an annoyance.

dark10x said:
The odd hiccup is precisely the thing that continues to annoy me about Android. Every phone I've used suffers from these often enough to become an annoyance.

I get "odd" hiccups all the time on my iPad and iTouch (4th generation).

It happens to everyone.

santouras

Vyse The Legend said:
I'm DESPERATE to give Samsung my money.

Samsung, please let me give you money (READ: announce GSM availability for Nexus).
everywhere other than the states uses GSM so there will be a GSM version for Europe / Australia no doubt

santouras said:
everywhere other than the states uses GSM so there will be a GSM version for Europe / Australia no doubt

Yes, but I want official pricing and options to be announced. If I'm going to have to import into the States, I want to start considering my options.

Preferably, I want Canadian options, since it will be the cheapest option for me.

JonnyBrad

Husker86 said:
Gonna try this on my Tab. Can't wait for the much anticipated pinch to zoom! Oh wait...

:-( I'm assuming the reason they don't put it in is because of conversation view. They had better put it in the main email app or i will fucking scream.

Number one requested feature was not 30 days offline messages you bastards.

tino

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:
Yes, but I want official pricing and options to be announced. If I'm going to have to import into the States, I want to start considering my options.

Preferably, I want Canadian options, since it will be the cheapest option for me.

I would just wait for the next Moto or HTC ICS phone. I am sure that phone will have faster GPU and a SD slot.

linsivvi

Copernicus said:
ICS bitches!

-No on-screen buttons
-Holding home brings up recent apps
-Laggy as shit, lol
-New Roboto font looks amazing...pentile bullshit and all.
-Global font size changing (finaly some accessibility support on this os)
-Options added for touch and hold delay, short, medium, long (thank god)
-Something about "allow web scripts" to be installed (Andrex, is this orgasmy for you?)

It already does this on my Arc S, or is that not a standard feature before ICS?

SimleuqiR

linsivvi said:
It already does this on my Arc S, or is that not a standard feature before ICS?

On the phone OS (gingerbread) yes. In Honeycomb there is a multitask software button (not the home button) that takes you to the recent apps.

linsivvi

SimleuqiR said:
On the phone OS (gingerbread) yes. In Honeycomb there is a multitask software button (not the home button) that takes you to the recent apps.

I see. Just got the phone a couple weeks ago so I'm still trying to get used to everything.

jayb

brotkasten said:

so maybe it is an apple patent? can you patent pinch to zoom controls for a specific type of app? surely not, right?

I'll just continue assuming that the gmail app team are idiots, unless I hear of a patent that is preventing them from adding it.

jayb said:
so maybe it is an apple patent? can you patent pinch to zoom controls for a specific type of app? surely not, right?

I'll just continue assuming that the gmail app team are idiots, unless I hear of a patent that is preventing them from adding it.
Wait, I thought you meant on screen controls like ... buttons. Of course you can pinch-to-zoom in mails in Windows Phone. Why wouldn't you?

kehs

Banned
brotkasten said:
Wait, I thought you meant on screen controls like ... buttons. Of course you can pinch-to-zoom in mails in Windows Phone. Why wouldn't you?

Gmail doesn't have pinch to zoom.

(seriously)

kinggroin

Banned
dark10x said:

Happens with the iPhone too, with heavy data polling or usage, and that abomination of an OS isnt doing nearly as much at any given time.

Husker86

jayb said:

The only thing that I can think would be patented is pinch-to-zoom in specific panes inside a window. So, not zooming on the whole display, but just the message body? I can see that as being something patented...

kehs

Banned
Husker86 said:
The only thing that I can think would be patented is pinch-to-zoom in specific panes inside a window. So, not zooming on the whole display, but just the message body? I can see that as being something patented...

Apple has a pinch to zoom patent, that they've been bitching about for a long time.

I'm guessing Google doesn't want to expose of their key products to any kind of litigation that would put it under a scope.

JonnyBrad

Copernicus said:
Apple has a pinch to zoom patent, that they've been bitching about for a long time.

I'm guessing Google doesn't want to expose of their key products to any kind of litigation that would put it under a scope.

http://thisismynext.com/2011/06/22/apple-granted-patent-webpage-scrolling-behaviors-media-crazy/

This is the one they do have. Scrolling a map within a webpage. So you could argue that scrolling the whole page moves through conversation view and then zooming is just a frame. Apple wouldn't be able to win that one in court but that maybe why they steer clear. This wouldn't stop them putting zoom buttons on however.

Its a fucking pain in the ass though, i'm sure they could engineer their way around it so i'm putting it down to the gmail programmers being tards.

If the stock app still doesn't have it then they are definitely tards as there is no conversation view.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
kinggroin said:
Happens with the iPhone too, with heavy data polling or usage, and that abomination of an OS isnt doing nearly as much at any given time.

Bullshit. Android is notoriously hiccup-heavy. You don't see any of that crap on iPhone 4/4S or Windows 7 phones.

kehs

Banned
Zefah said:
Bullshit. Android is notoriously hiccup-heavy. You don't see any of that crap on iPhone 4/4S or Windows 7 phones.

Heard it here first folks, iOS and WP7 is immune to data congestion.

dark10x

Copernicus said:
Heard it hear first folks, iOS and WP7 is immune to data congestion.
Which that is obviously not true, you can't deny that Android does tend to have more performance issues than WP7 and iOS on high-end hardware. Android has come a long way, but this continues to be an issue even on the fastest hardware.

tfur

Vyse The Legend said:
I get "odd" hiccups all the time on my iPad and iTouch (4th generation).

It happens to everyone.

This is the truth. People trying to pass iOS off as something that does not chug on a regular basis are full of shit. Nearly every time I do task switching on my ipad it has "hiccups." The worse part about my ipad is how often Safari crashes. I can live with the "hiccups."

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Copernicus said:
Heard it here first folks, iOS and WP7 is immune to data congestion.
*stops print press*

I think someone just got burned by a torrential wave of boiling ink and paper fiber.

kehs

Banned
dark10x said:
Which that is obviously not true, you can't deny that Android does tend to have more performance issues than WP7 and iOS on high-end hardware. Android has come a long way, but this continues to be an issue even on the fastest hardware.

Yeah, but kingroin was talking about a data centric situation.

We all know android's scrolling isn't as smooth as ios or wp, does that need to be brought up every 35 posts by apple gaf?

giga said:
There are. See the gafberry thread. All of them from Canadia really.

I've never seen the gafberry thread, or is it only visible with a BB?

SimleuqiR

dark10x said:

Are we talking Vanilla Android here?

OEMs seem to bog down the OS more than anything.

dark10x

tfur said:
This is the truth. People trying to pass iOS off as something that does not chug on a regular basis are full of shit. Nearly every time I do task switching on my ipad it has "hiccups." The worse part about my ipad is how often Safari crashes. I can live with the "hiccups."
It does not chug on a regular basis on the latest hardware. The 4S and iPad 2 both run iOS5 effortlessly. The iPhone 4 does pretty well too.

The original iPad, unfortunately, is lacking in memory and never handled iOS4 or 5 particularly well.

That would be like trying to run ICS on an older Android phone or the original Galaxy Tab. It'll work, but it probably won't run well.

My point is that, even on the fastest devices available, you still run into performance hitches more frequently on Android than on WP7 or iOS. I'm not suggesting Android sucks or anything (it's a very interesting OS that does a lot of things well), but performance has never been its strong point.

Yeah, but kingroin was talking about a data centric situation.

We all know android's scrolling isn't as smooth as ios or wp, does that need to be brought up every 35 posts by apple gaf?
Yes, but I was hoping ICS would solve those issues.

Are we talking Vanilla Android here?

OEMs seem to bog down the OS more than anything.
Yes, vanilla. I spent a good 30 minutes with a rooted Galaxy S2 last week and was surprised to still run into issues. LOVE the size and weight, though. Was hoping ICS would deliver a completely smooth experience on such phones.

Dazzla

Have they got decent exchange sub folder support in ICS now?

My work email has server side rules which dumps mail automatically into sub folders. In iOS you can select which sub folders to sync and I get notifications when mail appears in those sub folders. Mango is a step below that, you have to pin folders to the start screen to receive notifications.

In previous versions of android I used Moxier Mail as it dealt with sub folders very well. I've not seen much about mail in ICS so I'd love to know if someone knows.

SimleuqiR

dark10x said:
Yes, vanilla. I spent a good 30 minutes with a rooted Galaxy S2 last week and was surprised to still run into issues. LOVE the size and weight, though. Was hoping ICS would deliver a completely smooth experience on such phones.

Weird. Rooted? What ROM? On CM7 (which I think is the closest you can get to Vanilla - with some minor modifications) my Nexus One runs very smoothly, rarely does it chug. Unless there are some issues with CM7 and the Galaxy S2 drives etc.

kinggroin

Banned
Zefah said:

than you've never used an iPhone 4 and/or a decent android device. There are hiccups present in both, with it varying wildly on android depending on hardware/rom/OS ver.

If the ICS presentation is anything to go by, the hiccup difference between the two OS's will be negligible. Only difference is that one will still be infinitely more functional and feature rich.

thespot84

Dazzla said:
Have they got decent exchange sub folder support in ICS now?

My work email has server side rules which dumps mail automatically into sub folders. In iOS you can select which sub folders to sync and I get notifications when mail appears in those sub folders. Mango is a step below that, you have to pin folders to the start screen to receive notifications.

In previous versions of android I used Moxier Mail as it dealt with sub folders very well. I've not seen much about mail in ICS so I'd love to know if someone knows.

Invest in touchdown, you'll never go back (it's 1000x better than any mobile exchange client with the obvious exception of winmo, but almost as good as that)

dark10x

SimleuqiR said:
Weird. Rooted? What ROM? On CM7 (which I think is the closest you can get to Vanilla - with some minor modifications) my Nexus One runs very smoothly, rarely does it chug. Unless there are some issues with CM7 and the Galaxy S2 drives etc.
Don't get me wrong, it does run smoothly, I just noticed several instances where scrolling through a list or a map would see a drop to 30 fps rather than 60 and plenty of little hitches while scrolling around were common as well. It responded much faster than the Nexus One, that's for sure, and is much better than the original Galaxy S phones (which, despite faster hardware, seemed to run slower than the Nexus).

I'm unsure which ROM was being used, but the device had been rooted.

than you've never used an iPhone 4 and/or a decent android device. There are hiccups present in both, with it varying wildly on android depending on hardware/rom/OS ver.
There are definitely hiccups on the iPhone 4. I loved that phone, but it was not always completely smooth once you started getting into a lot of different tasks. The iPhone 4S completely corrects all of that, however, and is about as perfect as I could want. All tasks perform faster and there are literally no skips or hiccups anywhere thus far. It solved all of the issues I've had with the 4. It basically runs like an iPad 2 now.

kinggroin

Banned
dark10x said:
Don't get me wrong, it does run smoothly, I just noticed several instances where scrolling through a list or a map would see a drop to 30 fps rather than 60 and plenty of little hitches while scrolling around were common as well. It responded much faster than the Nexus One, that's for sure, and is much better than the original Galaxy S phones (which, despite faster hardware, seemed to run slower than the Nexus).

I'm unsure which ROM was being used, but the device had been rooted.

There are definitely hiccups on the iPhone 4. I loved that phone, but it was not always completely smooth once you started getting into a lot of different tasks. The iPhone 4S completely corrects all of that, however, and is about as perfect as I could want. All tasks perform faster and there are literally no skips or hiccups anywhere thus far. It solved all of the issues I've had with the 4. It basically runs like an iPad 2 now.

just an fyi, whatever version of android that Tom is based on, ISNT hardware accelerated. Lets see how well it handles ICS....without live wallpaper (lol)

Pctx

Banned
giga said:
There are. See the gafberry thread. All of them from Canadia really.
So not only was Scott Pilgrim a great movie... it was a meta movie on how BB users mostly live in Canada.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
kinggroin said:

If the ICS presentation is anything to go by, the hiccup difference between the two OS's will be negligible. Only difference is that one will still be infinitely more functional and feature rich.

I've played around with plenty of devices (both old and new) on all three platforms. The UI lag, unresponsiveness, and overall choppiness is much more prevalent on Android devices (from Froyo to Gingerbread) than it is on iOS or Windows. Both iOS and Windows are extremely smooth (maybe they just use their GPUs better to mask load times), while stock Android (or the default manufacturer flavor) is quite laggy in comparison. I'm sure this is different on custom ROMs like Cyanogen, but I never messed with any of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom