• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wads

Banned
He asked what the best phone was right now. That's my opinion. I wasn't exactly blown away by the Nexus in any case. Don't get me wrong, looks like a great phone, but it didn't make me want to drop my Amaze for it. I'm sure it will be out soon for Verizon, but who knows if and when T-mobile will even get it?

And I guess the battery life isn't the best, but it's pretty similar to pretty much every other smart phone I've ever had. Lasts me the majority of the day and I have to plug it in when I get home.

rozay

Banned
In case you guys were wondering how older apps that require menu buttons run on 4.0:

duYhB.jpg

I am so jealous of all these random people having hands-ons with the phone. Where are they coming from!

kehs

Banned
rozay said:
In case you guys were wondering how older apps that require menu buttons run on 4.0:

duYhB.jpg

I am so jealous of all these random people having hands-ons with the phone. Where are they coming from!

That's smarter and prettier than I thought. Mr. Duarter, I have underestimated you. Bravo.

(Stock rooms across the world.)

e: this is the video that sitll is from:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irht6mCIaxI&feature=youtube_gdata

The show the led in the chin as the call comes in at about 3:30, holy shit that looks so awesome.

e2: wow the recent apps list actually swipes horizontal in horizontal orientation. dream, can I join the duarte fan club?

rozay

Banned
Also, I really hope that the phone in said person's hands isn't running the latest firmware because this phone is struggling to keep up with the transition animations. There's no excuse for that on shipping devices at this point in android's lifecycle.

edit: didn't notice that LED, really nice touch and a throwback to the N1.

Circle T

In that video, they also have the Google Search widget on their home screen. Is the Search box that is always at the top of the Home Screen area removable, or does it only search items on the phone itself?? What would be the reason for needing both??

rozay

Banned
Circle T said:
In that video, they also have the Google Search widget on their home screen. Is the Search box that is always at the top of the Home Screen area removable, or does it only search items on the phone itself?? What would be the reason for needing both??
It's permanently at the top of the screen, you still have 4x4 pages with it there. I haven't used honeycomb extensively but my best guess is that it's the equivalent of the search button on android phones.

omimasum

Neo Member
hey there huys, i just brought my first android phone which is the sony ericsson xperia play r800i. since this is my first time using it, are there any good apps for the xperia play. i mainly got it for the gaming but other apps interest me as well so any help or guidance would be appreciated thanks. btw what would the ice cream update do for that particular phone

omimasum said:
hey there huys, i just brought my first android phone which is the sony ericsson xperia play r800i. since this is my first time using it, are there any good apps for the xperia play. i mainly got it for the gaming but other apps interest me as well so any help or guidance would be appreciated thanks. btw what would the ice cream update do for that particular phone

I would suggest checking out XDA to keep up to date with latest tips, tricks, apps, etc for Android and specifically your phone.

kehs

Banned
Alright, this is kinda scary, but it seems that Google has retroactively updated contact pictures for higher resolution.

I'm looking at some contact pictures, that I know haven't been updated recently, but were originally updated with high res pictures, and now they show up higher res than.....say two weeks ago.

I'm not sure how to feel about the fact that Google is using the shit they have on file....

alternade

rozay said:
Also, I really hope that the phone in said person's hands isn't running the latest firmware because this phone is struggling to keep up with the transition animations. There's no excuse for that on shipping devices at this point in android's lifecycle.

What? It looked extremely fluid and snappy. I love the persistent search bar on all home screens. Has anyone tried what happens if you long press any of the soft keys?

There are only a couple things i really want to know like will gps just trigger itself on when i use maps for directions? Its so lame that you have to turn it on everytime.

Circle T

rozay said:
It's permanently at the top of the screen, you still have 4x4 pages with it there. I haven't used honeycomb extensively but my best guess is that it's the equivalent of the search button on android phones.
No, I get that it is always there. My question was, if that search is always there, why would someone need to ALSO have a Google Search widget?

kehs

Banned
dream said:
Does Coperdickus have a free screen rotation lock widget for dream?

It's built into CM dude, now where is my fan club membership?

e: Two minutes and change, seriously was duarte always this awesome? I feel bad for mocking webos now.

dream

Duarte presents software with the look and demeanor of a man trying to distract you while he slips something in your drink.

sun-drop

what im really curious about is how ICS will be implemented on SGS2 with regard to the buttons.

i mean it have capacitive buttons ..sure they vanish if not on so not noticeable ... but ... i'd prefer them be used in situations where they can replace equilivant on screen buttons ... simply because it'd give me more screen for other stuff

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
For those asking about CM7 on the GS2, it's officially not stable yet and is still a bit buggy. I had a few lockups and a few days ago it finally gave out by having every single app crash upon startup. I had to revert to Villainrom (right after I had customized everything to my liking too), but I'll go back as soon as it's stable again.

kehs

Banned
sun-drop said:
what im really curious about is how ICS will be implemented on SGS2 with regard to the buttons.

i mean it have capacitive buttons ..sure they vanish if not on so not noticeable ... but ... i'd prefer them be used in situations where they can replace equilivant on screen buttons ... simply because it'd give me more screen for other stuff

You won't see on screen buttons, ever.

Unless you put CM or something that allows you to toggle it, but that doesn't count.

VanWinkle

Looking at that video, I love a lot of the UI flourishes and tweaks they've done. But gosh, I wish the UI was smoother. It really seems like it's not any smoother than Gingerbread at all. I guess I've been spoiled by WP7 the past few days.

The phone sure is a beauty, though, and the UI looks great.

rozay said:

Yeah I think the only thing that isn't smooth here is the launcher. The problem seems to be similar to gingerbread + honeycomb issues. The launcher in honeycomb is smooth until you start putting Widgets on the screen. Then the frame rate takes a noticeable dip and the enter/exit app drawer animation takes a hit because the os has to redraw the Widgets. Throw in a live wallpaper and things start to get jankier. What we are seeing everywhere else in the UI is super smooth (the new browser is awesome) it's just the launcher. Perhaps it isn't hardware accelerated like a GS2 seems to be? Or maybe the ram isnt pre caching the home screens? We know this isn't final code and I'm fairly certain the launcher is still a WIP as some of the Galaxy Nexus S videos have a launcher that looks halfway between Froyo and ICS. Hopefully the final software will iron out the kinks. The browser is so so smooth though!

rozay

Banned
alternade said:
What? It looked extremely fluid and snappy. I love the persistent search bar on all home screens. Has anyone tried what happens if you long press any of the soft keys?

There are only a couple things i really want to know like will gps just trigger itself on when i use maps for directions? Its so lame that you have to turn it on everytime.
I should've clarified (as OriginalThinking mentioned) I'm talking abut the launcher animations, and they are not "extremely fluid and snappy." It might be because of live wallpapers, but it's unfortunate to see them continue to advertise them when either the software or the hardware just isn't capable of interface fluidity with them on.

Just look at the very last bit of the video when he leaves the apps list, the phone just gives up on the zoom animation after 1 frame. Shit like that bugs me.

Wads said:
The HTC Amaze on T-mobile is amazing. Either that or the Galaxy S2, but Touchwiz + the resolution (coupled with the huge screen and low resolution) on the GS2 were the reasons I went with the Amaze. The design is incredible and the phone itself works great. Love HTC Sense. Can't wait until it gets 3.5!
funny you should say that because the Amaze has like 30% lower benchmark performance despite being on the same SoC.

DAT SENSE UI!

Zapages

I don't know why Touchwiz is getting a bad rap. I have been using stock Galaxy S2 for a 1/2 month and it doesn't seem bad to me so far.

gcubed

Circle T said:
No, I get that it is always there. My question was, if that search is always there, why would someone need to ALSO have a Google Search widget?
I can't think of a reason why you would want both. I only ever use the built in one on my tablet.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
Zapages said:
I don't know why Touchwiz is getting a bad rap. I have been using stock Galaxy S2 for a 1/2 month and it doesn't seem bad to me so far.

Yeah, the implementation on the GS2 is a lot better than on the first GS. It's not as much of a candy coated iOS ripoff, and I was actually pleasantly surprised by how much of stock Gingerbread still shows through.

kehs

Banned
Zapages said:

The OG touchwiz was an abomination and a literally made what would be an awesome phone, shit. (Galaxy S I line)

Futureman

VanWinkle said:
Looking at that video, I love a lot of the UI flourishes and tweaks they've done. But gosh, I wish the UI was smoother. It really seems like it's not any smoother than Gingerbread at all. I guess I've been spoiled by WP7 the past few days.

The phone sure is a beauty, though, and the UI looks great.

Apparently any vid on the internet with people playing around on a Nexus is using Android 4.0.

The ICS that was shown off at the event last week was said to be 4.0.1 and a lot smoother. Forget which site reported that, but I think that's the general consensus, right?

VanWinkle

Futureman said:
Apparently any vid on the internet with people playing around on a Nexus is using Android 4.0.

The ICS that was shown off at the event last week was said to be 4.0.1 and a lot smoother. Forget which site reported that, but I think that's the general consensus, right?
That would make sense. It still wasnt as smooth as iOS or WP7 in the demonstration video on the 18th but it was definitely smoother than the stuff these people are showing off in these previews.

gcubed

I only made it to 4 minutes but didn't notice home screen scrolling issues, did see the hiccups on coming out of the app drawer. The led notification lights are awesome!

alternade

rozay said:
I should've clarified (as OriginalThinking mentioned) I'm talking abut the launcher animations, and they are not "extremely fluid and snappy." It might be because of live wallpapers, but it's unfortunate to see them continue to advertise them when either the software or the hardware just isn't capable of interface fluidity with them on.

Just look at the very last bit of the video when he leaves the apps list, the phone just gives up on the zoom animation after 1 frame. Shit like that bugs me.
I dont see it. Watched the whole video and to my eyes and for most people i would guess it looked pretty "iphone" snappy.

I have an unrooted N1 and to me it still feels fast enough to get through the day.

Donos

Avocado said:
I heard about an app that allows you to send free sms. Could anyone tell me what its called?
Whatsapp is the best one in my opinion. All my friends and people i know use it (on android and iOS). You can send pictures and video/sound files too. One of ny most used apps

blitz64

tapatalk, a forum browser similar to secondapps.com, is free on getjar. I've been looking for this app to be free for a while.

Anyone familiar with getjar? Can I download my apps again free in the future on a new android device? It doesn't seem to ask me to create an account.

Husker86

Donos said:
Whatsapp is the best one in my opinion. All my friends and people i know use it (on android and iOS). You can send pictures and video/sound files too. One of ny most used apps
Gotta pay after a year. Not that it costs a lot but I am firmly convinced that I won't be able to talk my friends into paying after the year trial so I'm trying other options now. Still paying for $10 text plan in the meantime.

blitz64 said:
tapatalk, a forum browser similar to secondapps.com, is free on getjar. I've been looking for this app to be free for a while.

Anyone familiar with getjar? Can I download my apps again free in the future on a new android device? It doesn't seem to ask me to create an account.

hey thanks for the headsup on this...love this app

just got a nexus s which so far is a nice upgrade from my htc legend...looking forward to running ICS in the next few months...

blitz64 said:

i don't think they have that kind of functionality. also, if you want to back up the APK's, you need to be rooted.

kehs

Banned
Linkhero1 said:
Did anyone install this yet? I want to know how it is on the N1 before trying it out.

Edit: nvm

There's a video of on youtube, runs like shit, it is an sdk port, afterall.

Wads

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
funny you should say that because the Amaze has like 30% lower benchmark performance despite being on the same SoC.

DAT SENSE UI!

It's all about usability for me. I love the Sense user experience and I really don't game on the phone so the benchmarks are meaningless to me. I haven't noticed any slowdown or lag so I'm happy with my decision.

joaomgcd

Hi.
I put an update up recently for my app on the Android Market, and have been getting some error reports for this new version. The thing is, I can't reproduce the errors, so I can't fix it.

Can anyone be so kind as to try the free version and see if they get any errors, please?

It's an plugin for Tasker and Locale to help you checkin automatically in Foursquare. Also works as a standalone app for wifi networks (checks you in when you connect to a network). If anyone here uses foursquare, you can try download my app here:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.joaomgcd.intents.lite&feature=search_result

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom