• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferrio

Banned
I know trying to theme my new phone is going to be a bitch.

Just looking at it I know I'll run into "I want this widget but it clashes" sorta shit. Like I can't use custom icons on folders currently, so my favorite call folder is all clashing with all the other icons.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Zefah said:
Having the option to customize is nice, but I've yet to see an Android customization that looks great and looks like it would be functionally superior to the vanilla ROM. The two you linked and almost everything on the front page of mycolorscreen look downright awful to me.

Oh, and you gotta love how everyone has a big ass time and weather widget taking up two or three rows on their home screen. HTC really started a terrible design meme with their flip clock.

To your first point, to each his own. They may not be functional to you because they arent yours, for who ever made them they probably are quite functional. I know for myself I take form and function into things, not exactly worth it to have a nice look to your phone if it makes using it a hassle.

I agree with the clock widget for most, I have an HTC Inspire, and rather quickly switched over to a custom MIUI rom, a big clock widget like that is a bit much for a phone, but for that last link to the tablet screenshot, I think its fitting for the look and is not as obtrusive as it would be on a phone.

kehs

Banned
Zefah said:
Oh, and you gotta love how everyone has a big ass time and weather widget taking up two or three rows on their home screen. HTC really started a terrible design meme with their flip clock.

Beats fisher price "press here" bevels.

Just sayin'

Husker86

Installed KH8 on Galaxy Tab 10...just like was mentioned before it is amazing. A stock ROM with no overclock is easily beating the custom ROMs available in performance. Glad because I never liked what was available for this tablet anyway as far as ROMs go.

Couldn't get the ICS Gmail to work though.

Cipherr

Zefah said:
Having the option to customize is nice, but I've yet to see an Android customization that looks great and looks like it would be functionally superior to the vanilla ROM.

That's a fairly meaningless statement when there are countless to choose from, and the option to make your own. That's the point, one size doesn't fit all. It never has and it never will. Being stuck with one style of UI, one style of Icon, one style overall is just a nightmare to me. Ill take the option of being able to make it the way I WANT it any day over having to just settle for what someone else may like, but I may not.

Having the option for that is more than 'nice'.

whats the best clock/weather widget thats not made by htc anyways? just got a nexus s and miss the smaller clock/weather widgets from my old htc already...

Husker86

nolookjones said:
whats the best clock/weather widget thats not made by htc anyways? just got a nexus s and miss the smaller clock/weather widgets from my old htc already...
I don't personally use them but I hear Beautiful Widgets is popular.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Husker86 said:
I don't personally use them but I hear Beautiful Widgets is popular.
That or simi should work fine. I use BW because there are so many themes, you can make it look like anything.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Enduin said:
To your first point, to each his own. They may not be functional to you because they arent yours, for who ever made them they probably are quite functional. I know for myself I take form and function into things, not exactly worth it to have a nice look to your phone if it makes using it a hassle.

I agree with the clock widget for most, I have an HTC Inspire, and rather quickly switched over to a custom MIUI rom, a big clock widget like that is a bit much for a phone, but for that last link to the tablet screenshot, I think its fitting for the look and is not as obtrusive as it would be on a phone.

The clocks wouldn't be so stupid if the time wasn't already displayed in the top status bar. And seriously, who needs constant updates to the weather forecast like that?

Cipherr said:
That's a fairly meaningless statement when there are countless to choose from, and the option to make your own. That's the point, one size doesn't fit all. It never has and it never will. Being stuck with one style of UI, one style of Icon, one style overall is just a nightmare to me. Ill take the option of being able to make it the way I WANT it any day over having to just settle for what someone else may like, but I may not.

Having the option for that is more than 'nice'.

To each his (or her) own, I suppose. When I rooted my Droid I tried out all sorts of stuff, but I would always end up going back to the vanilla ROM because I found it just worked the best overall.

To me, having the option is merely 'nice'.

bedlamite

mClock also has beautiful clocks but it requires a bit of tinkering (dropping .XML template files into folders)

yAsUA.jpg

bedlamite said:
mClock also has beautiful clocks but it requires a bit of tinkering (dropping .XML template files into folders)

yAsUA.jpg
I've never been able to get one like that... I've downloaded a few xml files but they never work right How can I get it to work? Also, if I have a rooted Droid X, is there a CyanogenMod Rom for a rooted gingerbread DX?

bedlamite

Zefah said:
The clocks wouldn't be so stupid if the time wasn't already displayed in the top status bar. And seriously, who needs constant updates to the weather forecast like that?
I don't care about weather updates either, but I hide my status bar so that my screens look cleaner. On my Transformer I don't use a clock widget as the Honeycomb taskbar (and the clock) can't be hidden.

Tek

Greyface said:
0_o how did that happen? Is the person(s) responsible still working for the company?

The reason why we had Pre 2s for our company phones is because I work for HP. Not much of a choice there

Thanks for the tips and links everyone.

I'm still getting used to it...but I like it. Its a shame setting up work e-mail disabled the use of gesture locking. We have to use a PIN lock...I love using the gesture to unlock my phone...

I bought a pretty nice case too...

samsung_galaxy_sg_large-237x300.jpg

The one in blue...

thefil

Hello DroidGAF,

Today I dropped my iPhone 3GS, completely shattering the screen. Now I'm left to decide whether to go Android.

My big questions about Android mostly revolve around my Mac use. How well does Android sync music/photos with OSX? I use an iTunes library and would prefer not to switch to another application. Also, wireless syncing and backup in iOS5 were pretty great for the few days I had them; is there any similar option available for Android?

For some reason picking this phone seems like a big life decision.

thefil said:
Hello DroidGAF,

Today I dropped my iPhone 3GS, completely shattering the screen. Now I'm left to decide whether to go Android.

My big questions about Android mostly revolve around my Mac use. How well does Android sync music/photos with OSX? I use an iTunes library and would prefer not to switch to another application. Also, wireless syncing and backup in iOS5 were pretty great for the few days I had them; is there any similar option available for Android?

For some reason picking this phone seems like a big life decision.

There's this cool app, iSyncr and iSyncr Wifi, which syncs music to Android from iTunes really really awesomely fast. So that covers music.

I'll let someone else solve your picture dilemma.

Oozer3993

jonnybryce said:
There's this cool app, iSyncr and iSyncr Wifi, which syncs music to Android from iTunes really really awesomely fast. So that covers music.

I'll let someone else solve your picture dilemma.

I think ISyncr can do pictures too, but I'm not sure how well.

bedlamite

RJNavarrete said:
I've never been able to get one like that... I've downloaded a few xml files but they never work right How can I get it to work? Also, if I have a rooted Droid X, is there a CyanogenMod Rom for a rooted gingerbread DX?
Create a folder on your sdcard, drop the XML files in subfolders and just call them up when you're selecting the clock widget XML templates in mclock. Not too familiar with the X, sorry, but a bit of googling around did find a beta release of Cyanogen for your phone. It's a just a beta release though, but Cyanogen releases are known for being pretty stable. I'm currently using an alpha release, and it works better than the stock ROM (After updating to the latest OTA release, incoming calls would FC my phone, which pissed me off greatly and pushed me to throw on a custom ROM).

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
irfan said:
Weak ass cover up attempt.
Its a conspiracy!

Anyone know of any classy headphone/headset combos? Preferably earbuds and preferably not in-ear. I rock a pair of 595s for serious listening so audio quality is not a concern, purely aesthetics is all I'm looking for. Inline mic/clicker is a must. Considering just buying one of the Apple ones. Gonna need to get some new earphones for the Galaxy Nexus.

Rubixcuba

Banned
It's driving me crazy but I cannot find a way for my Samsung Galaxy S2 to have a message counter. Y'know, when I go into Messaging, I want it to have next to the contact the number of messages in total, or how many I've sent.
I don't seriously have to download an app? My old Nokia had that feature and so does my friends old S1

j-wood

I have a very strong feeling that the Galaxy Nexus will launch on the Verizon network with a locked bootloader. Especially with the recent information that the RAZR will be unlocked internationally, but Verizon forced Motorola to lock it on their network.

Thoughts?

rozay

Banned
Rubixcuba said:
It's driving me crazy but I cannot find a way for my Samsung Galaxy S2 to have a message counter. Y'know, when I go into Messaging, I want it to have next to the contact the number of messages in total, or how many I've sent.
I don't seriously have to download an app? My old Nokia had that feature and so does my friends old S1
That's odd, stock android has it and from what I can remember the original galaxy S had it as well.

Khal_B said:
On a serious note, what are the chances of the S2 getting an OS upgrade to ICS?

Got to be pretty good I think, hardware is more than capable and they'll face a shitstorm of bad PR if they don't update their (current) high end model.

so have any phones been announced to get a ICS update?

In the market for a new phone. Not sure if I could afford a Galaxy Nexus.

Might pick up a second hand or cheap Nexus S after the new nexus is out.

JayDub

So I might be joining the Android family with the Galaxy Nexus (or is it called the Nexus Prime?). I have a couple of questions:

1. I know it depends on the manufacturer, but in general: When I plug in my iPhone in my car via USB, I get Playlist, Artists..etc etc, just like on my iPhone. What is everyone's experience with plugging their Android phones via USB into their car? Does it take the playlist info from the phone? Or does it display all the songs as if it was a USB drive?

2. If it doesn't put in the audio information, do you guys just use bluetooth?

3. How do I put media in my phone? How does the computer recognize the device? As a USB device?

4. Do I have to create playlists and such in the device itself?

5. Do I have to do any conversions with the movie files I have in my PC? Or is it drag and drop?

6. Is the file type displayed when browsing the media in the phone? I think it looks tacky to see, "Inception.avi"

Thanks for all your help, guys!

dark10x said:
Thanks for the post! I can definitely understand where you're coming from. It seems that preference is going to vary based on how ones uses their phone. Some of those features simply aren't important or necessary for me but I can see why they would be quite valuable to others. I don't think those additions warrant calling iOS a piece of trash, though.

I can dig that. I'm not sure why you'd need a time widget, though. :p

I guess I'm not really a fan of customization as it always ends up feeling a bit unpolished. Customizing aspects of Android reminds me of people loading their machines up with Windows Blinds on XP. Having a Pandora widget is cool, though.
yeah, even though their fake multitasking makes IRCing useless, i still wouldn't call iOS trash.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
funkystudent said:

Nexus S is confirmed to be getting it.

funkystudent said:

Motorola said on their twitter that the razr and bionic would be getting ICS.
I'm sure sony said their 2011 xperia line would get it to, but don't quote me on that.

Angst

JayDub said:
So I might be joining the Android family with the Galaxy Nexus (or is it called the Nexus Prime?). I have a couple of questions:

1. I know it depends on the manufacturer, but in general: When I plug in my iPhone in my car via USB, I get Playlist, Artists..etc etc, just like on my iPhone. What is everyone's experience with plugging their Android phones via USB into their car? Does it take the playlist info from the phone? Or does it display all the songs as if it was a USB drive?

3. How do I put media in my phone? How does the computer recognize the device? As a USB device?

5. Do I have to do any conversions with the movie files I have in my PC? Or is it drag and drop?

6. Is the file type displayed when browsing the media in the phone? I think it looks tacky to see, "Inception.avi"

3. It recognizes as a USB drive when you enable it via a drop-down menu.
4. If you want to, but you can make them on your pc as well. It all depends what music player you use.
5. If you use the right player you can play any file. My Desire HD went missing so I'm back to my HTC Hero now and don't remember the name of the player right now.
6. Depends on what media browser you use. Astro, video player etc

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
kinggroin said:
I said abomination, not trash, I believe
It's hard to comment on Android in a positive fashion with this kind of attitude flying around.

How, exactly, is it an abomination?

equap

Banned
i keep getting "internal error Access is not allowed for this user agent in secondapps.com/neogaf"

my user agent is Android. the page will load if i switch it to iPhone but why does it do that? other pages load find as Android.

I'm running CM7.1

edit: nevermind...it's showing that message for pretty much every sites now, except google.com

jiien

dark10x said:
It's hard to comment on Android in a positive fashion with this kind of attitude flying around.

How, exactly, is it an abomination?

Actually, he (and Coperdickus when he's messing around) are the only two sources of such an attitude. Therefore, you are more than welcome to speak of Android in a positive fashion around the rest of us.

andycapps

JayDub said:

It looks like you've already had most of yours answered, but for #5, I suggest Moboplayer. I haven't had it be unable to play any video files yet. Seems like the VLC for Android.

Zeppu

Wow, one would expect a site called geek.com to have at the very least mastered cleartype. To to mention not saving screengrabs as jpgs.

SoulstealerMex

Neo Member
Ey guys, I don't know where to ask but.. Does anyone here has a smart tv with android? If so, how well it works? Is it compatible with everything android or are there any restrictions?

I'm considering buying a sony one but I want some opinions!

AndyD

aka andydumi
JayDub said:

The rest seem covered, but for 1 it depends on the car manufacturer, not just the phone. The integration built into the car's headunit. My car's USB simply shows like a folder tree of songs just like you would in Windows with a USB key. My friend's car has some sort of music manager that also works very well, with sorting and all. Some cars have special Apple integration too. So it depends on the car as to what you end up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom