• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Copernicus said:
I'm just having a laugh at the people exaggerating about pentile screens.

It's 720p, the individual pixels are just a little lower quality.

If you really want to dragged into lunacy:

http://www.tested.com/news/pentile-vs-real-stripe-amoled-displays-whats-different/1868/

Also always remember that at a certain point the difference is not visible anymore, as all the pixels/subpixels are too small to be visible at a regular viewing distance.

I love it when Copernicus confuses someone. It happens every page in this thread.

kamil said:
Camera and GPU.

Both are debatable it seems. The S2 camera has more megapixels but as others have pointed out it's not just about that. The Nexus camera is supposed to be faster as well as more feature rich, panoramic mode for instance.

Not sure about the GPU but I'm sure an argument could be made either way. Some of the GPU is software dependent if I'm not mistaken so we should wait and see how the Nexus benchmarks with ICS before stating that the S2 is better.

krzy123

AndyD said:
Also always remember that at a certain point the difference is not visible anymore, as all the pixels/subpixels are too small to be visible at a regular viewing distance.

I love it when Copernicus confuses someone. It happens every page in this thread.

Are they?

I mean in the link they have a subpixel tester! Look at this guy:

20519-samsung_amoled_display_middle.jpg

Shepard

D'ultimate said:
Both are debatable it seems. The S2 camera has more megapixels but as others have pointed out it's not just about that. The Nexus camera is supposed to be faster as well as more feature rich, panoramic mode for instance.

Not sure about the GPU but I'm sure an argument could be made either way. Some of the GPU is software dependent if I'm not mistaken so we should wait and see how the Nexus benchmarks with ICS before stating that the S2 is better.
ICS performace will be the deciding factor about the Nexus, but if we take raw values, S2 is the winner: Exynos is the better processor, s2 has expandable Memory up to 32Gb, front facing camera is better (We don't know enough about Nexus's rear camera to consider the s2 the winner), and I consider hardware button and Touchwiz pluses for the S2 too. The thing I give to the Nexus is Screen size, and even this is debatable.
Edit: forgot about Gorilla Glass too, do we know what type of glass the Nexus will have?

kamil

Neo Member
D'ultimate said:

I don't doubt that Nexus will have capable camera but Galaxy SII camera is considered to be one of the best of 8Mpix camera found in phones (probably the best when GSII was released) and I really don't see 5 Mpix unit to beat it. And it's also packs quite a nice set of features.

There are few benchmarks for GPU found in Galaxy Nexus (just not clocked as high) and it doesn't seem that clock boost will be enough to match Mali-400 found in SGSII. SGX540 used in Galaxy Nexus was used in first Galaxy S, it would be really strange if Mali would got beaten by GPU it replaced in Samsung high-end line.

I'm not saying that everything will run better on GSII, I think its clear that Galaxy Nexus has advantage on the software side.

Shepard said:
ICS performace will be the deciding factor about the Nexus, but if we take raw values, S2 is the winner: Exynos is the better processor, s2 has removable battery and expandable Memory up to 32Gb, front facing camera is better (We don't know enough about Nexus's rear camera to consider the s2 the winner), and I consider hardware button and Touchwiz pluses for the S2 too. The thing I give to the Nexus is Screen size, and even this is debatable.
Edit: forgot about Gorilla Glass too, do we know what type of glass the Nexus will have?

You are convincing me quite well to go for the S2.
I just noticed, though, that the galaxy s2 comes with android 3.2 gingerbread and not honeycomb. I must be able to update at least to honeycomb right now, am I not?

EDIT: it's 2.3 Gingerbread, not 3.2, sorry

bytesized said:
I just noticed, though, that the galaxy s2 comes with android 3.2 gingerbread and not honeycomb. I must be able to update at least to honeycomb right now, am I not?

Honeycomb is for tablets, not phones. Gingerbread is the latest Android Phone OS.

MiniKelly

Nexus: larger screen than s2. Stock android.

If you live in USA, you don't have a choice. Verizom gets nexus exclusively for a certain time. All others get the s2

bytesized said:

EDIT: it's 2.3 Gingerbread, not 3.2, sorry

I think a convincing argument has been made to my question of what is better in the S2 than the Nexus.

I don't think that one should conclude that the S2 is the better phone as yet.

Hieberrr

SimleuqiR said:
I'm really excited about the keyboard update. I know there are many choices for keyboards on Android, but I've always been a bit partial to the stock keyboard on Gingerbread. Happy to hear they have improved it.

These don't look half bad:

So.. is this supposed to be an extension of the phone or is it a phone it itself?
Although if the watch is a phone in itself, I can see this thing going for 300 minimum.

I want one! :D

jayb

you guys are starting to make me reconsider the S2, instead of waiting for the nexus to come to t-mobile u.s.

How does the non-exynos t-mobile S2 processor compare to the prime processor?

Shepard

jayb said:
you guys are starting to make me reconsider the S2, instead of waiting for the nexus to come to t-mobile u.s.

How does the non-exynos t-mobile S2 processor compare to the prime processor?
Exynos has a better GPU, which gives it advantages in games, apps and overall performance. T-mobiles qualcomm is higher clocked, so it helps to compensate the loss and has better connectivities performance, so you can expect better 3g speeds. For everyone thinking in buying a s2 right now, I say wait till the nexus launches so we can do proper field tests with it.

ShdwDrake

Banned
Shepard said:
ICS performace will be the deciding factor about the Nexus, but if we take raw values, S2 is the winner: Exynos is the better processor, s2 has removable battery ...

The Nexus has a removable battery.

Shepard said:
Exynos has a better GPU, which gives it advantages in games, apps and overall performance. T-mobiles qualcomm is higher clocked, so it helps to compensate the loss and has better connectivities performance, so you can expect better 3g speeds. For everyone thinking in buying a s2 right now, I say wait till the nexus launches so we can do proper field tests with it.

Yeah, I think I will wait, since it should be less than a month, I would like to check the screen in person right against the S2's and decide. Now that I think about it... is it a worldwide release? European here.

tino

Banned
Guys, don't buy the SGS2.

There are nine thousand new Android phones annuonced in Japan a few days ago. All of them sport 720p desplays.

I gaurantee the HTC or Moto version of the Galaxy Nexus will be announced within a month.

Lesiroth

tino said:

There are nine thousand new Android phones annuonced in Japan a few days ago. All of them sport 720p desplays.

I gaurantee the HTC or Moto version of the Galaxy Nexus will be announced within a month.
Isn't the S2 the fastest Android phone released right now?

Shepard

tino said:

And when these cellphones launch there will be rumours about the next gen quad core phones, if we follow this logic, we'll never buy anything. just settle for a good phone, with a fair price, try to stay future proof (buy one of the best of the current ones), and be happy.

Gabyskra

Banned
The 8mp argument in favor of the S2 camera is silly. Canon's new flagship DSLR is 18mp (for 6.800 dollars). It's going to be better than many cameras with more megapixels. It's all about the sensor, and the nexus's will kick ass.

Shepard said:
And when these cellphones launch there will be rumours about the next gen quad core phones, if we follow this logic, we'll never buy anything. just settle for a good phone, with a fair price, try to stay future proof (buy one of the best of the current ones), and be happy.
Exactly...I asked what phone to get a month and a half ago and everyone said to wait for the Prime. I was inpatient and bought a S2. I have no regrets whatsoever. The Prime could come out today and I wouldn't be jealous or anything because the S2 is a great phone itself.

tino

Banned
Shepard said:
If you can buy a GSG2 for 50 on wirefly or on corperate discount or whatever,go ahead and buy it. Until then its still a phone with 2011 spec.

Cipherr

Shepard said:

This really is true. The Galaxy S3 should be due around early 2nd quarter of next year, and you can bet your ass a new flagship LG device, perhaps the next Droid, and a new HTC flagship device will be announced, and pending for the 3rd quarter when the Galaxy S3 is launching.

It never actually stops, don't buy for the sake of the bleeding edge of tech, buy a phone you like. You have a lot to choose from.

bedlamite

Yeah like it's been mentioned before in this thread, if you see an Android phone you like just go for it. New Android models get announced literally in weeks. I got my Sensation just 2 months ago and already htc's put out 2 updates to my phone (the XL and XE).

Samsung's SGS2 is packing plenty of power, without going into nerdy shit like CPU comparisons. Whatever hiccups the OS has now will very likely all be smoothed out by h/w acceleration in ICS.

The Faceless Master said:
i thought people only downgraded for warez and homebrew?

have you considered Windows Phone 7?

I really like the looks of the OS, but I am usually much in favor of google stuff than windows (chrome, mail, calendar, etc.) so I am kind of scared of going that route, but maybe I should investigate it a bit more. Which is the top end W7 phone? Is there anything coming close to the GS2 or Nexus?

bedlamite said:
Yeah like it's been mentioned before in this thread, if you see an Android phone you like just go for it. New Android models get announced literally in weeks. I got my Sensation just 2 months ago and already htc's put out 2 updates to my phone (the XL and XE).

Samsung's SGS2 is packing plenty of power, without going into nerdy shit like CPU comparisons. Whatever hiccups the OS has now will very likely all be smoothed out by h/w acceleration in ICS.

Agreed @Bytesized.There is no such thing as a perfect Android phone. That's what choice brings. Lots of models with no one model being top of the range or excelling everywhere. Case in point the GS2. Build quality is often bettered by HTC and Moto. Processor kicks everyones ass. Great camera. Touchwiz is ugly. If you are considering a GS2 you should be considering a Galaxy Nexus cos within the week I'd expect we'll have release dates.

bytesized said:
I really like the looks of the OS, but I am usually much in favor of google stuff than windows (chrome, mail, calendar, etc.) so I am kind of scared of going that route, but maybe I should investigate it a bit more. Which is the top end W7 phone? Is there anything coming close to the GS2 or Nexus?

Omnia 7 is currently the topdog, but Nokia will release a flagship device tomorrow methinks (rumoured to be Euroland only). If you use Google stuff day to day then don't look further than Android as the Google integration is immense.

OriginalThinking said:
Agreed @Bytesized.There is no such thing as a perfect Android phone. That's what choice brings. Lots of models with no one model being top of the range or excelling everywhere. Case in point the GS2. Build quality is often bettered by HTC and Moto. Processor kicks everyones ass. Great camera. Touchwiz is ugly. If you are considering a GS2 you should be considering a Galaxy Nexus cos within the week I'd expect we'll have release dates.

Omnia 7 is currently the topdog, but Nokia will release a flagship device tomorrow methinks (rumoured to be Euroland only). If you use Google stuff day to day then don't look further than Android as the Google integration is immense.

Yeah, that's what I will do, thanks! I'll try to see that 720p screen in person, see if it changes my mind about the GS2 :)

bytesized said:
high end WP7 device? no such thing.

I ask again, can anyone help me with the Xperia Arc's RAM issues?

It takes 10 seconds for the phone to open my contacts list, 20 seconds for messages.

Every time I quit a game like Angry Birds, the home icons and widgets go blank and start re-appearing one by one.

If I have the browser open in the background, the home screen transitions become sluggish.

Camera, photo album, etc take up to 30 seconds to launch.

:(

kehs

Banned
DeathJr said:

It takes 10 seconds for the phone to open my contacts list, 20 seconds for messages.

Every time I quit a game like Angry Birds, the home icons and widgets go blank and start re-appearing one by one.

If I have the browser open in the background, the home screen transitions become sluggish.

Check your processes , Home > Menu > Settings > Applications > Running Services

Do you see anything out of the ordinary there running for longs periods of time, or taking up large amounts of memory?

DeathJr said:

Try clearing the cache of your apps. Is there a CPU monitor app you can download from the marketplace? Failing that you might need to factory reset. I presume a hard reboot (leaving the phone switched on, pulling the battery out + replacing it) doesn't help?

Copernicus said:
Check your processes , Home > Menu > Settings > Applications > Running Services

Do you see anything out of the ordinary there running for longs periods of time, or taking up large amounts of memory?

I do that all the time, nothing is running in the background that I don't want. Normally it shows me 100mb of free RAM, but it's still very slow.

Also, many times the screen will simply not respond, and when I try to press anything it always results in a 'force close or wait' error.

kehs

Banned
DeathJr said:
I do that all the time, nothing is running in the background that I don't want. Normally it shows me 100mb of free RAM, but it's still very slow.

Also, many times the screen will simply not respond, and when I try to press anything it always results in a 'force close or wait' error.

Hmm, like OT mentioned, you might have to do a factory reset, to see if somethings running amuck. Otherwise it might be bad hardware.

I guess so, had similar albeit less frustrating issues with my HTC Desire HD, and a factory reset fixed that.

I simply hate the pre-installed carrier apps that come with contract phones. They run in the background all the time, and there is no way to disable/delete them. :X

Lesiroth

DeathJr said:
I guess so, had similar albeit less frustrating issues with my HTC Desire HD, and a factory reset fixed that.

I simply hate the pre-installed carrier apps that come with contract phones. They run in the background all the time, and there is no way to disable/delete them. :X
You could try out the Cyanogen port for your phone. I can't vouch for its stability though.

dream

Hello, Coperdickus.

Please help me find a free and good Instapaper client that actually uses the Instapaper API rather than just scraping the web site.

Just a question for you guys. Looking to switch to Android without paying more than £250 GBP or so. Been looking at the Nexus S, looks nice, especially knowing it will get ICS in the near future. Looking for something unlocked or PAYG on O2. Any other suggestions?

Since I'm upgrading from an iPhone 3G (aka slowest phone I have used) I am not particularly bothered with having bleeding-edge tech, but if there is a more recent alternative it'd be nice to hear about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom