• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groof

You can do that with an N4 now. Put it in airplane mode and don't use it at all. Insane battery life.

Yeah, yeah I'm not being serious

If it was viable, I'd turn off every app that does any sort of background syncing except for the Google services I use/need. That'd probably get someone up to two days of usage on a single charge.

If it was viable, I'd turn off every app that does any sort of background syncing except for the Google services I use/need. That'd probably get someone up to two days of usage on a single charge.

There are apps that can do that. Can't remember names though, or whether root is required.

Groof

There are apps that can do that. Can't remember names though, or whether root is required.

You mean Greenify. I use it, but I also said if it was viable. There are some apps I use on a regular basis, mostly different chat services. They eat way too much battery for anyone's good. Not to mention there's three of them going off at the same time.
One of these days I'll cut myself off from everything social. One day.

malyce

Yo man, it's good, but not great.
I'm waiting for the days when I can get through a full day with only 20% used. Oh, what a glorious future that is.
Just turn off the phone when you're about to leave and turn it back on when you get home.

You mean Greenify. I use it, but I also said if it was viable. There are some apps I use on a regular basis, mostly different chat services. They eat way too much battery for anyone's good. Not to mention there's three of them going off at the same time.
One of these days I'll cut myself off from everything social. One day.

I quit Facebook a couple of weeks ago and stopped tweeting. Feels good.

SimleuqiR

So, could this be the real Babble?

http://www.skloink.com/apps/foto-toont-google-chatdienst-babble/

babble.jpg

If it's a fake, it's very well made, inline with the way the new G+ app looks.

In Ingles:

http://www.omgdroid.com/google-babble-mockups-blow-fake-leaks-water/

GSMarena did the Galaxy S4 vs the HTC One. Really long article: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s4_vs_htc_one-review-913.php

Overall they conclude that the S4 won in most of the key areas, and the places where HTC did win was only by a narrow margin (video, music, social stuff). They aren't saying one is better than the other, but they clearly are saying that lol. They also dropped a bomb on the htc one camera at the end there saying "And its still camera was really nowhere near the level of the Samsung Galaxy S4 13MP shooter. Ultrapixels or not, 4MP can barely rival 2010 flagships on most occasions."

And no one on Earth is shocked except the real HTC diehards. Give it up, HTC is screwed. I love how there is so much cognitive dissonance here that some people actually think Sense is better than TouchWiz.

And no one on Earth is shocked except the real HTC diehards. Give it up, HTC is screwed. I love how there is so much cognitive dissonance here that some people actually think Sense is better than TouchWiz.

Touchwiz is ugly as hell. I hate using my gf's S3 because of it. Sense has now been slimmed down enough to not be as intrusive. Theold versions were but after using the One it's so much better.

As I said earlier, I really can't thing of an uglier UI.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
GSMarena did the Galaxy S4 vs the HTC One. Really long article: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s4_vs_htc_one-review-913.php

Overall they conclude that the S4 won in most of the key areas, and the places where HTC did win was only by a narrow margin (video, music, social stuff). They aren't saying one is better than the other, but they clearly are saying that lol. They also dropped a bomb on the htc one camera at the end there saying "And its still camera was really nowhere near the level of the Samsung Galaxy S4 13MP shooter. Ultrapixels or not, 4MP can barely rival 2010 flagships on most occasions."

Do we know if they have one of the prerelease units with the shitty camera firmware or not?

At any rate pretty much what I expected.

Touchwiz is ugly as hell. I hate using my gf's S3 because of it. Sense has now been slimmed down enough to not be as intrusive. Theold versions were but after using the One it's so much better.

As I said earlier, I really can't thing of an uglier UI.

nonsense.

Do we know if they have one of the prerelease units with the shitty camera firmware or not?

they gonna have to Polygon the review?

I'm pretty sure it was just that one guy who had the wrong HTC One sent to him. His pics looked muchhhhh worse than other review sites.

But there's nothing surprising really, 13mp will always be able to capture more detail, especially if the software is good, and samsungs is.

I'm pretty sure it was just that one guy who had the wrong HTC One sent to him. His pics looked muchhhhh worse than other review sites.

But there's nothing surprising really, 13mp will always be able to capture more detail, especially if the software is good, and samsungs is.

And this whole page we've been lead to believe that Sense is better than TouchWiz! And yet somehow Samsung has better camera software? Who could have guessed?!

Sure would be bad if I also mentioned Samsung's music player with a 10-band equalizer and Music Hub, the streaming music service for people outside the US and Google Music territory, and Samsung's video player which plays back just about everything with hardware acceleration including mkv container files and even supports softsubs, and Samsung's stock browser which is by far the best of all stock browsers.

People like to slag S-Voice but don't realize that while Google Now is great for voice searches, it can't be used to control the phone itself by voice command which is what S-Voice is for. I would be remiss if I also didn't mention S-Note, which seems awesome on the Note and Note II but actually is available on the S III (and S4) but with finger input instead of stylus input for scribbling out quick notes to yourself. Then there's S-Planner, the calendar app which integrates with Google Calendar and offers impressive features including a full-pane widget for a whole month at a glance.

What about AllShare, the DLNA media streamer app which lets you stream videos and music from your phone to any DLNA-compliant device like a computer running Windows or a DLNA-capable receiver? If you don't want to fuck with DLNA, Samsung has always led the way with MHL and your phone works with a USB to HDMI adapter for direct connection to any HDMI output like a TV.

Then there's the stuff that Samsung actually adds to the Android OS which you can't get anywhere else, such as Multi-Window which lets you run 2 apps at once in split-screen. Only Samsung integrates stylus input at the OS level, which is why you can use Air View to hover over objects to preview them in the Gallery with the stylus on the Note II and you'll be able to do it with your finger on the S4. Of course TouchWiz is famous for the Notification toggles which many people (including Google) have copied, but nobody has gotten to work as well as Samsung has. And then there's Page Buddy, I love how when I plug my headphones into my phone it whips out a new hidden home screen pane which I can keep my media player widgets on for instant access to playback. When I pull the S-Pen stylus out of my Note II, it whips out a pane which shows me my S-Notes and gives me instant access to start a new note page.

Oh right, and while I'm busy gushing. My phone has a microSD slot and a removable battery too. Apparently they are selling 4000 mAh high-density batteries on eBay which fit into the same space as the 3100 mAh battery my Note II comes with. I'm thinking about getting one of these monsters for even more juice because I use my phone so much to play this game I'm addicted to, I put in about 8 hours of Screen On time from the moment my phone leaves the charger to when it gets plugged back in at night and I'm actually killing my battery by then. I wonder how long other phones would last with the kind of usage I'm hammering my phone with. They would probably be dead halfway through my day.

?

Only one guy said that, seemingly for aesthetic reasons.

Do you work for Samsung? Serious question.

I don't work for Samsung. Sure would be nice if randomly accusing people of being astroturfers was a bannable offense, especially when doing so without a shred of proof just to try and dismiss an entire argument.

Groof

So much rage-filled love for Samsung.
They've always had good software features that work, are useful and are enticing, but that doesn't change the fact that when it comes to UI design, they're about as good as a crippled five-year old that's blindfolded.

I don't work for Samsung. Sure would be nice if randomly accusing people of being astroturfers was a bannable offense, especially when doing so without a shred of proof just to try and dismiss an entire argument.

It's hardly the worst accusation in the world. But you've got to admit, from time to time you do across as being a bit of a Samsung fanboy. There's nothing inherently wrong with it of course. Sammy make great technology and have pushed the industry along massively.

That's probably a bit out of line. I and others make fun of TouchWiz as if it raped our mothers and is releasing greenhouses gases into the atmosphere. So in response it's only natural that Unknown Soldier and the other Galaxy fans defend Samsung as the cure for cancer. It's all just part of our hyperbolic back and forth and opinions that we probably tone down significantly when talking to non Android nerds. It's fun and games.

Nicktendo86

It is fun and games and is one of the reasons I love android. Have you looked in the iOS threads? They have nothing to discuss other than how to get icloud to work.

It is fun and games and is one of the reasons I love android. Have you looked in the iOS threads? They have nothing to discuss other than how to get icloud to work.

Lol. Diversity is the spice of life. I love a good debate. I'd get bored in here if it wasn't for Faceless and co. We might have diametrically opposing views on most things Android but he's alright by me.

Talon

They've always had good software features that work, are useful and are enticing, but that doesn't change the fact that when it comes to UI design, they're about as good as a crippled five-year old that's blindfolded.

Fantastic. 10/10

Talon

Sure would be bad if I also mentioned Samsung's music player with a 10-band equalizer and Music Hub, the streaming music service for people outside the US and Google Music territory, and Samsung's video player which plays back just about everything with hardware acceleration including mkv container files and even supports softsubs, and Samsung's stock browser which is by far the best of all stock browsers.

People like to slag S-Voice but don't realize that while Google Now is great for voice searches, it can't be used to control the phone itself by voice command which is what S-Voice is for. I would be remiss if I also didn't mention S-Note, which seems awesome on the Note and Note II but actually is available on the S III (and S4) but with finger input instead of stylus input for scribbling out quick notes to yourself. Then there's S-Planner, the calendar app which integrates with Google Calendar and offers impressive features including a full-pane widget for a whole month at a glance.

What about AllShare, the DLNA media streamer app which lets you stream videos and music from your phone to any DLNA-compliant device like a computer running Windows or a DLNA-capable receiver? If you don't want to fuck with DLNA, Samsung has always led the way with MHL and your phone works with a USB to HDMI adapter for direct connection to any HDMI output like a TV.

Then there's the stuff that Samsung actually adds to the Android OS which you can't get anywhere else, such as Multi-Window which lets you run 2 apps at once in split-screen. Only Samsung integrates stylus input at the OS level, which is why you can use Air View to hover over objects to preview them in the Gallery with the stylus on the Note II and you'll be able to do it with your finger on the S4. Of course TouchWiz is famous for the Notification toggles which many people (including Google) have copied, but nobody has gotten to work as well as Samsung has. And then there's Page Buddy, I love how when I plug my headphones into my phone it whips out a new hidden home screen pane which I can keep my media player widgets on for instant access to playback. When I pull the S-Pen stylus out of my Note II, it whips out a pane which shows me my S-Notes and gives me instant access to start a new note page.

Oh right, and while I'm busy gushing. My phone has a microSD slot and a removable battery too. Apparently they are selling 4000 mAh high-density batteries on eBay which fit into the same space as the 3100 mAh battery my Note II comes with. I'm thinking about getting one of these monsters for even more juice because I use my phone so much to play this game I'm addicted to, I put in about 8 hours of Screen On time from the moment my phone leaves the charger to when it gets plugged back in at night and I'm actually killing my battery by then. I wonder how long other phones would last with the kind of usage I'm hammering my phone with. They would probably be dead halfway through my day.
Get a room.

Futureman

friend wants us other friends to install Path.

is it really that different from other social networks? I guess he's touting it's more inclusive in that you share stuff with just your friends.... pretty sure you can easily do that on FB. What's so great about Path?

Talon

friend wants us other friends to install Path.

is it really that different from other social networks? I guess he's touting it's more inclusive in that you share stuff with just your friends.... pretty sure you can easily do that on FB. What's so great about Path?
Path is exclusively about private sharing between friends.

Sort of the antithesis of Facebook and Instagram.

Nicktendo86

So i've given the pie controls in CM a go, not a big fan. It is a bit fiddly to get the controls to show up I find, is so much easier to just use the normal nav bar buttons. It coul be useful for games I play in full screen though like Temple Run.

gcubed

well, you pulled the whole Google Now doesnt control your phone thing straight out of your ass... and then the rest looks like you copy and pasted PR. Dont be so grandiose and over the top with your imagery and you most likely wouldn't be asked if you worked for samsung

Ain't that the truth. My iPhone does everything I could possibly want.....in the most boring way possible.

I hate having to wait a month.

Cipherr

I think that notion would be much easier to swallow if people that presented it weren't pointing to HTC and Sense as some sort of 'better example of how to design UI'.

Both of them are laughable, and have been for a long as I can remember.

So, could this be the real Babble?

babble.jpg

Now that looks good. I could live with unified messaging that looked like that. Easy on the eyes.

Nicktendo86

Ain't that the truth. My iPhone does everything I could possibly want.....in the most boring way possible.

I hate having to wait a month.
I am sometimes envious of the simplicity of ios, I can get sick of flashing ROMs and setting up my home screens the way I like etc. Then I use my 4th gen iPod touch and remember why I love android so much, the customisation options and possibilities are so exciting compared to the staleness of iOS.

Just got an Xperia J delivered to the office for my dad. Such a slick device. Shame it's got such shitty specs and capacitive buttons.

Something in a similar size but with onscreen buttons (maybe 4.3" to counter the space used by that) but with better specs (MSM8960T), 720p screen, 16GB storage and 2200mAh battery would be absolutely amazing. I would love to get a phone like that, the size is just perfect. Sony's Android 4.0.4 is nice but I will update it to 4.1.2 when I get home (supposedly 4.2.2 is on the way :O) it should remove some of the performance hitches.

Groof

I think that notion would be much easier to swallow if people that presented it weren't pointing to HTC and Sense as some sort of 'better example of how to design UI'.

Now this is true, but at least HTC are going forward while Samsung are seemingly going backward.

buhdeh

Sense is miles ahead, visually. If Samsung would just invest some money into UI and hardware design, they'd be unstoppable.

Zeppu

So you think anyone from the Facebook app team has actually ever used the app? I mean seriously when the fuck are they going to fix the backstack? Why is it that clicking on notifications (either in the notification shade or in icons up top) and pressing back take me back to that screen. Some times, when I'm chatting with someone while doing other things I end up pressing back tens of times and the goddamn app takes me back between chat window and notification screen.

Seriously. Fix this shit.

mturco

Sense is miles ahead, visually. If Samsung would just invest some money into UI and hardware design, they'd be unstoppable.

I'll take Sense over Touchwiz any day, but I won't call it miles ahead. HTC does some really weird stuff functionally - from weird (launcher) to pointless (app drawer). And even after all this time, Sense still feels kind of Gingerbread-like to me (it's mostly the icons and dock). Although they did nail it on the wallpapers.

Touchwiz on the other hand just feels like a bastardized version of stock. They could make it so much better by just not using that horrid color of green everywhere (especially in the notification shade) and not using those terrible, childish icons. If they did that I wouldn't have nearly as much of a problem with it.

Groof

So you think anyone from the Facebook app team has actually ever used the app? I mean seriously when the fuck are they going to fix the backstack? Why is it that clicking on notifications (either in the notification shade or in icons up top) and pressing back take me back to that screen. Some times, when I'm chatting with someone while doing other things I end up pressing back tens of times and the goddamn app takes me back between chat window and notification screen.

Yeah, really. I thought things were gonna get better when they released the major code overhaul update, but other than the app being smoother everything else's still as shitty...

And the unreliability of the Twitter app. I know the people who make the apps at these sort of companies must be trying, and trying hard, but how the companies don't feel some sort of shame with the quality of the apps to spend a few more bob on building things better.

Zeppu

No. They aren't trying. This isn't some stupid shitty company which sells cheeses and making an app to tell you about the cheeses. These are companies built from the ground up by developers. Facebook does the hackatons and all that shit to find the best of the best to hire. You're telling me these massive company cannot create a decent Android app when individuals have released better functioning and better performing apps for the same platform by using public APIs.

They're just being lazy and don't give a shit because they know people will have to use what they produce anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom