• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Playing around with the Google plus app reminds me of what an optimized app feels like. They really need to optimize Chrome. It's embarrassing.

Playing around with the Google plus app reminds me of what an optimized app feels like. They really need to optimize Chrome. It's embarrassing.
I'm starting to lose faith on this front. I thought they were saving the big version update for the big upgrade that would finally fix all its issues but then they brought up to version parity (I think?) and it's still pretty similar...........still hoping they release an update with KLP.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Speaking of Chrome. Is there anyway for it to remember your most visited websites? Instead of typing m.neogaf.com in the address bar can't I just type "n" and it'll automatically recognize what I mean and suggest m.neogaf.com?

Even though I have mobile Gaf as one of my bookmarks I have to type most of the address for it to show up as a suggestion.

I miss that on my old Optimus One running Gingerbread.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So Kaspersky is going the AVG route and releasing their app for free on Android. There is a premium version with more features, but the standard Kaspersky will let you update and scan (manually).

PS: That HTC One Camera Hotfix looks rather bossly.

VanWinkle

Speaking of Chrome. Is there anyway for it to remember your most visited websites? Instead of typing m.neogaf.com in the address bar can't I just type "n" and it'll automatically recognize what I mean and suggest m.neogaf.com?

Even though I have mobile Gaf as one of my bookmarks I have to type most of the address for it to show up as a suggestion.

I miss that on my old Optimus One running Gingerbread.

I usually just go to the bookmarks page and the click the left tab on the bottom left of the screen. It shows your most visited pages. The mobile Neogaf website is always on there for me so it's easy that way, lol.

Vanillalite

In case people missed this in the HTC One thread....

Phandroid!

So, was the “ultra pixel” camera really to blame? No. Not the hardware anyway. The cause for the soft images was, and always has been nothing more than a software issue, something HTC could easily fix in a software update. The good news? They have. While testing out the HTC One’s camera prowess, HardwareZone.com.sg has gotten hold of an official update for the HTC One that finally addresses Sense’s camera quality (all their devices have suffered from this same issue, mind you). The update gets rid of the excessive noise filtering bringing about images that are much more sharp and crisp. Taking a look at the before and after pics are like night and day. I almost can’t believe it’s the same phone! What a difference an update makes.

HTC-One-camera-update.png

Would be intersting to see what reviewers would think post patch...

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I usually just go to the bookmarks page and the click the left tab on the bottom left of the screen. It shows your most visited pages. The mobile Neogaf website is always on there for me so it's easy that way, lol.

Yeah that's what I'm doing now but it'd be nice if it remembered that n = neogaf, s = subscribed threads, g = gaming.

I'm starting to lose faith on this front. I thought they were saving the big version update for the big upgrade that would finally fix all its issues but then they brought up to version parity (I think?) and it's still pretty similar...........still hoping they release an update with KLP.

Nobody needs to speculate about the development of Chrome for Android. Just Google "Chrome Issues". As it's open source you can see exactly what they are working on. From reading it, the team know that it's not yet buttery smooth and that a lot more work is required. And they are currently putting together benchmarks to enable them to understand performance better and get to the root of what is causing the frame rate drops. Unfortunately it's not going to happen overnight.

Nobody needs to speculate about the development of Chrome for Android. Just Google "Chrome Issues". As it's open source you can see exactly what they are working on. From reading it, the team know that it's not yet buttery smooth and that a lot more work is required. And they are currently putting together benchmarks to enable them to understand performance better and get to the root of what is causing the frame rate drops. Unfortunately it's not going to happen overnight.

Maybe they could just chat with the developers at Samsung, LG, Motorola, and HTC who all customize the stock browser to make it perform better on their respective hardware. I mean, this isn't exactly rocket science here, optimizing a web browser.

Groof

It is strange though, considering the stock browser was so smooth in comparison. I'm not tech savvy enough to understand what goes on in all the changelog stuff, but couldn't they just have added upon what they already had? Skin the thing, add in tab sync and call it a day.

Maybe they could just chat with the developers at Samsung, LG, Motorola, and HTC who all customize the stock browser to make it perform better on their respective hardware. I mean, this isn't exactly rocket science here, optimizing a web browser.

Yes of course. They should have realised that they just need some more optimization.

They are building from a base that was not designed with Android in mind. This isn't building from scratch and that brings with it legacy code never designed to run in the Android environment. In the long term we'll see the benefits of Chrome on Android. They can do a lot better, no doubt. No one's arguing they can't. But optimizing a code base designed to run on a desktop environment clearly is difficult, unless you are suggesting it's easy and either the Chrome team are idiots or that they can't be bothered to make a good web browser for Android. I don't think either of these things are the case. Chrome on iOS isn't even Chrome. It's just a re-skinned Safari, in case that comes up as a comparison.

Part of the problem is that Chrome is only just starting to make use of hardware acceleration in all environments.

In the long term we'll have the benefit of improvements to the engine that runs Chrome and have desktop class speeds. And a framework that could potentially support extensions and all the latest HTML 5 standards. Yes, it's frustrating that Chrome isnt a consistent 60fps, but it's too simplistic an argument to say "it's not rocket science" when neither of us are familiar with some of the coding challenges involved.

Vanillalite

Opera uses the same base now for their beta. Twas night and day compared to Chrome when it hit. I also don't think it was a high priority for Google for a long time so they are trying to play catch up on work that should have been done all along.

Also it isn't as if the other browsers aren't HTML 5 compliant. Plus other browsers allow extensions.

Face it. Google has just botched this one up to this point. Hey it happens to the best of them.

Nicktendo86

Opera uses the same base now for their beta. Twas night and day compared to Chrome when it hit. I also don't think it was a high priority for Google for a long time so they are trying to play catch up on work that should have been done all along.

Also it isn't as if the other browsers aren't HTML 5 compliant. Plus other browsers allow extensions.

Face it. Google has just botched this one up to this point. Hey it happens to the best of them.

Yep. I'm sure it will get better. For the meantime though we will wither have to deal with it or use a different browser. That's the beauty of Android though, if we don't like it we can set a new default.

mturco

Yes of course. They should have realised that they just need some more optimization.

They are building from a base that was not designed with Android in mind. This isn't building from scratch and that brings with it legacy code never designed to run in the Android environment. In the long term we'll see the benefits of Chrome on Android. They can do a lot better, no doubt. No one's arguing they can't. But optimizing a code base designed to run on a desktop environment clearly is difficult, unless you are suggesting it's easy and either the Chrome team are idiots or that they can't be bothered to make a good web browser for Android. I don't think either of these things are the case. Chrome on iOS isn't even Chrome. It's just a re-skinned Safari, in case that comes up as a comparison.

Part of the problem is that Chrome is only just starting to make use of hardware acceleration in all environments.

In the long term we'll have the benefit of improvements to the engine that runs Chrome and have desktop class speeds. And a framework that could potentially support extensions and all the latest HTML 5 standards. Yes, it's frustrating that Chrome isnt a consistent 60fps, but it's too simplistic an argument to say "it's not rocket science" when neither of us are familiar with some of the coding challenges involved.

Exactly. This guy gets it. I'm still confident they will eventually get Chrome sorted out. Like you said, they are obviously aware of the issues and I see no reason they wouldn't be able to optimize it to be just as smooth as the other Google apps.

by 'the same base' do you mean Webkit?

Blackhead

Redarse
The Archos tablets are slowly becoming available in North America. I made a thread. Has anyone bought one yet? Are they the usual Archos garbage or have they finally delivered some decent tablets?

Yeah that's the thing. But not only that, I just don't find it to be as quick, having to bring up the wheel and then sliding around to what I want. I'd rather what I want be one button push away, at least in terms of home and multitasking buttons. Don't care about the rest honestly.

It just seems like too much.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Why not?

I wouldn't use it because you miss out on the alerts in the status bar. I don't want to bring up the pie every time I get a notification just to see what it is.

Because the Menu button is fucked. It's like having a hardware Menu button all over again. You never know which apps use it, when it's used, whether it leads to a new menu on another part of the app. Absolutely obnoxious.

Galaxy S 4 Will Launch On T-Mobile On May 1st With LTE

T-Mobile is not playing around today at its "UNcarrier" event. In addition to formally announcing the new, simplified prices with optional equipment repayment plans, and a shiny new LTE network, the company also says that the Galaxy S 4 will be arriving on its airwaves on May 1st, packing the ability to hook into that lovely 4G.

The carrier did not, however, elect to mention the pricing of the device. It has said that the iPhone, HTC One, and Blackberry Z10 will all have a $99 up front price and a $20/month payment plan. Over the course of 24 months, this makes the final price about $580 for those devices. And, as we learned before, base price + monthly hardware cost * 24 months = total price of handset unlocked. If it follows the same pattern, you can (probably!) get the T-Mobile version of the GS4 for $580 sans contract. Not a bad deal. Of course, that's speculation at this point, and once we have confirmation from T-Mo, you'll know.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/03/26/galaxy-s-4-will-launch-on-t-mobile-on-may-1st-with-lte/

first US date!

The Archos tablets are slowly becoming available in North America. I made a thread. Has anyone bought one yet? Are they the usual Archos garbage or have they finally delivered some decent tablets?

I replied in your other thread but I'll stick it here as well; I bought an Archos Titanium 80 earlier this month, and I sold it on ebay this morning. Nice build quality, great screen and 4:3 aspect which was nice for browsing, but this was all let down by poor wifi reception and a pisspoor battery life. Even when in the same room as the router it couldn't take advantage of my 20mbs connection, and once you leave the room speeds drop to about 50KBs. And the battery lasted a max of 4hrs screen time. But worse than that was the standby time, which was about two days. Wakelocks keep the device pretty much permanently awake, which may well be fixed in a future update, but to be honest I decided to cut my losses and just wait for Nexus 7 v2.0.

The tablets are also rebadged Onda Tablets - http://www.onda-tablet.com/buy-android-onda.html

Vanillalite

what do you guys reckon is the best launcher?

also web browser? I'm assuming its not chrome lol.

AOSP Browser aka stock browser for speed.

Some still use Chrome because they like the syncing with the desktop feature.

Other alternatives to look at would be Dolphin + Jetpack and the new Opera Beta browser.

Doopliss

Because the Menu button is fucked. It's like having a hardware Menu button all over again. You never know which apps use it, when it's used, whether it leads to a new menu on another part of the app. Absolutely obnoxious.
This is the image CyanogenMod posted on their G+:

Pie.png

3phemeral

what do you guys reckon is the best launcher?

The answers you're going to get are Apex, ADW EX, and Nova. Depends if you want something highly customizable or something that is just different from the stock one, like Action Launcher. I would say try ADW EX (free) just to get the hang of it, as they have a nice walkthrough for what they provide in features so you'll have some idea of what you're doing (I prefer Nova after having bought pretty much all major launchers (including chameleon and SPB launcher)). Most launchers offer the same thing, however. Apex, ADW and Nova are all full-featured launchers that offer a multitude of options for customized home screens which includes:

• changing your home screen count
  • changing how many icons display per screen
  • locking your screen so you can't accidentally change your layout
  • gesture-based actions that allow you to activate an app/action with specific swipe shapes
  • Custom icons
  • launcher buttons that will take you instantly to whichever screen you want to navigate to so you don't have to swipe (this works well if you want a hub system where you'd want to avoid swiping to a page and instead, would rather have a button that says "work-related," "media," "games," etc. So you can have each screen designated as a specific widget/app grouping. It's more advance customizing, though, so it can be complicated.)
  • * App-drawer customization like:
    Grouping apps together in whatever way you feel necessary via folders (which appear in the same group as other apps), or as a tab (which is appears as a separate header with its own dedicated page for those grouped apps)​

I think if you're looking for some good examples, check out mycolorscreen for examples, as they will list what apps they used to achieve those designs. Often times, it's only a launcher, an icon pack, and some creative wallpaper usage.

There's also an Android Customization Thread, but admittedly, we're not always so great with posting what we used to end up with those results.

RM8

Is the Xperia P an okay phone? I found it at a reasonable price.

Man, I'm going to miss my blue Lumia. How come 99.9% of all Android phones are either black or white? :/

Kiraly

Is the Xperia P an okay phone? I found it at a reasonable price.

Man, I'm going to miss my blue Lumia. How come 99.9% of all Android phones are either black or white? :/

It's quite old, but one of the best phones in that price-class (don't know how well it holds up though).

That aluminium unibody looks classy as fuck in silver, absolutely get that colour.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
This is the image CyanogenMod posted on their G+:

[IM]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-rBByoFV5o58/UVElleUNBeI/AAAAAAAAD2Y/lth5MS0EnLs/s662/Pie.png[/IMG]
I wonder if they have the Menu button disabled. Or as a pop up for when it's used.

Ideally, the Menu button would just be the typical overflow menu. But for some reason, with Pie Controls, it acts as if there's a hardware button there. So you can never know when the Menu button does anything.

I hope they solved the Menu button issue. Because if so, nice! I'll be sure to enable it.

RM8

It's quite old, but one of the best phones in that price-class (don't know how well it holds up though).

That aluminium unibody looks classy as fuck in silver, absolutely get that colour.
Yeah, silver is what I wanted. And as old as it is it seems like it's quite a step above my Lumia 800, lol. I'll miss the AMOLED screen, though (for like 5 minutes).

gcubed

I have no idea if this site is reputable or what these numbers really mean, but other people in here may be able to shed some light on this.

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Samsung-Galaxy-S4-vs-HTC-One_id3282/page/2

Halfway down this page they did a speed test between the S4 and the One and it was split 50/50. Not the 8 core processor in the S4 of course but I'm shocked the S4 didn't wipe the floor with the One. I was expecting it to.

they are the same processor. Samsung is going down the old HTC road with Touchwiz. Its becoming an overburdened pig. HTC is starting to walk back from that, so them meeting in the middle isn't to surprising. I would expect HTC to continue to get better while touchwiz continues to get worse

gcubed

New Chrome still runs like balls for me. I think it's a combination of my hardware and my rom as others have stated the same thing in the ROM thread on XDA.

New Chrome (beta) runs fine, it's not very good on that funny pics thread, but it doesn't crash like every other browser does.

It has gotten smoother, but if you try to scroll before it loads one of two things happens (or both), you get some jitter, and the page "blurs" until its fully loaded. I have a shitty GNex and its not bad enough to flip out as much as some people do.

They do need the quick controls though

People be liking that HTC One look yo:

The company has confirmed that pre-orders in the States have reached “several hundred thousand” as we near the HTC One’s late April release for AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile.

This goes to show that there IS a market for people who want beautiful looking devices. People just see that shit and they want it. I still kinda think HTC is screwed but who knows, maybe they're onto something here. Has to last past launch though, and sell consistently throughout the year, and that is a different ball game. Especially when the S4 machine begins.

Should be noted that in the UK, the S4 has pre-order numbers 4 times higher than the S3. So if that's a preview of the USA sales...lord.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom