• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiraly

gsmarena_002.jpg

God, the S3 truly was ugly as fuck. I don't really mind that styling on the S4, due to the enormous screen that covers the front and it seems to be balanced a bit better.

People be liking that HTC One look yo:

This goes to show that there IS a market for people who want beautiful looking devices. People just see that shit and they want it. I still kinda think HTC is screwed but who knows, maybe they're onto something here. Has to last past launch though, and sell consistently throughout the year, and that is a different ball game. Especially when the S4 machine begins.

Should be noted that in the UK, the S4 has pre-order numbers 4 times higher than the S3. So if that's a preview of the USA sales...lord.

I expect 20 million S4 preorders worldwide. But good job on the several hundred thousand One preorders, HTC!

Looks indeed a lot better than the S3's blue tint. The sRGB option seems to be great as well. But that interface though, ugh.
touchwiz does look pretty bad. It's like a mishmash of a couple different styles. Any time I see an android skin I almost cringe and put my finger on the order button for a nex4.

I wonder if they have the Menu button disabled. Or as a pop up for when it's used.

Ideally, the Menu button would just be the typical overflow menu. But for some reason, with Pie Controls, it acts as if there's a hardware button there. So you can never know when the Menu button does anything.

I hope they solved the Menu button issue. Because if so, nice! I'll be sure to enable it.

the CM PIE controls are completely rewritten, not just a quick port, so they could in theory have handled that differently.

GSMarena has their S4 battery testing up: http://blog.gsmarena.com/samsung-galaxy-s4-battery-tests-are-done-heres-how-it-did/

Considering it's really the major reason I'm considering it...not that happy about it, but not sure if turned off of it. Just wish all manufacturers would use 3000mah minimum.

Conclusion seems to be that overall, doing a variety of different tasks throughout the day, it actually is pretty good and beats out the One by plenty. But at certain specific tasks, it still struggles due to amoled and 1080p anc screen size. But yeah overall it looks pretty good. I want BETTTTERRRRR. Though I'm pretty sure I'd always say that :p

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
GSMarena has their S4 battery testing up: http://blog.gsmarena.com/samsung-galaxy-s4-battery-tests-are-done-heres-how-it-did/

Considering it's really the major reason I'm considering it...not that happy about it, but not sure if turned off of it. Just wish all manufacturers would use 3000mah minimum.

Conclusion seems to be that overall, doing a variety of different tasks throughout the day, it actually is pretty good and beats out the One by plenty. But at certain specific tasks, it still struggles due to amoled and 1080p anc screen size. But yeah overall it looks pretty good. I want BETTTTERRRRR. Though I'm pretty sure I'd always say that :p

So you'll be waiting till Q3/Q4 to buy a phone. Gotcha

gcubed

wait for KLP, if they redo the OS into Holo Light its going to be SCREWED.

So you'll be waiting till Q3/Q4 to buy a phone. Gotcha
hellls no, I aint waiting.

As soon as the S4 is out I'm using my upgrade on it no matter what. Only question is will I use it for a while or sell it and get a nexus 4 or something until the nexus 5 comes out. Seems like a waste of money though. I'm probably going to get the S4, use it until october then sell it for a high price and get the nexus 5.

And if pctx were here, he'd say x phone. And he wouldn't be wrong really, if it's motorola you know it's going to rock a big battery. But pricing and all that, including availability on play store would have to be a must. Too many question marks to bank on that.

Groof

That header image got a good chuckle out of me, heh. Also:
You can learn more about how we do the batter test here.

But seems pretty alright for what it is. And if you're gonna keep waiting for better™, then you're going to wait for a long time.

But seems pretty alright for what it is. And if you're gonna keep waiting for better™, then you're going to wait for a long time.
To be clear, the only reason I was even willing to put up with samsung/touchwiz at all was the promise of better battery life. I'm not saying it's big battery or bust. I'm saying, if it doesn't have THAT great battery, then why put up with it. I'll just get something else (that being the ZL or the Nex4). But I don't know. Will wait for more reviews until I decide if I will keep it or sell it and get something else.

feel me.

Nicktendo86

hellls no, I aint waiting.

As soon as the S4 is out I'm using my upgrade on it no matter what. Only question is will I use it for a while or sell it and get a nexus 4 or something until the nexus 5 comes out. Seems like a waste of money though. I'm probably going to get the S4, use it until october then sell it for a high price and get the nexus 5.

And if pctx were here, he'd say x phone. And he wouldn't be wrong really, if it's motorola you know it's going to rock a big battery. But pricing and all that, including availability on play store would have to be a must. Too many question marks to bank on that.
Pretty much my plan, upgrade for free to an s4 in august but sell it right away, buy a n4, sell that in October and get a n5.

Beats out the One by plenty? According to those graphs they're almost neck and neck and in one case the One is ahead by miles. Only the overall endurance rating is higher.

I'm still not 100% sure why people would choose the S4 over the One. The screen isn't quite as good, only bigger, the design is awful, touchwiz is awful, the camera is better only in brightly lit settings, it's not faster, and if its anything like the S3, it'll fall apart in no time.

Only thing going for it are a bunch of "smart" features that you'll probably never use much anyway.

Pretty much my plan, upgrade for free to an s4 in august but sell it right away, buy a n4, sell that in October and get a n5.
high fiveeeee. It's not even a terrible plan. Make a decent profit overall, get a decent phone, then when the nexus 5 comes out you can get that and rejoice.

Beats out the One by plenty? According to those graphs they're almost neck and neck and in one case the One is ahead by miles. Only the overall endurance rating is higher.
like I said, not that happy about it regardless. Besides, most of what I do is web browse/occasional video, where it actually struggles according to that test. The endurance rating is probably that high because of good standby time compared to the One. I still would never consider the One though. I'd take the S4 before it any time.

gcubed

I'm still not 100% sure why people would choose the S4 over the One. The screen isn't quite as good, only bigger, the design is awful, touchwiz is awful, the camera is better only in brightly lit settings, it's not faster, and if its anything like the S3, it'll fall apart in no time.

Only thing going for it are a bunch of "smart" features that you'll probably never use much anyway.

most reviews i've seen have the camera better in darker settings.

Its endurance rating is almost halved... which is down to Sense still being more awful then touchwiz (most likely due to their god awful friend stream replacement idea). So you get a pretty phone, with a non removable battery, that doesn't last as long, with a worse camera.

Groof

To be clear, the only reason I was even willing to put up with samsung/touchwiz at all was the promise of better battery life. I'm not saying it's big battery or bust. I'm saying, if it doesn't have THAT great battery, then why put up with it. I'll just get something else (that being the ZL or the Nex4). But I don't know. Will wait for more reviews until I decide if I will keep it or sell it and get something else.

feel me.

I feel ya.

There are certainly better options if you're looking from a strictly battery perspective. Your plan seems sound. Also the N4 can have decent enough battery. A day at minimum.

I feel ya.

There are certainly better options if you're looking from a strictly battery perspective. Your plan seems sound. Also the N4 can have decent enough battery. A day at minimum.
and no matter what I get, I'll only be using it for a few months until the nex5 comes out, lol.

Obvious wild card in all this is the x phone BS, have to see where that goes. Everything should leak within april though so I guess I'll know what I'm going to do before I even have a chance to use my upgrade on the S4.

most reviews i've seen have the camera better in darker settings.

Its endurance rating is almost halved... which is down to Sense still being more awful then touchwiz (most likely due to their god awful friend stream replacement idea). So you get a pretty phone, with a non removable battery, that doesn't last as long, with a worse camera.

I haven't seen a single review stating that the S4 has better low light. The One even beats the 920 for low light. Sense is certainly better than Touchwiz, which is the worst UI I've seen on an Android, but still need to be close to what Sony is doing. As far as the endurance, I guess I just don't understand it fully. If the S4 only beats the One by 20 mins in most cases and loses in one, why the big difference?

Either way, from what we've seen, it's a great battery.

Still not seeing it.

you know what... i don't even know how to respond to that...

nn51y9E.jpg

MKjxa40.jpg

N81i3Aa.jpg

6uWSKiF.jpg

T99ytrL.jpg

hBeKvpm.jpg

zD0Qv42.jpg

Groof

and no matter what I get, I'll only be using it for a few months until the nex5 comes out, lol.

Obvious wild card in all this is the x phone BS, have to see where that goes. Everything should leak within april though so I guess I'll know what I'm going to do before I even have a chance to use my upgrade on the S4.

But then, why not keep the S4 until the N5 is released?
The whole X phone thing is a farce. It's gonna be shit and we all know it.

But then, why not keep the S4 until the N5 is released?
The whole X phone thing is a farce. It's gonna be shit and we all know it.
well yeah that's my other option. That's my money saving option. Use the S4 until October. It's what I'm leaning towards currently.

and faceless most of what I do is browse the web on my commute, and that's where it still struggles. Endurance rating is likely that high because the standby time is great.

Chinner

Banned
how do they conduct their battery tests? do they just do it out of the box, or do they have a few battery discharges - because as i understand the battery improves over time?

Groof

well yeah that's my other option. That's my money saving option. Use the S4 until October. It's what I'm leaning towards currently.

Would be a good way to get some mileage out of what will undoubtedly be a good piece of hardware, Touchwiz or not. I'd love to try it out, might coerce my dad into getting one since he's been aching for an upgrade lately.

gcubed

I haven't seen a single review stating that the S4 has better low light. The One even beats the 920 for low light. Sense is certainly better than Touchwiz, which is the worst UI I've seen on an Android, but still need to be close to what Sony is doing. As far as the endurance, I guess I just don't understand it fully. If the S4 only beats the One by 20 mins in most cases and loses in one, why the big difference?

Either way, from what we've seen, it's a great battery.

Still not seeing it.

standby time, which i wouldn't doubt is partially due to their constant refreshing, non-disableable Blink Feed (also due to the smaller battery, as it fares similar to a higher capacity battery and AMOLED screen while on, but loses once the screen goes off).

Touchwiz is ugly, Sense is ugly, Its still a lose lose proposition in comparison. Sense is slowly coming out of the non hideous stage. The screen is beautiful

and faceless most of what I do is browse the web on my commute, and that's where it still struggles. Endurance rating is likely that high because the standby time is great.

HOL DAT

ABEHL8Q.jpg

yeah that shit is garbage too. But that was before the battery improvements in 4.1.2 or 4.2.2 whenever that was. Which were notable improvements.

Like I said though, leaning on skipping the 4 for the 5 and just using the S4 until then.

notable as in doubling the performance from 'garbage' to 'struggling' like the S4?

Groof

I think if you can get at least a full day's worth out of a charge on a phone, then it's done its job, considering most people charge their device overnight anyway. That's not to say I find battery lives to be particularly good on today's phones, but we're noticing a trend here with the ever-improving full charge cycles on newer phones. By the end of this year we'll probably have the bare minimum up from a full day to two days.
At least I hope so.

Chinner

Banned
cool, so that would suggest the xperia z/zl will get a battery boost once its gets 4.1.2 then?

totally just asking cause my xperia zl should be coming tomorrow/day after.

cool, so that would suggest the xperia z/zl will get a battery boost once its gets 4.1.2 then?

totally just asking cause my xperia zl should be coming tomorrow/day after.
potentially. Can never be sure how sony's skin will affect it, but nexus 4s all noticed good battery bumps, so the potential is there for better battery across all phones that get it. I think ZL ships with 4.1.2 anyway. It's 4.2.2 that had the battery upgrade, now that I google'd it.

Nexus 5 2800 mAH battery.

Believe.
Even though I think that will be the minimum, around there, they should aim higher. Google has access to motorola! Get that razr maxx battery up in there.

I'm glad they said their focuses going forward are battery, build, and camera. So that inspires some hope that they plan on rectifying all their shortcomings. A nexus phone with no real weakness would truly be the ultimate smartphone.

zedge

"fall apart in no time".. Really? Sounds more like an HTC phone to me from my experience..

Had my S3 for almost a year now, no case and its not falling apart.

Aluminum is so damn overrated.. and Sense is arguably shittier than Touchwiz.

"fall apart in no time".. Really? Sounds more like an HTC phone to me from my experience..

Had my S3 for almost a year now, no case and its not falling apart.

Aluminum is so damn overrated.. and Sense is arguably shittier than Touchwiz.

I agree, Samsung phones don't fall apart. I might hammer them for material choice, but that has nothing to do with durability. But then neither do HTC phones. In this day and age unless you are using your phone as a weapon it's not going to come apart in your hands. The most common issues are cracked screens, water damage and scuffs/nicks to which no phone is impervious. Aluminum isn't over rated at all. like any material, when it's used right it can really be wonderful. Like plastic. See the One X or Lumia 800. And Sense/Touchwiz - It's like choosing between a douche and a turd.

Yo man, it's good, but not great.
I'm waiting for the days when I can get through a full day with only 20% used. Oh, what a glorious future that is.

You can do that with an N4 now. Put it in airplane mode and don't use it at all. Insane battery life.

Yeah, yeah I'm not being serious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom