• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

RM8

I just called Sony Mexico, and yes, apparently the ICS update hasn't been approved for this region. WTF. It's safe to say it's going to take more than half a year for Mexico to get the Jelly Bean update. And my Lumia keeps staring at me... oh man. I'm stuck with a Gingerbread phone.

I just called Sony Mexico, and yes, apparently the ICS update hasn't been approved for this region. WTF. It's safe to say it's going to take more than half a year for Mexico to get the Jelly Bean update. And my Lumia keeps staring at me... oh man. I'm stuck with a Gingerbread phone.

You can use Flashtool to flash your phone with the newest firmware. This shouldn't void your warranty. Look it up on XDA.

RM8

That would mean I wouldn't be able to update via "official" ways anymore, right?

Not that it matters, I'd rather bypass Mexico's ridiculousness. I can't even install Chrome because it's not supported by my Android version, FFS.

That would mean I woulnd't be able to update via "official" ways anymore, right?

Not that it matters, I'd rather bypass Mexico's ridiculousness. I can't even install Chrome because it's not supported by my Android version, FFS.

Why would you update through the official chanels? JB is a few days away and you still can't get ICS. You can always repair your phone through PCC and go back to the latest version verified in your country.

RM8

Just wanted to get some practice for the JB update :p (And see if the performance of some apps improved a bit, I'm finding it to be a bit less stable than my Lumia 800 in some apps, and that's a 2011 phone).

I said it in that thread but that's not really fair. The iphone 5 uses a similar aluminium design. The difference is that the One is just badly designed.

High Tech Computer Corporation™

Exactly. It has nothing to do with plastic or unibody or whatever. It has to do with the internal design. As you mentioned, the iPhone 5 uses aluminium and a unibody design. However, the main components that typically die/break (screen, battery) are all quite easy to replace and probably only a little bit worse than a phone with an actual removable battery. I've replaced a screen for a friend's 5 and its dead easy to do. Its a stupid argument and I can't believe some of you guys appear to be arguing from fallacy.

Edit:
Yeah I've taken a look at the repair guide. Talk about obtuse, Apple makes thing a pain in the ass with their screw type but replacing most of the device isn't particularly difficult once you've done it once. Its as if HTC went the whole way to make even getting into the device a difficult proposition.

Groof

In before HTC say that they believe people will love the design so much they'll want to take good care of it, thus no repairing required.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I know I've stated this before but I really wish there was a Nexus Tablet that was slightly bigger than the Nexus 7, but not all the way as big as the Nexus 10. Something along the lines of the iPad Mini or larger Kindle Fire HD would be perfect for me IMO. Basically I want something just a hair larger than the current Nexus 7, but without going to the extra large 10.1" big Nexus.

Groof

I know I've stated this before but I really wish there was a Nexus Tablet that was slightly bigger than the Nexus 7, but not all the way as big as the Nexus 10. Something along the lines of the iPad Mini or larger Kindle Fire HD would be perfect for me IMO. Basically I want something just a hair larger than the current Nexus 7, but without going to the extra large 10.1" big Nexus.

Nexus 8, body of a Nexus 7 but with an 8" screen.
I'd happily trade if it happened.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day

And I've said this before, but keep the body the same (well, feel free to make it thinner ASUS) and replace all the bezel with screen space. I just bought my 7 last fall though so I probably won't be upgrading for a couple years myself.

I'm hoping they up the screen size a notch on the N7 mk2, maybe a 7.7" screen, but in the same size body. Oh, and 1080p to boot.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I at least hope that the next 7 has a glass screen. Is that too much to ask for?

Also, I have a question. Why does dolphin browser run much smoother than chrome?

I at least hope that the next 7 has a glass screen. Is that too much to ask for?

Also, I have a question. Why does dolphin browser run much smoother than chrome?
one uses webkit and the other is chrome. Google is taking loooooooooong making it as smooth and whatnot.

They should've just reskinned and rebranded the stock browser, would've been better for all.

Short term yes, long term no. Makes no sense to allocate resources on developing two separate broswers for Android and long term it makes sense to bring proper chrome over. The problem is that short term, we are still suffering from basic performance flaws. Chrome has steadily improved in performance with every release, it will get there eventually. It would be much nicer if they'd sort it out much faster but there are lots of threads over on Chrome Issues about work they are doing to improve performance.

Groof

Short term yes, long term no. Makes no sense to allocate resources on developing two separate broswers for Android and long term it makes sense to bring proper chrome over. The problem is that short term, we are still suffering from basic performance flaws. Chrome has steadily improved in performance with every release, it will get there eventually. It would be much nicer if they'd sort it out much faster but there are lots of threads over on Chrome Issues about work they are doing to improve performance.

Yeah but why not skip developing Chrome for Android and just add on functionality for the stock browser/pseudo-Chrome? And yes, Android Chrome has improved a lot since its release, and the Beta releases is a neat idea. But it feels like a lot of heartache could've been spared by simply keeping the stock browser.

it's very heavily modified though isn't it. Anyway they are taking their sweet sweet time with it.

Yup. Part of the issue is that Chrome itself is only starting to make use of hardware acceleration on desktop and effectively they've are still in the early days of implementing GPU acceleration, so it's not that well optimised (yet). So part of what they need to do is Android specific, but overall improvements to the Chrome base will also help with performance. It's just frustrating that it's taking so long.

Yeah but why not skip developing Chrome for Android and just add on functionality for the stock browser/pseudo-Chrome? And yes, Android Chrome has improved a lot since its release, and the Beta releases is a neat idea. But it feels like a lot of heartache could've been spared by simply keeping the stock browser.

No, again short term thinking. Long term Chrome on Android will be a lot better than the stock browser and not just frame rate. You'll get the benefit of the V8 engine which already beats out AOSP for Javascript and Google Octane benchmarks (and is only going to get better), the best HTML 5 compatibility of any web browser, flags for advanced features and we'll have a framework for extensions. Not to mention, instead of having a small team developing one browser you've now got a vast team doing it instead, so when improvements in Chromium land we'll get the benefit of that too. Full screen browsing is coming in M27 (pretty sure) and eventually I expect to see quick controls and the like built in. Don't get me wrong it's annoying that it's taking long time to get 60fps consistently across all sites but it will get there. Fling performance is now really good, checkerboarding is very nearly solved, so it's mostly just the scroll performance they need to sort out (and some text boosting issues). Shouldn't have taken nigh on a year to get this far along but recently there have been large improvements in performance, so I'm reasonably confident that by summer most of our performance issues will have been solved.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I was a very vocal Chrome mobile hater. I've been using Chrome Beta exclusively for months now.

I shit on chrome but I still use it for the desktop syncing and just the overall functionality I like, aside from a few things like 2 taps to refresh, etc...small stuff. So when they finally iron out the stuff holding it back from being better, it will truly be the shiiiiit.

Groof

I guess I'll have to believe things will get better. I'm not a hater though - I use Chrome exclusively on both my N4 and N7 because tab syncing is something amazing and I can't live without it. I talk trash because I care. :(

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Maybe some things will speed up now that Opera is using Chromium as a base and giving back to the code base. Couldn't hurt to have more people working with Chromium I suppose.

Yes. It surprised me when I went to get her the Kindle App and it was already downloaded. I haven't seen anyone talking about getting the update. From what I saw before she left for work (about 10 seconds), the interface looked very touch friendly. Big icons with large clear areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom