• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Had JB waiting for me this morning on my Nexus S 4g.

After seeing how smooth JB makes my OG Fire run I can't wait to get it installed on my phone.

YAY!

edit: Why have I never heard of Oppo. A 1080p phone is giving me a bit of a chub.

kehs

Banned
Why? The One X Plus has a more powerful chip and a slightly lower resolution than the Transformer Infinity and that runs fine.

Same way the new ipad underperforms compared to the ipad 2 even though it's rocking a much better hardware.

Unless the new GPU does miracles, I don't expect HTC and sense to master both new chipsets and hardware at the same time.

HeySeuss

Is this a hardware thread or is there an app specific thread? I wanted to know if any of you guys use smarttorrent and if it's worth 2.99...

tino

Banned
Had JB waiting for me this morning on my Nexus S 4g.

After seeing how smooth JB makes my OG Fire run I can't wait to get it installed on my phone.

YAY!

edit: Why have I never heard of Oppo. A 1080p phone is giving me a bit of a chub.

Oppo used to make phones specially market women. Hence the Titanic dude as their spokesman. There was no reason to pay attention to it until recently.

buhdeh

Anyone having issues with swiftkey and chrome after the last chrome update?

My cursor keeps jumping around when I input text but strangely it only happens when I quote reply and only on gaf... So far.

3phemeral

Anyone having issues with swiftkey and chrome after the last chrome update?

My cursor keeps jumping around when I input text but strangely it only happens when I quote reply and only on gaf... So far.
I had a bunch of issues with SwiftKey and Chrome, like when I try to place the cursor between letters, the cursor will jump back and forth and eventually default to the last place in the line.

Another issue was deleting text would sometimes cause it to add whole words as if I were typing. So I'd type something like "Asus TF1011!" and trying to delete the "1!" would somehow produce "1!1!1!1!1!1!" ad infinitum.

I haven't had the first issue in a long while, but the second one comes up occasionally.

rozay

Banned
it would be cool if the verizon button sent people directly to the v-cast store so people could accidentally purchase things.

throwback to the d-pad days

kehs

Banned
it would be cool if the verizon button sent people directly to the v-cast store so people could accidentally purchase things.

throwback to the d-pad days

My sprint phone has that shit when you pressed up. Fucking assholes.

kehs

Banned
I couldn't be bothered to find the G+ thread, but you can now share samples of songs you've uploaded and not just songs you've bought on Play.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
On screen buttons are old. Let's just get gestures on here already. webOS had it right from the start.

Yup, I've seen that video already. I love the idea, but it should be an advanced option under settings where I can choose to free up the button screen space and use gestures instead. Onscreen gestures are great for experienced UI operators, you need a bedding in process first. I have enough difficulty in my job explaining basic gestures like the notification shade pull down without making things harder!

it's too bad Samsung has stroke now, it means the US Note II will be a big button version like the International instead of being a sexy all capacitive beast.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yup, I've seen that video already. I love the idea, but it should be an advanced option under settings where I can choose to free up the button screen space and use gestures instead. Onscreen gestures are great for experienced UI operators, you need a bedding in process first. I have enough difficulty in my job explaining basic gestures like the notification shade pull down without making things harder!

Yep, you're right. It's not something immediately apparent but once you get a hang of it, hoo boy, they feel so right.

tino

Banned
I used to have a Pre. The gesture thing is very slow compare to buttons.

Only gesture thats faster than button is the launch-app-on-ribbon gesture.

kinggroin

Banned
For the third time, heres what I posted on the topic:

I mentioned it in another thread, but what do you guys think the chances are of Google ditching software buttons in favor of a gesture bottom bezel?

Think, always have the last image from open apps cached, then you swipe left or right on the bezel to page between them (swipe fast enough and the windows zoom out to show the multitasking ribbon we normally have), tap the bezel for home, swipe up for Google now.
---------

So waddaya think?

tino

Banned
For the third time, heres what I posted on the topic:

I mentioned it in another thread, but what do you guys think the chances are of Google ditching software buttons in favor of a gesture bottom bezel?

Think, always have the last image from open apps cached, then you swipe left or right on the bezel to page between them (swipe fast enough and the windows zoom out to show the multitasking ribbon we normally have), tap the bezel for home, swipe up for Google now.
---------

So waddaya think?

Hitting multiple back is alot faster than swiping to right multiple times. Plus Matias Duarte has already said in interview they tried to avoid long press it felt too "slow". Swipe is slower than long press.

kinggroin

Banned
Hitting multiple back is alot faster than swiping to right multiple times. Plus Matias Duarte has already said in interview they tried to avoid long press it felt too "slow". Swipe is slower than long press.

Eh, maybe a hair faster sure.

Not sure if you've used gestures on an iPad, but in addition to it always working (god only knows where the back button will take you at any given moment), you can move FORWARD as well.

I still think having the multitasking ribbon is still important to navigate to apps further back in your usage history however.

To clarify again, this isn't on screen gestures I'm talking about, but a more elaborate take on what RIM did with its playbook. A gesture bezel.

LogicStep

So I'm trying to fix my friend's S2. He rooted and got a custom ROM. The problem is Kies won't recognize the phone so he can't get the backup he made with the program back. How do you fix this?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
A user agent profile is pointing to a new Galaxy Nexus:

samsungnexus2.jpg

Rumors continue to fly around the next Galaxy Nexus smartphone (s) and a new User Agent Profile may be the best evidence a Galaxy Nexus successor is on the horizon. Samsung GT-i9260 sports a resolution of 720 x 1280, and an ARM 11 processor. The i9260 appears likely as a Galaxy Nexus successor as the current Galaxy Nexus is designated as i9250, so the small step in model numbers seems like a logical succession.

Unfortunately, details are slim as a broader list of specs in the User Agent Profile is absent, and the ARM 11 processor, which sounds outdated, is often used by Samsung as a placeholder on these pages. On a separate note, it could also reference the ARM Cortex-A11, which would be a step up from the current Galaxy Nexus dual-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A9. Initial rumors had hinted at a 1.5GHz dual-core A9 CPU, so at this point we’re still keeping our hopes up for a major upgrade in processor speed.

For now, the i9260 poses a few questions, including just how big of an upgrade will it be from the current model Galaxy Nexus? Will it hit store shelves under the name “Galaxy Premier,” referenced in another document obtained by Pocket Now.

While we wait for confirmation from Google, Samsung or another manufacturer, what do you want in a Galaxy Nexus successor? What would it take to get you to buy it no questions asked hardware wise?

Edit: might be called the Galaxy Premier : http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/08/po...s-and-galaxy-premier-gt-i9260-specs-revealed/

http://www.droiddog.com/android-blo...cessor/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

kehs

Banned
How the fuck did they not mention the "phone keypad"? That points to a hardware keyboard that Matias hinted at in an interview.

thespot84

This thing looks like another Apple lawsuit waiting to happen (but what doesn't these days, amirite?), but I want something with this kind of bezel.

Agree, Agree, and Agree. While most of apple's claims seem overreaching this phone very much strikes me as taking design cues from the iPhone (the actual dimesions of the corners, the long and narrow earpiece, silver around black etc.) I don't think that's necessary bad, however I do think that designers should spend more effort doing a better job of stealing other peoples ideas and making them their own. Edge to edge is great but at some point rehashing old shit just becomes laziness...

DXPett1

Considering how much I struggle with Quick Controls (despite loving them) I am pretty convinced gestures based on edges suck

Zeppu

This GN+ was already being mentioned a month or so ago as being a spec bump over the current GN.
http://www.androidcentral.com/could-samsungs-gt-i9260-superior-be-spec-bumped-galaxy-nexus-2012

I'm guessing it'll be a boring interim update for Q4 to keep up with the times. They'll then release the new Nexus with KLP.

This GN+ was already being mentioned a month or so ago as being a spec bump over the current GN.
http://www.androidcentral.com/could-samsungs-gt-i9260-superior-be-spec-bumped-galaxy-nexus-2012

I'm guessing it'll be a boring interim update for Q4 to keep up with the times. They'll then release the new Nexus with KLP.

Sounds like it will be more or less on the US Samsung Galaxy S III's level. Hopefully they're able to add 2GBs of RAM, and an option for a GSM LTE sku.

Edit: Oh snap, is Samsung gunning for a February release for the Galaxy S IV?

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/17/samsung-galaxy-s-iv-feb-2013-rumor/

while we're at it about the stock browser vs chrome...

not having flash doesn't make sense until the web stops using flash. even though it is kinda shitty, it's better than getting the "you need to install flash" message...

and more often than not, it works just fine. only really hiccups every once in a while, but then i can just reload the page and we're back in business

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
TmoNoteII.jpg

The Galaxy Note II is expected to land on every major US carrier and the one on T-Mobile, according to rumors and reports, should wear the model number SGH-T889. The T-Mobile variant, as well as any other US variant, is rumored to sport the same internals as the global version of the phablet; even more, the outer aspect is also said to be unaltered, though some might not like the purported Verizon logo on its own Note II’s home button.

A specific T889UVALIC firmware, as of September 15, is reportedly being tested by Samsung as a Jelly Bean build for the T-Mobile flavor. These builds are sent out to device testers but more importantly, in this case, come as a confirmation that the Note follow-up will indeed be carried by Magenta (now that it is almost certain that they’ve cancelled the original Note).

http://pocketnow.com/2012/09/17/samsung-galaxy-s-iv-mwc-2013/

See that button? That's all I gotta say about that *snicker*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom