• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'm really enjoying the JB update to my Nexus S 4g. It's honestly running like a completely different phone. Everything is much smoother and I no longer have that trademark android jankyness for lack of a better or real word.

I also really like the new google tile system and voice recognition. Good job Goog

kinggroin

Banned
Does the note button function the way those kind of things did back in the dumb phone days? I mean, with you be taken to the T-Mobile store or something?

ep85

Does the note button function the way those kind of things did back in the dumb phone days? I mean, with you be taken to the T-Mobile store or something?

No, its just carriers trying to remind you who's the boss. Its just a normal home button.

kinggroin

Banned
Related:

Will there ever be an Android phone that has enough clout behind it, that its manufacturer can pull an Apple as far as branding and bloat?

tino

Banned
Related:

Will there ever be an Android phone that has enough clout behind it, that its manufacturer can pull an Apple as far as branding and bloat?

Galaxy S III. There is no special carrier branding on the phone or the packaging. First for both ATT and Verizon.

TmoNoteII.jpg

http://pocketnow.com/2012/09/17/samsung-galaxy-s-iv-mwc-2013/

See that button? That's all I gotta say about that *snicker*

5dvfF.gif

BlueMagic

Hey guys. A while ago I posted that I was going to buy a cell phone and have it shipped over here (argentina). Well, turns out that my father is travelling to the USA so I decided to wait and ask him to bring me one, which will be quite cheaper.

So my question now is, where is a good place to buy unlocked cell phones? I mean, I don't know much about US stores so I was thinking something like Best Buy or so, but there probably are places with better prices, etc. I think I'm gonna ask him to buy me an HTC One S btw.

kehs

Banned
Hey guys. A while ago I posted that I was going to buy a cell phone and have it shipped over here (argentina). Well, turns out that my father is travelling to the USA so I decided to wait and ask him to bring me one, which will be quite cheaper.

So my question now is, where is a good place to buy unlocked cell phones? I mean, I don't know much about US stores so I was thinking something like Best Buy or so, but there probably are places with better prices, etc. I think I'm gonna ask him to buy me an HTC One S btw.

How long is he staying?

GNEX $350 and have it shipped to his hotel or whatever. The One S is going to run about $600 unlocked.

BlueMagic

How long is he staying?

GNEX $350 and have it shipped to his hotel or whatever. The One S is going to run about $600 unlocked.

Not sure about that, but I think it's about 10 days. I searched for HTC One S in ebay and most of the prices were around 450, but I guess it's not good reference lol.

stealth edit: gnex had me confused lol

ep85

Galaxy S III. There is no special carrier branding on the phone or the packaging. First for both ATT and Verizon.

The GS3 has carrier branding on the battery cover. BUt you can buy an International OEM one if you wanted to.

tino

Banned

There is really no retail store that sell unlocked phones. Unless you go to Chinatown. I would order the Galaxy Nexus from google.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Wow at those home button on the Note II. What a saga the note has had on T-Mo..from having rumors of the original to now getting the II.

Curious to know what carriers you guys are on? I am using a Gnex on T-Mobile.

kehs

Banned
Not sure about that, but I think it's about 10 days. I searched for HTC One S in ebay and most of the prices were around 450, but I guess it's not good reference lol.

I don't know how much luck you'll have buying from ebay while your pops is on holiday. Most people are going to be weary of shipping to a hotel or temporary address. Like tino mentioned, unlocked phones aren't really sold here in the states, and when they are at retail they're full MSRP.

BlueMagic

That is great advice. Thanks a lot. Anyone knows how much time the shipping usually takes when buying directly from Google?

Massa

You can get the Xperia Neo V at BestBuy for $250. It's not a high end phone (similar specs to an iPhone 4), but it's a very good one at an affordable price if you can't get the Galaxy Nexus for $350.

kinggroin

Banned

There's a big Verizon logo on the back, and its filled with Verizon bullshit software.

The GNEX was the closest thing to that dream, so far.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Can someone tell me if the T-Mobile Galaxy S 4G is a good phone or not? I've never had a smart phone before, but my dad wants us to get some, and it's free with a new two year contract from t-mobile (our current carrier), so I'm wondering how it is.

Can someone tell me if the T-Mobile Galaxy S 4G is a good phone or not? I've never had a smart phone before, but my dad wants us to get some, and it's free with a new two year contract from t-mobile (our current carrier), so I'm wondering how it is.

Galaxy S 4G is 2 years old now, but Galaxy S II is only a year old and $49.99 at Best Buy for new/upgrades w/2yr! and apparently, it's free until thursday on the tmobile website!

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Galaxy S 4G is 2 years old now, but Galaxy S II is only a year old and $49.99 at Best Buy for new/upgrades w/2yr! and apparently, it's free until thursday on the tmobile website!
Yeah, but there's three of us, so it would be $150 vs. free. Just wondering how the free option phone is.

kinggroin

Banned
The GNEX has the Verizon branding on the back as well. Not sure what you're talking about.

myself said:

The GNEX has the least amount of Verizon interference overall. Its why I said, "closest thing to that dream"

Next time don't jump in mid conversation.

HawkeyeIC

Why is Chrome so slow even on Jelly Bean? Google needs to put some serious work into speed before they start adding extensions and such (which I really want).

What's wrong with the Galaxy S 4G?

What does that mean? You're talking to a novice here, dude, lol.

the Galaxy S 4G is an End Of Life device, meaning there are no further updates, so it's staying on Android 2.3 Gingerbread. well, unless you flash a custom rom yourself.

the Galaxy S II recently received Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, and may receive Android 4.1 Jellybean, maybe... and it's just a better device, more than $50 better.

kehs

Banned
I keep looking back at the story about padfone2.

If that thing becomes a nexus I'm going to be super excited.

tino

Banned
Yeah, but there's three of us, so it would be $150 vs. free. Just wondering how the free option phone is.

If you are on TMobile USA, you should be able to find an indirect dealer that give you hard cash for 3 lines you sign up with him and you can use those CASH to buy a Galaxy Nexus. Galaxy S is not worth it.

That giant HTC phone looks like its going to be called the One X 5

I would wish for an ATT version but its probably not going to have 2gb ram and a micro SD slot...so I would skip it anyway. Wait for a feature complete 1080p phone

thespot84

Do you mean like Google Talk?

That s unified messaging right?

It's unified with...itself? It's not unified with:

G+ Messenger,
Google Voice,
Google Hangouts

and for bonus points:
Stock SMS
Email/Gmail (pipe dream)

I can use different apps/ecosystem, all from google, to send an sms, send an instant message, leave a voice message, and video chat. That's not unification, unfortunately.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
So any rumours about when the next nexus phone unveiling might be? Wasn't the Galaxy Nexus unveiled almost a year ago?

kehs

Banned
I knew they would totally fuck themselves in the ass with the "One" branding.

How many "ones" do they have now?

It's unified with...itself? It's not unified with:

G+ Messenger,
Google Voice,
Google Hangouts

and for bonus points:
Stock SMS
Email/Gmail (pipe dream)

I can use different apps/ecosystem, all from google, to send an sms, send an instant message, leave a voice message, and video chat. That's not unification, unfortunately.

i'm all for unified as long as it doesn't force sending/receiving SMS/MMS as an IM... that stuff doesn't really work out so well...

I knew they would totally fuck themselves in the ass with the "One" branding.

How many "ones" do they have now?

what happened was they had a different name planned, but then they found out Microsoft already had a trademark on One Note

If the Galaxy Note is the middle ground between tablet and phone, the Intuition is six parts tablet for every part phone. You absolutely have to use this device in both hands, like a tablet; it really doesn't fit comfortably in a jeans pocket, also like a tablet. The only thing it does that resembles a phone is, well, make phone calls, and it's not really suited to that either. Galaxy Note-toting friends have told me they quickly acclimated to holding the big slab up to their face, but I doubt you'd ever get used to talking on LG's monstrous device.

DAMN!

Wzp51.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom