• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
damn, LG wins the race to letterboxed apps!

SCypt.jpg

kehs

Banned
But what do you purpose they call it?

The only better name I can think of is One Z.

Well I mean, they whole philosophy of the One line is that they were only gonna focus on "one" design, and then they showed off three phones, and now they're further diluting the idea of it with the 8X.

It's like...pick a better name that doesn't clash directly with the philosophy.

---

Unrelated, I don't recognize this laptop machine on the play store, is it a chromebook? I didn't think chromebooks has all the sensors up front? Nexus notebook?

what.jpg

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Well I mean, they whole philosophy of the One line is that they were only gonna focus on "one" design, and then they showed off three phones, and now they're further diluting the idea of it with the 8X.

It's like...pick a better name that doesn't clash directly with the philosophy.

---

Unrelated, I don't recognize this laptop machine on the play store, is it a chromebook? I didn't think chromebooks has all the sensors up front? Nexus notebook?

what.jpg

Samsung series 5 Chromebook

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Samsung_Chromebook.jpg

tino

Banned

The purpose of One branding is make make HTC names less confusing. So far, One series phone do have less confussing names. As oppose the Sony and LG phones. I honest can't tell you what their top phone models are despite reading them so many times in my RSS feed.

Divvy

My friend's Nexus S has been acting strangely recently. It's just been running really slowly, particularly when returning to the homescreen, it lags quite a bit. It used to be fine until it suddenly started acting up. It's on Jelly bean too. Can anyone help?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
lgoptimusgprlead01-1347890720.jpg

It's official! Today in Seoul LG is announcing its latest flagship smartphone, the Optimus G. The 8.45mm (0.33-inch) thin handset -- which has been rumored for weeks -- packs Qualcomm's Fusion 3 chipset which pairs a 1.5GHz quad-core Snapdragon S4 Pro SoC (APQ8064) with a 2G / 3G / LTE radio (MDM9615). It features 2GB of DDR RAM and a 4.7-inch 1280x768 (320ppi) True HD IPS PLUS display with Zerogap Touch (in-cell touch) technology. A sealed 2100mAh Li-polymer battery rated for 800 charge cycles powers this Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) device. The rear camera sports a 13-megapixel backside-illuminated sensor with 1.1µm pixels, an f/2.4 autofocus lens and a dual-LED flash -- along with a more pedestrian 1.3MP shooter in front. There's 32GB of built-in flash storage, but no microSD card slot. Other specs include WiFi, Bluetooth 4.0, A-GPS, NFC and MHL.

Aesthetically, the Optimus G marries LG's Chocolate and Prada design-languages into a sleek 145g (5.11lbs) unibody smartphone. The front is all glass with three capacitive buttons while the back indroduces the company's Crystal Reflection process which gives the handset "the ability to display different patterns depending on the viewing angle and lighting". LG's placing a lot of emphasis on how the user experience benefits from the Optimus G's quad-core Krait CPU and Adreno 320 GPU -- something it calls "cross-tasking". This includes capabilties like QSlide Function, Live Zooming, Dual Screen Dual Play, QuickMemo, Screen Zooming, Application Link and Icon Personalizer, plus camera funtionality such as Time Catch Shot, Cheese Shutter, Smart Shutter and Low Light Shot Noise Reduction -- all of which are detailed for your reading pleasure in the PR after the break.

ep85

QSlide Function shows two different screens simultaneously on one display. As it doesn’t show a part of the screen but the entire screen of both functions, the user can complete two tasks concurrently – such as sending a text message or searching the web while watching a video;
96LsI.jpg

hmm..i can see many uses for this.

And the back is smooth and glossy, holograms are tricky.

thetechkid

So I'm almost up for an upgrade with Verizon and looking for a new phone. I'm currently using a Droid Incredible and its been pretty reliable, but I would prefer more power/better camera as well. What I'm looking for is hardware buttons over software, and a good chance of it supporting Jelly Bean/android community support, and a good battery.

reKon

Banned
So I'm almost up for an upgrade with Verizon and looking for a new phone. I'm currently using a Droid Incredible and its been pretty reliable, but I would prefer more power/better camera as well. What I'm looking for is hardware buttons over software, and a good chance of it supporting Jelly Bean/android community support, and a good battery.

Razr Maxx? Don't they have jelly bean roms for this now?

Or you could wait for the new Razr's coming within in a few months.

tino

Banned
This is weird. The Optinum G is out and it has S4 Pro. But it doesn't have LG's 5" 1080p screen.

Is this 4.7" 1280x768 screen the same one on Nokia 920?

r1chard

Play store needs a new rule: developers must always explain their need for each permission required by their app.

Why the hell does the Tripit update need to prevent my phone from sleeping?

tino

Banned
Play store needs a new rule: developers must always explain their need for each permission required by their app.

Why the hell does the Tripit update need to prevent my phone from sleeping?

This kind of app you can reinstall before a trip. There is zero reason to keep it in the phone unless you flight all the time.

Futureman

I set someone to "never show" in GMail Google Talk on the desktop, but this particular contact still shows up on Google Talk on my phone. Any way around this?

Doopliss

What makes the intel processor so special? Wouldn't it be TERRIBAD for graphics rendering?
The CPU uses Intel's x86 instruction set (like PCs), whereas almost all other smartphones use ARM, so people are curious about how it will perform. The previous couple of Intel phones have benchmarked pretty well for mid-range devices, which is how they were positioned. This Razr has the same processor, only clocked slightly higher, so it's probably nothing to get too excited about. But Intel have announced a really aggressive plan for shrinking their fabrication process (which means more performance consuming less power) so two years from now they may be the best chips available.

I'd recommend everybody hold off from buying phones until then, as any phone bought in the meantime will instantly become a piece of junk.

kehs

Banned
Return of the camera button. yay

Never buy an android phone that won't be supported by xda.

That's too vague a description, support for devices is usually based around how easy it is to unlock, and how much the MFG contributes to AOSP and putting out source code.

Never buy an android phone that won't be supported by xda.

THIS

Having a phone and not being able to change anything on it sucks big time.

I felt this way on the One X until CM10/AOKP got underway. Didn't think that would happen for some reason. Hell it seems everyone gave up on S-OFF because technically its not needed. But if the phone isn't 100% open then I say its needed...

Just my opinion.

EDIT: what really gets me is that they obtained S-OFF on the one s and the evo 4G LTE and I think even the Int'l One X

Divvy

Anyone have any idea of how I can capture video of my galaxy Nexus screen? Screencast doesn't work on it.

Divvy

So the new Pocket brings Text to Speech to the app. It's pretty awesome, but the default android voice sucks. I downloaded one of the Ivona voices and it's like 1000% better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom