• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Ugh. Switched from ATT to TMobile with plans to get the Nexus 5. They ordered it for me yesterday and I received an update today that its backordered. I need a phone much sooner than that.

Considering I'll most likely replace this phone in 6 months (JUMP program), what would be a good stopgap 'til then?

LG G2
Xperia Z (Z1S?) - leaning towards this one
Galaxy S4
HTC One

Help me out Android GAF.

G2

Z1s will be outclassed and replaced shortly with the Z2

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
So between Nexus 5 and G2, would you go for G2 as well?

That's more of a preferential choice, imo

The G2 is probably the better device, but if you're an android purist, the N5 is for you.

imo, the G2 is the better choice. (camera, battery, features, etc)

T-Mobile's Sony Xperia Z1s Does Not Have An Unlockable Bootloader

The new Xperia Z1s on T-Mobile is almost identical to the international Z1, except for the radio bands and some software tweaks. One thing that definitely isn't the same is the bootloader – it appears that T-Mobile has requested Sony not allow bootloader unlocks on this device. For a company trying to upend the traditional carrier model, this is awfully old-fashioned carrier behavior.
Someone tweet John Legere

So people, I have the options to choose between a LG G2 and a Nexus 5 for the same price.

What to pick?
LG G2

Ugh. Switched from ATT to TMobile with plans to get the Nexus 5. They ordered it for me yesterday and I received an update today that its backordered. I need a phone much sooner than that.

Considering I'll most likely replace this phone in 6 months (JUMP program), what would be a good stopgap 'til then?

LG G2
Xperia Z (Z1S?) - leaning towards this one
Galaxy S4
HTC One

Help me out Android GAF.
LG G2

Mrcapcom

That's more of a preferential choice, imo

The G2 is probably the better device, but if you're an android purist, the N5 is for you.

imo, the G2 is the better choice. (camera, battery, features, etc)

I am also looking at the G2 vs N5 for my next phone and I kinda think im hype about Google I/O and having the newest version of Android. My current phone is the N4 and I think ill be happy just having a updated N4 which is what the N5 is. So for now N5

G2 is hot but not having the latest version of android or even say a GPE version where I could at least get those in rom form kinda sucks for me. I haven't had a non nexus device in awhile im super spoiled. And I am really enjoying stock emoji's on my N4

I am also looking at the G2 vs N5 for my next phone and I kinda think im hype about Google I/O and having the newest version of Android. My current phone is the N4 and I think ill be happy just having a updated N4 which is what the N5 is. So for now N5

G2 is hot but not having the latest version of android or even say a GPE version where I could at least get those in rom form kinda sucks for me. I haven't had a non nexus device in awhile im super spoiled. And I am really enjoying stock emoji's on my N4

N5 better updates. G2 better camera and battery. G2 has more retail value

I haven't charged my G2 in 1.5 days and still have 40% battery left, and I've actually been using it. The contrast is better on the G2 as well in comparison to the N5, which I had before returning it. Better build quality as well. G2 all the way.

I just got a case for my G2 and it makes it feel so much better. Not as slippery, some space on the back buttons, and the screen feels larger. It's awesome.

I haven't charged my G2 in 1.5 days and still have 40% battery left, and I've actually been using it. The contrast is better on the G2 as well in comparison to the N5, which I had before returning it. Better build quality as well. G2 all the way.
Really? I kinda feel like my battery is draining a bit too quickly.

AndyD

aka andydumi
What case did you get? I have the Spigen Slim Armor and don't really like it.

Yea, what case? I have the Tudia one and its just OK. I am eyeing just a snap type thin one a la Incipio Feather, but I am not sure I want to spend $20 without seeing it first. Any generic super thin ones out there? Preferably with an open top/bottom or at least bottom for a charger dock? Or just a bumper? All I really need is for the sides to be less slippery.

bjscott05

Actually, that's the one I got. Its pretty low profile compared to an OtterBox and it a lot like my Ballistic case for my Nexus 4.

Gotcha. It's well built, I'm just not a fan of the angled sides. Kinda slippery, too.

BTW if you are getting a ton of battery drain make sure you disable carrier IQ. That drained my battery a decent amount.

Anyone know where I can find a .zip file or something containing all the Google Now background/header images in one place? That's not an app, and can be downloaded easily from a phone?

popeutlal

How do you guys deal with 2GB data limit? I have unlimited data and was thinking about an upgrade but it'll drop me back to 2GB data plan. So I started to monitor my data...in 9 days I've used 709MB just doing web surfing and youtube...no way I can survive on a 2 GB data plan.

Hmmmm, that is strange. I have to turn on GPS to make my battery move. Do you have lots of refreshing data?
I don't think so, but I bet sync is draining a bit. I do have Bluetooth and GPS on as I connect my phone yo my stereo.
Gotcha. It's well built, I'm just not a fan of the angled sides. Kinda slippery, too.

BTW if you are getting a ton of battery drain make sure you disable carrier IQ. That drained my battery a decent amount.
Ah. Makes sense. I didn't realize the back didn't have a grip till you mentioned it being slippery.
Carrier IQ?

How do you guys deal with 2GB data limit? I have unlimited data and was thinking about an upgrade but it'll drop me back to 2GB data plan. So I started to monitor my data...in 9 days I've used 709MB just doing web surfing and youtube...no way I can survive on a 2 GB data plan.

My data plan is capped at 200MB (at&t). Can't afford anything else. Thankfully I'm usually always somewhere with WiFi. I really wish I could move to T-Mobile or some carrier with cheap, unlimited data.

Thank you!

bjscott05

I don't think so, but I bet sync is draining a bit. I do have Bluetooth and GPS on as I connect my phone yo my stereo.

Ah. Makes sense. I didn't realize the back didn't have a grip till you mentioned it being slippery.
Carrier IQ?

From what I remember it is on the ATT and T Mobile version. T Mobile just lets you turn it off I believe. ATT version must be disabled with system tuner. Search it on XDA if you are curious.

Guys.. I need help. I have a T-Mobile LG G2. I just updated to the newest software version not too long ago. I've been having severe battery draining issues (100% to ~47% over 6 hours with no screen time, dimmest screen possible, etc.) and I just restarted it and it is just looping the T-Mobile 4g LTE splash screen over and over. It shows my lockscreen for a split second and then repeats. I have not run any custom firmware or anything.

Any ideas? I'd prefer not to factory reset if possible but it might be my best choice. Although, I'm not sure how to do that without access to my settings :/

SuperSah

Banned

I'm on a unlimited data plan (3), and I never use more than 2GB a month and I'm out and about a lot.

Doopliss

Guys.. I need help. I have a T-Mobile LG G2. I just updated to the newest software version not too long ago. I've been having severe battery draining issues (100% to ~47% over 6 hours with no screen time, dimmest screen possible, etc.) and I just restarted it and it is just looping the T-Mobile 4g LTE splash screen over and over. It shows my lockscreen for a split second and then repeats. I have not run any custom firmware or anything.

Any ideas? I'd prefer not to factory reset if possible but it might be my best choice. Although, I'm not sure how to do that without access to my settings :/
Two things I would do:
1. Try booting into recovery mode and clearing cache.
2. Try booting into safe mode (normally done by holding both volume up and down as soon as the boot logo appears). This (I think) disables all downloaded apps, so if it manages to boot ok you should be able to fix the problem by figuring out which app you need to uninstall. If it still doesn't boot you're probably screwed.

MattDoza

Youtube is most certainly the primary hog, in that usage. I don't go over with normal use stuff; maps (don't use too often, but sometimes), gmail, twitter (disable prefetching and previewing of images and media when on data), and chrome. Turning it off when you're not actively using it also helps.

From what I remember it is on the ATT and T Mobile version. T Mobile just lets you turn it off I believe. ATT version must be disabled with system tuner. Search it on XDA if you are curious.
Huh. I can't seem to figure out how to disable Carrier IQ with System Tuner. I can see the processes, but I can't select them. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Two things I would do:
1. Try booting into recovery mode and clearing cache.
2. Try booting into safe mode (normally done by holding both volume up and down as soon as the boot logo appears). This (I think) disables all downloaded apps, so if it manages to boot ok you should be able to fix the problem by figuring out which app you need to uninstall. If it still doesn't boot you're probably screwed.

Yep, I was screwed. Tried a few different things with no luck, so I did a factory reset. I may have lost some newer photos I did not have backed up but if it fixes my battery life, I won't mind at all.

Thanks for the suggestions. Hopefully my issues I've been having lately will be fixed now!

Ok gaf, another give away.

I have one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H7FJX7M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The company sent me the wrong one. They're sending me the correct one and told me to keep the wrong one.

If anyone can use this one, let me know. I'll drop it in an envelope and send it off to you for free. Just send me a pm.

(I'm sending the PORT B configuration, please make sure you can use that one)
I want it, but I wouldn't use it I believe. Pretty cool of you to do this though, so thanks anyway. You get a triple thumbs up from me :)

vivftp

Supposed leaked pics of Xperia phone codename Sirius, which should be the Z2:

130508q6y0jb451t4wbtc0.jpg

130509wkdx5qxjddjyxtex.jpg

130511c01j0fygvyygxfm1.jpg

130513yqpcef7qbgppqy1q.jpg

130514nq3hbbtbcb3tbbrc.jpg

130517n75w9k2hzo0w2lz3.jpg

MarkusRJR

Legit getting angry trying to find a phone that fits my needs. Could android GAF help?

-I want really good battery life (a day or two). I want to use my phone with Pebble, so I want it to last a day with bluetooth going through the day.
-Decent storage options (micro SD card slot or large enough internal storage).
-Not completely outdated (not on Jelly Bean or Kit Kat)
-Less than $450.

I was originally looking at the Mega or S4 Mini, but the first is way too big and the latter apparently has really bad battery life. Then I looked at the Moto G, which is nearly perfect for me, but it has no expandable storage and only 8gb. The Nexus 5 looks good but it apparently has poor battery life, thought I'm not 100% sure on that.

Anyone have any ideas?

catmincer

Legit getting angry trying to find a phone that fits my needs. Could android GAF help?

-I want really good battery life (a day or two). I want to use my phone with Pebble, so I want it to last a day with bluetooth going through the day.
-Decent storage options (micro SD card slot or large enough internal storage).
-Not completely outdated (not on Jelly Bean or Kit Kat)
-Less than $450.

I was originally looking at the Mega or S4 Mini, but the first is way too big and the latter apparently has really bad battery life. Then I looked at the Moto G, which is nearly perfect for me, but it has no expandable storage and only 8gb. The Nexus 5 looks good but it apparently has poor battery life, thought I'm not 100% sure on that.

Anyone have any ideas?

Xperia ZL? It's a bit more expensive than you mentioned but free case and it's unlocked.

Sony Link

Xperia SP is also really nice for the price, again unlocked.

Sony Link

MarkusRJR

Xperia ZL? It's a bit more expensive than you mentioned but free case and it's unlocked.

Sony Link

Xperia SP is also really nice for the price, again unlocked.

Sony Link
I live in Canada so neither option exists for me.

I was looking at the Oppo Find 5 or the Oppo R819, but the former has kind of meh battery life. I kind of like the look of the midnight R819, and it's only $320. Anyone know how decent a phone the latter is? EDIT: Nevermind, it only carries one of Telus's HSPA bands.

Groof

Ok gaf, another give away.

I have one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H7FJX7M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The company sent me the wrong one. They're sending me the correct one and told me to keep the wrong one.

If anyone can use this one, let me know. I'll drop it in an envelope and send it off to you for free. Just send me a pm.

(I'm sending the PORT B configuration, please make sure you can use that one)
The one who wrote that description must really not know how to spell micro USB.

I live in Canada so neither option exists for me.

I was looking at the Oppo Find 5 or the Oppo R819, but the former has kind of meh battery life. I kind of like the look of the midnight R819, and it's only $320. Anyone know how decent a phone the latter is? EDIT: Nevermind, it only carries one of Telus's HSPA bands.

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00CHHE3AW/

Solid price. I have it as my work phone. The battery life is godllike tbh. Much better than my personal ZL. The screen is only passable though. Everything else is good to great except the screen. The other option for you is to wait for the T2 Ultra. It's a big phone but it's going to be super cheap, $399 for D5306 in the US. The screen on that is bloody amazing though. Easily the best screens available on a cheap phone.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I live with 500mb a month.

Canada no fun.

Supposed leaked pics of Xperia phone codename Sirius, which should be the Z2:

I wish Sony would go back to the Xperia ZL design. Not to say that this looks bad (it's gorgeous), but those tiny bezels and that curved back were something special. It was the perfect phone. If they would just make a larger screen version of the ZL, like 5.5", it'd be amazing.

CronoShot

I'm a little confused. The Note 3 is my first Android phone with an SD card.

So I'm trying to move Asphault 8 over to the SD card. The phone only lists about 23 MB worth of internal storage space being taken up by it (1.6 GB is showing as an SD Card App), but I know the entire game is on the phone, because I can take the SD card out and still play it. Selecting "Move to SD Card" only moves like 20MB worth of stuff over, and now I can't play it without the SD card.

I have no idea what's going on.

So I'm trying to move Asphault 8 over to the SD card. The phone only lists about 23 MB worth of internal storage space being taken up by it (1.6 GB is showing as an SD Card App), but I know the entire game is on the phone, because I can take the SD card out and still play it. Selecting "Move to SD Card" only moves like 20MB worth of stuff over, and now I can't play it without the SD card.

You can only store media files on Android phones ics and later.

it depends on how the game/app is designed. only certain files are stored on SD, for apps that includes the larger data files, for others it doesn't.

CronoShot

it depends on how the game/app is designed. only certain files are stored on SD, for apps that includes the larger data files, for others it doesn't.

Seems like an entirely pointless feature to have if it only saves me 20 MB of space.

And I really don't like how it says lists 1.63 GB under "SD card app", but it's actually on my phone. There doesn't seem to be any way to tell how much space these apps are actually taking up on the phone, and how much is on the SD card.

Seems like an entirely pointless feature to have if it only saves me 20 MB of space.

And I really don't like how it says lists 1.63 GB under "SD card app", but it's actually on my phone. There doesn't seem to be any way to tell how much space these apps are actually taking up on the phone, and how much is on the SD card.

is the feature the problem or the app?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom