• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiraly

I'm currently on a crummy old Galaxy SII, so I'd be fine with a 4.3" screen. There's one thing the GS4+ seems to have that I guess the Z1c doesn't offer; the option to use both cameras at once. I like that feature.

That is such a small feature that you will probably use only for a small amount of time until the novelty wears off, I wouldn't let your decision be based upon that.

There might even be an app that mimics this feature in the app store.

kIdMuScLe

I'm pretty new to this.. Got me a Moto G this weekend, coming from a Lumia 800.

Am I understanding correctly that there is no way of syncing your facebook contacts? The only thing I've found so far is apps that adds a facebook picture to your existing contacts.

No I don't think there is a way... Is a feature that stock rom doesn't have which the other roms do have.

Xeno_V

Can anyone tell me what's the average price for getting some of the major flagship phones off-contract (and SIM unlocked) at the moment in the US?

I am in Europe and I plan to visit the US kinda soon and here although many phones retail for 600 EUR or so you can easily get them for 400+ EUR. For example LG G2 is at 400, Galaxy S4 at 410 and HTC One at 450. This is still like paying around 600$ by the way.

How are things in the US? I feel like prices tend to fluctuate less over there, but then maybe I am mistaken.

Can anyone tell me what's the average price for getting some of the major flagship phones off-contract (and SIM unlocked) at the moment in the US?

I am in Europe and I plan to visit the US kinda soon and here although many phones retail for 600 EUR or so you can easily get them for 400+ EUR. For example LG G2 is at 400, Galaxy S4 at 410 and HTC One at 450. This is still like paying around 600$ by the way.

How are things in the US? I feel like prices tend to fluctuate less over there, but then maybe I am mistaken.

Cheaper in Europe for sure. The US phone market is nowhere near as competitive as ours.

Husker86

*sigh*... That's just great. Thanks Larry! I guess that this is one time when it's a good thing that I don't have that many friends.
Google and Facebook had some issue where Facebook wanted ownership of any contacts it synced and Google didn't want to allow that and so now they just don't play well with each other. Android OEMs sidestep that little disagreement so they usually have Facebook integration.

phoenixyz

Guys, if I want to install a custom ROM (currently on unrooted, stock Galaxy Nexus) what would be the best way to do a backup? I really don't want to install and setup all those apps again. And what about SMS and stuff like that? Would a backup via ADB or Carbon/Helium be enough?

tino

Banned

It's not just higher price, there is almost no way to buy unlocked phone in person. Nowadays there are almost no third party independent phone retailer. You have to walk into one of the 4 major carriers and buy a "locked" phone from them, or your order it online from website you have never heard off (usually based outside of US).

I sugguest you bring an European unlocked phone over, it will run in HSDPA (3.5G) speed on both T-Mobile and ATT. Trust me at lease on Tmobile, there is almost no difference between 3.5G and LTE in real world.

tino

Banned
Guys, if I want to install a custom ROM (currently on unrooted, stock Galaxy Nexus) what would be the best way to do a backup? I really don't want to install and setup all those apps again. And what about SMS and stuff like that? Would a backup via ADB or Carbon/Helium be enough?

Root it and backup with Titanium Backup, simple and straight forward.

That is such a small feature that you will probably use only for a small amount of time until the novelty wears off, I wouldn't let your decision be based upon that.

nah, using both cameras at once is something the OEM has to bake in.

phoenixyz

Galaxy Nexus, as I wrote in my original question. And yes I am willing to do that but I want to know how to best backup my data before wiping my device:

yyzjohn

Banned
It seems I would need to unlock the bootloader to root (which will wipe the device).

This is why you unlock the bootloader first thing when you get the phone before doing anything else. Standard Android practice. Although wiping the phone for me is no huge issue as I have everything backed up with Google servers for contacts/calendar/email/music/photos. All apps get re-installed too when you first log in.

tino

Banned
Galaxy Nexus, as I wrote in my original question. And yes I am willing to do that but I want to know how to best backup my data before wiping my device:

I have reinstalled shit on plenty of phones. In my experience only very few app need deep customization, for example my Podcast app. But they usually give you option to make a backup locally to your SD card.

You can go through your app list. Its not as much work as you think. Also, remember even if you backup your apps, its only recommended to restore your third party apps. It's not recommended to restore google apps if you have new rom.

Anyway if I were you I would sell the GN and get a new phone. It's not worth the effort to tinker with such an old phone.

I got a large SSD for my Lenovo x301 laptop. I am having a hard time getting motivated to do the backup and ghost procedure to upgrade my SSD. Its the same reason. If the hardware is old I have no motivation to upgrade it.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

True. I ended up going with the Z1C for the better specs/better camera.

does nexus 5 have any icon packs similar to m'flat for ios7? can you even change icons on a nexus 5 (I don't own one, but I'm planning on getting one)

mflat.jpg

tino

Banned
Sony PR leaked the Z2 spec because they knew something similar or better is going to be announced soon. Thats the only reason a phone gets leak.

Unless its iPhone, then its actual leak from China.

Tommy DJ

That's probably the case but even their low and mid range phones get leaked two months before their announcement. Unless Sony consciously leaks everything they have, they're definitely worse than any other mobile company at keeping stuff secret.

Even iPhones don't leak as many details as Sony's low end $150 single core crap.

phoenixyz

For the record, Helium Backup without root works, but will not restore some apps for unknown reason. Also all apps who use the accounts feature of android need to be setup manually again. Still much better than installing and setting up everything by hand though.

This is why you unlock the bootloader first thing when you get the phone before doing anything else. Standard Android practice.
I don't really want to void the warranty of my phone first thing after getting it ;)

Anyway if I were you I would sell the GN and get a new phone. It's not worth the effort to tinker with such an old phone.
I am a poor student. And the GNex is perfectly fine. It just needed a software upgrade.

Nicktendo86

Not sure if this is thread worth so posting here for the moment, our good friend Judge Lucy Koh as judged that Samsung have infringed on Apple's autocomplete patent. This one could have far reaching implications... The thing that really annoys me though is the BBC have included a picture with the caption "The ruling included this image of Samsung's user interface", it is clearly a screenshot of a Galaxy Nexus so is Google's user interface!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25842637

yyzjohn

Banned
For the record, Helium Backup without root works, but will not restore some apps for unknown reason. Also all apps who use the accounts feature of android need to be setup manually again. Still much better than installing and setting up everything by hand though.

I don't really want to void the warranty of my phone first thing after getting it ;)

Not sure about manufacturer phones but on a nexus it's so easy to unlock/relock the bootloader. Once it's relocked I don't think there's a way to tell you've unlocked it in the first place.

kehs

Banned
Not sure if this is thread worth so posting here for the moment, our good friend Judge Lucy Koh as judged that Samsung have infringed on Apple's autocomplete patent. This one could have far reaching implications... The thing that really annoys me though is the BBC have included a picture with the caption "The ruling included this image of Samsung's user interface", it is clearly a screenshot of a Galaxy Nexus so is Google's user interface!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25842637

I haven't read a Florian blog in ages, by the way he writes I swear he's a gaffer that I won't name.

Kiraly

sharpaquosminiseriejt.jpg

Aquos mini SHL24

4.5" 1920x1080
Snapdragon 800
Waterproof
2,120mAh

124 x 63 x 9.9mm

Dear fucking lord
Japan only

tino

Banned
sharpaquosminiseriejt.jpg

Aquos mini SHL24

4.5" 1920x1080
Snapdragon 800
Waterproof
2,120mAh

124 x 63 x 9.9mm

Dear fucking lord
Japan only

Meh. It's not like you can see the resolution. Get the Z1 mini you can save some power with a 720p screen. Plus better camera.

kehs

Banned
All Google knows how to do is steal apparently.

SimpleAir announced today that a federal jury returned a verdict that SimpleAir’s U.S. Patent No. 7,035,914 is infringed by Google. The verdict was reached on Saturday, January 18, 2014, following a week-long trial presided over by the Honorable Rodney Gilstrap, U.S. District Judge for the Eastern District of Texas.

SimpleAir had alleged that Google’s push notification services for the Android smartphones and tablets infringed five claims of the ‘914 patent. The jury agreed unanimously on all counts of infringement and also found unanimously that each claim was valid. The validity of the patent had previously been confirmed by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office during a Reexamination proceeding that concluded in February 2013.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...oogle-Infringed-SimpleAir-Patent#.UuBUsBAo4wE

Edit: I just realized the source is a press release from simpleair....hmm

bjscott05

G2 Xposed app updated today and added the option to chose AOSP lockscreen. So much better than the default lockscreen. Hated the LG unlock animations.

Halcyon

Ugh this is frustrating.

I got a Moto G yesterday and after having to drive around all over town trying to find the T-Mobile 100 voice minute $30 plan activation kit, I finally got it set up.

I've spent most of this morning trying to configure Google Voice and figure out how to best display the calls and text messaging.

I don't really think there's going to be an option that isn't going to be "less than ideal" with how this has to be set up. All my SMS messages are currently going through Google Voice which I don't like but can't find a better alternative. The T-Mobile data service where I'm working has dropped to 1 bar of the not even 3g stuff.

I'm gonna go out at lunch and try to make a call over the data plan to see if it is even worth doing all this. If not I think i'm gonna try $45 straight talk plan from walmart.

Does anybody else use the $30 tmobile plan?

jaydogg691

LZkKXYLl.jpg

Just got this baby yesterday. First impressions: it's big (compared to the GS4) and the screen isn't all that great (compared to the GS4), but man is this thing sexy.

thespot84

Ugh this is frustrating.

I got a Moto G yesterday and after having to drive around all over town trying to find the T-Mobile 100 voice minute $30 plan activation kit, I finally got it set up.

I've spent most of this morning trying to configure Google Voice and figure out how to best display the calls and text messaging.

I don't really think there's going to be an option that isn't going to be "less than ideal" with how this has to be set up. All my SMS messages are currently going through Google Voice which I don't like but can't find a better alternative. The T-Mobile data service where I'm working has dropped to 1 bar of the not even 3g stuff.

I'm gonna go out at lunch and try to make a call over the data plan to see if it is even worth doing all this. If not I think i'm gonna try $45 straight talk plan from walmart.

Does anybody else use the $30 tmobile plan?

I was on the $60 plan and ditched it because i couldn't get service in my office. Also, did you turn off voicemail from tmo? google voice won't work if you don't in my experience.

gophone has a $40 200MB unlimited text plan. I went to gophone to get at&t coverage and it's great so far. Probably worth the extra $10.

Halcyon

I was on the $60 plan and ditched it because i couldn't get service in my office. Also, did you turn off voicemail from tmo? google voice won't work if you don't in my experience.

gophone has a $40 200MB unlimited text plan. I went to gophone to get at&t coverage and it's great so far. Probably worth the extra $10.

I'm definitely not happy with t-mobile's service. I have google voice working because i changed my number anyway so if i give it out it will be the google voice number which goes to GV. I think the straight talk uses the at&t towers mixed with t-mobile's so i i'm gonna try it next month.

If that fails i'm gonna just spend the money on a $60 verizon plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom