• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Jeffrey

I want one, but it's a bit out of my price range. I can get those first two phones I mentioned for about $300, whereas the 3T's sitting at about 400.
Isn't moto z Droid carrier locked to Verizon? Moto z is the unlocked one.

Think you mean z play too if you can find for $300.

limination

Neo Member
Isn't moto z Droid carrier locked to Verizon? Moto z is the unlocked one.

Think you mean z play too if you can find for $300.

Nah, it's the Z Droid but apparently it's unlocked for GSM use as well. From what I understand though, it may not have full compatibility with GSM networks (uses some different LTE bands or something that can impact reception depending on where you are), so I'm probably gonna go with the Axon.

Jeffrey

Nah, it's the Z Droid but apparently it's unlocked for GSM use as well. From what I understand though, it may not have full compatibility with GSM networks (uses some different LTE bands or something that can impact reception depending on where you are), so I'm probably gonna go with the Axon.

Just beware that your data might be sent to China from a recent post on /r/axon7

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
htc-u-11-leak.jpg

New HTC leaks..meh

http://m.androidcentral.com/leaked-specs-htc-u-11-reveal-snapdragon-835-and-6gb-ram

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
MS week this week. Press event tomorrow.

Rumor is they finally show off their Windows 10 cloud OS. I don't think they are gonna show off hardware yet though.

Guess we will finally see if this is a legit ChromeOS competitor.

I'm super interested to see what difference their is between normal windows and this.

Jeffrey

So what ever happen to qc 4 lol. Is no company gonna support it?

MS week this week. Press event tomorrow.

Rumor is they finally show off their Windows 10 cloud OS. I don't think they are gonna show off hardware yet though.

Guess we will finally see if this is a legit ChromeOS competitor.

I'm super interested to see what difference their is between normal windows and this.

I want a new surface something. My sp3 battery is crap now.

Doesn't seem like this is the event though

Vanillalite

If anything they need to update their regular surface. That shit is even more long in the tooth than their pro lineup.

Staab

Is there really nothing recently released that is a step-up over a Z3compact / Z5compact yet retains a similar size (130x70 approx) ?

Apart from the X compact, which is more or less equal, there's the SE, but it's an iPhone.

Nothing announced either, right ?

I really don't want to get a big ass phone :(

Jeffrey

QC3 is fine enough.

What's not on that graph that we all should be screaming for is BT5. The sooner everything switches to BT5 the better. It's such a drastic improvement.
I mean they introduced the tech at the 835 reveal event.

You'd think some of the not Samsung 835 phones would support it?

Qc3 is fine but it's still hotter and slower than the proprietary stuff from China.

Faster charging at lower heat to minimize battery life impact should be the thing that is improved on every year as with performance imo.

kaiyo

Is there really nothing recently released that is a step-up over a Z3compact / Z5compact yet retains a similar size (130x70 approx) ?

Apart from the X compact, which is more or less equal, there's the SE, but it's an iPhone.

Nothing announced either, right ?

I really don't want to get a big ass phone :(

Wait until September for Sony to announce their next compact lol

HigXx

Wait until September for Sony to announce their next compact lol

Do you think Sony will announce another flagship this year? With XZ premium not out to June theyre launching their flagship a bit later this year, making me undecided to get the XZ P or wait it out

Okay, so as I'm still getting used to things, one thing I want to do that I could do before is change the screen color temperature. Out of the box, this display is way too blue. I just want to adjust the color temperature slightly. Is there an app for that or something? The blue light filter in the settings is too agressive.

Jeffrey

Okay, so as I'm still getting used to things, one thing I want to do that I could do before is change the screen color temperature. Out of the box, this display is way too blue. I just want to adjust the color temperature slightly. Is there an app for that or something? The blue light filter in the settings is too agressive.
Phone?

I remember there being a screen calibration feature in the Android N beta or developer preview or something, but I'm not sure if it made it into the release builds or the G6.

Try pulling down the notification shade and holding the settings cog icon for a few seconds. Then there might be a system UI tuner option somewhere in the settings that may have a color and appearance option.

I remember there being a screen calibration feature in the Android N beta or developer preview or something, but I'm not sure if it made it into the release builds or the G6.

Try pulling down the notification shade and holding the settings cog icon for a few seconds. Then there might be a system UI tuner option somewhere in the settings that may have a color and appearance option.
Yeah, I'm not seeing anything happen after holding down settings. This is for the G6 though. I think the S8 had something like this though?

kaiyo

Do you think Sony will announce another flagship this year? With XZ premium not out to June theyre launching their flagship a bit later this year, making me undecided to get the XZ P or wait it out

If you want a 5.5"/4k screen go for the XZ P. If you follow how they release phones for the past few years, they will likely release a compact (XZ2[?] Compact) and a 5.2" (XZ2[?]) in the latter half of the year, around Oct.

I have a few other questions.
I'm using Arrow Launcher, but I want to lock the screen by double-tapping on the Home screen and the only way to do this disables fingerprint unlock, right? No way around this?
And also, what's a good GBA emulator?

vivftp

Yup, so far based on impressions I've seen since MWC people seem quite happy with the XZ Premium. Just waiting for info on Canadian carrier availability and I'll pick one up as soon as possible.

While I have no doubt Sony will have a refreshed update of the XZs at IFA, I doubt they'll have any sort of replacement for the XZ Premium until next year so I feel pretty comfortable in buying it and not just waiting to see what's around the corner.

kaiyo

Yup, so far based on impressions I've seen since MWC people seem quite happy with the XZ Premium. Just waiting for info on Canadian carrier availability and I'll pick one up as soon as possible.

While I have no doubt Sony will have a refreshed update of the XZs at IFA, I doubt they'll have any sort of replacement for the XZ Premium until next year so I feel pretty comfortable in buying it and not just waiting to see what's around the corner.

Can't get much better than XZ Premium either.

I doubt it's just going to be a refreshed of XZs at IFA and more of a next upgrade to it(the XZ), with the specs of the Premium (minus the 4k screen) and a design more like it.

Not sure what's done it, its either disabling lots of bloat through Package Disabler or booting into Safe Mode for testing purposes has done something, but I'm finally getting some decent battery life with my Note 5 on Nougat. Yesterday I managed 15hr35min off charger with 6hr27min of SOT.

Android OS had been destroying my battery, especially when on mobile data, and even sitting on my desk doing nothing I'd be losing several % an hour. Now it seems to be dozing as it should, no regular spikes in CPU usage or temperatures, and this is on mobile data (3g only).

This is good, I was beginning to think I had a dodgy battery.

Hopefully this will continue and I can keep the phone until the G6 starts getting heavily discounted. Or the S7 Edge gets closer to £400.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Somthing is wrong with chrome and gaf today. ad at top of the page is fucking everything. Any suggestions for browser?

BraXzy

Cross posting from the Galaxy S8 OT...

I've been having a weird issue with the phone the past few days... I'm not automatically getting notifications from various apps unless I open them. I can't tell if it's an issue with the phone, the apps or my network?

For example.. every time I open FB messenger, I get a tonne of notifications pour in at once from conversations. These don't come through naturally. I just noticed the same with my gmail. I had 4 new emails but no notification till I opened the app.

As far as I can tell, notifications are set to on?

Hasney

Was playing around with a Galaxy S8+ in store and goddamn is that screen gorgeous. Was going to pull the trigger, but playing around with videos looks like I'd actually get a smaller 16:9 video there than on my 6P. Since most of my phone time is watching videos on a kickstand, it's not for me. Even then I was tempted with how nice the screen is, but I know it would annoy me in the long run.

Cross posting from the Galaxy S8 OT...

I've been having a weird issue with the phone the past few days... I'm not automatically getting notifications from various apps unless I open them. I can't tell if it's an issue with the phone, the apps or my network?

For example.. every time I open FB messenger, I get a tonne of notifications pour in at once from conversations. These don't come through naturally. I just noticed the same with my gmail. I had 4 new emails but no notification till I opened the app.

As far as I can tell, notifications are set to on?

Any battery saving options on? That's what usually does it.

NeOak

thuway

I want to buy an Xperia Z premium but Sony doesn't release any thing in America without a significant price premium and have had some really shoddy build quality issues in the past Xperia phone lines.

The other issue I have is - the bezels on the GS8+ are just amazing in every regard :).

Mindwipe

I want to buy an Xperia Z premium but Sony doesn't release any thing in America without a significant price premium and have had some really shoddy build quality issues in the past Xperia phone lines.

The other issue I have is - the bezels on the GS8+ are just amazing in every regard :).

Yeah, I think that it's going to be really hard to sell a flagship with bezels from now on. Sony, Google, LG etc are going to have to move fast.

EmiPrime

My Nexus 5 boot-looped. :( It didn't even have the courtesy to wait for J8sus, Xperia ZX Spectrum or the Pixel 2 to come out before dying.

Have to buy a phone tomorrow morning, probably an iPhone 7. I don't fancy any of the current Android phones.

Vanillalite

My Nexus 5 boot-looped. :( It didn't even have the courtesy to wait for J8sus, Xperia ZX Spectrum or the Pixel 2 to come out before dying.

Have to buy a phone tomorrow morning, probably an iPhone 7. I don't fancy any of the current Android phones.

Get a Moto G5 Plus

Then flip it when the Pixel 2 or iPhone J8sus comes out

Top Bottom