• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

WTF, why didn't Xiaomi put the 4100mah battery the Redmi series has.

A53s are fine, but A72s do have a noticeable performance advantage in opening apps and web browsing.

Guess Qualcomm doesn't want the 660 series really competing with the 835, the 625 is great value for its price. Funny how it covers such a wide range of phones - from under $200 to $400.

dcll

Banned
No matter how good it is LG wont be able to compete with Samsung due to marketing alone. I am not sure if the number is accurate but on a podcast I was listening to they claimed Samsung spends billions a year on marketing

Ty4on

A53 is fine in the G5 Plus.

The problem A53 cores had in older phones were the clock speed. Larger nodes meant shit was clocked at like 1.2ghz.

The whole reason the 625 is any good is it's finally a node shrink down to 14nm so they clocked the cores up to 2ghz. Makes all the functional difference in the world.

This is especially true because lots of stuff still seems to be single threaded and run better on just higher clocks alone.
It's still not very fast. They're fine for lower end, but it is depressing that some 2012 chipsets outperforms it.

High clocks also kinda negate the efficiency advantage and you can see they're close to the limit as nobody push much above 2Ghz. A53s are at their most efficient below 1.5Ghz. I think it's designed for ~1.4
a53-power-curve_575px.png
Different node probably (still 14nm), but you can see how boosting frequency 50% from 1 to 1.5 more than doubles power consumption.

-----
It's fine, but I want stuff to actually get better lol. It's depressing to see performance barely improve and in some cases regressing. It wasn't that weird a few years ago to see mid-range devices with the S800 like N5 and OnePlus.

Antagon

I'm in need of a new budget android phone. Is there any good reason not to go for a Lenovo P2? If so, what would be the best alternative be?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm in need of a new budget android phone. Is there any good reason not to go for a Lenovo P2? If so, what would be the best alternative be?

They P2 and G5 Plus are similar phones.

I'd just pick between the two and they both are essentially Lenovo even if the G5 Plus retains the Moto brand.

I think the P2 display is pentile though, and the G5 Plus has a slightly better camera.

It's the exact same chipset in both though.

Idk what the pricing difference is in your area.

It's decent. It depends on what you value. Honor 8 is all about a small size phone with a very fast cpu and great camera at its price. The Motos are about a simple stock experience with their Moto suite of apps.

im not gonna bet honor 8 will be getting many future updates either. huawei, and china companies in general give little shit about updates for phones. kinda hard for them to manage anyways when they push out a new phone ever other week.

Good points. I went with the Moto G5 Plus because it's still a huge performance jump from the G2, we plan on having this phones for 3+ years, and (security) updates are important to me.

Jeffrey

On the note of the headphone jack, however, we’re told by a different anonymous source (with a good but imperfect track record) that there is a lot of talk happening internally regarding damage control for removing the port. We’re told to expect some “nuanced answers” in the coming weeks, but it’s unclear what that means. Perhaps Google intends to pitch Assistant-powered headphones as a trade off. We are entirely confident, however, thanks to the source that provided the above images, that Google has prepared a USB-C to 3.5mm dongle which will assumably ship with the phone in the box.

"nuanced answers"

this_guy

I can pick and choose too :p

Edit: just for fun

No one is disputing that A53 cores aren't as fast as A72 or A73 cores. But they're fast enough for snappy performance as evidenced by the Moto Z Play last year and phones that use the Snapdragon 625 tend to have pretty great battery life.

Ideally you would use all 3 cpu cores to provide better battery and performance.

One cluster of A35 cores, A53/A55 cluster, and the more powerful A72/A73.

Octa-core A53 are just easy to implement and provide good enough performance.

Ty4on

No one is disputing that A53 cores aren't as fast as A72 or A73 cores. But they're fast enough for snappy performance as evidenced by the Moto Z Play last year and phones that use the Snapdragon 625 tend to have pretty great battery life.

Yeah, but it's slower than a 2013 CPU...

I want some overkill there because I will be stuck one day with a thread that is really hard to run and the phone will slow down a lot. Doesn't have to be full on 835 speeds, but something that means midrange 2017 actually is faster than midrange 2013. Technology is supposed to progress.

When there's a constant push for stuff to get faster it gets faster. Android phones, especially outside the high end, haven't really been getting better while high end is getting more and more expensive.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I can pick and choose too :p

That shows it is faster than the G4 Plus with the same cores though?

That's the whole point. It's A53 cores, but the node shrink means they can bump the clock. Hence the performance gains? It's virtually the same chip at the 617, but the node shrink meant higher clocks.

Idk what you are even arguing anymore. Not to mention we never ever saw $200 phones with this performance.

I also didn't pick and choose. Ars is the only site that does comprehensive benchmarks, and those were overall benchmarks not just kraken.

Noema

A53 is fine in the G5 Plus.

The problem A53 cores had in older phones were the clock speed. Larger nodes meant shit was clocked at like 1.2ghz.

The whole reason the 625 is any good is it's finally a node shrink down to 14nm so they clocked the cores up to 2ghz. Makes all the functional difference in the world.

This is especially true because lots of stuff still seems to be single threaded and run better on just higher clocks alone.

Yeah the 62X might be A53s but it's night and day compared to the dumpster fire that was the 61X.

My friends Moto Z Play outperforms my nexus 6 both in benchmarks and real world usage while offering vastly better battery life.

It's a great SoC. Certainty good enough for most.

dcll

Banned
I would love to hear from spec whores who look down upon lower end phones what they couldnt do realistically on a phone with a 625...what are you really doing that a 625 isnt good enough?!

Jeffrey

I would love to hear from spec whores who look down upon lower end phones what they couldnt do realistically on a phone with a 625...what are you really doing that a 625 isnt good enough?!

day to day its fine. heck with stock aosp, its probably as smooth as something with a 835.

loads might be slightly longer.

iBeleaf

What is a good phone that will last me 3-4 years. Right now I got the Nexus 5 lol. Was thinking about getting the new pixel but no headphone jack is a deal breaker

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
What is a good phone that will last me 3-4 years. Right now I got the Nexus 5 lol. Was thinking about getting the new pixel but no headphone jack is a deal breaker
3-4 years is a long, long time in phone years. If you want to stick to that... I'd say the S8+/Note 8, V30, or Huawei Mate 10 would be good choices. They'd be insanely obsolete and run like trash, but that's the life of a smartphone these days

People who like to Game?

Remapped my Bixby button to launch camera. Feels much better than double tapping power.

iBeleaf

3-4 years is a long, long time in phone years. If you want to stick to that... I'd say the S8+/Note 8, V30, or Huawei Mate 10 would be good choices. They'd be insanely obsolete and run like trash, but that's the life of a smartphone these days

Yeah thats why I really wanted to stick with pixel since they dont bloat there phones like others do. and Google actually provides software updates for at least 3 years.

iPhone Edition

Note 8

V30

Thanks for the suggestions. What about OnePlus 5? Heard good things about it.

The latest bug to fall on our radar is affecting users on Android Oreo who have noticed that Gmail keeps running in the background, trying to sync, but failing. When they open the app to check their email, the app shows it's syncing but no mails load. The issue seems to only be there if you have an Exchange account added in Gmail. And it looks like it's widespread: there are already two threads on Google's support forums with over a dozen users chiming in.

Android Oreo seems to have broken Exchange sync in Gmail

googy plz

robox

halp!!

my dad has a moto G 2nd gen, android v6, and is running out of space. so i'm trying to delete his old photos. I got to the trash and i hit empty. it deletes 6 photos. try again, nothing happens. photos are supposed to be deleted after 60 days in trash but there are some that are many years old. have to resort to deleting each one individually: 3 presses at a time.

anybody had this problem? know how to fix it?
there's no system update for it either

edit: nope didn't work. trash looked clear but phone still didn't recover the space. reboot phone, all the photos are back!! arrrrrggggg

My wifes phone wont run any apps. If she tries to launch an app she gets the message "unfortunately blank has stopped working". I have cleared the cache, I have restarted her phone, I have run avast and Malware Bytes. We are at our wits end. I ran a RAM cleaner, I moved all the photos off her phone. I have spent the entire night searching for any thing I can to fix it. Her phone is a Droid Maxx 2. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this, and how to fix it? We are considering buying a new phone since we cant figure out how to fix this. I don't want to do a factory reset if there is any other way to fix this problem.

Top Bottom