• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

CronoShot

I see that the "quality" of LG's TV OLED panels is carrying over to their phones.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/lg-v30-hands-on-lgs-oled-displays-still-have-quality-issues/

The camera is pretty bad too.

I don't see any reason why someone would buy an LG V30 other than they literally can't afford the S8/S8+/Note8.

LG should change their tagline from "Life's Good" to "Like Samsung, But Not As Good"
That screen is not a good sign for the Pixel XL 2.

reKon

Banned
I see that the "quality" of LG's TV OLED panels is carrying over to their phones.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/lg-v30-hands-on-lgs-oled-displays-still-have-quality-issues/

I don't see any reason why someone would buy an LG V30 other than they literally can't afford the S8/S8+/Note8.

LG should change their tagline from "Life's Good" to "Like Samsung, But Not As Good"

Forgot to mention the screen in my post. Gonna have to wait for reviews for the final verdict. I'm almost positive the camera will improve for the final software, unless they go completely backwards from the G6. In the MKBHD blind camera test, I actually preferred the Pixel and LG G6 photos to the iPhone and Galaxy S8s. They were all great shooters though.

Other than price, people would choose the V30 over S8 for pefromance reasons (I mean pefromance down the road - the Samsung skin runs a lot of processes), the Video capture features that no other company is doing right now, and high quality DAC, fingerprint seansor placement.

Jeffrey

n1g5zuivcjjz.jpg

It's almost like they rushed this phone to the market.

keuja

Other comparisons says the v30 camera is better.
I don't care about the S-Pen or the elongated form factor of the Note 8. I do care about the wide angle lens and sound quality. So money is not an issue and I'd rather buy a v30 than a note 8 at this point. I'll just wait to see other reviews about the OLED panel issue since that guy is the only one who reported it so far.

vivftp

I ordered my Xperia Z5 from Clove two years ago. They were great to work with, and I got a free Sony Bluetooth speaker with the phone.

They even handled an RMA with Sony for me with little issue when I cracked the screen while drunk one night.

I'm thinking I'll go with Amazon US for an XZ1 though. I'll just flash the firmware. Two years ago it was looking like the US wasn't going to get Z5s at all.

I used Clove to get my XZ Premium a couple months ago here in Canada. Service was quick and I got an extra Bluetooth speaker so I can't complain at all.

Still perplexes me that Sony is taking this long to release this phone in Canada though.

Do y'all think we're gonna see anything new and exciting from Android and iOS in terms of software anytime soon? Most of the features being added to both are mainly just things taken from PCs, custom ROMs, and jailbreaks. This isn't a bad thing, mind you, but I find it all kinda boring. Everything I've seen of iOS 11, Oreo, and the various Android OEM skins & features leave me wanting more.

Maybe Fuchsia (if Google doesn't scrap it) or Andromeda (if Google hasn't already scrapped it) or Android Peppermint or iOS 12 will bring about something crazy. Or maybe they won't, and I just need to get back into the custom ROM scene again.

Jeffrey

Do y'all think we're gonna see anything new and exciting from Android and iOS in terms of software anytime soon? Most of the features being added to both are mainly just things taken from PCs, custom ROMs, and jailbreaks. This isn't a bad thing, mind you, but I find it all kinda boring. Everything I've seen of iOS 11, Oreo, and the various Android OEM skins & features leave me wanting more.

Maybe Fuchsia (if Google doesn't scrap it) or Andromeda (if Google hasn't already scrapped it) or Android Peppermint or iOS 12 will bring about something crazy. Or maybe they won't, and I just need to get back into the custom ROM scene again.

gonna be interesting to see what ios does for the iphone 8 with no more physical home button.

but yeah pretty much the closest to anything 'new' in the os space.

I haven't been excited for OS updates in years, like you said everything major has pretty much been added. The last cool feature I remember being added to either iOS or Android was split screen multitasking, but I honestly never use it (the only time I did was when Samsung already had it on the Note 4 and I only tried it a few times).

The only thing iOS could add that I'd be excited for would be to sign-in to multiple iTunes accounts on one iPhone, like you can on Google Play. Family Sharing is about the closest you can get to that now, but it's not quite there.

The only thing I'd like in Android is stronger voice integration stuff, but that's already gotten better than I realized (I always wanted to be able to do "OK Google play Bombcast on Pocket Cast" and have it work, and it actually does!).

The only other thing would be additional customization options, like what Motorola does with Moto Gestures; twisting the phone to open the camera, shaking to turn on the flashlight, etc, but be able to do that with any phone at the system level.

One thing new that was added to Android 8.0 is the ability to natively select your Bluetooth streaming codec. You can now use SBC, AptX, and AAC.

This is a big deal for devices which don't support AptX and only AAC, such as my Model S. Yes, AptX support is not in the Bluetooth receiver of this rather expensive car. No, I don't know why.

Everything has already pretty much been added to Android. IOS still has an antiquated notification system so that could stand to be improved on their side and really should have been a couple of years ago.

andthebeatgoeson

For Oreo, how do i change to a dark theme? My notification tab and settings page used to have a dark theme. Did they remove it?

I thought it was in developer mode but i can't find it. I'm going to burn my retinas.

For Oreo, how do i change to a dark theme? My notification tab and settings page used to have a dark theme. Did they remove it?

I thought it was in developer mode but i can't find it. I'm going to burn my retinas.

Google removed anything dark from Android and claimed they are trying to MAGA, make Android great again.

In other words, you aren't getting that or blob emojis anymore.

I really want to switch to Android this year.

A couple of these S8/S8+ discounts are looking super tempting but then if I wait another 6 months I can get the S9...

Note8 is too big. My 7+ is really annoying me now.

Hmm

I really want to switch to Android this year.

A couple of these S8/S8+ discounts are looking super tempting but then if I wait another 6 months I can get the S9...

Note8 is too big. My 7+ is really annoying me now.

Hmm

Viva my mate, there is always something around the corner in the world of Android. I got the S8+ and it is a beautiful phone. If you are getting a good deal get it IMO.

Ty4on

One thing new that was added to Android 8.0 is the ability to natively select your Bluetooth streaming codec. You can now use SBC, AptX, and AAC.

This is a big deal for devices which don't support AptX and only AAC, such as my Model S. Yes, AptX support is not in the Bluetooth receiver of this rather expensive car. No, I don't know why.
aptX is a family of proprietary audio codec compression algorithms currently owned by Qualcomm
hmmm

Original Model S had a Tegra chip so that might be why. Not sure what they're rocking now.

womfalcs3

Banned
Got an LG G6 to replace my worn out iPhone 6. It was 25% off here at $400, and I thought it was a good deal for what's available. The LG V30 is preferred for that OLED display goodness, but it's going to be out in a month, and won't be discounted for months. Double the price isn't worth the wait or the upgrades.

My iPhone 6 had a shattered screen and a battery that's no longer operable. It goes from a 50%+ charge to the teens suddenly and randomly, and it's no longer keeping its charge past noon.

Dinjooh

Talked with some retailers and it looks like I'll be able to get my XZ1 Compact on the 14th.

Can't wait to upgrade from the 810 to 835.

Noema

What is the last phone Anandtech reviewed?

Unless I'm missing something, it was the Mate 9 Review back in January

They've done some benchmarks and hands-on mini pieces on other phones like the Galaxy S8 but that seems to have been their last proper review.

It's a shame. They are so far ahead of everyone when it comes to reviews and benchmarks. I guess Youtube reviews have become so popular that ain't nobody have time for a 12 page review.

This post was sponsored by dbrand.

Saiyan-Rox

You could just sell the OnePlus 5. I'm sure someone will buy it. You might take a small loss but it shouldn't be more than $50

Yeah I could do but i;d have to sell it now before the value drops like a stone and then be left with my Nexus 4 for a while.

as much as I love the thing and repairing it I don't think I could live with it.

Yeah I could do but i;d have to sell it now before the value drops like a stone and then be left with my Nexus 4 for a while.

as much as I love the thing and repairing it I don't think I could live with it.

I'm sure you could still sell it for a good amount of money when the pixel XL 2 comes out. Values don't really drop alot on OnePlus phones, although demand isn't that great for the OnePlus 5. OnePlus devices usually see their biggest drop in value when the new OnePlus devices comes out.

Top Bottom