• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
note 8 gets hdr on netflix.

s8 still nope lol.

I've resigned the fact that the S8 gonna get boned on this.

I never watch Netflix on my phone anyways. Just use my tablet.

Much more interested in a good cheaperish HDR tablet in the future.

Jeffrey

aren't there also only some 4k/hdr content on netflix as well. generally just their inhouse stuff. shit is so confusing lol.

Dinjooh

Seeing some negativity in here regarding the Xperias, but I am genuinely curious which alternatives you would present.

As someone who is interested in something the same size as the Compact line (Even smaller would be nice) and wants top of the line specs, what else is out there?

hmmm

Original Model S had a Tegra chip so that might be why. Not sure what they're rocking now.

The Bluetooth module has nothing to do with the Tegra which powers the center console system.

The reason that AptX isn't in is because it's simply not implemented. I don't really know if there's some kind of horrible licensing fee but knowing Qualcomm there probably is. Either way, I'm looking forward to my audio quality upgrade once I get my Note 8 and also when Samsung actually releases Oreo for it.

Vanillalite

With no bezels and home button it's interesting to see all the Apple fans confusion or worry over how the OS will work when Android has had no hardware home button for years on a ton of devices.

The Note has Android 7.1 at launch right? It might be that that's required.

If the S8 doesn't get Netflix HDR with 7.1 it's not coming.

Nah the G6 has HDR and it isn't on 7.1.

Got my S8+, but I'm not going to carry it till I get my case. First impressions are it takes a long time to set it up. Screen is so nice though. It seems unreal. Gonna start really digging into it tonight with themes and stuff.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is there any way to see the battery level on my beats X on android? Using a moto g3 with android 6 at the moment.

Asgaro

I think I'm ready for this as successor to me Sony Xperia Z3C. The feature spec is too insane to ignore.
Tried handling a large phone yesterday (Samsung J5 2017, 5.2") and it's actually more doable than I thought it would be.

(Comparisons can be made at http://mobiledevicesize.com/compare/#467,886;1 )

rfSWrrq.png

Noema

All of the back-end stuff sounds really good, although I'm dubious about how many apps will be updated to "target 8.0."

Eventually most apps will target 8.0.

In 2021 or so.

That xiaomi android one phone is better than 95% of android phones for that price lol.

It certainly is.

Stock android, guaranteed updates (will get Oreo before most $700+ phones) and a SD652. It's almost too perfect.

dcll

Banned
A middle-ish spec camera module is not very expensive tho?

Edit: It's 625 tho :(
Where are the 660 phones...

What is wrong with the 625? Unless you are obsess with useless benchmarks and need the best performance a 625 is more than sufficient in my experience

I'm looking into buying two new LG G5 H830's (unlocked) to replace our slowly dying G2's. They seem like really good phones for a really good price. We're with Cricket. Are there any gotchas I should know about?

Shopping for Android phones is daunting, yo.

I'm looking into buying two new LG G5 H830's (unlocked) to replace our slowly dying G2's. They seem like really good phones for a really good price. We're with Cricket. Are there any gotchas I should know about?

Shopping for Android phones is daunting, yo.

The G5s were meh. Better off getting something more recent in the mid range. Honor 8s are a great choice and perhaps last year's Moto Z Play.

Vanillalite

Don't you need the most expensive Netflix plan to have HDR anyway?

You, but some of us need 4 streams.

aren't there also only some 4k/hdr content on netflix as well. generally just their inhouse stuff. shit is so confusing lol.

Already on the expensive plan cause of my TV. So if I did get HDR it would be a bonus since it's already included. Like I said though I am much more interested in a device akin to the 2017 iPad in price getting HDR as I mainly use a tablet not my phone to watch shit from bed.

Jeffrey

im not gonna bet honor 8 will be getting many future updates either. huawei, and china companies in general give little shit about updates for phones. kinda hard for them to manage anyways when they push out a new phone ever other week.

Saiyan-Rox

When did this fad of all screens having curves at the edges rather than flat start? it's like every phone now is doing it par Sony

Vanillalite

A53 is fine in the G5 Plus.

The problem A53 cores had in older phones were the clock speed. Larger nodes meant shit was clocked at like 1.2ghz.

The whole reason the 625 is any good is it's finally a node shrink down to 14nm so they clocked the cores up to 2ghz. Makes all the functional difference in the world.

This is especially true because lots of stuff still seems to be single threaded and run better on just higher clocks alone.

Asgaro

Why not get the XZ1 compact?

I'm kinda put off by the large bezels, considering I want to do quite a few years with the device and I personally like the minimal bezels trend. (Read: I would see the device as looking kinda dated in the future when minimal bezels becomes more mainstream.)

And I've come to accept I want a screen larger than 4.6". I like to lower my DPI (which means text etc. gets smaller) on my Z3C to show as much content as possible, but I've come to realize I'm actually straining my eyes all the time.
On the V30 I will still definitely lower the DPI a bit, but the result will be that text will be large enough still to not strain my eyes.

Also, hyped about wireless charging! Planning on buying a few charge pads since I leave my smartphone at certain exact locations at home anyway. Plus charging pad phone holder in car since I drive with Waze and Spotify on all the time.

Aside from that, I definitely applaud Sony for going the high spec route again and will keep recommending the device towards people needing a small high spec device.

Top Bottom