• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

LogicStep

Man I can't wait to see more about it!

Looking at those pics, it really resembles the Nexus 6 a lot. The bezels don't look that much smaller lol.

Damon

Pixel 2 uncased.
6iLTeL7.jpg

Another shot. Top and bottom bezels don't really look much bigger than the S8 to me. The sides are iPhone X like, though.

DLJsZPxXkAAVGn1.jpg

Definitely like the bar at the bottom. No more reaching to the top just to search. I do usually use my voice but sometimes I just want to type. However, I'm worried about accidental clicks...that would be annoying

Hmm, but I don't like that iPhone X-esque bezel design. Is it so hard to flush the screen to the sides like Samsung did ??

Jeffrey

Definitely like the bar at the bottom. No more reaching to the top just to search. I do usually use my voice but sometimes I just want to type. However, I'm worried about accidental clicks...that would be annoying

Hmm, but I don't like that iPhone X-esque bezel design. Is it so hard to flush the screen to the sides like Samsung did ??
That stuff is sexy in renders but curves defract light and might have wonky edge detection + impacts durability on drop and compromises cases.

A bit too much trade offs for my liking imo.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Both Pixel 2 and XL 2

DLKExW1XcAE8Z_5.jpg

Because of an alleged delay in the rollout of that silicon, however, both Pixel 2 and 2 XL will instead utilize the same chipset as the LG V30 and all three Samsung flagships this year, the Snapdragon 835.

With a five-inch, 1080p display, Pixel 2 is the smaller of the devices, featuring a screen whose aspect ratio is the formerly standard 16:9. Pixel 2 XL, meanwhile, should have a six-inch, QHD+ display in an 18:9 aspect ratio, making it more competitive with this year's other top-of-range handsets. While this gives XL 2 a reduced bezel profile, it still falls short of being the true edge-to-edge device that some may be hoping for.

Otherwise, the two phones are quite similar, at least on paper: 4GB of RAM, either 64GB or 128GB of storage, and 12-megapixel primary rear cameras, along with front-firing stereo speakers. According to Droid Life, they'll be priced at $649/$749 (Pixel 2) and $849/$949 (Pixel 2 XL), depending on capacity. And according to a person familiar with Google's release plans, they'll see a staggered rollout: October 19 for Pixel 2 and November 15 for Pixel 2 XL, both preceded by preorder periods.

lol @ $949 for 128GB

https://venturebeat.com/2017/10/02/these-are-the-google-pixel-2-and-pixel-2-xl/

ArchAngel

Let's start the yearly shitshow.

Pre show: Fuck Google, ugly, expensive, shitty
After show: OMG, missed the preorder, want one soooo bad :(

See you next year!

My replacement Pixel XL is still not shipped. Maybe they don't have any and send out Pixel 2 in a few weeks :p

Google time is always the best time on the net. For every "leak" on Google: iPhonies hate everything, Samsungies hate Google phones and stock Android, all the other hate the price and say their 150$ phone is as good as this. Good time to read Apple and Samsung fanboards. Love it :D

Let's start the yearly shitshow.

Pre show: Fuck Google, ugly, expensive, shitty
After show: OMG, missed the preorder, want one soooo bad :(

See you next year!

My replacement Pixel XL is still not shipped. Maybe they don't have any and send out Pixel 2 in a few weeks :p

Mine hasn't been shipped out yet either. I'm hoping for a pixel 2 XL miracle

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
On board for a XL2, but wish it came in some different colors

Guess I'll go for the orange panda

AndyD

aka andydumi
I don't get why they didn't just put the search bar above the dock, but still at the bottom like LG and Samsung.

I wonder if any of those bits auto-hide, like search and navigation. So what we see may not be "standard" but showing the otherwise hidden stuff.

clem84

Gold Member
I've had this Galaxy Note 3 since 2013. It has served me well but the battery is dying. I could replace it but I was wondering which recent phone has the best camera because I always thought the camera in that thing was very good.

I would like a phone of roughly the same size. The camera is the most important feature for me. I take all my vacation pictures and videos with it. So what is the current large phone with the best camera? If there's an average sized phone, or even a small one, with an awesome camera that's worth mentionning, please do.

Ridiculous pricing. I'm not against premium pricing at all but I feel like you need to justify it somehow. These are almost iPhone X prices yet lack state of the art face ID cameras, edge to edge OLED design, dual cams (with OIS in both), 3D Touch/taptic/etc..., A11, bigger battery in the same size phone as the 7 basically, etc...

Where is this extra cost coming from exactly. The storage jump? Again I actually like the idea of a premium tier of smartphones but they need to be truly premium. Whether you like what the X offers or not, hard to deny they tried to pack it with a lot of high tech shit to cover the cost as much as possible. Even the Note 8 is more justified in its price than this with the dual cams, S pen functionality, etc... (or is that it?). Either way it has SOMETHING. This is just a bog standard flagship. It's a goddamn LG G6 at some cray price.

With that said, if I still used Android as my primary I'd get a pixel and nothing else :p

Groof

While I agree the prices are ridiculous for what the phones are, calling them almost iPhone X prices is even more ridiculous. You're comparing the highest end to the lowest end, while the lower end pixels are a much lower price? A lot of phones at their highest end are almost iPhone X prices.

It's easy manipulating facts to suit your own argument. It would make more sense to compare it to the iPhone 8 or note8

While I agree the prices are ridiculous for what the phones are, calling them almost iPhone X prices is even more ridiculous. You're comparing the highest end to the lowest end, while the lower end pixels are a much lower price? A lot of phones at their highest end are almost iPhone X prices.

It's easy manipulating facts to suit your own argument. It would make more sense to compare it to the iPhone 8 or note8

I'm comparing flagship vs flagship (or premium tier vs premium tier) and it's very clear that the 2 XL is google's flagship. Just as the X is apple's. Not sure how that's changing anything to suit anything? 2 XL is google's premium android device. So I'm comparing it to Samsung's and apple's premium device.

And if you're referring specifically to storage, to me 64gb vs 128gb is not nearly enough to explain the chasm in features vs price point. Maybe there's more to the device than you can see but I just don't see what it could have to justify pricing anywhere near the same ballpark.

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm comparing flagship vs flagship (or premium tier vs premium tier) and it's very clear that the 2 XL is google's flagship. Just as the X is apple's. Not sure how that's changing anything to suit anything? 2 XL is google's premium android device. So I'm comparing it to Samsung's and apple's premium device.

And if you're referring specifically to storage, to me 64gb vs 128gb is not nearly enough to explain the chasm in features vs price point. Maybe there's more to the device than you can see but I just don't see what it could have to justify pricing anywhere near the same ballpark.

bullshit

Jeffrey

The problem is timing. Mate 10 with fancy sky net powers is probably shipping first. Qualcomm events is probably December.

Rumors are possibly s9 as early as Feb next year. Today there is a rumor of oneplus 6 being early 2018.

Pixel needs to sell me really hard on what it's offering me on software side,especially at that price.

That stuff is sexy in renders but curves defract light and might have wonky edge detection + impacts durability on drop and compromises cases.

A bit too much trade offs for my liking imo.

It's not enough for me to not buy it but it's definitely disappointing and concerning to say the least.

This is equivalent to an iPhone 8 not an iPhone X. Nothing about this phone is a radical departure from the previous gen the way that the iPhone X is compared to their entire iPhone line so no, it is not fair to compare it to that.

I get the argument that the phone price doesn't match the hardware that is being provided but why is this the argument that has to be made for Google? Why should their phones be cheaper just BECAUSE rather than, the phone being the best Android phone in the market that has the overall best camera, features (imo) and reliability than any other phone on the market? Why isn't that worth paying for? You cant tell me that every single iPhone and every single Galaxy was warranted the price they costed but yet there isn't this big stink about there having to be some crazy hardware feature to justify the price. Samsung for a long time didn't even have a ton of hardware features but they were mostly software perks that upped the price like the face scanning, or the picking the phone up to answer a call, or putting it face down to reject a call, etc etc etc.

Like it's an opinion that obviously I don't really argue with too much because everyone has their own value proposition, but I don't understand why Google absolutely needs to be cheap to be in the conversation when what they offer with less, still ends up being on par with the competition. Like outside of the water resistance, was there something major the Pixel did not have that made it a lessor phone to have compared to the S7 and whatever other Android phone was out there? (Unless you value having no SD card expansion an actual real issue)

It's not enough for me to not buy it but it's definitely disappointing and concerning to say the least.

This is equivalent to an iPhone 8 not an iPhone X. Nothing about this phone is a radical departure from the previous gen the way that the iPhone X is compared to their entire iPhone line so no, it is not fair to compare it to that.

I get the argument that the phone price doesn't match the hardware that is being provided but why is this the argument that has to be made for Google? Why should their phones be cheaper just BECAUSE rather than, the phone being the best Android phone in the market that has the overall best camera, features (imo) and reliability than any other phone on the market? Why isn't that worth paying for? You cant tell me that every single iPhone and every single Galaxy was warranted the price they costed but yet there isn't this big stink about there having to be some crazy hardware feature to justify the price. Samsung for a long time didn't even have a ton of hardware features but they were mostly software perks that upped the price like the face scanning, or the picking the phone up to answer a call, or putting it face down to reject a call, etc etc etc.

Like it's an opinion that obviously I don't really argue with too much because everyone has their own value proposition, but I don't understand why Google absolutely needs to be cheap to be in the conversation when what they offer with less, still ends up being on par with the competition. Like outside of the water resistance, was there something major the Pixel did not have that made it a lessor phone to have compared to the S7 and whatever other Android phone was out there? (Unless you value having no SD card expansion an actual real issue)

Don't get me wrong, google can do whatever the fuck they want but the original pixel was an absolute bomb when you look at sales numbers. I actually want this phone to be successful, which is where my opinion is coming from. I really do. I wish the pixel dominated the android market because I do think it's the best android experience out there (and most consistent). But I just don't agree with their strategy. they're playing in a sandbox that they don't seem ready to play in.

I guess we'll see next year as the 2018 Pixel will be their first completely in-house one given their recent acquisition. It's just a shame is all. I don't think they need to be in the low end, I just wish they came better prepared to play in the high end. And unless they're hiding some magic shit in the software....it will be a tough sell to get people off of Apple/Samsung.

Groof

No I'm talking about how comparing the price points is stupid. The iPhone X starts at $999. The 2 XL ends at $9whatever. Therefore saying the pixel is near iPhone X pricing is not a valid point to make when it clearly starts off at a cheaper price.

And since you will probably make this into me defending the price, no I'm not. I don't like the price, I'm just pointing out the flaws of your argument.

Don't get me wrong, google can do whatever the fuck they want but the original pixel was an absolute bomb when you look at sales numbers. I actually want this phone to be successful, which is where my opinion is coming from. I really do. I wish the pixel dominated the android market because I do think it's the best android experience out there (and most consistent). But I just don't agree with their strategy. they're playing in a sandbox that they don't seem ready to play in.

I guess we'll see next year as the 2018 Pixel will be their first completely in-house one given their recent acquisition. It's just a shame is all. I don't think they need to be in the low end, I just wish they came better prepared to play in the high end. And unless they're hiding some magic shit in the software....it will be a tough sell to get people off of Apple/Samsung.

Well yeah, that's kind of what happens when you underestimate demand and lock it to one carrier. I want the pixel to be successful but I despise that Google has it only on Verizon and despite all that marketing, did nothing to get it on other networks. Imo, I think that's what killed it rather than it being expensive and missing one feature that really didn't seem to bother anyone after they got it.

I agree with your second part. it will be tough to get people off of Samsung and they had an opportunity to do so when Samsung had their blow up incident, but Samsung came back with a compelling design that kind of snatched back heads and it was kind of like nothing happened. They shifted people to more apples than Pixels, but again, that would have been perfect if Google did more spreading around the phone. Nonetheless, we'll see with 2018. I really doubt in the hardware department we will see something radical...... actually hmm, maybe we'll see Google's first homemade chip and a better screen to body design, but I think software is where the phone will shine like always. I really wonder what they will do for the pixel this time but I have bets that the camera will pretty much kill everything.

oh, and the blue color looks like throwup

at least last year the blue was decent
the power buttons are colourful though...much premiums.

No I'm talking about how comparing the price points is stupid. The iPhone X starts at $999. The 2 XL ends at $9whatever. Therefore saying the pixel is near iPhone X pricing is not a valid point to make when it clearly starts off at a cheaper price.

And since you will probably make this into me defending the price, no I'm not. I don't like the price, I'm just pointing out the flaws of your argument.
I don't know, the way I look at it is when you're spending 900+ on a phone, anywhere around that is fair game. Whether it's close to 900 or closer to 999. Nickel and dimes at that point.

If you're at a store and you can pay a bit more and get an X, most people will take the X. Or when they can get a similar phone for less like the G6/S8/Note 8/etc... (depending on which tier), then again they'll just take the cheaper one.

Maybe google's marketing will be mind-blowing.

btw: regarding stock for pixel 2. I "heard" that google is already giving warnings that the 2 XL will be in limited quantities....again.

The further launch date further proves that but yeah.

Personally I like the look of the Pixel XL 2 as far as the front goes, but prefer the iPhone X for the rest of its design (Sides/Back). The notch on the iPhone X looks truly hideous to me. It is really unattractive visually and a mess as far as functionality goes. The Pixel XL 2 has larger bezels, but I'd prefer that route if it means not having an unsightly notch. Although ideally for me they'd be smaller and sacrifice the front-facing speakers because I see no need for them.

Pricing wise I think it is too expensive. In all honesty I feel like Apple can justify their premium pricing by having some of the best customer service in the industry and having hundreds of stores across the world. It just isn't the same story for manufacturers like Samsung, LG, or Google who consistently have issues with the quality of their customer service. This is on top of the fact that Apple are supporting phones like the iPhone 5S going on four years of support whereas Google seems dedicated to only two years of software sport and three of security support. Finally I just do not think Google is at a level where they can charge that much for a phone versus Apple and Samsung. I mean, the Pixel already sold pretty badly last year and I don't know how a higher price is going to win anybody over just getting the S8/S8+ or Note 8 which will no doubt have fantastic deals available by the time the Pixel is available. This is like the Android conundrum of convincing somebody to buy your phone over what Samsung is offering at the same price. The fact is nobody's been able to do that for years.

The flagship Androids this year are crazy expensive and the only apparent reason is this new design trend I don't even care about.

I'm fine with a regular phone that has bezels. I don't need to pay $1000 to eliminate bezels. And I don't want no fucking curved screens, that shit was obnoxious on TVs.

So I bought a $230 Moto G5S Plus. My first time feeding below the top shelf pretty much ever. Let's see what the cheap Androids are like these days.

Strangely enough, this means for some reason I've come back to Motorola. My very first Android was a Motorola Droid X many years ago now. A lot has happened since then, now they are Lenovo and just make phones as Google holds all of the old patents they had.

Quixzlizx

My first smartphone was a Nexus 4, and I wanted to upgrade to a 5x, but didn't with the middling reviews. I eventually bought a cheap Chinese phone to replace the dying N4 and was holding out for the OP5, because I wanted stock(ish) Android without a janky skin, and even trying to buy a Pixel seemed like a clusterfuck. But then the OP5 ended up being close to a reskinned OP3T for $500, so I held off on that.

And I was able to grab an unlocked S8+ for $525 during Samsung's trade-in deal in late June. So I basically got a gorgeous, feature-rich flagship for the price of a good mid-tier phone. And by this point, they've cleaned up Touchwiz to the point where I don't really feel any jank when I use the Material Theme + Nova launcher.

I don't see myself buying a Pixel while they barely produce any and it never goes on sale, when I know that the top of the line Samsung will always drop to a bargain price within a few months. Maybe I'll get hit with the one-year Touchwiz curse next June and swear off of them?

Seriously, when Google can barely produce any phones, it makes it feel like their phone division produces just another half-assed product like Allo.

Jeffrey

Yeah GSMarena regurgitate every rumor. Regardless nothing to add for a 5t. No new processor. Oppo doesn't have a 1440p screen so no to that.

Top Bottom