• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

Honestly, a $1500 phone would be ridiculous. I simply cannot imagine paying more for an iPhone than you would for a MacBook or any other high quality laptop. Prices already feel kind of high this year with Samsung and others jumping into the base $700+ game even if those phones tend to drop in value fast. I can't help but wonder what a super expensive phone like that would do to Apple's upgrade audience. I feel like people wouldn't want to get the 7S/7S+ because they'd want the very best even if they can't afford it, which may cause people to get iPad syndrome and just decide that their current phone is good enough for now.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Really? Thought HTC generally has max background processes set pretty high.
Something's changed. Seems like they've switched it for better battery life

E: $1500 is like 5 months car payment if you own a Corolla. That is indeed commitment money lol

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Honestly, a $1500 phone would be ridiculous. I simply cannot imagine paying more for an iPhone than you would for a MacBook or any other high quality laptop. Prices already feel kind of high this year with Samsung and others jumping into the base $700+ game even if those phones tend to drop in value fast. I can't help but wonder what a super expensive phone like that would do to Apple's upgrade audience. I feel like people wouldn't want to get the 7S/7S+ because they'd want the very best even if they can't afford it, which may cause people to get iPad syndrome and just decide that their current phone is good enough for now.

I hate this comparison if only because arguably in today's age I think the smart phone is a more valuable product than a latop for the majority of people outside of work.

Got my HTC U11 in. Great screen and the speed is fast. No jello effect:) This is the slipperiest phone I've ever held though. I put it down on my desk and it started sliding by itself. Red is a little garish. Uninstallable bloatware like Facebook and Instagram straight from the factory. Luckily there is root and bootloader unlock. Also I've been reading since my purchase that HTC is shitty with their updates. Camera is a beast. Photos look great on rear camera. Front facing camera isn't bad either, but not great in low light. I like the feel of the OnePlus 5 better in the hand and I like the software experience OnePlus offers, but they had to fuck around and put a 1080P pentile amoled. Will try it out a few more days and see how the day to day experience is with it.

I hate this comparison if only because arguably in today's age I think the smart phone is a more valuable product than a latop for the majority of people outside of work.
I guess when you look at is as a "Well you will literally be using that smartphone every single day for the next X amount of months/years" it is easier to justify the cost in comparison to other purchases. Especially when I no doubt imagine the majority of smartphone users are spending more time on their phones than any other electronic device they own. That being said, it doesn't change the thought behind it for me. I guess for me it is the question as to what that $1500 purchase would offer you that a $650 or less phone is going to have going for it. IE Me thinking "Well I could spend $1500 for the iPhone 8.....or I could get the iPhone 7S for $650 and pocket that $850 cash.

Jeffrey

Yep. $1500 needs to be offering me something special. Infinity display amoled is like $450 phone now. You need more than that.

In the end it's all about the user experience so unless iphone 8 has a completely different version of ios than the others... I'll probably pick up an essential phone if that isn't cancelled.

Actually this fall seems to have Huawei and Sony both releasing full screen display phones. Hmmm.

I'm an android user not because of choice, but because of budget. In an ideal world, I would be using a Windows 10, with all the apps and plenty of hardware to chose from. In a semi-ideal world, I'd be rich and would be able to afford the latest iPhone every year. In the real world, I have to shop around eBay every time my android phone breaks, looking for another android bargain.

Android may have impressive spec sheets and the ability to customize, but sometimes I just wish I had a good version of Snapchat, better programmed apps or some of those iOS-only apps that won't ever come to Android.

Also, I doubt the $1500 price point is real. That's madness.

But really, Windows 10 :(
Got my HTC U11 in. Great screen and the speed is fast. No jello effect:) This is the slipperiest phone I've ever held though. I put it down on my desk and it started sliding by itself. Red is a little garish. Uninstallable bloatware like Facebook and Instagram straight from the factory. Luckily there is root and bootloader unlock. Also I've been reading since my purchase that HTC is shitty with their updates. Camera is a beast. Photos look great on rear camera. Front facing camera isn't bad either, but not great in low light. I like the feel of the OnePlus 5 better in the hand and I like the software experience OnePlus offers, but they had to fuck around and put a 1080P pentile amoled. Will try it out a few more days and see how the day to day experience is with it.

Whew. We're at a point where over 400ppi isn't good enough.

I'm an android user not because of choice, but because of budget. In an ideal world, I would be using a Windows 10, with all the apps and plenty of hardware to chose from. In a semi-ideal world, I'd be rich and would be able to afford the latest iPhone every year. In the real world, I have to shop around eBay every time my android phone breaks, looking for another android bargain.

Android may have impressive spec sheets and the ability to customize, but sometimes I just wish I had a good version of Snapchat, better programmed apps or some of those iOS-only apps that won't ever come to Android.

Also, I doubt the $1500 price point is real. That's madness.

But really, Windows 10 :(

Whew. We're at a point where over 400ppi isn't good enough.
You are not getting true 1080p with pentile. I'd be happy with a 1080p lcd, but not pentile amoled.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
After 3 days and 4ish hours of running I'm trying to "kill" my new Moto Z Play with Youtube on full brightness just to see how long a full charge takes. It still takes forever to drain lol.

This phone's gud.

Quixzlizx

Is there a Youtube video that teaches me not to a Luddite anymore?

As soon as I get home from work, I pretty much ignore my phone except for texts and gacha games and park myself on my laptop for the rest of the night, because laptops are so much better than phones.

I must be missing something.

Furyous

I've spent ballpark $1500 on smartphones as have a lot of people in this thread. Matter of fact... *does the math*

I have indeed exceeded $1500 on smartphones. If you buy a new smartphone every six months then you've spent over $1500. It's people that buy new devices every year so I don't get the hate.

The specs you get may be inferior in some aspects but make up for themselves in comparison to your entry level Android device years later. Samsung could get away with this if they were smart.

S8 + VIVE + GearVR packaged together at say $1800 could work
G6+ + V30 deal at say $1300 could work.

Laekon

This is mainly a hardware thread but since the S8 has better battery life then my N5X can anyone recommend some good on the go games? How are the Lara Croft and Deus Ex Go games?

Jeffrey

Is there a Youtube video that teaches me not to a Luddite anymore?

As soon as I get home from work, I pretty much ignore my phone except for texts and gacha games and park myself on my laptop for the rest of the night, because laptops are so much better than phones.

I must be missing something.

Yeah I'm generally on laptop at home. Phone is still nice on toilet and bed though.

This is mainly a hardware thread but since the S8 has better battery life then my N5X can anyone recommend some good on the go games? How are the Lara Croft and Deus Ex Go games?

Yeah those are good. Heck they are still free if you install the Amazon underground app.

I've spent ballpark $1500 on smartphones as have a lot of people in this thread. Matter of fact... *does the math*

I have indeed exceeded $1500 on smartphones. If you buy a new smartphone every six months then you've spent over $1500. It's people that buy new devices every year so I don't get the hate.

The specs you get may be inferior in some aspects but make up for themselves in comparison to your entry level Android device years later. Samsung could get away with this if they were smart.

S8 + VIVE + GearVR packaged together at say $1800 could work
G6+ + V30 deal at say $1300 could work.

I change phones pretty often. But I try to sell my old phones for near what I bought it for so it's not a large expense.

Blackhead

Redarse
As someone that switches smartphones every month or 2, I wouldn't mind paying 1k+, but the phone really needs to be some next gen future phone. And everything shown about iPhone 8 doesn't seem too different from s8 or essential.

Main issue for me though is ios. As a power user, it's just easier to do what I want to do quickly on Android over ios, doesn't seem like ios 11 fixes that.
Yeah, features and software especially are most important to me. I spent $1,000 on the first Galaxy Note** via an Asian importer (and it wasn't even for bragging rights—I was so embarrassed to have spent that much I told people I 'only' spent $700). We still haven't seen the special features Apple will reserve for this full screen iPhone. There's strong rumors of a function area. Which features will Apple copy from Samsung that we used to call 'gimmicky' but will not be finally 'done right'? I'm hoping the iPhone S8 can do eyetracking like the Samsung S6. Imagine scrolling with just your eyes...

anyway a problem has been that many of the iPhone 6+/6s+/7+ features are just not supported by third party developers. Even Apple still doesn't support the iPhone+ landscape mode in all their iOS apps! None of the recent iPhones have even tempted me to pay $750

original galaxy note was running gingerbread so I didn't keep it for long

Ty4on

If I was apple I would bring back the headphone jack, but only in the €1500 model.

I think that would be a stupid move for them. They tried to send the message they're removing it to fit other stuff inside the phone. If they bring it back on the top model it'll look like they only removed it because of cost.

They obviously didn't do it because of cost. That dongle probably costs more than a built in jack :p

Jeffrey

id pay $1500 for some gamechanging breakthrough in like say, battery and drop tech.

Give me some drop proof and scratch proof screen + frame on a not slippery phone, and a week long battery life of power usage.

id pay $1500 for some gamechanging breakthrough in like say, battery and drop tech.

Give me some drop proof and scratch proof screen + frame on a not slippery phone, and a week long battery life of power usage.

I think the Moto Z force was close to that. Atleast it was a shatterproof and crack proof screen and it had a nice sized battery. I'd prefer a 4,000 mah+ battery though. Also Samsung is working on new battery tech that should be ready in a couple of years for phones.

reKon

Banned
Chromecast Audio is a brilliant device.

How the hell isn't Sonos dead yet, lol? I don't think people understand the purpose of this device. I myself didn't for a while, but it was solution I was looking for.

This and Chromecast are on sale for $25 btw.

I'd pay $1500 for a phone that could justify it, but I can't see an iOS phone doing that for me.

I'm not sure what a phone would need to get me to pay that much.

FULL two-day battery life, flawless performance,waterproof, SD card expansion (or 256-512gb built in storage), best ever camera, best ever display...

And even then I think I'd need something really cool extra, like a full Windows 10 OS partition so I can dock it and use it as a full computer, and I'd need all the best hardware features that Samsung includes, like a stylus and Samsung Pay.

Hasney

Speaking of expensive phones, anyone getting the $2,500 Nokia 3310 to commemorate the meeting of Trump and Putin?

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...iar-custom-nokia-phone-russia-putin-trump-g20

NOKIA_Putin_Trump__catalog_Damascus_pyhe_0c.0.jpg

...Anyone?

LeleSocho

Banned
Speaking of Nokia...
Would anyone here buy a flagship Nokia phone over the usual suspects? Would you trust Nokia (or whatever the name of their parent company is) to make a phone that is good for you?

Ty4on

I just want software and hardware that works and is fast.

I don't want a bunch of predictive commands messing my workflow. Just do what I ask it to and do it well.
It's not rocket science, my PC does a fine job with ancient specs.

Volotaire

Speaking of Nokia...
Would anyone here buy a flagship Nokia phone over the usual suspects? Would you trust Nokia (or whatever the name of their parent company is) to make a phone that is good for you?

If it can match the features, hardware and software quality of the other flagships, or get near to it with a sub £400-500 price, yeh.

So in reality, no.

If it can match the features, hardware and software quality of the other flagships, or get near to it with a sub £400-500 price, yeh.

So in reality, no.

Pretty much. I refuse to spend a lot on phones, at least for the time being. So, unless they build a good phone for under $500, I won't buy Nokia.

oo7

Can anyone tell me why I can't seem to find a legit Galaxy S7 replacement battery? Mine is fucked and os actually making the back seperate from my phone.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Can anyone tell me why I can't seem to find a legit Galaxy S7 replacement battery? Mine is fucked and os actually making the back seperate from my phone.
S7 batteries are internal only, so finding a replacement would be more difficult

...and if your battery is bulging outward, you need to replace it asap

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Floss got that OP5 Real Review out to the public.

Dude is a godsend for non bullshit reviews even if he goes a little too long sometimes.

Jeffrey

Flossy always keep it real. Reviews are long but that gives time to rant and praise features.

And dude is a business man, I trust his bullshit meter over your internet blogger.

NH Apache

Banned
With the recent note 8 leaks, do we have an idea of mah of the battery? It'll be my next upgrade and I need, need something better than the bloodsucker that is the s7 battery.

I saw on the fan edition, they dropped down, for understandable reasons. Possible for greater than a 4k mah battery in note 8?

With the recent note 8 leaks, do we have an idea of mah of the battery? It'll be my next upgrade and I need, need something better than the bloodsucker that is the s7 battery.

I saw on the fan edition, they dropped down, for understandable reasons. Possible for greater than a 4k mah battery in note 8?

They will be very conservative with note 8 battery. I'm sure no more than 3500 mAh.

Noema

I thought I might get a One Plus 5 this year but the 1080p pentile is disappointing.

I guess I'm keeping my Nexus 6 until it falls apart.

Have you played the Kingdom Rush games? First one is free and the other two are pretty cheap at this point.

They are great, very polished Tower Defense games with a Blizzard-esque flair to them.

And the Go games are great.

Top Bottom