• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

jwk94

Man, the Moto G5+ is such a great phone. Thing is blazing fast and has a great battery. I miss the aesthetics of my Moto X Pure Edition though.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
If any of you are bored and want to join our tech discord chat hit me up with a PM. We got other chats for movies and games and shit too.

Laekon

Have you played the Kingdom Rush games? First one is free and the other two are pretty cheap at this point.

They are great, very polished Tower Defense games with a Blizzard-esque flair to them.

And the Go games are great.

Sounds familiar. Not sure if I played the original back when I had an iPhone or not. Are any of the newer versions considered to be better?

I've liked Deus Ex Go so far but they don't introduce you to abilities in any way at all. They stealth item gains a remote hacking ability without any notification beyond the fact that it's the only way to beat the level.

With the recent note 8 leaks, do we have an idea of mah of the battery? It'll be my next upgrade and I need, need something better than the bloodsucker that is the s7 battery.

I saw on the fan edition, they dropped down, for understandable reasons. Possible for greater than a 4k mah battery in note 8?

it will be less than the S7 Edge.

stylus tube takes up space.

Soodanim

I think I'm done waiting for the G5S Plus, as Carphone Warehouse has the SIM-free G5 Plus for £200, and I think that's probably going to be too good to pass up. I'll probably pop in and pick one up tomorrow, so GAF you have until about 11am tomorrow morning to tell me no!

I doubt I'm going to go crazy and get a Pixel (also on sale), although it's tempting.

Noema

Sounds familiar. Not sure if I played the original back when I had an iPhone or not. Are any of the newer versions considered to be better?

The second one (Frontiers) is the best IMO, but they're all great. They've added so much extra content to all three games at this point you can basically put hundreds of hours into them. Great value for the buck and they all play great.

IronRaven

Android is still a 2nd class citizen to several devs.

I know Snapchat is one of the big offenders. Their CEO states that it's because Android phones are "hard to develop for", which kind of makes sense considering the variety of Android phones, but doesn't excuse the fact that this hasn't stopped other devs from making great apps.

Snapchat, as a company, is full of Apple fanboys and basically looks down on Android as a system for "poor people". I know that iOS users tend to spend more than Android users per app, but surely, the number of Android phones across the world could make up for that. You'd basically be ignoring more than half the world market with that attitude. It already made many investors in Snapchat worried since the install base on iOS is kind of plateauing and their Android app has been left in the dump. If they want to keep growing and making money, they can no longer ignore Android in the long term.

That was a lot more than I had anticipated. Sorry for that rant.

Quasar

Honestly, a $1500 phone would be ridiculous. I simply cannot imagine paying more for an iPhone than you would for a MacBook or any other high quality laptop. Prices already feel kind of high this year with Samsung and others jumping into the base $700+ game even if those phones tend to drop in value fast. I can't help but wonder what a super expensive phone like that would do to Apple's upgrade audience. I feel like people wouldn't want to get the 7S/7S+ because they'd want the very best even if they can't afford it, which may cause people to get iPad syndrome and just decide that their current phone is good enough for now.

Certainly I'm not the target for this if true, but then existing flagships are more than I'm willing to spend 400$ or so is my max. Part of that is my disposable income part of it simply is the longevity of phones.

It reminds me of the whole Edition version of the Apple Watch. Crazy amounts of money for a device that has a short lifespan if you want to be current, especially when the feature set was the same as other models.

Which is interesting in that with this crazy talk of even more expensive iPhones, I'm the most interested I have been in iPhones because of their health focus that Google seems to be not interested in. So I hope to God if they are going more expensive its with a dopey Edition or Pro model and that there's a model that's even possible for me to afford.

Jeffrey

Picked up the otterbox case for op5 because it's pretty much the only decent one our there. Damn it's thic.

Never used a heavy duty case in my life lol. This make the phone has wide as like an iPhone plus!

DagsJT

I think I'm done waiting for the G5S Plus, as Carphone Warehouse has the SIM-free G5 Plus for £200, and I think that's probably going to be too good to pass up. I'll probably pop in and pick one up tomorrow, so GAF you have until about 11am tomorrow morning to tell me no!

I doubt I'm going to go crazy and get a Pixel (also on sale), although it's tempting.

Pixel is £469 on sale? Inthohhtnit might have been lower by now.

NeOak

Picked up the otterbox case for op5 because it's pretty much the only decent one our there. Damn it's thic.

Never used a heavy duty case in my life lol. This make the phone has wide as like an iPhone plus!

They aren't meant to be slim cases.

ArchAngel

8BGhaDx.jpg

zu53Y50.jpg

Source: https://twitter.com/Slashleaks/status/884642577919737856

Headphone jack confirmed?
I don't care :p Dual speakers is what I want

Jeffrey

Probably gonna order one regardless because of supply problems lol.

Pixel 1 were selling over MSRP used for months.

The Honda Civic type r us of phones.

ArchAngel

Don't focus on the cardboard print, cheap China cases of often just print on it whatever they find on Google (a Pixel case with a stretched concept was my first one. It's about the case and cutouts

IronRaven

I finally caved in and got a pair of bluetooth earbuds. The ones I'd been looking at dropped down enough in price to justify me buying one. It also helps I got a $50 Amazon gift card from work. :p

zchen

Still not on Emui 5.1.

Samsung tier memory management.

Otherwise a great phone for the price. 960 still competitive against 835, huge battery. Stereo speakers. Good camera.

Picked it up since I also had $125 Amazon gift card and really need a new phone to replace Xperia Z Ultra.

Noema

I know Snapchat is one of the big offenders. Their CEO states that it's because Android phones are "hard to develop for", which kind of makes sense considering the variety of Android phones, but doesn't excuse the fact that this hasn't stopped other devs from making great apps.

Snapchat, as a company, is full of Apple fanboys and basically looks down on Android as a system for "poor people". I know that iOS users tend to spend more than Android users per app, but surely, the number of Android phones across the world could make up for that. You'd basically be ignoring more than half the world market with that attitude. It already made many investors in Snapchat worried since the install base on iOS is kind of plateauing and their Android app has been left in the dump. If they want to keep growing and making money, they can no longer ignore Android in the long term.

That was a lot more than I had anticipated. Sorry for that rant.

It's so sad picking up a friend's iOS device and finding out an app you regularly use on Android is leaps and bounds better on iOS, sometimes with completely different UIs. There's a couple of Apps I use which are basically abandonware on Android at this point but are still getting regular updates on iOS (Fitocracy springs to mind).

Isn't HTC skin pretty light these days?

Even the unlocked u11 comes with a pretty big amount of bloat ware, which can be mostly fixed by installing a custom rom, but there are still elements of the ui there. Not a big deal, but I'm pretty disappointed in the loudness of the phone when playing back media and taking calls. It doesn't get loud enough for me and the stereo speakers don't sound as good as what I thought they would. Lack of software updates is another concern as I'm pretty much dependant on HTC since no one is doing lineage os for it. Pluses are that build quality feels really great, camera is awesome, battery life is good, and it's rootable.

Jeffrey

Man... Xperia XZ premium is like $650 new on eBay. Anyone here with one?

Think I'll get one on Amazon to try for a few days.

Man... Xperia XZ premium is like $650 new on eBay. Anyone here with one?

Think I'll get one on Amazon to try for a few days.

Someone here said they bought one a week or two ago. Make sure you unlock 4k all the time on the phone. Those corners are too sharp for me.

Honestly, I do hope the Pixel 2 XL looks like that. Sharp as hell and the bezels are very nice. If it does come with stereo front speakers, water proofing and a headphone jack, goddamn that would be sweet.

Top Bottom