• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

Honestly, the 16bit gen was the only gen where you couldn't pick one single console and say "winner" If someone was to tell you you could only have one console per gen, you'd probably go:

NES
Playstation
Playstation 2
Xbox 360

You'd miss out on a few games by just picking the above, but for the most part you'd be set. They were clear 'winners' of their time when it comes to traditional gaming.

But Mega Drive and SNES? They both had different strengths and very different libraries.

The Mega Drive was like an arcade machine in your home. That extra processing strength did help in this regard, allowing more shit to be thrown at the screen and everything to move at a faster pace. In the right hands, the sound chip could produce great tunes, as well, at a much higher fidelity than the SNES. You could count the amount of 'right hands' on one hand, though...

The SNES with its gorgeous colours and "better 99% of the time" sound chip though... RPGs, slower paced platformers and adventure games dripping in atmosphere (mmm Super Metroid) ruled the roost. The Mode 7 stuff was also great at the time, but in retrospect I really don't think many of those titles like Starfox or Super Mario Kart actually hold up.

But seriously, my point is - how could anyone pick? You can't! Don't even try.

Sonic > Mario, though. Mario games are just "hold right to win". True facts. (I love me some Super Mario World)

360? Nah. This generation, all you needed was a Wii and a PC.

For me, it was these that defined the systems. (In my initial experiences)

Using only first party titles.

SNES

Zelda: A Link To The Past
Super Mario World
Mega Man X
TMNT Turtles in Time

Genesis

Chakan: The Forever Man
Sonic & Knuckles
Sonic 2
Mazin Saga Mutant Fighter
Columns
Mercs
Sub-Terrania

Much later on

SNES

Star Fox
Super Castlevania IV
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Mario RPG
Mega Man 7
Kirby's Dream Course

SEGA

Sonic
Sonic 3
Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion
Gunstar Heroes
Castlevania Bloodlines

I do list more Genesis games, but a lot of these games I would certainly put under the Nintendo ones. The only ones I feel on par with Mario and Zelda are the Sonic games.

I have never played the following

Super Metroid
Pulseman
Final Fantasy (any of them on the SNES)
Phantasy Star (any of them except II which I played briefly)
Chrono Trigger
Beyond Oasis
Shinobi
Shining Force (any of them)

It's odd for me to pick one.

WHAT WHAT WHAT! @ the bold. Seriously, dude... DUDE! Get on that shit! NOW!

Hey, young James would have fit right in here on GAF!

But I kid. Loved the video, can't wait for part 2.

For the record, I consider both consoles equals. Both have their strengths and weaknesses, but most importantly they both have enormous libraries filled with awesome games. And that's the only thing that really matters.

GCX

One of my favorites videos from James.

His Sega commercial is amazing and the 11 year old Nintendo defense force is hilarious.

Yeah, why would older folks start calling him Eggman? The last Sonic-related anything I gave a poop about was in 1999. I'm going to call him by how I remember him.

It's like, what if they decided to rename Yogi Bear "Norton Bear"? You wouldn't expect geezers to start calling him Norton, would you?

Downhome

I loved the new video. It reminded me a bit of this video where a guy "interviewed" his former self...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFGAQrEUaeU

While I want more Nerd videos more often again, I would love to see a lot more stuff like this too.

On a side note, I'm shocked no one has put together an "Angry Nerds" parody game where you shoot the Nerd through the air as he destroys bad games from the past.

Hah, loved that video - He was such a damn fanboy.

"Reasons why Nintendo was better than Sega:

Tiger Handheld version of Simon's Quest
Posters
Guidebooks
Characters
Controller Stickers
Power Gun
Power Pad

...BOOM!"

Natetan

man those controller stickers were so awesome. I had those.

oldschool.png

i love his videos because he is a nintendo fan boy, like i was.

i had a genesis, it was a good step system in between nes and snes.

D.Lo

Honestly, the 16bit gen was the only gen where you couldn't pick one single console and say "winner" If someone was to tell you you could only have one console per gen, you'd probably go:

NES
Playstation
Playstation 2
Xbox 360

You'd miss out on a few games by just picking the above, but for the most part you'd be set. They were clear 'winners' of their time when it comes to traditional gaming.

But Mega Drive and SNES? They both had different strengths and very different libraries.

The Mega Drive was like an arcade machine in your home. That extra processing strength did help in this regard, allowing more shit to be thrown at the screen and everything to move at a faster pace. In the right hands, the sound chip could produce great tunes, as well, at a much higher fidelity than the SNES. You could count the amount of 'right hands' on one hand, though...

The SNES with its gorgeous colours and "better 99% of the time" sound chip though... RPGs, slower paced platformers and adventure games dripping in atmosphere (mmm Super Metroid) ruled the roost. The Mode 7 stuff was also great at the time, but in retrospect I really don't think many of those titles like Starfox or Super Mario Kart actually hold up.
My lord, so wrong. For one thing, of your listed 'winners' you'd miss out on many of the most important games of all time, particularly on N64. PS2 is the only generation where one console really dominated. EDIT: NES as well.

Really, the Mega Drive/Genesis was basically the N64 of the generation. Some key important games, but only successful in America, and only had a short time in the spotlight. N64 and Mega Drive (plus the PS360 combo) are the most successful/important '2nd place' systems I guess.

Harlock

Sega of America marketing was fuckin smart in the 90s.

I had a Mega Drive. But the two system were great, with very different games each one.

Ocaso

Jeez, does James not throw anything away?! I have to admit I'm a little envious that he kept all his ancient gaming swag while I had to toss or give away much of mine. Managed to turn it into a living as well. Great video.

Downhome

While I have owned every major console, including SNES, Genesis, and all of the crazy Sega attempts at consoles back then, I am now and forever will be a Nintendo fanboy, through their ups and downs. It is still hard to flat out say which was better. I have great memories of both, but it really comes down to pretty much what it comes down to today. Back then, I would mainly play all of the Nintendo first party and exclusive games on SNES and then I would play most of the games that were released to both systems on the Genesis. This wasn't the case every time (Saturday Night Slam Masters I had for the SNES, holy crap that was a great game back then!!!), but usually that is how it went. Like the Disney games, I had them all for the Genesis, the WWE games I had for the Genesis, sports games, etc...

That's pretty much how it is today, I have Nintendo for the great first party games and the other random exclusives, and the other systems for most everything else.

In the end, which did I have the most fun with? Well, when it comes down to it, more than likely Nintendo. Those first party games, mmmmmmm, so great.

Davey Cakes

I haven't watched the video yet. For now, I will say that the Genesis provided a lot of great experiences for me when I was a kid. It was a counterpart console to the NES (since we didn't get the SNES until later) and filled that 16-bit void well. Some of my fondest memories come from games like the Sonic 1-3 and Knuckles, Landstalker, Pac-Mania, Two Crude Dudes (which I loved playing with my brother), Streets of Rage 1-3, and others. The collection of games that my brother and I had on the NES always eclipsed the one we had on the Genesis, though.

Once we were able to afford a SNES and games (which we got from a guy in the Want-Ads) we were basically able to enjoy the likes of Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Earthbound, Star Fox, Donkey Kong Country 1-3, Super Castlevania IV, and the Square RPGs within a 1-2 year span. It was pretty mindblowing.

In my opinion, SNES wins but Genesis experiences were different and compelling enough to make the system a good supplement to Nintendo's offerings.

Fox Mulder

i kid I kid. Was just an easy shot that had to be posted in any Nintendont discussion.

I think the Rock n Roll Racing soundtrack on genesis is a better example of how shitty the genesis sound chip was. That's some god awful music for a game where much of the appeal lies in the badass licensed music. The announcer talking even cuts off the music while it doesn't do that on the SNES.

That's not a Genesis game - that's a 32X game! :p

I think the Rock n Roll Racing soundtrack on genesis is a better example of how shitty the genesis sound chip was. That's some god awful music for a game where much of the appeal lies in the badass licensed music. The announcer talking even cuts off the music while it doesn't do that on the SNES.
It's kind of unfair to compare these soundtracks when you consider the SNES version was Tim goddamn Follin. Man worked magic with whatever sound chip he got his hands on. The Genesis versions weren't done by him, however, and suffer greatly for it.

It's almost a crime that his one work for the Genesis never came out. Game was probably lousy, of course - Follin had an unfortunate tendency to lend awesome music to games that had nothing else going for them, like Silver Surfer or Spider-Man and the X-Men: Arcade's Revenge - but dat music.

That being said, if there's a comparison between SNES and Genesis music, then yeah, I agree that the SNES typically wins, except for isolated cases like Earthworm Jim (bass sounds off-key at times, some notes changed from the superior-to-both CD versions... Genesis version sounds kind of weak, though) or Toy Story (personal preference, admittedly, but the SNES version's instrument choices, while they work wonderfully for the more cheerful early stages, sound kind of goofy in the more serious-sounding tracks later in the game).

Is there any part of the Sonic games a SNES would not have been able to handle?

As I said above, Sonic 2's two player vs mode would be next to impossible on the SNES. It couldn't do the vertical resolution needed to make it happen. Also running on the stock SNES processor, it would choke trying to handle everything on screen at once.

But as far as single player goes. That is hard to say. Some of those larger levels in Sonic 2 and 3 might be a bit of a problem when you consider all the additional layers of parallax and BG layers used. But if an additional cartridge enhancement chip like the SA1 was used, then it could possibly be done (with a lower screen resolution).

Everyone knows the genesis sound chip was shit though. Some games were still able to get good music out of it on occasion.

It all really came down to the composer. Any good composer could work around the limitations of a weak soundchip and make it sing.

Andrew J.

Sega does what Nintendon't!

By which I mean it makes a bunch of dumb add-ons, goes third party, and drives its mascot platformer franchise into the ground.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Is there any part of the Sonic games a SNES would not have been able to handle?

Probably. Sometimes you can go so fast even the Genesis can't keep up.

Although I think Contra: Hard Corps and Gunstar Heroes are probably a better indicator of what the Genesis could really do.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Fuck that shit. Everytime somebody tries to prove a point about how the SNES sound chip, Rock n Roll Racing is brought up every single time. Mostly because it is just the worst posisble example. Not every multiplatform game has a gap as wide as Rock n Roll Racing. In fact, most aren't. Heck, I think Cool Spot sounds BETTER on Genesis.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
I really enjoyed that video. One of my favorites in recent memory. Even though young James was a big part of it, id like to see a few more videos of him just talking like that.

News to me. You could never get away with those kinds of commercials today. Aside form being tacky, you don't just blatantly show off a competitor's game like that.

News to me. You could never get away with those kinds of commercials today. Aside form being tacky, you don't just blatantly show off a competitor's game like that.

Sega was notorious for slandering Nintendo. I guess that was a big part of what made the 16bit console wars so great.

Super Mario World vs Sonic 1 (And hey, The Genesis is cheaper too): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK0OFsWWzu4

People with low IQ's buy Gameboy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cieXjddmpUY

Another Game Gear commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVL3uW9uV4E

And Sega Vs. Sony... man they were getting really desperate here....

Sega Saturn Vs. The PlayThing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-lCJr0yVo8

Fly Plaything Fly, You're not Ready : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPTX41MhHnk

Natetan

Sega was notorious for slandering Nintendo. I guess that was a big part of what made the 16bit console wars so great.

Super Mario World vs Sonic 1 (And hey, The Genesis is cheaper too): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK0OFsWWzu4

People with low IQ's buy Gameboy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cieXjddmpUY

Another Game Gear commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVL3uW9uV4E

And Sega Vs. Sony... man they were getting really desperate here....

Sega Saturn Vs. The PlayThing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-lCJr0yVo8

Fly Plaything Fly, You're not Ready : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPTX41MhHnk

CREAMED SPINACH COLOR

i miss the battles

next_level.gif

CREAMED SPINACH COLOR

i miss the battles

next_level.gif

The funny thing is the battles were generally one sided. As Nintendo never really fired back with their own advertisements. I guess they always went the high road and never stooped to the slander game. But that was part of Sega's advertisement campaign. They knew they were the underdogs going into the 16bit market, so they did everything in their power to change the public perception of Sega. They tried to push the whole "Sega is cool and now" while "SNES is the old and busted" angle. It was successful for the most part, as it really opened up the market to a two console race. Sega's success in the console realm didn't last long though, but for what its worth, I do think they opened up the market for other companies like Sony and Microsoft to step in.

Also another Game Gear commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVnyPucX4nE

I am almost certain that this one was pulled from TV for stepping to far over the line. They were literally saying that only red neck/ white trash could only be amused by a device with a monochrome green screen.

Suairyu

Banned
360? Nah. This generation, all you needed was a Wii and a PC.
I didn't include the PC for a reason. If I had, the obvious choice would have just been to upgrade your PC every gen and ignore consoles all together.

And hell no is the Wii a console you could get by itself and be set this gen to experience a broad range of experiences and fun. It has great platformers and puzzlers and a couple of decent RPGs, but its shooter library is severely lacking outside of Metroid, its racing genre may as well not exist, its fighting library is poor and the way Nintendo did business with the indie game makers has been nothing short of insulting. They made Microsoft's "go bankrupt to get a patch" policy look positively generous.

I love my Wii and the selection of its library that I consider fun, but if I had to pick just one console this gen, it certainly wouldn't be the one.

My lord, so wrong. For one thing, of your listed 'winners' you'd miss out on many of the most important games of all time, particularly on N64. PS2 is the only generation where one console really dominated. EDIT: NES as well.
I wasn't talking about what consoles "dominated" now, was I? Nor which one had the most key titles. I mean, PS3 has Uncharted and thatgamecompany's games like flower and Journey, my GOTGs. I'd still say you'd be more set with a 360 than a PS3, if you had to pick one.

Really, the Mega Drive/Genesis was basically the N64 of the generation. Some key important games, but only successful in America, and only had a short time in the spotlight. N64 and Mega Drive (plus the PS360 combo) are the most successful/important '2nd place' systems I guess.
People always forget about Europe... and again you're not really getting the point of my post.

Chojin

They knew they were the underdogs going into the 16bit market, so they did everything in their power to change the public perception of Sega. They tried to push the whole "Sega is cool and now" while "SNES is the old and busted" angle.

Which is hilarious when you remember the fact that the Genesis came out 2 full years before the SNES did. If they were coming into 16-Bit as the underdog then they must have been thinking while developing the Megadrive "Gee, this is a neat machine but what the holy fuck is Nintendo going to do to follow up the Famicom?" See? I can't buy the underdog thing. If anything in Japan they were playing catch up to the PC engine. They were just lucky the TG-16 didn't catch on in the states.

Meanwhile in the States you still had the Genesis in 89 vs Snes in 91. Still another two years head start. Yet they were trying to portray the Snes as Old and Busted? I knew better than that even as a kid.

Sega was smart to concentrate on Sports titles and Arcade ports, granted arcades were dying before Street Fighter 2 revived the arcade but taking on the Snes from a hardware angle was really just a bad thing to do. They should have played to their strengths with "your older brother's console" in terms of a more mature demographic than to pull that "Blast Processing" crap.

One thing they DID do right though was pack in Sonic eventually. Even though Sega of Japan was kicking and screaming at Michael Katz for giving up the Golden Goose as a pack in. It saved their asses in the States and what did he get in return? They gave him the boot.

Sometimes I imagine what Sega would be like today if they didn't have all that Sega Of America vs Sega of Japan infighting mentality we had in the 90s. I'm not even a huge Sega fan but the reality of us living in a world without a Sega console still doesn't sit well with me 11 years later.

Edit: DOH. I was wrong. That was Kalinske who packed in Sonic. Still, my main point remains, there was too much of a Sega of America vs Sega of Japan mentality. Which really hits home considering Megadrive was 3rd place in Japan while Genesis was Second in the States. Granted like I said the TG-16 was pretty much dead DOA in the States but it doesn't hide the fact that they were selling a bunch more Genesis consoles than Megadrives in Japan. Sometimes I get the feeling that Sega of Japan just couldn't handle that fact.

No, the Sonic titles could not have been done on the Super Nintendo.

You have to keep in mind, 'Sonic the Hedgehog' was designed from the very beginning to take advantage of the strengths of the Genesis system. Sega knew that the SNES lacked processing power, so they took the one area where the Genesis had Nintendo's console beat and exploited it and turned it into a marketing campaign.

JordanKZ

To me the Megadrive/Genesis was kinda like the GameCube in some ways. You often found that the vast majority of third party developers couldn't get the most out of the hardware and in most cases first party titles always seemed streets ahead.

To me the Megadrive/Genesis was kinda like the GameCube in some ways. You often found that the vast majority of third party developers couldn't get the most out of the hardware and in most cases first party titles always seemed streets ahead.

Except in the case of Treasure, of course. Who as far as I'm concerned, were gods.

Top Bottom