• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

DarkKyo

This guy is funny.
The TMNT review is pure gold and wtf at the Back to the Future games. Terrible indeed.

Hehe just discovering him?? Oh man you have so much awesomeness in his catalog to go through.

My top 5 favorites of all time are probably...

1) TMNT 3 (movie) review
2) Bible Games I
3) Nintendo Power Nostalgia
4) Silver Surfer
5) Ghostbusters

There are plenty of others I love though that I have to name, like the Virtual Boy reviews, Sega 32X + CD, Fester's Quest, the Simpsons games... aw man now I wanna rewatch a bunch.

Anteater

And this thread still dont have 6000 posts. I'm kinda surprised after so long, i thought this guy was more popular here after so many years and videos.

Now you mention it, yeah, that's not a lot of posts, considering how much comments he gets on his videos.

Archon473

A lot of people have grief with this episode. Most of the jokes in Ep. 107 are about AVGN's universal jokes and how he wrote/directed previous episodes. Many jokes also directly reference Schwarzenegger movies. If you do not have an awareness for the source material, you might not notice a joke is even being made. For fans of James's work, this episode is hilarious and tops my list of favorites.

I'm surprised he did not review True Lies, a damn fine Schwarzenegger games. Perhaps that will be a forthcoming episode.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Probably the best AVGN in the last couple of years. I lost in when he spit out his beer. I want more!

Archon473

For both the Genesis and SNES version, Beam Software is listed in the credits. I guess LJN and Acclaim published the game on separate consoles.

Also, BOSS Bane avatar above, Criminal Upper!

Utako

Banned
3) Nintendo Power Nostalgia
I just watched this one for the first time.

It reminded me how sad the N64 days were*, both in Nintendo Power and in front of the TV. Passive-aggressive Nintendo Power editors would have been fucking roasted on the Internet.

(*and how insanely awesome the PSX days were)

Jackano

Glad to see him back with a video but I agree with the critics, even if it was an enjoyable episode. It's an AVGN episode without surprises, but I think he holds back every idea he had in a year or two for the movie. So that's forgettable!

maharg

idspispopd
What is retarded about it?

There's no real reason the "Angry Nintendo Nerd" had to only review Nintendo games, and it's pretty obvious even now that James' own nostalgia is heavily steeped in Nintendo fandom. Sure, he collects other stuff but it's always been obvious he just knows more about, and has more of, Nintendo stuff.

That's why, to me at least, he'll always be the ANN. AVGN is an attempt to be marketing savvy and failing.

Maffis

There's no real reason the "Angry Nintendo Nerd" had to only review Nintendo games, and it's pretty obvious even now that James' own nostalgia is heavily steeped in Nintendo fandom. Sure, he collects other stuff but it's always been obvious he just knows more about, and has more of, Nintendo stuff.

That's why, to me at least, he'll always be the ANN. AVGN is an attempt to be marketing savvy and failing.

How is it failing, exactly?

maharg

idspispopd
Because it's transparent and it conveys less information about him.

I doubt it was legal, unless it was defensive (as in, he was worried about what they might do).

winter

From Cinnemassacre.com/faq

WHAT WAS THE REASON FOR THE NAME CHANGE FROM “NINTENDO” NERD TO “VIDEO GAME” NERD?

To branch out to OTHER game consoles, besides Nintendo. Also to avoid any possible trademark issue. If you still prefer to call me the Angry Nintendo Nerd, then go ahead. Think of it as an alternate name. I’m also the Angry Atari Nerd, Sega Nerd, whatever, but in general, I’m the Angry Video Game Nerd. That’s the umbrella name that encompasses the whole thing.

Utako

Banned
"Angry Nintendo Nerd" rolls off the tongue easier, but it doesn't make any goddamn sense when he's reviewing games for other platforms.

Even if you like the old name better, it seems a bit silly to insist he's still called the Angry Nintendo Nerd when he hasn't called himself that in years.

Acerac

Banned
"Angry Nintendo Nerd" rolls off the tongue easier, but it doesn't make any goddamn sense when he's reviewing games for other platforms.

Don't you remember when all video games were Nintendo, even when they actually weren't? His old name worked fine.

Even if you like the old name better, it seems a bit silly to insist he's still called the Angry Nintendo Nerd when he hasn't called himself that in years.
He's not called that any more, but he should be.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
All the games were shit all, especially the Predator one lol. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles artifacts.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
It's easier to sell things when you're the Angry Video Game Nerd than it is when you're the Angry Nintendo Nerd.

You just don't have to worry about having Nintendo's legal department maybe getting oversensitive about their trademarks.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
AVGN is such a better acronym too. Say, "ANN" and people will go, "Uh what? The Onion?"

Yeah, I've never understood why this thread title gets updated with whatever the latest episode is, yet continues to go by 'Angry Nintendo Nerd', which hasn't been the show's name in about four years.

To me, calling him the Angry Nintendo Nerd is kind of nostalgic in itself, it reminds me of when "Nintendo" was just a generic term for a video game old people would use. e.g. "Billy, put away that Nintendo" "It's a playstation 2, MOM."

It was good to see AVGN back in a traditional episode, and after being away from somethign for awhile, you have to get back into the groove. Some very funny parts, but some of his outbursts seemed off a bit.

Oh look, LiK is back. What earned you that ban?

I've felt that his outbursts were off in many of his later episodes. He doesn't seem to be genuinely mad at the games, rather he's faking it for the sake of the video. It's a turnoff because the appeal of his earlier videos was the fact that he was genuinely fucking pissed off rather than analytically reviewing games. He became less the ANGRY Video Game Nerd and more just a Video Game Nerd.

Anteater

I still called him angry nintendo nerd until just several months ago, I think I didn't watch a bunch of episodes when he changed it, I thought nintendo nerd has a nice ring to it.

To me, calling him the Angry Nintendo Nerd is kind of nostalgic in itself, it reminds me of when "Nintendo" was just a generic term for a video game old people would use. e.g. "Billy, put away that Nintendo" "It's a playstation 2, MOM."

Yeah, my mom used to call (and probably still does) video games "the nintendo"

lopaz

Banned
I've felt that his outbursts were off in many of his later episodes. He doesn't seem to be genuinely mad at the games, rather he's faking it for the sake of the video. It's a turnoff because the appeal of his earlier videos was the fact that he was genuinely fucking pissed off rather than analytically reviewing games. He became less the ANGRY Video Game Nerd and more just a Video Game Nerd.

It's true but how long do you expect him to maintain that genuine level of rage lol.

Demigod Mac

The name change was necessary to proactively avoid potential legal complications (it was OK when he was a cult hit, but it could easily become a problem when his popularity soared and he started making money off of his franchise) and also the fact that he started reviewing other game platforms.

But one thing about the name change still bothers me, particularly about the Nerd's theme song....

bill-nighy-love-actually.jpg

"And particularly enjoy the incredible crassness of the moment when we try to squeeze an extra syllable into the fourth line!"

I'm just not feeling the nerd anymore. It feels to me that the older episodes were better because they were the games he played when he was a kid and returned later to expose the shit to the internet. Also I don't remember any of the longer episodes being very good. Tho the newer stuff do have few better ones. I liked Ninja Gaiden episode.

I'm still interested to see how the movie will turn out.

Also nerd is at his best when he is cynical or sarcastic, not when he is angry or ''angry'' imo.

Davey Cakes

I've been playing through Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse on the Wii VC. As much as I love this game playing it throughout the years, I've never done the second quest, so I'm doing it now with Grant. I did my first quest going the top way, and this time I'm taking the bottom way. Brilliant game.

I feel like James/Nerd didn't do this game justice in his "Castlevania Part II" review. Just watched that again and it's mostly just a bunch of bitching. The game does have some really cheap parts (e.g. the bats in the pendulum room of the final level) but the Nerd made the overall game seem way cheaper. Like any well-designed NES game, if you actually get good at it then you realize how amazing it is in all the right areas. If no one put in the effort to get good at Mega Man then those games wouldn't have a fanbase either.

While obviously the review was also meant as an overview, I feel like of all games he's done, CVIII is one that deserves re-visiting. I'd like to see James' take on the design of the game as a whole, going more into depth of the characters and split-path choices and everything else. It normally wouldn't be a big deal but I feel like the first review gives the wrong impression of what is actually one of the best games ever made.

Top Bottom