• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

thefro

interesting, since there's already people doing cheetahmen II reproductions that let you play all the levels. $60 to get the game boxed and all isn't horrible though.

Yeah, the guy doing the kickstarter actually seems to have bought the Cheetahmen rights (LOL) and trademarked it, so his would be a legal version of the game.

N4Us

Twitter update:

In my history of making videos about video games, I don't think I've ever had to capture as many game clips as I did this week.

Wonder what this one's gonna be about...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
This is probably a stupid question but how will the AVGN movie be released? Digitally?

He hasn't said, other than he's going to show it at film festival and is considering DVD (and maybe Blu-ray) after that's all done.

AVGN update on the Cheetahmen II game:
Over the past week, there’s been a lot of fuss over the Cheetahmen thing, so I looked at the Kickstarter page for the very first time. I admit, I didn’t understand the costs at first and I should have researched it beforehand, but when it was explained to me, it made more sense. Honestly, I’ve paid $60 for the Nintendo World Champion reproduction cart that you saw in the NWC episode and that game didn’t come with a box or comic book. But I don’t know a thing about game production. My suggestion is not to listen to internet rumors and jump to conclusions. Make your own judgement and only donate if you want a Cheetahmen game. The choice is yours. I’m truly sorry about any inconvenience.

-James
http://cinemassacre.com/2012/08/12/cheetahmen-2-update/

Fox Mulder

Great video, I had the two consoles and in my opinions SNES win, mostly because of games like Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger and Super Metroid. My favorite on Genesis is one of the earliest games; Strider. Wich BTW doesn't need the "Blast Processor".

I was in the nintendo camp as a kid, but have tons of games for both now. It fascinates me how some releases were vastly different between the two. Classics like Aladdin and Sunset Riders are two entirely different games but awesome in their own ways. You really don't see that anymore.

Plus the genesis generally had more gore than Nintendo stuff. You enter a code for robocop vs terminator and you're turning street whores into red puddles like a badass.

Mupod

I was a Genesis kid surrounded by SNES kids, and I took every bit of ammunition I could get. Blast processing? I didn't know what the hell it was, but neither did they. When I found out the SNES version of MK1 was censored, oh man that was a glorious week.

Seriously though at that age I was much more into fast action games. Blast processing may be a bullshit term but the SNES would choke and die on something like Gunstar Heroes. I wouldn't have given up that, Sonic, or Rocket Knight Adventures for anything. Not even Mario Kart which I played with my cousin damn near every weekend. Speaking of which that one commercial always bugged me because as much as I loved my Genesis I didn't think it made sense that they were mocking a game as fucking awesome as Mario Kart.

I did eventually gain an appreciation for RPGs and such, of course. I even went back and played some amazing Genesis games I missed out on like Phantasy Star IV and Alien Soldier. Nowadays I can't say which system I prefer because both held amazing experiences for me.

I was in the nintendo camp as a kid, but have tons of games for both now. It fascinates me how some releases were vastly different between the two. Classics like Aladdin and Sunset Riders are two entirely different games but awesome in their own ways. You really don't see that anymore.

Plus the genesis generally had more gore than Nintendo stuff. You enter a code for robocop vs terminator and you're turning street whores into red puddles like a badass.

I generally liked SNES games better, but the Genesis version of Aladdin was soooooooooo much better than the SNES version.

The Genesis commercial was amazing. James really has a talent for making this stuff. It's worth watching just for the commercial alone. Of course the rest was also amazing.

Man, what a great video, James seems to be really having fun with it. Sometimes I wish he'd ditch the nerd altogether.

Although, I still don't know what the contoversy is about. SNES always wins. The last years of the Genesis' life were embarassing while the SNES was ballin'

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Great video. It's funny how after 20 years, fanboy behavior hasn't changed a bit (not James, just fanboys in general).
Yeah, the Genesis commercial was brilliant. Exactly like the "Angry Black Man Sega CD" commercial.

DJMicLuv

I enjoyed that video more than a lot of the AVGN stuff lately. It was really personable as well as being funny.

I got the feeling James was happier doing this video than having to throw a few 'fucks' in to keep in character, but I really liked his presenting style here and hope he keeps doing more historical game videos as himself.

He seems like a nice, hard-working guy and I'm really looking forward to seeing how the AVGN movie turns out but I'd be quite happy with him cutting down on the Angry bit and being more of an HVGN like in this video.

Suairyu

Banned
Honestly, the 16bit gen was the only gen where you couldn't pick one single console and say "winner" If someone was to tell you you could only have one console per gen, you'd probably go:

NES
Playstation
Playstation 2
Xbox 360

You'd miss out on a few games by just picking the above, but for the most part you'd be set. They were clear 'winners' of their time when it comes to traditional gaming.

But Mega Drive and SNES? They both had different strengths and very different libraries.

The Mega Drive was like an arcade machine in your home. That extra processing strength did help in this regard, allowing more shit to be thrown at the screen and everything to move at a faster pace. In the right hands, the sound chip could produce great tunes, as well, at a much higher fidelity than the SNES. You could count the amount of 'right hands' on one hand, though...

The SNES with its gorgeous colours and "better 99% of the time" sound chip though... RPGs, slower paced platformers and adventure games dripping in atmosphere (mmm Super Metroid) ruled the roost. The Mode 7 stuff was also great at the time, but in retrospect I really don't think many of those titles like Starfox or Super Mario Kart actually hold up.

But seriously, my point is - how could anyone pick? You can't! Don't even try.

Sonic > Mario, though. Mario games are just "hold right to win". True facts. (I love me some Super Mario World)

They were clear 'winners' of their time when it comes to traditional gaming.
Is 360 really a ''clear winner'' tho. Seems to me it depends if we are talking about first or latter half of this gen. Wii is kinda its own thing too.

And I admit i'm no expert in 16 bit era but seems to me that SNES is pretty clear winner still.

The SNES having higher resolution graphics is a bit misleading, as the 512x446 graphics mode was servery limited to displaying only 16 colours on the BG layer. Only a small handful of games ever used that. Typically SNES games displayed at 256 × 224 resolution. The Genesis could display up to 320×448 as shown in Sonic 2's two player split screen mode.

Also, the amount of sprites that both systems could display on screen was pretty suggestive. As the stock SNES realty struggled with large numbers on screens. Though the SNES worked around these limitations by putting support chips into the cartridges like the DSP chips, SA1 (which was a 10Mhz processor) and Super FX chips. Though the SNES could put larger sprites on screen. Almost certain of that.

But the rest is pretty right. :p

Bah, I am falling victim to the 16bit wars again...

Fun video though. Probably one of the best game related ones he has done in a long time. Great job incorporating his old video from when he was a kid too.

Jawmuncher

Is 360 really a ''clear winner'' tho. Seems to me it depends if we are talking about first or latter half of this gen. Wii is kinda its own thing too.

PS3 and 360 just need to get smooshed together.
Talking about just games here, they're pretty similar aside from a few exclusives here and there.

I agree though that wii is it's own thing and honestly should just be in its own category.

I love stuff where it's just James, and that wasn't any exception. Looking forward to part two.

Li'l James' video was straight up Youtube fanboy rant :lol

zoukka

Schwarzenegger episode seems very homophobic. Or maybe all the episodes are, but choking on cocks and sucking them seems to be a theme here lol.

Kokonoe

Banned
For me, it was these that defined the systems. (In my initial experiences)

Using only first party titles.

SNES

Zelda: A Link To The Past
Super Mario World
Mega Man X
TMNT Turtles in Time

Genesis

Chakan: The Forever Man
Sonic & Knuckles
Sonic 2
Mazin Saga Mutant Fighter
Columns
Mercs
Sub-Terrania

Much later on

SNES

Star Fox
Super Castlevania IV
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Mario RPG
Mega Man 7
Kirby's Dream Course

SEGA

Sonic
Sonic 3
Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion
Gunstar Heroes
Castlevania Bloodlines

I do list more Genesis games, but a lot of these games I would certainly put under the Nintendo ones. The only ones I feel on par with Mario and Zelda are the Sonic games.

I have never played the following

Super Metroid
Pulseman
Final Fantasy (any of them on the SNES)
Phantasy Star (any of them except II which I played briefly)
Chrono Trigger
Beyond Oasis
Shinobi
Shining Force (any of them)

It's odd for me to pick one.

Top Bottom