• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

Metal-Geo

No, the Sonic titles could not have been done on the Super Nintendo.

You have to keep in mind, 'Sonic the Hedgehog' was designed from the very beginning to take advantage of the strengths of the Genesis system. Sega knew that the SNES lacked processing power, so they took the one area where the Genesis had Nintendo's console beat and exploited it and turned it into a marketing campaign.
Blast processing! It's not a lie, it's real dammit! It's real!

It's real. :'(

Chojin

You have to keep in mind, 'Sonic the Hedgehog' was designed from the very beginning to take advantage of the strengths of the Genesis system. Sega knew that the SNES lacked processing power, so they took the one area where the Genesis had Nintendo's console beat and exploited it and turned it into a marketing campaign.

While the CPU for the Genesis was twice the speed of the Snes it really has nothing to do with how fast you can make a sprite move on the screen or how fast the background scrolls. There's plenty of games on the Snes that have the same "speed" of sonic running around.

Sega exploited a number and turned it into a marketing campaign, they didn't really prove that they could do something that the SNES couldn't do other than have a Clangy sounding Yamaha YM2612 that all your old arcade and computer games sounded like and I guess uh.. Blood in Mortal Kombat 1 :p

Chojin

Why didn't the snes ever get EA's Road Rash?

Because EA hated Nintendo at the time ;)

Actually if I recall EA was trying to make Road Rash for Snes but it just never happened. EA also had a LOT more success on the Genesis than they ever did on the SNES.

Still. Would have been awesome to see a snes Road Rash. Hell would be awesome to see a current gen Road Rash :D

JordanKZ

Having never seen any of his videos before, that was pretty good. Any of his other videos I really should watch?

This is nothing like his normal videos. This was far more about information and less about theatrics and comedy. If you like this video, there's no guarantee you'll like his 'old' AVGN stuff.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
The funny thing is the battles were generally one sided. As Nintendo never really fired back with their own advertisements. I guess they always went the high road and never stooped to the slander game. But that was part of Sega's advertisement campaign. They knew they were the underdogs going into the 16bit market, so they did everything in their power to change the public perception of Sega. They tried to push the whole "Sega is cool and now" while "SNES is the old and busted" angle. It was successful for the most part, as it really opened up the market to a two console race. Sega's success in the console realm didn't last long though, but for what its worth, I do think they opened up the market for other companies like Sony and Microsoft to step in.

Actually, I thought Nintendo's "Play it Loud" ad campaign was in direct response to Sega.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIpM_WHQPfw&eurl=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMQAbQ1hJZw

krae_man

What about Sonic 4?

Chojin

Actually, I thought Nintendo's "Play it Loud" ad campaign was in direct response to Sega.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIpM_WHQPfw&eurl=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMQAbQ1hJZw

Sure it's a response. It's pretty much the typical 90's X-TREME advertising. However it's not mud slinging negative advertising. Nintendo kinda just did what it did, throw Nintendo Power at the kids and let them live in a world where Nintendo only existed. Worked for them for a good while.

I mean really the two fighting over scraps were Sega and NEC at the time. NEC would give you Fat Johnny Turbo battling "Feka" over shitty CD Rom attatchments and Sega was the kid at school that ate paper to get attention. At least in Sega's case it worked to an extent.

I mean I recall reading in Steven Kent's First Quarter book that rappers were doing the "Sega Scream" at each other backstage o_O. I mean for Eff's sake my roomate still yells the Sega Scream randomly but I think it's just cause he's got asperger's or something.

Cut out the middleman ;) It really was a hack of Speedy Gonzales.

While the CPU for the Genesis was twice the speed of the Snes it really has nothing to do with how fast you can make a sprite move on the screen or how fast the background scrolls. There's plenty of games on the Snes that have the same "speed" of sonic running around.

Perhaps I should have clarified, the games could not have been done on the SNES...without a significant amount of slowdown.

krae_man said:
What about Sonic 4?

Oh you.

But funnily enough, I have actually seen people use this hack in serious arguments. The 16-bit Wars will never end :)

Lothar

Banned
This is nothing like his normal videos. This was far more about information and less about theatrics and comedy. If you like this video, there's no guarantee you'll like his 'old' AVGN stuff.

There are reviews of his that are very similar style though. There's almost no AVGN schtick from what I can recall in his system reviews, for example. Watch these Bodyboarder if you want calm informative AVGN: Sega CD, Sega 32x, Jaguar, Virtual Boy, Double Vision, Swordquest, Nintendo Power, Castlevania series.

Watch these to try out angry AVGN: TMNT, Battletoads, Silver Surfer, Super Pitfall, Dragon's Lair

Watch these to try out skit-heavy AVGN: Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Halloween, Rob Robot

For a combination of anger and skit, try out Ninja Gaiden. My personal favorite of them all.

Chojin

Perhaps I should have clarified, the games could not have been done on the SNES...without a significant amount of slowdown.

By that same measurement we can also say there's a kajillion and one Snes games that could not have been done on the Genesis...without a signifcant amount of graphical/sound degradation in addition inability to produce hardware effects like mode 7 without janky software tricks.

Also, raw CPU power is meaningless and extremely misleading. A lot of processing can be offloaded to the SNES's PPU. Not to mention that Nintendo purposely chose to use that CPU knowing that they couldn't predict the future. What do I mean by that? From the get go the SNES was created to use DSP in their carts. It allowed more options. Pilotwings used it, so it wasn't done in the way of a "band-aid" like say Sega's SVD chip they used in Virtua Racing for Genesis. Day one Nintendo knew that they wouldn't have to rely on the CPU alone to handle everything. So to stack CPU's side by side is very misleading and in the end what do you really have? HEY! Look guys! This is one thing we have that is a BIGGER NUMBER than the competition, that means something right? Hell no, they couldn't even sell it like that, they had to come up with a buzzword like "Blast Processing"

jman2050

You can't specifically do Sonic on the Super Nintendo. Sonic is a very processor-intensive game by design, and in fact Sonic 3 and Knuckles had to be recoded and optimized to hell and back to avoid the lag that plagued the first two games when several objects were on screen.

By that same measurement we can also say there's a kajillion and one Snes games that could not have been done on the Genesis...without a signifcant amount of graphical/sound degradation in addition inability to produce hardware effects like mode 7 without janky software tricks.

Exactly. Both systems had their strengths and weaknesses and both had libraries filled with games that played to the strengths of their respective console.

Chojin

You can't specifically do Sonic on the Super Nintendo. Sonic is a very processor-intensive game by design, and in fact Sonic 3 and Knuckles had to be recoded and optimized to hell and back to avoid the lag that plagued the first two games when several objects were on screen.

Okay, I agree. Sonic the Hedgehog for Genesis could not specifically be done on the SNES.

Exactly. Both systems had their strengths and weaknesses and both had libraries filled with games that played to the strengths of their respective console.

Then we agree :)

But, sorry, its nagging at me, you have to admit, the concept of "Blast Processing" and not really explaining what it was or did was a pretty silly trick that worked, but a silly trick regardless.

And no I'm not downplaying the Genesis's DMA vs SNES nor the CPU speed. It's a legitimate metric, if that's all you care about.

Thankfully you and I really don't because if we did then we'd do the math and get a Jaguar ;D

Lothar

Banned
Biggest difference between SNES and Genesis is in music.

Just think about the opening of FF6, Donkey Kong Country 2, Chrono Trigger, and Super Metroid. They make all Genesis games seem like Atari games in comparison.

Anth0ny

Biggest difference between SNES and Genesis is in music.

Just think about the opening of FF6, Donkey Kong Country 2, Chrono Trigger, and Super Metroid. They make all Genesis games seem like Atari games in comparison.

Sonic music hangs with the very best SNES music.

Then we agree :)

But, sorry, its nagging at me, you have to admit, the concept of "Blast Processing" and not really explaining what it was or did was a pretty silly trick that worked, but a silly trick regardless.

And no I'm not downplaying the Genesis's DMA vs SNES nor the CPU speed. It's a legitimate metric, if that's all you care about.

Thankfully you and I really don't because if we did then we'd do the math and get a Jaguar ;D

Oh, the 'Blast Processing' thing was just plain goofiness. It was smart to utilize that in their marketing obviously, but looking back on it, definitely goofy.

Sega of America were marketing geniuses. They knew exactly what kind of language to use in their advertising in order to lure gamers away from the Nintendo camp. But not only that, but to lure non-gamers in as well.

Saturn was my main console from 1995 to 1998.

Not being a big fan of Nintendo's lack of games or Sony's disdain towards 2D games, I didn't really have much choice.

But I have no regrets, I just wish Sega would have made more of an effort at bringing over more games from Japan. Instead of emphasizing the strengths of the Saturn and it's lush library of awesome 2D games, they seemed to try to beat the PSX at it's own game with crappier versions of primitive 3D games like Resident Evil and Tomb Raider. Bleh.

Chojin

Yeah, as bad the SNES vs Genesis was, it was NOTHING compared to the childish mud-slinging that was PSX vs Saturn.

I was in high school for that gen, nobody talked about Saturn. My best friend had a Saturn but he was a weirdo. Actually, you know I never really dealt with that console war because come to think of it, N64 and PSX was like my 11th and 12th grade years and honestly yeah. I didn't follow it much. I had an N64 but then left it to my brother and my dorm-mate had a ps1 and played nothing but ff7 and mgs1. That's right, I had a PC then :D

I'm kinda interested in the console warz for that gen, what was it like? How bad was the mudslinging really? What was the comparison between games?

Instead of emphasizing the strengths of the Saturn and it's lush library of awesome 2D games, they seemed to try to beat the PSX at it's own game with crappier versions of primitive 3D games like Resident Evil and Tomb Raider. Bleh.

if they had emphasized 2d games in 1995 they would have died even more quickly

Chojin

Oh I remember getting that in the mail, it was bad. Yeah I pretty much dropped out of console gaming until uh... Disgaea? 3D mario while neat was not the future I was looking for. , PCs filled that void nicely. But yeah Disgaea drug me back into this mess.

I've always admired them portraying Sony as the conniving brains and Sega as the dumb brainless muscle.

Well considering Sony almost made off with co-opting Nintendo's entire platform with the Nintendo Playstation's licensing agreement, it's not hard to wonder why they'd think that :p

Or it could just be coincidence :D

if they had emphasized 2d games in 1995 they would have died even more quickly

They would have carved a larger niche for themsleves among the hardcore gaming community, though. The problem with the Saturn was, it simply wasn't designed to handle extensive amounts of 3D in mind. So they were left with a console that could handle 2D extremely well, but 3D worse than both of it's competitors. I understand the need to offer a comparable gaming experience as it's competition, but they should not have left it's fans hanging high and dry.

Naturally, most of us had the good insight to modify our consoles and use those colorful ads in the back of GameFan magazine to take full advantage of our $400 console :)

But it was pretty lame that we had to go to such lengths.

That's primarily why Sega is no longer in the console game to this day, they burned their fans one time too many.

They would have carved a larger niche for themsleves among the hardcore gaming community, though. The problem with the Saturn was, it simply wasn't designed to handle extensive amounts of 3D in mind. So they were left with a console that could handle 2D extremely well, but 3D worse than both of it's competitors. I understand the need to offer a comparable gaming experience as it's competition, but they should not have left it's fans hanging high and dry.

Naturally, most of us had the good insight to modify our consoles and take advantage of the ads in the back of GameFan magazine to take full advantage of our $400 console :)

But it was pretty lame that we had to go to such lengths.

That's primarily why Sega is no longer in the console game to this day, they burned their fans one time too many.

Focusing on their hardcore niche is the strategy that lead to the Saturn and Dreamcast ending up how they did. Sega was too focused on being the cool hardcore gamer's darling with arcade-perfect ports and bizarre niche games. They continuously lost their grips on the sports and mainstream action genres that made them big in the first place.

Focusing on their hardcore niche is the strategy that lead to the Saturn and Dreamcast ending up how they did. Sega was too focused on being the cool hardcore gamer's darling with arcade-perfect ports and bizarre niche games. They continuously lost their grips on the sports and mainstream action genres that made them big in the first place.

Actually, Sega(talking strictly about Sega of America) didn't really try to focus on their hardcore fanbase very much at all. A huge bulk of the Saturn's great library of games was left in Japan. Sega of America was trying to persuade people to buy a Saturn instead of a Playstation by claiming that their console offered a similar gaming experience.

SoA tried to pretend the Saturn was another Sega Genesis, which it wasn't. Like you said, most of the good games for it were Japanese arcade-styled games, and by that point the arcade experience just wasn't attractive to the increasingly casual gamer.

I don't think SoA wanted to deal with the Saturn at all. If they had their way, I think they would have honestly preferred to keep the Genesis alive through the 32X add-on.

nobody owned a Saturn.

N64 vs. PS1 was an all out war when I was a kid.

yeah this is true. The Saturn became the TurboGrafx 16 of that generation. I owned a Saturn back then too, and I love it. But there was no denying that Sony won over the entire gaming industry in that period.

...And rightfully so. They made hardware that hit a sweet spot with developers, publishers and consumers. The Sega Saturn was a clusterfuck from a hardware point of view.... most third party developers generally disliked the machine because it was too convoluted for its own good when it came to creating 3D games. The Nintendo 64 had decent hardware but Nintendo really limited the third party support by sticking with cartridges instead of going with optical media. Publishers generally veered away from wanting to produce cartridges because they were just to much money to produce. A CD cost pennies to press in comparison.

Actually, Sega(talking strictly about Sega of America) didn't really try to focus on their hardcore fanbase very much at all. A huge bulk of the Saturn's great library of games was left in Japan. Sega of America was trying to persuade people to buy a Saturn instead of a Playstation by claiming that their console offered a similar gaming experience.

This is true. SOA didn't try to advertise to the hardcore gamer at all. They were still working under the assumption that their Genesis marketing campaign would still be effective. Which it didn't, since they didn't have many killer app titles that they could use to sell to the mass consumer. Like they did with the Genesis.

But you could also say that the Saturn helped create the "hard core gamer" as there was a whole sub market of gamers who ended up importing games from Japan and buying cartridges that would bypass region lockout.

Even during the Dreamcast era, Sega (of America) never tried to market the machine to the 'Hardcore' gamer. They were still trying to win back the mainstream crowd. They did do a lot of things right with the Dreamcast that they failed to do with the Saturn. But by that point, Playstation was already embedded into everyone's brains to make any large dent in the industry.

Top Bottom