• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

I believe that the conscious was that the Genesis sports games played faster, but besides that the SNES version looked better.

There was one odd arcade port that I am still to this day bewildered. Why was the SNES version of Wrestlemania The Arcade Game missing 2 characters while the Genesis version they remained? The game was technically superior on so many levels on the SNES version and in noway was the game pushing the hardware to its limits. Hell, it only had 6 wrestlers in it, why not include the final 2?

Cheerilee

I believe that the conscious was that the Genesis sports games played faster, but besides that the SNES version looked better.

There was one odd arcade port that I am still to this day bewildered. Why was the SNES version of Wrestlemania The Arcade Game missing 2 characters while the Genesis version they remained? The game was technically superior on so many levels on the SNES version and in noway was the game pushing the hardware to its limits. Hell, it only had 6 wrestlers in it, why not include the final 2?

"Faster" was a loaded term. Technically correct, but it implies something different.

The Genesis had a "more powerful" CPU.

Kokonoe

Banned
WHAT WHAT WHAT! @ the bold. Seriously, dude... DUDE! Get on that shit! NOW!

I admit I actually stay away from RPGs because there was a time where I wasn't really into them, but the other is that RPGs require a decent amount of time to complete and somehow that puts me off these days.
You know it's also not so much that how long it takes, but usually how long it takes to get into the game as well, and the connection with the story leaves you engaged to complete it.

I'll eventually playthrough the Final Fantasy games and Chrono Trigger when I have the time. I'd probably play Super Metroid first.

thefro

James has been posting his top 10 games on various platforms on his site.

Atari 2600

1. Space Invaders

2. Stampede

3. Yars’ Revenge

4. Kaboom

5. Missile Command

6. Pitfall

7. Frogs and Flies

8. Worm War I

9. Jungle Hunt

10. Vanguard

NES

1. Super C

2. Legend of Zelda

3. Super Mario Bros 3

4. Mega Man 2

5. Contra

6. Tetris

7. Life Force

8.Punch Out

9. Metroid

10. Double Dragon 2

Genesis
1. Sonic the Hedgehog 2

2. Sonic the Hedgehog 3/ Sonic and Knuckles

3. Contra: Hard Corps

4. Castlevania: Bloodlines

5. Golden Axe 2

6.TMNT: Hyperstone Heist

7. X-Men 2

8. Sonic the Hedgehog

9. Aladdin

10. Toejam and Earl

SNES

1. Zelda: A Link to the Past

2. Super Metroid

3. Super Castlevania 4

4. Final Fantasy 3

5. Chrono Trigger

6. Donkey Kong Country

7. Super Mario World

8. TMNT: Turtles in Time

9. F-Zero

10. Star Fox

Honorable Mention: Mario Paint
(In some ways, it would make the #1 spot, because it gave me a creative outlet as a kid, but it’s not really a game.)

Maffis

His SNES list and my own is almost the same.

When thinking about it though, I think most people's SNES lists looks very close :p

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
i just started watching some of this guys video and wow, he really knows what hes talking about.

Lothar

Banned
I'm surprised that there's no Castlevania game in his NES list

That is weird. As much as I like Life Force and Metroid, I wouldn't call them close to being on Castlevania's level.

His SNES list is damn near perfect though. Just needs Earthbound in place of the TMNT Game.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
That is weird. As much as I like Life Force and Metroid, I wouldn't call them close to being on Castlevania's level.

His SNES list is damn near perfect though. Just needs Earthbound in place of the TMNT Game.

I like Earthbound as much as the next guy, but Turtles in Time is really damn good. It's often considered one of the best beat-em-ups ever made.

bjork

I'm surprised that there's no Castlevania game in his NES list

Especially considering he did a 4-part video on the series and CV1 got its entire own lovefest video, yeah. That seems like an oversight more than anything else.

Earthbound is fantastic, but I prefer TMNT over it. It's the greatest brawler ever made in my opinion.

Davey Cakes

Earthbound is fantastic, but I prefer TMNT over it. It's the greatest brawler ever made in my opinion.
I stopped enjoying brawlers/beat-em-ups at a young age. Never really got the most out of Turtles in Time (only rented it a few times), but I played a ton of TMNT 2 on the NES, though I understand that game gets a lot of flack for not being as good as its arcade counterpart. As for brawlers in general, Streets of Rage series was always one of my favorites, but my tastes changed so that those types of games became harder to appreciate.

However, Earthbound is pretty much a historic game for me. It basically defined the gaming bliss of the 90's for me, and always takes me back to my younger days. It's the kind of game that basically changed my perceptions of the world; its quirky nature imprinted itsel onto my personality in a unique way. I'm not only a huge fan, but also a contributor to the fan community as well.

James is obviously a TMNT buff, so choosing that game for his top 10 makes sense. For me personally, games like Earthbound are Top 5 caliber (for the SNES, anyway), where TMNT isn't even close. But everyone has their own experiences and preferences.

For those who know their Spanish, here's part of a 1993 promo VHS from Nintendo comparing tech stats between the SNES and Mega Drive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtcQxt-2Ts4&t=6m40s

Nostalgia overload. I still have this video in my room. I loved it when I was kid. When they used the Back to the Future theme to hype the videos DAMN.
I also liked a lot the voice of the narration, and that squeky bad 3D mario in spanish was so cheesy but fun.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
He was pretty horribly informed in that nes hacks video he put up, but he's alright. Fans are just assholes.

Fixed that.
But yeah, the hate for Mike is so damn blind and acidic. I keep seeing "commentaries" on the same two videos that even he admits were bad (The Elmo one and the Minecraft one).
People tend to forget that Mike is the reason James even does the videos. He pushed him to keep making them.

Also, the anti-AVGN crusaders are going to be very, very upset when they learn the Cheetahmen II Kickstarter has made its goal. Not that James or Cinemassacre got anything out of it, but I know they like scapegoating him.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
The Nerd’s Anger Management (AUDIO)

This is a 32 minute guide to relaxation and inner peace. It’s something I always thought about doing as a joke, sort of like something Andy Kaufman would’ve done. It’s kind of along the lines of reading the Mega Man 2 book out loud.

It’s also something that you can genuinely enjoy and use to help yourself relax or drift away to the land of sleep. It’s meant to be listened to as audio, but we don’t know how to upload it as audio only, so you’ll have to use the video player.

what in the fuck

Fox Mulder

There's a lot of stuff that MS could be doing with Rare besides bullshit kinect minigames. If Rare can't do more than that today, at least dust off the IP's to someone else.

Didn't someone at Rare just say it was never going to happen?
Sadly, MS was more interested in Kinect
Which major Rare IP would Murphy like to revive? "Probably the same game every Rare fan wants to see and that's Killer Instinct. We all wanted to make KI3, but Microsoft [was] more interested in broadening their demographic than making another fighting game. So it never got made, I doubt it ever will."
http://www.oxm.co.uk/45105/rare-wan...e-interested-in-broadening-their-demographic/

Medalion

Banned
James was really down on Nintendo during the N64 era it appears

I thought KI Gold was fun, but he's right, it wasn't arcade perfect.. I don't have the nostalgia attachment to the first KI so I can't say if it was better or worse... I only played the SNES version which sucked even worse.

James was really down on Nintendo during the N64 era it appears

I thought KI Gold was fun, but he's right, it wasn't arcade perfect.. I don't have the nostalgia attachment to the first KI so I can't say if it was better or worse... I only played the SNES version which sucked even worse.

I can relate to that. I was so down on them that I outright sold my N64 2 and a half years into it's life.

Fjordson

i just started watching some of this guys video and wow, he really knows what hes talking about.
I just started watching as well, heard of him before, but somehow never actually checked out an episode.

A lot of these are bloody hilarious. I just watched his Rocky review and I was literally in tears when he fought Clubber Lang.

"Wait...what's this? He's kicking my ass, or punching my face, whatever. Unlike Apollo, he'll rip your asshole inside out. Fuck. God damn, he's a tough son of a bitch fucker."

"Get up you floor fucking dick head!"

Lmao. Usually random swearing doesn't make me laugh all that much, but something about the way this guy does it gets me every time.

Also, these really make you see just how ridiculous some of these games were. Crazy difficulty spikes, easy to get lost, bizarre enemies, etc.

Top Bottom