• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

Maybe he added in some details after the fact like he did with his Virtual Boy review? I mean, he could illustrate the original Mac version or something, where you had mouse aiming instead of the god-awful angle rotation mechanic.

I doubt that he did that, admittedly, but still.

strobogo

Banned
On one hand, I'm super bummed that Monster Madness is only every other day this year. On the other hand, I'm happy that he's doing it at all this year. Monster Madness has been something I've looked forward to great for the past 3-4 years. I'm happy James is still making some time for it despite being as busy as he is.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Speaking of Channel Awesome/TGWTG, Linkara is doing something similar to Monster Madness. Longbox of the Damned, 31 days of looking at horror comic books (both entire series and single issues). And yes, he has admitted this is exactly like Monster Madness.

I imagine some people will hate it since he plays a hammy horror host, and one thing I've seen people claim is that characters are the worst.
http://atopfourthwall.blogspot.com/2012/10/longbox-of-damned-house-of-mystery-room.html

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
His voice can be really irritating, though I don't seem to mind it on the Power Ranger History videos.
Nostalgia Critic is gone anyway. He retired the character after merging it with the plot hole red herring whatever in the 4th anniversary special and will be bringing out a new character soon.

Lindsay Ellis has taken on the role of sole "Nostalgia" person on the site.

maharg

idspispopd
Nostalgia Critic is gone anyway. He retired the character after merging it with the plot hole red herring whatever in the 4th anniversary special and will be bringing out a new character soon.

Lindsay Ellis has taken on the role of sole "Nostalgia" person on the site.

MacGuffin. ;)

Shining

OMG, i have completely missed the mailbag episodes. Going back to epside 3.. i'm literally in tears over here! "Live like a windrammer as you fuck" - instant classic :D

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Rewatching the Friday 13th review and oh man, this may be the funniest review of his. What really makes it is James' obvious sarcasm and disdain.

I also forgot about:

Even Jason's mom makes an appearance. Do you know who she reminds me of? Those annoying fucking Medusas from Simon's Quest. Oh, wait, I'm talking about Castlevania III... Wait, I hate that game too?! So, anyway...

Even watching it years later I'm cracking up.
KuGsj.gif

Plus the whole "Don't kill me!" *shows game* "...kill me." is a classic. Not even to mention the "You and your friends are dead" rant.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Not an official review I guess, but AVGN just reviewed Bubble Bobble on Pat the NES Punk's NES Marathon, like he did River City Ransom last year. Don't think it's up anywhere yet.

I kind of get the impression that James doesn't play games that much anymore. Or at least not the sequels to the games he used to play. How can you not instantly know the name of the "rainbow in the dark" stage in Mario Kart?

Also, he's just kind of explaining Mario Kart in this video?

He did say Rainbow Road right away.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ghosts N' Goblins

For episode 108 the Nerd reviews the first NES game he ever owned – Ghosts N’ Goblins! This game is notorious for being one of the hardest games in the entire NES library. Will the Nerd be able to beat it? Watch to find out!

I miss the multiple October/Halloween reviews :(

Good episode. Very simple. No skits (which I miss from his Halloween episodes since they were always the most lavish). Glad he....
beat the game twice
and it reminded me of Ghostbusters and, I think, Red Riding Hood.

And, speaking of the ending, I hope he one day reviews
Final Fantasy
since it is a sacred cow that hasn't aged particularly well. However, it is just too damn long to do.

These videos continue to be treats. I always end his reviews with a smile on my face.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
This game sounds right up my alley (my alley being playing hard classics off the VC for the first time like Lost Levels, Kid Icarus, and Castlevania.) As long as a game has unlimited continues, I'm set.

I wouldn't beat it twice in a row though. Six stages and I'd consider it "beat."

As for the episode, really good! Not that funny but very classic-Nerd. When he beat it the first time it almost felt like I had beaten it too, such a great moment. Ending varied between kitschy and weak, but I get what he was going for.

Those 8-bit black screen "engrish" endings never get old. I swear, nobody ever bothered to proof read them because the developers didn't think that anyone was capable of playing through the game twice to see it.

eXistor

I played it recently and was surprised at how far I got without too much trouble. Still hard as balls though, the controls don't really help. I'm playing the PAL version and, as is the case sometimes with NES PAL games, it's choppy as hell, is the NTSC version smoother?

N4Us

Those 8-bit black screen "engrish" endings never get old. I swear, nobody ever bothered to proof read them because the developers didn't think that anyone was capable of playing through the game twice to see it.

It's even better hearing them in James' disbelieving voice.

"You feel STRONGETH WELLING??"

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

It's actually because the games were written in English by Japanese for Japanese. Native English speakers weren't really meant to read them. And of course they never bothered to re-translate for a Western release.

one_kill

Is AVGN still in partnership with ScrewAttack and GameTrailers?

In any case, I really enjoyed the episode. It's always fun to watch AVGN.

Top Bottom