• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

vixlar

The baseball game, that when he uses the catcher because he couldn't use the fielders, was one of my favorite games on Atari 2600.

I remember you can chose the fileders by pressing the stick on one direction and pressing the button. Pressing twice if you wanted an outfielder.

You could do strange things with the ball when you were the pitcher. Really imposible throws. We called that cheating.

You could toggle base stealing with the difficulty selector on the console. I don't remember how to activate it, but maybe it was by keeping the button pressed and chosing a direction.

Maybe the only downfall was the length. 9 innings was too long for this game. And I don't remember if it could played vs AI

LevityNYC

Banned
I was good at that baseball game with the ball on top of the pitchers head. It was actually pretty playable once you learned the controls.

I was also really good at Golf.

pikablu

Haha while I wasnt around when these games were released, I had a similar reaction when playing them in an emulator years ago.

Davey Cakes

That was not funny at all. James needs to take a break from this for a few years and work on something else.
Well, he did take a break from regular episodes while doing the Nerd movie (which is not exactly the same thing) and he has many other side projects, like movie reviews, Monster Madness, etc.

For what it's worth, I thought this review was funny. Not really in-depth, but simple and to the point, giving a gist for the games. He doesn't approach every review in this manner.

There was plenty of swearing and uncalled for anger, which are part of the Nerd schtick.

LayLa

I used to play that Volleyball game for hours with my brother.
If you keep playing it the sun sets in the background and a shark's fin starts roaming around the top of the screen!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
IIRC Kyle Justin decided to quit the music business or stop working with James Rolfe or something. Hence the skeleton behind the couch in "Schwarzenegger Games": he won't be coming back.

But yeah, it did seem kinda jarring.

Does he have some rights over that theme and is pissed off at James? Nothing can stop the AVGN to just reuse the same theme again and again even if he decided to quit.

Fox Mulder

IIRC Kyle Justin decided to quit the music business or stop working with James Rolfe or something. Hence the skeleton behind the couch in "Schwarzenegger Games": he won't be coming back.

Kyle was in the video store memories video that went up recently.

protonion

Oh the memories!

The second golf game was pretty fun to play actually! That and the basketball game and the top down boxing one. The others were crap even for their time.

Quackula

I liked it.

I found it odd that he kinda just lumped NBA Jam in with all the other sports games.
...does he not know what NBA Jam is or something?

I mean it's a basketball game where you can leap 300 feet into the air and slam dunk a flaming basketball so hard it shatters the backboard, all while playing as Bill Clinton.

Course maybe that's the joke and it just flew over my head.

bjork

I liked it. I don't watch a lot of video reviews, so this is the first time I've seen him cover something I saw covered elsewhere first (one of the first Lazy Game Reviews was 2600 sports games), but it was still a fun episode. I need to get dvd sets 5 and 6, I love just putting these on while I'm doing stuff away from my computer.

Muffdraul

I remember playing it at Showbiz Pizza. I jumped over 3 pits and couldn't figure out if I was getting anywhere. It was terribly boring to my young mind.

Perhaps a bit too young, from the sound of it. Not to mention, some people consider Uncharted boring today.

And wait... they had an Atari 2600 set up in a pizza parlor?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

Does he have some rights over that theme and is pissed off at James? Nothing can stop the AVGN to just reuse the same theme again and again even if he decided to quit.

You guys do realize that this video went up on Cinemassacre like two weeks ago, right? Kyle Justin isn't pissed at James at all.

(Starts at 1:45 for the impatient among GAF.)

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member

You guys do realize that this video went up on Cinemassacre like two weeks ago, right? Kyle Justin isn't pissed at James at all.

(Starts at 1:45 for the impatient among GAF.)

Just to bring some more information to the copyright, here's what is in the records of the United States Copyright Office:

Type of Work: Sound Recording and Music
Registration Number / Date: SR0000401777 / 2007-01-16
Title: The angry video game nerd.
Notes: Collection.
Copyright Claimant: © ℗ on words, music, recording; Kyle Justin Rogers, 1979-
Date of Creation: 2006
Date of Publication: 2006-09-01
Copyright Note: Cataloged from appl. only.
Names: Rogers, Kyle Justin, 1979-

As if he is still making music I don't know, but he hasn't got any new copyright since 2006. On another but related topic, I also saw this:

Type of Work: Dramatic Work and Music; or Choreography
Registration Number / Date: PAu003550572 / 2011-03-21
Application Title: Angry Video Game Nerd.
Title: Angry Video Game Nerd : And the Atari Landfill.
Description: Electronic file (eService)
Copyright Claimant: Angry Video Game Nerd, LLC, Transfer: by written agreement.
Date of Creation: 2008
Authorship on Application: James Rolfe, 1980- d.b.a. Cinemassacre Productions LLC; Domicile: United States; Citizenship: United States. Authorship: text.
Kevin Finn, 1980- d.b.a. Evil Empire Entertainment LLC; Domicile: United States; Citizenship: United States. Authorship: text.
Rights and Permissions: Cinemassacre Productions LLC, PO Box 171, Narberth, PA, 19072, United States
Copyright Note: C.O. correspondence.
Names: Rolfe, James, 1980-
Finn, Kevin, 1980-
Cinemassacre Productions LLC
Evil Empire Entertainment LLC
Angry Video Game Nerd, LLC
It obviously is something related to the feature film due to the title, but I wonder what exactly it is. "And the Atari Landfill" is most likely a working title.

thefro

Rösti;45550959 said:
It obviously is something related to the feature film due to the title, but I wonder what exactly it is. "And the Atari Landfill" is most likely a working title.

Probably the working title of the script... IIRC it was written about 2008.

Registering it in 2011 as part of the movie run-up makes sense.

Also, most songwriters will only register songs with ASCAP, BMI, or SESAC, and not file a formal copyright request (since that's automatically done when you write a song).

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I miss AVGN. I hope he goes back to doing more after the movie. Great episode!

With his apparently unlimited number of shitty games, seems like he has enough to do this until he is an old man. But i doubt he'll go back to 1 episode a month.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
This was a superb episode!

I always loved Activision better than Atari first party back then. Look at how all the sports games by Activision looked better. I loved their style and games, and Pitfall 2 is still my favorite 2600 game of all time. Capcom was also like the Activision of the NES during the NES days too.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
And wait... they had an Atari 2600 set up in a pizza parlor?
Showbiz Pizza was Chuck E. Cheese's main competitor and eventually merged with them to save them from going under. Chuck E. Cheese was owned by Nolan Bushnell. The founder of Atari. Makes sense there'd be Atari games in either restaurant.

Bgamer90

Banned
Intellivision Major League Baseball was good and all, but World Series Baseball was fucking RIDICULOUS for the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-sWAnzggW4

Play-by-play voice announcing. Camera angles. 1982.

Also distantly related, in a Kevin Bacon kind of way, to the MLB2K games.

DANG.

That had to have been mindblowing at the time. Impressive considering the system that it's on.

It has better commentary than some of the Maddens from this current gen. That's sad lol.

Arjen

Wow, what a nostalgia bomb, played almost all of those games when i was young.

That was hilarious... has anyone ever played atari golf? It can't be that awful can it?

Yeah i did, tons when i was a kid.
I could get those shots on par at one point, but in hindsight, yeah it was pretty awfull.

Top Bottom