• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

Anth0ny

What's the best Christmas movie?

The 60s truly were god tier for Christmas movies/shorts:

Rudolph
Charlie Brown Christmas
The Grinch Who Stole Christmas
Frosty The Snowman
Santa Cause is Coming to Town (1970)

Damn, that's my childhood right there.

Following James' criteria, my personal favorite Christmas movies:

Best short: Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer
Modern day classic: The Santa Clause
Best all-time classic: Miracle on 34th Street
Alternate: Gremlins

OverallL Rudolph. Just watched the blu ray a couple of hours ago. So damn good.

Huh? Any idea why?

The only thing I can think of is that his account got copyright strikes way back in 2006 for the TMNT III movie review. Since YouTube's copyright stuff is completely automated now, maybe he uploaded something and got nailed by their filters.

N4Us

Yeah that's pretty weird. He got strikes for his TMNT3 review but that was wayyyyy back when (2006ish). His account got suspended once for like an hour due to a ScrewAttack mistake too later on, but that was taken care of.

VandalD

I'm seeing rumors that it was just some random asshole who decided to send in copyright claims. And since YouTube doesn't do any sort of investigation on this stuff, they just took them down. Have read that Nostalgia Critic was also hit, though I didn't know he had a YouTube any more. Again, just rumor, but it's believable enough for me. Hopefully we'll know WTF happened soon.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I'm seeing rumors that it was just some random asshole who decided to send in copyright claims. And since YouTube doesn't do any sort of investigation on this stuff, they just took them down. Have read that Nostalgia Critic was also hit, though I didn't know he had a YouTube any more. Again, just rumor, but it's believable enough for me. Hopefully we'll know WTF happened soon.

I doubt the Nostalgia Critic got taken down, he hasn't used YouTube for years. Any videos seen there are by mirrors by fans.

But the Nerd getting suspended is fucked up. I suspect the anti-Kickstarter people.

kukouri

Neo Member
I posted this over in TIGSource's forums, but I'll repeat it here, these are my findings.

"There are some sources of speculations, one that AVGN used a Metallica song in one of his videos that could be a reason for the accounts suspension, and the more prevalent one that YouTuber http://www.youtube.com/user/Tcbys1 put together a targeted attack on the channels reported them both until YouTube automated systems kicked in taking the channel temporarily down.

The video in which Tcbys1 claimed to be responsible for the removal of AVGN's channels has since been deleted."

entremet

This happens quite a bit. YT are idiots for depending on anonymous complaints.

BatDan

I posted this over in TIGSource's forums, but I'll repeat it here, these are my findings.

"There are some sources of speculations, one that AVGN used a Metallica song in one of his videos that could be a reason for the accounts suspension, and the more prevalent one that YouTuber http://www.youtube.com/user/Tcbys1 put together a targeted attack on the channels reported them both until YouTube automated systems kicked in taking the channel temporarily down.

The video in which Tcbys1 claimed to be responsible for the removal of AVGN's channels has since been deleted."

I doubt it's the Metallica video. For one, it wasn't even uploaded to YouTube, it was only on Cinemassacre.
Also, the video contains literally one second clips. Maybe not even that long. They're playing Name That Tune to test James' Metallica knowledge.

kukouri

Neo Member
My thought as well, the Metallica one seemed less likely, just a speculation that I found while looking for what the reason might be. With the channel down couldn't check if it was ever on his YouTube channels.

I personally believe is was likely the YouTuber flooding YouTubes report system with false flags.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Didn't James Youtube account got banned sometime a few years ago? I feel like i've seen this before.

Cheerilee

It's probably Nintendo because he called himself JamesNintendoNerd. There was a reason he stopped doing that. NeoGAF even changed the title of this thread. He should have ditched the account when people started complaining about the "James" part.

(kidding)

Darklord

Banned

That's illegal too I think. Like when Sega went nuts over copyright claims of a 15 year old game, even hitting videos that had nothing to do with it.

-KRS-

You can feedback troll google stuff way too easily and it sounds like james is another victim of a few idiots.

We should all start reporting videos of other famous youtubers and internet celebrities for copyright infringement to get them all banned. I would assume there would be a huge uproar about that. Then perhaps google would start to listen, and understand that some accounts should never be automatically banned. Like if an account has more than a certain number of subscribers they should be excempt from this shit and instead require some actual human being to look at the complaint, or something.

BatDan

We should all start reporting videos of other famous youtubers and internet celebrities for copyright infringement to get them all banned. I would assume there would be a huge uproar about that. Then perhaps google would start to listen, and understand that some accounts should never be automatically banned. Like if an account has more than a certain number of subscribers they should be excempt from this shit and instead require some actual human being to look at the complaint, or something.

I don't think that will happen. A lot of the bigger partners are protected from flaggings like that.
A shame since a few of them deserve it, like Shane Dawson and his constant rape jokes. He's made several and nobody bats an eyelash.

In the xbox 1 days if you were at the top of the time attack leaderboards on forza 1 someone would use a bunch of trial codes and make accounts, report you and you got banned from live.

so stupid.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
JamesNintendoNerd and Cinemassacre accounts are back.

252547_o.gif

X-Factor

The guy that did the Dark Souls review was a bad player. He said you have to attack Asylum Demon head on and that it was impossible to not get hurt.

Asylum Demon can easily be killed by running or dodging so you get behind him. He will never get a hit on you when you are behind him.

He also said a bunch of incorrect things too.
That Dark Souls review is spot on.

Here's something awesome, James and Mike play a working Atari Jaguar CD. A rare find. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fezuYstS0Q8

A working Jaguar CD is indeed a rare sight. Between the defective lens, the defective motor, and the defective lid, it's like an engineer wanted to shove as many design defects as possible into a single add-on.

A few years ago, Spoony did an in-depth review of the Highlander game, and the game manages to get worse (
Snipers, no ending, no boss battles, stupid fetch "puzzles," etc.
). Allegedly, one of the developers left a comment for that video, it's worth a read to get an idea of how crappy the Jag CD was from a dev perspective:

chrisky2 • a year ago

I worked for Lore Design during the development of the game. (I did some of the tools, including the 3D maths converting the motion capture data into animations used by the rendering engine, which was quite new at the time.) We were a bunch of 24-year-olds who were keen, but relatively inexperienced. We were getting pulled every which way by the producers, so to be frank, it's was a miracle the game was shipped at all. Seriously, we weren't particularly enamoured with the fact that the game had to be based on the cartoon. My colleagues and I quite liked the original film. The cartoon was just wrong. And the storyboard for the game didn't come together well. I believed you picked up on that.

God alone knows where the funding came from. (Ok. my boss at the time, Steve Mitchell, would know, too.) It was the last game produced by Lore Design - the company folded shortly after the game shipped.

The Jaguar CD platform was quite buggy, and ever so resource-constrained. This had significant bearing on the style of the game. And it wasn't as if there was the Quake engine or similar you could buy in for the Atari Jaguar CD - everything had to be coded by hand, from scratch.

I remember joking with Paul C, the chap who did the 'music', that his painstakingly-crafted 2-second loops "didn't really go anywhere". He spent ages on them, and was chomping at the bit to do something that didn't go back to the start after a few seconds. We were toying with the idea of writing a small wavetable synthesis engine, but there wasn't enough RAM or CPU to do that, without compromising the graphics. Paul almost went nuts crafting those looping tracks. Poor sod.

Needless to say, many of us drank significantly during the development. Dunno if that was cause or effect.

Excellent review of yours, though. All entirely fair comments.

Thanks for going to all the trouble of getting the footage. Viewing it brought back plenty of memories.

Kudos to you.

Does he have some rights over that theme and is pissed off at James? Nothing can stop the AVGN to just reuse the same theme again and again even if he decided to quit.

Didn't Kyle Justin appear with Rolfe and Matei in a recent video? The game rental one I think.

Here's something awesome, James and Mike play a working Atari Jaguar CD. A rare find. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fezuYstS0Q8
Hoverstrike and Battlemorph look like they could be good games, I think that they just hate that kind of game. They're not railed like Star Fox, they're freeroam games with more thought required... don't bash them simply because of their genre. (Battlemorph's draw distance isn't good, but other than that...)

BatDan

A working Jaguar CD is indeed a rare sight. Between the defective lens, the defective motor, and the defective lid, it's like an engineer wanted to shove as many design defects as possible into a single add-on.

A few years ago, Spoony did an in-depth review of the Highlander game, and the game manages to get worse (
Snipers, no ending, no boss battles, stupid fetch "puzzles," etc.
). Allegedly, one of the developers left a comment for that video, it's worth a read to get an idea of how crappy the Jag CD was from a dev perspective:

Wow, that's quite a story. Everything about the CD add-on was a disaster.

Hoverstrike and Battlemorph look like they could be good games, I think that they just hate that kind of game. They're not railed like Star Fox, they're freeroam games with more thought required... don't bash them simply because of their genre. (Battlemorph's draw distance isn't good, but other than that...)

Keep in mind, the Jaguar had a really shitty controller. That probably didn't help things out.

Can I tell you how much I love your avatar?

Also, I agree wtih your statement here. The games just seemed less obvious than things on other platforms.

But seriously, that draw distance makes the game anti fun.

Top Bottom