• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I liked the Angry Video Game Nerd back when he was actually angry. Everything sounds so forced and scripted now. It's just not funny at all.

So I called an old friend, none other than the Nerd’s “guitar guy”. I wrote Kyle into the script. The script still sucked, but I had good faith that he would be able to ad-lib and improve on my mediocrity. Also, with Mike in the room filming and suggesting ideas, it helped fuel the creative process. The songs Kyle sang were improvised entirely without any rehearsing. It was so spontaneous that doing another take only resulted in a different song. That’s why you see me laughing. There’s no other takes to use. It was probably the most improvisational AVGN video since Spiderman.

Lol?

Kyle's songs had me rollin! I had tears in my eyes. It just got more and more absurd and I'm a sucker for improv stuff. Also, I recently had a marathon session finishing the Arcade version of Ikari Warriors so I could totally feel their pain. NES version seems like it is actually harder in some ways since you can't continue in the last stage without cheating and bullets passing through enemies... What was up with that game? And that
corpse at the end always freaks me out. I wonder if they were trying to resurrect Hitler or something.

Drencrom

Great episode, loved the improv and the quips they made

"These pink, motherfucking taaaa-aaanks~ They're making love to all the scrotum guns"

Mixed feelings about the episode. Some things were funny, but most wasn't. And it was way too long. It didn't look like James enjoyed making it, and if he doesn't like to do it I really think he should stop doing the nerd episodes and do something he enjoys more.

His thoughts about the new episode says otherwise

http://cinemassacre.com/2013/03/06/notes-about-avgn-episode-110/

Teppic

Mixed feelings about the episode. Some things were funny, but most wasn't. And it was way too long. It didn't look like James enjoyed making it, and if he doesn't like to do it I really think he should stop doing the nerd episodes and do something he enjoys more.

In contrast, just watched the latest episode of Board James for the first time. Now this is really funny!
http://cinemassacre.com/2012/11/19/board-james-shark-attack/

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
James seemed really laid back this episode. Weird, but Mike stole the show. His performing, especially "where did the hair go" was hilarious! Kind of a different episode, but still funny, albeit because of Mike this time.

dead guy behind a desk ranks among the likes of marauder shields.

1pFLDSG.jpg

The episode got better as time progressed. I laughed a lot at the end.

In contrast, just watched the latest episode of Board James for the first time. Now this is really funny!
http://cinemassacre.com/2012/11/19/board-james-shark-attack/

He was laughing his ass off with the last before the credits song of Justin. You can hear him laughing, and theres one time the camera shows his face and he is trying to put the controller on his face so you couldnt se he was laughing. Im pretty sure he was having a great time.

James sure loves his low depth of field on his camera! But pretty great episode overall, I did laugh at the general Kawasaki ending, and the music improve was great.

Davey Cakes

I did like how some of the banter between James and Kyle felt really genuine. Like, the kinds of things you'd actually say while playing a game like that together.

Nice ep. Not my favorite but it was a nice callback to previous episodes with Kyle, such as the Battletoads one.

OH GOD IKARI WARRIORS!

I played that game a lot in the very early NES days. Truly a piece of shit.

I see the Nerd's hair is thinning. I know that feel.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I did like how some of the banter between James and Kyle felt really genuine. Like, the kinds of things you'd actually say while playing a game like that together.

Nice ep. Not my favorite but it was a nice callback to previous episodes with Kyle, such as the Battletoads one.

Battletoads is still one of my favorite eps.

This one was good too. Counter intuitively, I think the eps might be better if he put less work in.

Best part was him breaking the 4th wall to acknowledge that he wasn't using the theme song because he thought people were tired of it lol

I didn't crack a smile once.
The improve sucked, and was nothing more than a 4th grader could come up with in those stupid songs.

"Ha ha, he said hairy scrotum. Pure gold." Give me a break. You would have to be 10 to find this funny.

The nerd was not the nerd he was just James. He wasn't angry and didn't pick the game apart with fury as he usually does.

This was a horrible episode. I say if he doesn't have the time to give it his all, he shouldn't do it at all.

one_kill

The improve sucked, and was nothing more than a 4th grader could come up with in those stupid songs.

"Ha ha, he said hairy scrotum. Pure gold." Give me a break. You would have to be 10 to find this funny.

The nerd was not the nerd he was just James. He wasn't angry and didn't pick the game apart with fury as he usually does.

This was a horrible episode. I say if he doesn't have the time to give it his all, he shouldn't do it at all.
lol ok.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?

Pretty much of all James' humor is juvenile. I mean the guy makes up silly swear word phrases. How is this much different? It's pretty typical AVGN material but without the shouting.

No fun patrol over here.

The episode started out well, but by the end there was WAY too much of it with just music... less somewhat annoying music and more episode would have been good. Other than that though, it was mostly good, and had some funny parts.

The thing that made the nerds swearing and potty humor so funny was the way he strung together absurd, over the top ridiculous rage induced tirades together.

It wasn't the words themselves exactly, but the venom in his emotion and the delivery combined with the unrealistic challenges the games he was playing were posing him.

This just felt like a waste of time. Saying a bunch of dirty words isn't funny on its own. It has to be written and constructed in a way that can be presented as funny, when combined with the situation.

edit: Go back and watch my personal favorite, his TMNT review. It was great, because he kept his character, and had wonderful delivery. He made you feel what he felt. He said things you would love to say, but is a much over intensified way.

This kind of show is just not the kind of show that just doesn't work improv.

The thing that made the nerds swearing and potty humor so funny was the way he strung together absurd, over the top ridiculous rage induced tirades together.

It wasn't the words themselves exactly, but the venom in his emotion and the delivery combined with the unrealistic challenges the games he was playing were posing him.

This just felt like a waste of time. Saying a bunch of dirty words isn't funny on its own. It has to be written and constructed in a way that can be presented as funny, when combined with the situation.
I couldn't agree more.

Soup Bar

It was cool to see the guy behind the couch again. Also the improv singing was great. Has there been an update on the movie recently?

Davey Cakes

I do enjoy some of the word-stringing he did in the earlier episodes. Some of it seemed really genuine. Even though there are obviously scripted events in the Friday the 13th review, for example, it's still funny when the Nerd looks, doesn't see Jason around, and starts spewing a bunch of shit about the game. That's one of my favorite eps.

However, I enjoyed this last episode as a "toned down Nerd" one. For a while now James has been playing the character in different ways, going between full-swearing mode and more pure reviewer mode. The Ikari Warriors review was more of a thorough review of the game, and instead of going on tirades, James enlisted Kyle as a side character to poke fun in other ways. It worked.

There's room for all styles of Nerd episodes, in my opinion.

Wait a minute. Shooting the guys is pointless, the only way to progress is scroll the screen forward, the game is ripped off of popular movies, climbing in a tank makes you more susceptible to death...

Holy shit, it's a Call of Duty game.

Most accurate Youtube comment ever :lol

Jobbs

Banned
I am a big fan of AVGN, and I love the higher quality production, but I must say the writing seemed a bit weak in terms of the kyle banter. I'd prefer some kyle, but not quite as much.

I was also really hoping they'd go into Ikari Warriors 2, since that was so memorable to me as a child. "Come on, let's fight!" (I think?)

If you want to see better use of Kyle, check out the battletoads video. James screaming at him at the start was great, too -- Such anger.

Maybe it's hard to be angry for AVGN videos when you're rich.

Top Bottom