• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
This episode sucked. It didn't have the soul previous videos have.
I do agree it lacked soul on James' part. In this case Mike (or Kyle or whatever the hipster-couch-guitar-playing guy's name is) stole the show with his song. It was actually funny. But James seemed way too laid back and scripted, like he had no energy. I've been watching AVGN for years now and probably would consider myself a fan, so I do wish he would go back to being more spontaneous and just keep the old, lower quality video style.

I remember that talk happening before the fricking Battletoads ep, it came back?!
I can't imagine why anyone would think that at that point in the series.

Personally, I'd thought there might be one after A) hearsay to that effect and B) a notable absence of him singing the theme song, turning him into a skeleton behind the couch, etc. I'm glad this episode thoroughly set me straight and dispelled that notion.

Fox Mulder

Personally, I'd thought there might be one after A) hearsay to that effect and B) a notable absence of him singing the theme song, turning him into a skeleton behind the couch, etc. I'm glad this episode thoroughly set me straight and dispelled that notion.

I guess people only watch the Avgn videos, as Kyle was in a video James did about his VHS collection around the same time everyone was saying they weren't BFFs anymore.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Well even then when he showed up he said "And you're playing my theme less and less..." and starts mock-crying, I figured that was a clear jab at the people who believed LESS THEME SONG = THEY HATE EACH OTHER!!!

totowhoa

Banned
Thought the episode was pretty good. It started out pretty dull, but after about seven or eight minutes it got a lot better. I definitely don't mind AVGN changing his schtick up a bit (I always hated when he went too over-the-top, and I really liked a lot of his more calm episodes where he just discusses the game). This episode just feels uncomfortably in the middle, a bit like it has an identity crisis... it's obviously meant to be like the more over-the-top episodes, but it doesn't have the tone really. Either way I look forward to his next one. It's been nice to see him back in action, as rare is it may be.

Aiii

So not worth it
Wasn't too amazing and the HD camera made everything look so crisp it took me quite some time to get used to it. I guess I'm just used to shitty quality videos. Either that or I'm getting too old for this new technology.

But the song at the end made up for the whole thing, that was great. I'm gonna be singing "Where did their hair go?" for the rest of the day.

TheD

The Detective
I got to also say that this ep did nothing for me, Not having the intro and the lack of crazy rant made it not feel like an AVGN ep.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I enjoyed the episode for the sheer fact that it was a new episode, and I haven't seen one in a long time. This wasn't the best episode as far as classic AVGN videos go. It has its ups and downs but overall was worth the watch. "Where did their hair go?" good stuff. I enjoyed it, but it was not classic Nerd.

Fjordson

Loved this episode. Reminded me of when he and Kyle played Battle Toads.

Also, singing the shitty ending screen to the tune of the AVGN theme was great :lol

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
This episode didn't feel very "AVGN" to me. I don't know if its the lack of super angry rants, the fact that he wasn't alone, the fact the other guy would never stop singing, or that it felt more like "James and Kyle having fun with a shitty game" than a AVGN episode.

Probably the latter i guess.

Varg

Banned
For me it was a really good episode. The super nice quality of the new camera feels weird to me, but it's just something I have will have to get used with. I did Laugh out loud numerous times just remembering this being one of the first games I've played on the NES growing up. Really glad he acknowledged that he was wrong about the fans getting tired of the theme song. Hope it returns in every episode from now on.

jett

D-Member
I didn't crack a smile once.
The improve sucked, and was nothing more than a 4th grader could come up with in those stupid songs.

"Ha ha, he said hairy scrotum. Pure gold." Give me a break. You would have to be 10 to find this funny.

The nerd was not the nerd he was just James. He wasn't angry and didn't pick the game apart with fury as he usually does.

This was a horrible episode. I say if he doesn't have the time to give it his all, he shouldn't do it at all.

I thought it was just boring as hell to be honest.

Riddler

For me it was a really good episode. The super nice quality of the new camera feels weird to me, but it's just something I have will have to get used with. I did Laugh out loud numerous times just remembering this being one of the first games I've played on the NES growing up. Really glad he acknowledged that he was wrong about the fans getting tired of the theme song. Hope it returns in every episode from now on.

This is why I loved the episode and how at first I went solo and did a weekend in co-op with a friend getting to the 4th level with only the respawn code.

All the same glitches killing us or forcing a restart(stuck in rock and those pipes)

Glad to finally see the last boss and ending after all these years.

dsGPo0I.gif

Keep Kyle, ditch Mike. Mike just is annoying as hes just like such a tag along person who just agrees with anything the Nerd says. He has no personality or actual character to bring to the videos.

eXistor

I liked it, it felt very improvised and while I don't think that's his strong point, it does work infectious. I'm glad James has returned to the warmer colors in this video, I really didn't like the cold, blue-ishness of the last few videos.

Really didn`t like this episode, which is a shame because I LOVE the James/Kyle Battletoads episode.

It's WAY too long, and there's really not much to say about the game at all. I really feel like the choice of Ikari Warriors was not smart as it didn't LEAD into much comedy at all, unlike Battletoads.

I still really like Kyle's/James chemisty, feels so much more natural and funny than James and Mike.

one_kill

What's with all the Mike hate? He doesn't often appear in AVGN videos and he's good when he does appear (Batman, The Wizard of Oz, Nightmare on Elm Street). As for videos of him and James or his solo ones, I think they're mostly okay. Not as good as James', sure; but not horrible either.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
The episode started out well, but by the end there was WAY too much of it with just music... less somewhat annoying music and more episode would have been good. Other than that though, it was mostly good, and had some funny parts.

Agreed, I think the Micronics-developed Ikari Warriors is a great game for the Nerd to showcase, but the episode dragged on a bit too long (like the game's levels!) and Kyle's singing got very grating by the end of it.

wrowa

I thought it was a pretty good episode actually. The chemistry between Kyle and James was great and I'd love him to make more episodes with a sidekick. It gave the episode a very distinct feel compared to his other episodes. Liked it.

Also, where did your hair go?

While not laugh out loud funny, I actually really enjoyed this episode. I liked the loose vibe to the whole thing. It wouldn't work for multiple episodes, but James and Kyle just fucking around after the first half was fun.

Top Bottom