• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

Here's the full list for the lazy.

20. Big Mode in Predator
19. "Saddam was here" graffiti in Dark Castle
18. "Kill all babies" from Exodus in Bible Games 2
17. Naked batter in Real Sports Baseball
16. The farm with a dinosaur stepping on a space shuttle in the C64 Transformers game
15. "E.T. Go Come"
14. Wall Pork Chops in Castlevania
13. Noah only herding cows and goats for the ark in Super Noah's Ark 3D
12. Scotsman shooting fireballs from under his kilt in Kasumi Ninja
11. Fred Fuchs
10. Storm Over the Desert from Action 52
9. Weird spellings in Castlevania 1 credits
8. Ryu's repeated "What the...?" and a suggestive looking scene from Ninja Gaiden
7. Talking Statue of Liberty in Superman
6. Timewarp Tickers from Action 52
5. Temple of Doom's (NES) screwed up perspective
4. Turning Murdock into a frog in Rambo (NES)
3. Returning King Kong to the Empire State Building in Mario is Missing
2. Bird shit and the pissing fountain from Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde
1. Plumbers Don't Wear Ties. Just... Plumbers Don't Wear Ties

Balb

Here's the full list for the lazy.

20. Big Mode in Predator
19. "Saddam was here" graffiti in Dark Castle
18. "Kill all babies" from Exodus in Bible Games 2
17. Naked batter in Real Sports Baseball
16. The farm with a dinosaur stepping on a space shuttle in the C64 Transformers game
15. "E.T. Go Come"
14. Wall Pork Chops in Castlevania
13. Noah only herding cows and goats for the ark in Super Noah's Ark 3D
12. Scotsman shooting fireballs from under his kilt in Kasumi Ninja
11. Fred Fuchs
10. Storm Over the Desert from Action 52
9. Weird spellings in Castlevania 1 credits
8. Ryu's repeated "What the...?" and a suggestive looking scene from Ninja Gaiden
7. Talking Statue of Liberty in Superman
6. Timewarp Tickers from Action 52
5. Temple of Doom's (NES) screwed up perspective
4. Turning Murdock into a frog in Rambo (NES)
3. Returning King Kong to the Empire State Building in Mario is Missing
2. Bird shit and the pissing fountain from Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde
1. Plumbers Don't Wear Ties. Just... Plumbers Don't Wear Ties

I don't know why but the Fred Fuchs bit gets me everytime. It's such a simple and stupid joke but it works.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm surprised that
Darth Vader turning into a scorpion from the Star Wars episode
didn't make it in.

I still don't see what's wrong with Deadly Towers's audio. There's a lot wrong with that game, but the jaunty little medieval tune never seemed like one (outside of its repetitiveness, I suppose).

That game looks go...

SVW4Dxl.jpg

kobe-hilariously-confused-reaction-gif.gif

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
That wasn't bad actually. He really didn't digress as much into self-wankery as I feared he would.

Fred Fuchs lol

I enjoyed that episode. :D

His game looks really cool but I doubt I would be good enough to play it properly lol. Will still purchase if it gets a Wii U release though!

Can't believe how long its been since I've been watching the Nerd, his theme still gets me humming along with it. Top tune.

I had no idea there were so many fan made games based on the Nerd. Haha at the Mega Man 2 hack.. and board James... great episode.

Fred Fucks!

kuppy

The Giant Claw reference was glorious specially when he draw the pattern on the map.

And yes, it was kind of forced as promotion, but still a good episode.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It's unfortunate that this is a 10 minute soft-ball look at a bunch of shitty fan games and then 10+ minutes of advertising for a game he profits from.

thefro

It's unfortunate that this is a 10 minute soft-ball look at a bunch of shitty fan games and then 10+ minutes of advertising for a game he profits from.

That's true, but I found it entertaining for how meta the whole thing was and how he was trying to keep the Nerd a separate character.

What an awesome episode. It's very entertaining. I personally don't mind it being a commercial since I've been curious about getting this game anyway.

Mike Plays Super Mario 3D World (pt 1) (around 20 minutes)
Mike Plays Super Mario 3D World (pt 2) and Zelda Link Between Worlds (23 minutes)

Pretty funny to see Mike play these... he seems to miss some stuff like how the bell is the power up for the cat suit. I don't necessarily agree with him that ZLBW is long over due, but his videos are pretty decent since there isn't a quick look up on Giant Bomb of either of these yet afaik (whoops, spoke to soon they have them up now!). Worth a watch if you don't mind Mike.

:/

It would be weird if he didn't put together a video like this. Maybe he should have let his fans record themselves and put together a clip show style review of everyone's comments, but this isn't a bad way to do things. Besides, we don't know what the profit breakdown is between him, the developer, and screw attack.

Odrion

Banned
We've officially reached the ultra-meta point. The Angry Video Game Nerd reviews... AVGN video games! http://cinemassacre.com/2013/11/19/avgn-avgn-games/
Holy shit, Freakzone games made The Angry Videogame Nerd Adventures?! Freakzone use to be this guy that made Nintendo parody games with Klikteam software in the 2000s, I played the hell out of his games as a kid. And I know it's that Freakzone, because on the website he still has that little weird frog mascot. He seemingly vanished back a decade ago, really weird that he resurfaced like that.

FUUUUUUUCK that's really weird. Well, time to buy his game to repay him for all those free hours I guess.

Tripon

Mike complains about the White Tanooki Suit in SM3DW
http://cinemassacre.com/2013/11/25/super-mario-3d-world-white-tanooki-suit/

*sighs* It's bad enough he's complaining about something optional, but the comments crying "I'm not buying this game now" disgust me. Some people really need to grow up (including Mike).

Its not for you Mike. This is just a video with a misplaced perspective. Besides, Nintendo has it in the 2D Mario games with the Super Guide, and more hilariously the Luigi Guide in NSMBU.

bjork

*sighs* It's bad enough he's complaining about something optional, but the comments crying "I'm not buying this game now" disgust me. Some people really need to grow up (including Mike).

It seems so weird that he didn't plug into why a bell is the cat's power-up icon, still.

And yeah, bitching about something optional seems kind of strange. At least he does point out that you don't have to use it, but to be so annoyed that you make a video out of it... AVGN is joke character, but is Mike the genuine article?

danmaku

It seems so weird that he didn't plug into why a bell is the cat's power-up icon, still.

And yeah, bitching about something optional seems kind of strange. At least he does point out that you don't have to use it, but to be so annoyed that you make a video out of it... AVGN is joke character, but is Mike the genuine article?

His point is that kids will use it for sure, because they just want easy wins. If you force them to play the game the "right way", they will get the best out of it, if you don't, they may have some fun but they'll miss what makes Mario special. Kinda like including infinite continues in a shmup: sure, you can choose not to use them, but most people will, and then they'll complain the game is short and it lacks depth and challenge.

bjork

His point is that kids will use it for sure, because they just want easy wins. If you force them to play the game the "right way", they will get the best out of it, if you don't, they may have some fun but they'll miss what makes Mario special. Kinda like including infinite continues in a shmup: sure, you can choose not to use them, but most people will, and then they'll complain the game is short and it lacks depth and challenge.

I'd argue that anyone who's a kid today was born too late to experience what makes Mario special, anyway. I also don't know that they care about the right way in the age of save states and whatnot.

I remember some GameFan/EGM beef about Strider 2 having infinite continues. But liek you say, no one is forced to use them. I dunno. :shrug:

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

I really like Mike, which is why I seriously disliked this video. He's better than that, he should know better than to complain about a completely optional feature that hurts nobody. I see no difference between the White Tanooki Suit and using god mode in old games, except that god mode was usually hidden behind a code (but once you learned the cheat code, it was basically the same).

If people want to beat the game without effort, why shouldn't they? How does that affect anybody?

Top Bottom