• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Unfortunately.

The top comment I saw before it got deleted was "Someone change the password and don't tell Mike".
Their loss. I think Mike is a very cool guy, and I really like watching his reviews/impressions and drawing videos, as well as the ones where he shows different glitches.

He's not James, and I like him that way. I also like James, and the good thing is I don't have to choose between any of them: I can appreciate both!

Alien 3 episode wasn't bad, but it really solidified what I've been feeling from the Nerd since he started working on the movie and was going to end the series, if not earlier. The whole thing feels rote now. The episodes are okay, but there's so little new ground left for the character/show to cover that it feels like a lot of the time scenes could just be ganked from an "AVGN generator" with the appropriate game name filled in. The material is solid, but it seems like it's just going through the motions, like we've been there before.

That's not to detract from the effort I'm sure he's still putting into the episodes. I don't want to seem like I'm accusing him of phoning it in or anything, because I'm certain that's not the case. It just feels like there's not much more to do with the Angry Video Game Nerd. It's had a good, long run.

Sweet, didn't see this until today. The review was pretty good. Not as good as the Tiger Electronics one, but it still got a few good laughs out of me (
The music and lighting change when he sees LGN and the glory hole joke
).

I still can't get over that people don't like Mike. There probably wouldn't even be an AVGN with him and James and Mike Play have been the best videos Cinemassacre has had lately (even better than AVGN episodes).

TheContact

Sweet, didn't see this until today. The review was pretty good. Not as good as the Tiger Electronics one, but it still got a few good laughs out of me (
The music and lighting change when he sees LGN and the glory hole joke
).

I still can't get over that people don't like Mike. There probably wouldn't even be an AVGN with him and James and Mike Play have been the best videos Cinemassacre has had lately (even better than AVGN episodes).

Mike does a better job in costume. I just don't like his personality watching him play games with James, seems like now he just wants some money by selling the t shirts

Ithil

Their loss. I think Mike is a very cool guy, and I really like watching his reviews/impressions and drawing videos, as well as the ones where he shows different glitches.

He's not James, and I like him that way. I also like James, and the good thing is I don't have to choose between any of them: I can appreciate both!

Mike isn't charismatic like James is, it makes him out of place when just on camera as himself. He's better when playing some wacky costumed character.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
The MegaDrive version of Alien 3 was awesome (Even the Master System version was better than the NES one)

I loved playing the Mega Drive one as a kid. The later levels got hard as fuck.

The SNES game was completely different and really good as well.

Timu

In his Alien 3 NES review, I'm surprised he didn't see the prisoner number counter that flashes in the same spot as the timer.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Since there's no official OT for AVGN Adventures, I thought I'd post this tidbit here.

Look who decided to throw their hat into the ring with a shitty iOS sidescroller:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfUj6c4hmUg

My word it looks bad.

On-topic: James is covering George Romero's "Dead" movies for the end of Monster Madness.

AcridMeat

Banned
Damn that irate gamer game looks awful.
Alien 3 episode wasn't bad, but it really solidified what I've been feeling from the Nerd since he started working on the movie and was going to end the series, if not earlier. The whole thing feels rote now. The episodes are okay, but there's so little new ground left for the character/show to cover that it feels like a lot of the time scenes could just be ganked from an "AVGN generator" with the appropriate game name filled in. The material is solid, but it seems like it's just going through the motions, like we've been there before.

That's not to detract from the effort I'm sure he's still putting into the episodes. I don't want to seem like I'm accusing him of phoning it in or anything, because I'm certain that's not the case. It just feels like there's not much more to do with the Angry Video Game Nerd. It's had a good, long run.
I felt that for this episode, but I haven't felt that for a lot of the recent episodes. I think the last handful have been great. This was definitely more of a "going through the motions" deal. I don't hold it against him though. There were still some well done things about it.

Since there's no official OT for AVGN Adventures, I thought I'd post this tidbit here.

Look who decided to throw their hat into the ring with a shitty iOS sidescroller:

My word it looks bad.

On-topic: James is covering George Romero's "Dead" movies for the end of Monster Madness.

Does he have a single video where the comments don't eventually boil down to an argument of which came first, him or AVGN?

But yeah, that game looks terrible.

Makai

My word it looks bad.

He even ripped off AVGN's game tie-in. This has to be some serious performance art.

Good lord at the death animation loop at 1:40. He purposefully showcased that. What was he thinking?!

BatDan

Top 10 Worst Video Game Controls (that he's played on the show).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua2uFq0N15I

10. Action 52
9. Terminator 2 (SNES)
8. Kid Kool
7. Toxic Crusaders (NES)
6. Spider-Man: Return of the Sinister Six
5. Batman Forever (SNES)
4. Zelda: Wand of Gamelon
3. Conan (NES)
2. Winter Games (NES)
1 .Dark Castle (Genesis and CDI)

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
You sure have played some shit if Action 52 is last on any top ten list you make.

Man the Batman Video was awesome.

The games aren't a vehicle to look at the character, the character is a vehicle to look at the games.

BatDan

Jawmuncher

Alien 3 review was pretty meh.
But I loved how even he mentions that the review is nothing but a cash-in for Monster Madness. Thus I forgive the review a bit since he stated it's true cause.
Wish he would've looked at the other versions of the games at least though.

BatDan

Top 10 WORST NES Games (that the Nerd as played).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAhp4LO07aY

10. Sunday Funday
9. Kid Kool
8, Back to the Future 2 & 3
7. Ghostbusters
6. Little Red Hood
5. Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
4. Conan
3. Action 52
2. Cheetahmen 2
1. Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde

#1 is obvious.

bjork

These clip collections would be cooler if I didn't still run through the dvds every couple months or so.

You think the movie will be where he ends the series? I'm kind of getting that vibe.

BatDan

Man, he's really cranking out these clip collections.
Top 10 Epic Nerd Moments. http://cinemassacre.com/2013/11/10/top-10-epic-nerd-moments/

10. Die Hard (the explosive finale)
9. Spider-Man (Spider-Man destroying two of the games)
8. Frankenstein (the creation of FrankenNerd and the battle at the end)
7. Jaguar Part 2 (Nerd and Kitty vs. Jaguar Cube)
6. Ninja Gaiden (The Ninja kicks ass and training montage)
5. A Christmas Carol (The Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come shows Old Man Nerd and his death)
4. Nintendo World Championships (the reveal of the real cartridges)
3. Crazy Castle (Nerd vs Bugs Bunny then Woody Woodpecker)
2. Super Mario Bros. 3 (Nerd and SMDC2K vs. the Devil)
1. R.O.B. (Nerd vs. R.O.B.)

These clip collections would be cooler if I didn't still run through the dvds every couple months or so.

You think the movie will be where he ends the series? I'm kind of getting that vibe.

I would like to see him do some more SNES and Genesis games and onto PS1, Saturn, and N64 stuff. But yeah he probably wants to move on to doing other things. He can always go back to doing more AVGN episodes if his career doesn't take off, but I could see him gradually become the internet-age Kevin Smith.

My word it looks bad.

"And the icing on the cake here is that you'll be hearing my voice pop in through out this game"

"Ah crap"

Perfect.

Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-JuSjq25GM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

It's a video of Mike beating Mike.

Shitty video. Who the fuck was Bootsy? James says he was the expert but he was only there because he knew the code to get to Tyson which they could've found on the internet. I also find Motherfucker Mike incredibly annoying. He just seems like the neighbor who wanted to be your friend because you had an NES.

Try starting from the beginning Mike and see if you can still beat it!

Top Bottom