• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

TheYanger

Eh, these are pretty bad complaints against the video IMO. It's obvious he hasn't played a 3d Sonic, sure, sonic 3 definitely didn't home in the same way not even comparable. The simple truth is that anyone who has played adventure and whatnot probably takes homing attacks for granted, for instance. He definitely just missed that text box, but the 'PRESS A TO JUMP' literally the second he has to hit it? he read that, and failed it. Would you or I have? perhaps not, but it PROBABLY should have popped up more than a split second before you had to do it, legit complaint imo.

Eh, these are pretty bad complaints against the video IMO. It's obvious he hasn't played a 3d Sonic

Forget not playing a 3D Sonic before- he is so inept, it's like he isn't familiar with playing 3D games in general. Someone who grew up with games like he did should have to try to suck that bad. This is coming from an AVGN fan.

TheYanger

ehh....I'd agree if this were most 3d games, but sonic 06 camera and controls are so touchy and bad that a lot of the jerky movements he's making are made by most people the first time they pick it up.

ehh....I'd agree if this were most 3d games, but sonic 06 camera and controls are so touchy and bad that a lot of the jerky movements he's making are made by most people the first time they pick it up.

I think every time he started, he turns around and runs back instead of just going forward haha. Honestly, it was hard to get a read on what the game was like because he was so inept. Mike was even badgering him.

To be fair, even for someone like myself who has played almost all of the other 3D Sonic games, '06 is still an unplayable broken mess.

There are so many moments where it isn't clear what you're supposed to do, but deviating in any way will get you killed. Horrific game-design in every sense of the word.

I even attempted to go back to the game a few years after completing it (no I don't know why). It went about as poorly as James' experience.

OmahaG8

Just watched the video. It was like watching my kid nephews play games, and not stepping in to help them, because they're young and there's no point in trying.

Sorry, AVGN became shit after going HD

Wheres the passion? The real anger? Oh I tell you where they are, watch AVGN Batman, dracula, battletoads etc etc

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Man, it'd be really cool to look at those old toy catalogs just to see what the popular "gifts" were like. & OMG I had that Super Mario Bros. sleeping bag that he was talking about.

& wow, a bunch of Sonic games are covered as well, even Shadow The Hedgehog. Though a shame they were kind of glanced over...

I also remember renting Where's Waldo on SNES once....it wasn't fun.

xemumanic

No anger? I dunno about all that, one of his best lines came was since he went HD, the Atari Sports episode where he goes off on the simple title "Football":

"All right. If I'm gonna play some sports games, I gotta start... with the Atari 2600. Yeah! This is when sports games were fucking sports games. Look at these titles! "Baseball", "Basketball", "Football"... Not this "Madden" shit. Just plain-ass, normal, everyday, no question about it, no NFL, no year, not named after a player, not named after a coach, not named after the referee's pet goldfish, no quarterback, dime-back, Nickelback, simple, ordinary, unembellished, unmistakable, crystal clear, as frank as Frankenstein, as blunt as an atom bomb, one compound word: it's mother fucking, God damned, sons-of-bitchin', fuck-fuck-fucking FOOTBALL! (slams cartridge into the system)"

Thanks to the AVGN Wiki for the transcription so I could quote.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, he's not getting worse. The passion is still there (and more evident than ever if you ask me), and he got mostly rid of the shitty sketchy episodes like the Bugs Bunny ones. Yeah he's gotten more mellow, but it's still as entertaining as ever imo.

Oh dear god. The video with him and Mike playing Sonic '06 is priceless. I know the game is terrible from reading what people have said about it online and I've seen a couple of cut scene videos. My God, that game is FUCKING TERRIBLE! I thought Dead Rising 2 had some unforgiveable loading screens, but this game takes the fucking cake.

What makes this video even greater is the $31 USED sticker on the case.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Fuck me! Seriously, the video on Cinemassacre is shit and it skips every now and then. The YouTube version barely will play at all. I have a 20mbps down Internet connection and no problems watching Hulu (which I did a few minutes ago), etc.

WTF is up with these crappy video services?

YouTube is a disaster of epic proportions lately. I'm lucky to get a video to play in the last week or two. Maybe the geniuses at YT should look into fixing their fucking piece of shit player instead of worrying so much about copyright. When the fuck does copyright matter when you can't even play the fucking video to begin with!?

Lothar

Banned
Sorry, AVGN became shit after going HD

Wheres the passion? The real anger? Oh I tell you where they are, watch AVGN Batman, dracula, battletoads etc etc

The thing is I think those earlier games were the ones that pissed him off tremendously as a kid. It was easy to go back to those emotions like he was playing the game for the first time. Those were the games that he probably saved up money for and then just frustrated the hell out of him for days. The same thing happened to me. It was cathartic seeing rip apart Ghostbusters and Milon's Secret Castle. I remember having miserable days playing those and other NES games.

Now he's mostly doing requests. He has never had any real anger with these. It's unavoidable.

However I think they're still great, still makes me laugh, and I wish each one was two hours long instead of 15 minutes.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Finally got to watch it on the Cinemassacre site.

Damn, that Waldo game.... Some of the crappiest freebie shovelware games are hundreds of times better. Hard to believe a game like that got made.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Damn, that Waldo game.... Some of the crappiest freebie shovelware games are hundreds of times better. Hard to believe a game like that got made.
Ya know what's hilarious? The developer that made it.

Bethesda Softworks. I'm not kidding. Where's Waldo to SKYRIM.

jcracken

Banned
Fuck me! Seriously, the video on Cinemassacre is shit and it skips every now and then. The YouTube version barely will play at all. I have a 20mbps down Internet connection and no problems watching Hulu (which I did a few minutes ago), etc.

YouTube is a disaster of epic proportions lately. I'm lucky to get a video to play in the last week or two. Maybe the geniuses at YT should look into fixing their fucking piece of shit player instead of worrying so much about copyright. When the fuck does copyright matter when you can't even play the fucking video to begin with!?

Have Cox in AZ? You're not alone.

spotflux mitigates the issues.

At least in Shadow the Hedgehog he does use the homing attack, unlike the Sonic '06 video...

And yeah, I remember catalogs sort of like that. Good stuff. :)

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
AVGN is way past its prime. Was hilarious when it was a lone nerd raging against the old shitty games we remember, even if sometimes he'd shit on games that I actually liked... then it got to be more the Rolfe sketch comedy show, which was uhh.. hit and miss at best. Nowadays it's more like Rolfe's gaming retrospective targeted at people who didn't live and game in that era. Boring as hell Rolfe, not watching for a history lesson bro.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
AVGN is way past its prime. Was hilarious when it was a lone nerd raging against the old shitty games we remember, even if sometimes he'd shit on games that I actually liked... then it got to be more the Rolfe sketch comedy show, which was uhh.. hit and miss at best. Nowadays it's more like Rolfe's gaming retrospective targeted at people who didn't live and game in that era. Boring as hell Rolfe, not watching for a history lesson bro.

As someone who did not grow up in his era, I enjoy the retrospective. The show has definitely gone through some changes and maybe he doesn't necessarily live up to his persona as much as he used to (probably hard to keep it up without looking tacky) but I still find his commentary entertaining and insightful.

vocab

Avgn is still entertaining. I mean the tiger episode was way better than expected and I have rewatched it more times than I should have, but maybe I'm just a sucker for nostalgia. I dig James's sarcastic anecdotes and they always end with some classic avgn. Ya, that bugs bunny one was brutal, but he redeemed him self many times since then.

His monster madness stuff is always great as well.

Cheerilee

Flash video used to have two priorities. Make a video that can play while it downloads, before it's finished, and make a player that can run these videos in a web browser.

But even though the player auto-deletes the video when you close the window, pirates figured out how to keep these videos and play them offline. Pirates are selling AVGN bootlegs on the street corner in Chinatown! (No, they're not. It's just obsessive nerds archiving them.)

So the flash video people invented a new #1 priority. DRM the heck out of everything. Have you noticed that if you hit "pause" on a Youtube video, it won't keep downloading and build up a huge buffer like it used to? Nope. No buffer for you. If you can't download fast or reliable enough to keep up, then you shouldn't be watching.

And the sad part is, pirates broke this DRM almost immediately.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
My favorite parts of the AVGN episodes are the "history lessons" and "Retrospective."
Same here. Things like the Pong Consoles episode are fascinating, as it's a first-hand window into a time I've barely had any exposure to. Much preferable to a constant stream of scatological humor, anyway.

I also enjoy watching some fans come to grips with the fact that he genuinely likes some aspects of games that he's railed against in the past. They've taken a few instances of a character's joke played for comedy completely at face value.

Flash video used to have two priorities. Make a video that can play while it downloads, before it's finished, and make a player that can run these videos in a web browser.

But even though the player auto-deletes the video when you close the window, pirates figured out how to keep these videos and play them offline. Pirates are selling AVGN bootlegs on the street corner in Chinatown! (No, they're not. It's just obsessive nerds archiving them.)

So the flash video people invented a new #1 priority. DRM the heck out of everything. Have you noticed that if you hit "pause" on a Youtube video, it won't keep downloading and build up a huge buffer like it used to? Nope. No buffer for you. If you can't download fast or reliable enough to keep up, then you shouldn't be watching.

And the sad part is, pirates broke this DRM almost immediately.
So that explains why youtube video playback starting being so terrible, especially on a slow connection.

I have a Firefox extension that can download flash video, and it still works.

I actually like the newer ones where he is slightly less of a character much better. You can tell the guy is passionate about what he's doing. Makes him so much more appealing to watch than any of the other thousand "angry" people on youtube or wherever.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Getting a bad feeling this two parter might be the last (or one of the last) AVGN's... shotgun marathoning a ton of games in one/two vids seems like an omen. :(

Can't see him doing another AVGN Christmas special next year, but I hope I'm wrong.

I still really enjoy James's videos. Over the years I've gotten into his non-AVGN stuff as well. Dude is good at producing videos.

Also I enjoy the AVGN episodes where he doesn't go over the top with the swearing/AVGN character too much and just airs his thoughts.

Top Bottom