• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

maharg

idspispopd
My mind was blown when he said that Mario 64 was released before Bubsy 3D.

Also, that ending.

Only just barely, though. Mario 64: July 96 Japan, September 96 US. Bubsy 3D: October 96. Bubsy was probably in development long before any of its devs would have had a chance to play a final version of Mario 64.

low-G

I was pretty hype for Bubsy 3D when it was first announced but I assumed at the time the screenshots were prototype & placeholder stuff. Nope, that's what they shipped.

dmr87

Only just barely, though. Mario 64: July 96 Japan, September 96 US. Bubsy 3D: October 96. Bubsy was probably in development long before any of its devs would have had a chance to play a final version of Mario 64.

Sure, but what I meant was that one is unplayable and one is praised for its gameplay.

Boogiepop

At least in Shadow the Hedgehog he does use the homing attack, unlike the Sonic '06 video...

And yeah, I remember catalogs sort of like that. Good stuff. :)

Ironically, he did it in the Sonic game where it's the most useless since (as he pointed out), it's equally likely to send you into a pit as do what it's supposed to, and it's weakened thanks to the focus on guns. It was funny to hear him be moderately okay with it, but I guess it makes sense if he only played the first level as it seems.

Anyway, liked the game rush in the second video a lot better than the first. Felt like he was able to talk more about the actual games. Also, I had Spider-man & Venom: Separation Anxiety as a kid, which looks almost identical to Separation Anxiety (I actually confused them last time the subject came up). I thought it was decent, but I'd have to revisit it sometime to see how it holds up.

maharg

idspispopd
Ah well, Mario 64 was a true leap forward for 3d platforming. Everything before it was way way behind it.

It especially didn't help that the original playstation controller didn't even have analog sticks.

Hahaha

I own Boy and his Blob and The Three Stooges and played them tons

I liked the Stooges but Blob was way too hard and lacked instructions :(

LOL THE ENDING

vocab

The sega port of pit fighter is superior in every way. It's not a great game, but it's way better than that snes version.

Timu

Just saw it...loved when he talked about how bad Bubsy 3D is and the ending was awesome but it's one of the better ones he's done in a while.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
I always liked Maximum Carnage as kid. I even was a little upset when Game Grumps ripped on it. Glad he found the gold bronze at the end of the rainbow.

Ra1den

I respect how he didn't even rip on Shadow the Hedgehog. I'm so sick of the bandwagon bashing that game undeservedly gets. It is at least as good as Sonic Adventure.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I actually don't mind the Home Improvement game. It's flawed and really silly, but it's enjoyable.

Maximum Carnage kicked ass, but it was damn hard. I guess you could call this a Christmas Miracle for the Nerd.

Tripon

Loved the ending, if this is how it ends, I can let this series go happily.

PLEASE DON'T LET THIS SERIES END. I NEED MORE.

I actually like the newer ones where he is slightly less of a character much better. You can tell the guy is passionate about what he's doing. Makes him so much more appealing to watch than any of the other thousand "angry" people on youtube or wherever.

Totally agree, in fact the rant sections at the end of the older ones always bugged me a bit.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
LOL!

LJN actually managed with a decent game.

Makes me wonder if there's even an LJN equivalent this generation?

Tripon

LOL!

D3, which is a sub-publisher for Namco-Bandai. Releases all the really crappy Cartoon Network related games for Ben10, Adventure Time, etc.

THQ was big on releasing licensed crap games until they went bankrupt.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm kind of surprised he hasn't done an episode focusing on LJN games he hasn't covered yet, considering how often they appear.

D3, which is a sub-publisher for Namco-Bandai. Releases all the really crappy Cartoon Network related games for Ben10, Adventure Time, etc.

D3 also handles the Earth Defense Force series.
The publisher of one of the most entertaining franchises shouldn't be compared to LJN imo.

Cheerilee

Ah well, Mario 64 was a true leap forward for 3d platforming. Everything before it was way way behind it.

It especially didn't help that the original playstation controller didn't even have analog sticks.

Tomb Raider was also October 96.

Some developers looked at the void of early 3D gaming and made something out of it. Others brought literally nothing to the table.

Games like Bubsy 3D really make you appreciate the stunning achievement of something like Mario 64.

OmahaG8

I actually don't mind the Home Improvement game. It's flawed and really silly, but it's enjoyable.

Maximum Carnage kicked ass, but it was damn hard. I guess you could call this a Christmas Miracle for the Nerd.

No kidding, I got Maximum Carnage as a young kid. I absolutely loved it, but I'm pretty sure I only played up until some church/Black Cat place. Maybe Doppleganger was there.

LOL!

Mind you, LJN were only the publishers and not the developers. If you want a publisher that always puts out shitty licensed games constantly it's probably Activision but they do have original IPs of their own that are good like Tony Hawk and more recently Call of Duty and most recently Skylanders.

Ah, Bubsy 3D... I of course actually think that it's not that bad of a game, but I know very few people agree with me on that. I think the graphics are okay (flat-shaded polygons look fine), for one. The controls needed work, and a port to a system with analog controls, but I like the large levels and the strong focus on platform jumping. It's a different kind of feel from many other 3d platformers, as Bubsy 3D really is all about the platforms, and struggling to jump on enemies or platforms of course thanks to the controls. But anyway, he seems to have gave the game more of a chance than a lot of internet video reviewers have (ie, he actually learned how to play), which is good. Of course Mario 64 is many times better in every way, but Mario 64 is one of the best games ever made, few games hold up to it. I think I've heard that the people who were working on Bubsy 3D saw Mario 64 sometime that summer in '96, but it was way too late to change their game to keep up with it: Accolade wanted the game out that year, and so it was. And the reaction was so poor it killed the series.

Otherwise, this was another good episode for sure. As for that last bit, I'd forgotten that Acclaim had LJN's label put on the SNES release... I have both of these games (Maximum Carnage and Separation Anxiety) for Genesis, where Acclaim published both under its own name. On that note, Acclaim had bought LJN back in 1990, and after that point LJN was just a label owned by Acclaim, so it's really the same thing either way... Acclaim mostly used LJN as a label they put licensed junk on, so as to keep the better games on the "Acclaim" label I guess, though Acclaim's own release that generation were quite mixed in quality as well. Man, did they improve amazingly by the mid '90s! N64 Acclaim was fantastic... Oh, and Acclaim also had the Sega-systems-only "Flying Edge" label they used on some games, as well. Also, both of those Spiderman beat 'em ups were was actually developed by Software Creations, not Acclaim or LJN. Software Creations made a bunch of stuff, some good (Tin Star for SNES for example) and some not so good (NES Silver Surfer...), but their Spiderman games are decent, sure. I don't find either one of those Spiderman beat 'em ups all that exciting, but they aren't bad games either.

Ironically, he did it in the Sonic game where it's the most useless since (as he pointed out), it's equally likely to send you into a pit as do what it's supposed to, and it's weakened thanks to the focus on guns. It was funny to hear him be moderately okay with it, but I guess it makes sense if he only played the first level as it seems.
Heh... that's true, isn't it. I'd forgotten that about the spin-dash getting you killed in Shadow the Hedgehog, I didn't get far into that game before stopping playing it...

Anyway, liked the game rush in the second video a lot better than the first. Felt like he was able to talk more about the actual games. Also, I had Spider-man & Venom: Separation Anxiety as a kid, which looks almost identical to Separation Anxiety (I actually confused them last time the subject came up). I thought it was decent, but I'd have to revisit it sometime to see how it holds up.
They're average, I'd say. Also I imagine you mean Separation Anxiety and Maximum Carnage. It's easy to forget which is which, but I think Maximum Carnage is the first game, and Separation Anxiety is the second... anyway, the second game has two player co-op, while the first is single player only.

Ya know what's hilarious? The developer that made it.

Bethesda Softworks. I'm not kidding. Where's Waldo to SKYRIM.
I better remember this anecdote. Especially as a response to "have Bethesda ever released a game that isn't completely buggy?" yes they have; Where's Waldo.

Oh man, huge rushes of nostalgia as he flipped through those Wishbooks. I got excited when he showed the lingerie section. That was a big deal for me back then. A very big deal.

When he brought out Maximum Carnage, my initial thoughts were "Who da fuck is hatin on Maximum Carnage?!?! *puff chest out*"

Great couple of episodes though. Him going over the wish books in the first part was a nostalgia trip. Even as late as the PSX era, I remember using a wish book to point out to my parents that I wanted Grandia and Brave Fencer Musashi!

kick51

Banned
I'm kind of surprised he hasn't done an episode focusing on LJN games he hasn't covered yet, considering how often they appear.

but if he did that, we wouldn't have the hilarious ending to this episode!

That took me by surprise because I could've sworn Maximum Carnage was Acclaim...it had an Acclaim-like ad campaign where it was advertised fucking everywhere for a minute. guess not!

bjork

Oh man, huge rushes of nostalgia as he flipped through those Wishbooks. I got excited when he showed the lingerie section. That was a big deal for me back then. A very big deal.

It just seemed big because you weren't used to it doing that yet. :)

This was a good episode. I wouldn't mind more multi-game ones like this.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
LJN also published some decent wrestling games, no? At least I remember not being completely pissed off by Royal Rumble or Raw for the SNES.

JonnyBrad

Had never heard about the Maximum Carnage Mob Rules thing. Those were different times it would probably be a million £ lawsuit now. It wasn't like Doom nicking some thrash metal riffs it was a straight up rip heh.

He should do Spirit of Speed 1937 for the Dreamcast. Not only an awful game, but also the final LJN game ever released.

Acclaim must have been so ashamed of the game that they resurrected the at that point dead LJN label just for that one game... if you look it up, you'd see that the LJN label had been killed off in early 1995, before Acclaim brought it back five years later just for that one title. I guess they really wanted to (or had to? Who knows) release it, but not admit that by putting their own name on the game... :p

Had never heard about the Maximum Carnage Mob Rules thing. Those were different times it would probably be a million £ lawsuit now. It wasn't like Doom nicking some thrash metal riffs it was a straight up rip heh.

The back of the Maximum Carnage box advertises that the games' soundtrack is by (or is based on songs by?) the band Green Jelly, so it was they who copied the song... who knows if they had the right to do so though.

JonnyBrad

The back of the Maximum Carnage box advertises that the games' soundtrack is by (or is based on songs by?) the band Green Jelly, so it was they who copied the song... who knows if they had the right to do so though.

It was pre internet days so they probably just thought why not. Nowadays it'd be GAF > Kotaku > Lawyers within 24 hrs of the games release. Cool little piece of trivia though.

He should be doing board games by LJN.

rogerrabbit.jpg

Yeah pretty much. It was not a rip-off where a music composer just steals a few guitar riffs from a song. The Super Villains track from Maximum Carnage was an intentional cover of Black Sabbath's The Mob Rules that was hidden into the game on purpose. They did do this without the permission of Black Sabbath though.

Green Jelly also made a studio recording of the Maximum Carnage theme song, complete with lyrics, and put it on one of their albums: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JjPc6g9288

Pretty decent two part episode though. I have a lot of memories of looking through the Sears wish book during the Christmas season when I was a kid.

LevityNYC

Banned
The whole soundtrack for maximum carnage is amazing. I loved that game and beat it several times.

It was released at the pinnacle of Spider-Man comic books before they started retconning everything.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
The wish list episodes were excellent; best in a long, long time. Had kind of a throwback feel to them; James was much less over-the-top than he's been in more recent episodes.

I was just thinking about those awesome JC Penney wishbooks the other day. So good. I also remember actually kind of wanting the Home Improvement game, but never bought or even rented it. And I wanted Maximum Carnage solely due to the red cartridge, but I only ever rented it.

border

These episodes were actually the best I've seen in a long, long time. I think AVGN works way better when he doesn't have to devote an entire 10-15 minutes to a single game. The payoff at the end of the Maximum Carnage bit was absolutely priceless! Even though I thought Terminator 2 on Gameboy was a pretty decent LJN title :)

This double-episode actually made me want to go buy a couple Sears Wish Book catalogs for nostalgia value. As it turns out, they're all like $25-$50 on eBay (for mid-80's catalogs). Fuck that. I bet Sears could make some decent money just by digitizing their old catalogs and putting them up on the Amazon Kindle store.

For anyone that's interested the AVGN Game is only $6.74 on Steam right now: http://store.steampowered.com/app/237740/?snr=1_7_15__13 I kinda just bought it to support The Nerd, but it seems like an enjoyable romp so far, with a ton of entertaining callbacks to previous episodes.

Top Bottom