• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

Was an ok episode but it seems the last year or so AVGN has lost what made it funny in the first place, james is either trying too hard or doesn't have it in him due to making the movie.

Yeah, i agree. I just think maybe he has grown tired or stale of the whole thing. What once felt like he was doing it because he wanted to do so kind of feels like he is doing it for the demand of the people right now. I think he should take a break from the character so that he could miss doing it and may return true to form when he comes back.

Site says it was written by Pat the NES Punk and not produced by Cinemassacre, so it's not an "official AVGN" video.

That explains some of the awkward dialogue, especially from Pat. Cringe worthy dialogue on the "turd" part... yikes. They should've just improvised it more to loosen things up.

The music really was the best part of Bayou Billy. I owned this game when I was a kid, I remember receiving it as a birthday present. I could never get past that beat-em-up portion.

WillyFive

I can see what he meant about the special effects, that was a lot of them.

The plot reminds me of those movie versions of TV shows, where they have the characters go into "save the world" type of stories that go completely against the original show.

Spoony must have mended a lot of fences. He's on here with James, and he just did a video with the Nostalgia Critic recently.

Has he gotten better? I haven't seen him around in a while.

Jawmuncher

Spoony must have mended a lot of fences. He's on here with James, and he just did a video with the Nostalgia Critic recently.

Was looking into that and a lot of talk was saying he was indeed better.
Though I wasn't getting any specifics.

Into

I dont know his state of mind, but his content is better than it has been for a long time. That last stint with TGWTG had him doing shitty, pointless cameos with crappy C list TGWTG "celebs"

On his own he is better and go at his own pace

Dereck

I don't remember them doing an actual video together but I remember awhile ago they were on camera together for some reason. I think that's their first game collab though.

bjork

So the movie premiere is tonight I really hope we can get some video and twitter reactions to the movie because I want to hype to get up! :D

I had the ticket window open when they announced it and I was like, "I'll never have that night off, even if I request it" so I didn't buy a ticket. Now it's the day of, and I'm off. Damn it all to hell.

Video reaction:

http://youtu.be/WjsF_r4_B_M

http://dawillstanator.tumblr.com/post/92517752296/avgn-the-movie-review-experience
AVGN The Movie Review/Experience

Welp, I just got back from the world premiere of AVGN: The Movie at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood. What did I think of this flick? Well, for what it was and what it presented, I found it to be pretty cheesy, silly, yet awesome at the same time. And for the most part, that’s what it delivered. It had some awesomely goofy moments, some creative sets and shots, good acting, and most of all, heart to the fans.

The way I saw it, this was a love letter to all AVGN fans: a normal AVGN episode but extended, put to film length, the awesome silly-ness cranked to 11, and of course, a review of the infamously bad Atari game: E.T. I was really fascinated by how much history they dug up for this game, and how it intertwined into a cool story. As for the review of the E.T. game itself (yes there is one near the end of the film) i felt it was very justified. James was smart to tone down the over-reaction to the game, cause that’s what he felt the game deserved: a place in gaming history yet it shouldn’t really be considered god awful beyond all recognition. And of course I got to meet James himself as you saw in an earlier post through instagram. lol.

Overall, this cheesy nerd B-movie like experience certainly delivered, and it KNEW it was cheesy, but yet it was awesomely put together. It made me laugh a lot and it presented a really cool story. So i recommend checking it out at any other theater venues that were announced through Cinemassacre.com, or wait for the digital release in the next couple months.

BtIyRcBCAAE-6Wt.jpg

BtIeqXbCEAAmc76.jpg

BtHm4oVCIAEz25j.jpg

BtHl4mdCUAAwwd4.jpg

BtHI0I2CcAAuW-G.jpg

eFh1X5Z.jpg

hazukash

I'm going to see the movie on August 6 at Fantasia. I wonder why this screening doesn't appear on the Cinemassacre site?

I expect more cheese than greatness, but I've been following the Nerd since 2006 so I feel like I need to go. I'm excited.

Badlucktroll

Gold Member
Desert Bus is awesome! It was Pen and Teller's response to attempts to outlaw violent games. It was like "You want a game like real life, here you go!"

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
For the AVGN 10th Anniversary celebration, James and Mike torture themselves with Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde on NES once again! But this time, we’ve invited some guests to try the game too! (to be tortured that is!) Guests include: Spoony, AlphaOmegaSin, The Game Chasers, Shane Luis, Ryan Schott, 8-Bit Eric, Grimsie42 and Bad Luck Bootsy! Since we’ve played this game many times before in other videos, this time we are jumping right to the infamous barrel stage!
Neat little video.

Hearing that the movie is very much like an extended avgn is exactly what I expected and wanted, so congrats james! I hope this allows him to work on more projects in the future.

thefro

Hearing that the movie is very much like an extended avgn is exactly what I expected and wanted, so congrats james! I hope this allows him to work on more projects in the future.

The Hollywood Reporter reviewed it:

Some pretty minor spoilers about the setup, so I'll just quote the last couple paragraphs

Proudly crowdfunded by fans worldwide, the film gleefully showcases B-movie excess and ineptitude, from the intentionally amateurish acting to the impressively DIY special effects. Rolfe, a bona fide Internet celebrity with over 1.5 million subscribers on YouTube, comes across as more of an on-camera provocateur than a polished performer, although his exaggerated style suits the material, with the rest of the cast pretty much following suit.

Even though overly long and almost obsessively self-indulgent, with its insistence on incorporating dubiously rendered alien life forms, homemade spacecraft and utterly unconvincing pyrotechnics, the production hovers above home-video quality by a few admirable notches. Cult status is therefore very likely assured, at least among self-identified video game nerds, particularly with featured cameos from the likes of Troma Films' Lloyd Kaufman and original Atari programmer Howard Scott Warshaw.

Heh Battleclash

I played that on Video and Arcade Top 10.........I didn't win

I guess they didn't figure out that you aren't supposed to spam the fire button, you wait for it to charge to actually do damage

hazukash

Saw the movie today, and I really enjoyed it. It was much better than I expected, and the feeling of the series was left intact. I left the theatre happy and fulfilled as a fan. I've been watching the AVGN since Bible Games in 2006 and it felt like paying to see the movie was like thanking him for entertaining me for 8 years.

Also, I believe the movie is the Nerd's final review. I don't know how far the character can continue on after this.

Zornica

Banned
I wonder why he didn't attempt to attend any of the literally thousands of European indi film festivals. It would've been a great, cheap and easy way to get the movie to European fans. He could've even won an award that way.

Well, maybe next year...

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I wonder why he didn't attempt to attend any of the literally thousands of European indi film festivals. It would've been a great, cheap and easy way to get the movie to European fans. He could've even won an award that way.

Well, maybe next year...
Maybe its just to expensive for him to travel to europe for a film festival?

maharg

idspispopd
So what's the Spoony drama all about? I stopped following that guy a long time ago.

The crux of it is that he made an incredibly inappropriate sexual comment at JesuOtaku, at a time when it was double inappropriate due to context, on twitter. And then went on a ranting rampage trying to justify it where he pissed pretty much everyone else off.

I'm a bit sad I even know this, tbh.

I really want to see this movie. Sad there are no European showings!

I guess I shall wait till he releases the blu-ray quality download on his website!

Movie was awesome at the NY showing tonight. Brentalfloss was there, I actually went to go sit next to him but noticed all of the seats next to him were reserved. Great time!

Cubed

Glad to hear a lot of positive reviews.

Anyone expecting more than an adventure/sci-fi B-movie is asking too much. I'm sure the film embraces its limited budget and cheesiness.

tookhster

Man I've been waiting since the release to find a screening in the DC area but it seems like the only major area that hasn't had a screening. Or maybe I missed it?

Top Bottom