• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Awesome. I love this game.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Since this is bumped, might as well mention that the digital copy of the AVGN Movie comes out tomorrow.
Personally, I'm waiting for the Blu-Ray.

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/avgn

Movie is out officially please support James for all his hard work ! :)
Available world wide and for rent $5 or to buy for $10 you get a .mp4 HD 1.8 gig file playable on all devices.
The AVGN Movie makes its internet debut on Vimeo!
Follow the link for all the details, such as renting and buying options.

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/avgn

We are looking into additional outlets for online distribution, but all the others take much longer to process. In the future, we expect to have the movie available on some other sites too.

Also, the DVD/Blu-ray is in production. It will include a feature-length Behind-The-Scenes documentary, outtakes, deleted/extended scenes, a commentary track, some surprises, and the feature movie in 5.1 surround sound. We expect to have it ready by November/December.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Gotta hold out for that bluray....
Yeah, the special features sound great. He mentioned in his final video update that the behind the scenes stuff will basically be a film in and of itself.

Lothar

Banned
Is it weird it than I'm looking more forward to seeing Blaster Master Pt 2 next week than this movie? I like him more when he's just playing a game than doing skits. Still going to buy it though.

hazukash

Now that the movie is released, I don't see James staying in the limelight for much longer. I think the AVGN will retire by the end of the year.

jimi_dini

Nintendo Power (Higher Quality)

Simon's Quest: "in-depth playing tips on the horrifying sequel to Castlevania"

Back To The Future: "has that distinctive LJN style and an interesting 'timer'"

xSy2J97.gif

Ramza

Banned
So yeah. The Nerd Movie was good. Maybe a 10-15min too long, but still good in a bad B-movie way.

Yeah, I loved it. Got really weird at the end, but still loved it in that "low budget" fashion. Not surprising it ended like that with
his love of Godzilla movies

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Heads up that James has started posting this year's Monster Madness, but since this is for his gaming stuff, they'll be posted in this thread (& I linked to the post with the first video as well) since it's basically the OT for it.

BatDan

Wow... didn't see this happen.
The Irate Gamer posted a 39 minute video where he "opens up" about the AVGN.
It's a whiny rant about how James is the worst, he's money-hungry, and his belief that James was out to sabotage him.

Basically, it shows that he's insane.

devonodev

It's a whiny rant about how James is the worst, he's money-hungry, and his belief that James was out to sabotage him.

"Man, I'm so sick of everyone calling me an AVGN rip off. I know, I'll release a long video telling everyone how terrible he is, and why I'm so much better. That'll get them off my back."

Irate Gamer still makes videos? He and DSP should team up.

BatDan

How the fuck does the Irate Gamer still have fans? I just don't get that.

Some are fans out of spite. They really hated that James Rolfe did a crowdfunding campaign, and when Bores made a video mocking James, they all flocked to him (with notable critics of him suddenly doing a 180 on how "cool" he was).

People are weird.

TheYanger

The Irate Gamer has only ever been interesting in the sense that you can see the AVGN, see (generally) how to perfectly play THAT character. And then you can watch the IG and see the exact opposite, with stiff acting, AWFUL jokes, and actual worthless commentary. Being a ripoff is only the first part, the real issue he has is that he's legitimately bad at it.

I watched the whole Irate Gamer thing and it comes down to this.

James once acknowledged that people copying his work was faltering and Irate Gamer started doing those Angry reviews. He had 200 subs and wasn't popular at all but he became featured by YouTube by luck and got huge popularity spikes.

Irate Gamer then sent an email to James thanking him for his work and James replied to him saying that he would be ok with that but he asked Irate Gamer to acknowledge the AVGN in his videos. But before doing so, James (or Mike who had access to the AVGN Mailbox), putted the whole email Irate Gamer made public, which Irate found douchebaggy and then he just didn't want to acknowledge AVGN anymore.

After that he just continued his wok ignoring all the hate and drama.

I don't know about you guys but it seemed to me like a humble video with some good insight on the history of what the fuck is up so, I don't get the "he just made a 39 video hating on AVGN" complaints lol,

I don't know about you guys but it seemed to me like a humble video with some good insight on the history of what the fuck is up so, I don't get the "he just made a 39 video hating on AVGN" complaints lol,

Yeah, the video is fine for the most part. I could understand the dude getting overwhelmed with all that stuff and he doesn't exactly seem like a dick to me.

That being said, I'm still not a fan of his stuff.

Yeah, the video is fine for the most part. I could understand the dude getting overwhelmed with all that stuff and he doesn't exactly seem like a dick to me.

That being said, I'm still not a fan of his stuff.

I am not a fan as well but it's nice to know about the truth as well the history of him and James, made me disappointed in James to be honest.

thefro

The Irate Gamer has only ever been interesting in the sense that you can see the AVGN, see (generally) how to perfectly play THAT character. And then you can watch the IG and see the exact opposite, with stiff acting, AWFUL jokes, and actual worthless commentary. Being a ripoff is only the first part, the real issue he has is that he's legitimately bad at it.

Yeah, I think if the guy was actually good at it James would have probably made a video or two with him by now. But the only slightly funny parts of his videos were the stuff lifted straight from AVGN.

The Irate gamer basically like a stand-up comedian who steals jokes who isn't any good at stand-up.

Myggen

Man, that video is just sad.

Bluth54

It's been awhile since the last episode of AVGN since James was working on the movie, hopefully we'll get a new episode for Halloween this year.

It bothers me that people think the AVGN (Angry Nintendo Nerd back then) was the first to do those angry old game reviews. He wasn't. I remember back when it all began, and there were several guys doing it before James. Some of them were much better too, but sadly never stuck around after only a few vids.

It sounds like James Rolf suffers from the same thing that Spoony suffers from. His fans are fucking crazy, obsessive nutters who will attack other reviewers.

I think James is actually a much better movie reviewer than game reviewer. His Monster Madness videos are always great.

Top Bottom