• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
I miss oldschool nerd. I wish he'd just bring out the old crap camera, makeup himself to look as young as possible, and give us an old style episode again. I'm not a fan of any of the new HD stuff he's been doing. It all feels so fake and passionless, which I know is unfair to say but that's the immediate feeling I get from watching them. He just seems so bored, like someone has a gun to his head forcing him to make these and he just really doesn't want to.

Balb

I miss oldschool nerd. I wish he'd just bring out the old crap camera, makeup himself to look as young as possible, and give us an old style episode again. I'm not a fan of any of the new HD stuff he's been doing. It all feels so fake and passionless, which I know is unfair to say but that's the immediate feeling I get from watching them. He just seems so bored, like someone has a gun to his head forcing him to make these and he just really doesn't want to.

I think it's a combination of him having to work on the movie and him not being able to let go of the AVGN character. The series probably should have stopped a while ago but he can't do it.

Grinchy

Banned
I haven't seen any AVGN in a long time, so after the Desert Bus episode I thought I'd check out some other videos. The one I clicked was with James and Mike playing Nintendoland. This Mike guy started complaining about the Xbone and his complaints are ridiculous.

He just got done talking about how it's crazy that it has a blu-ray drive but doesn't come with a remote. He asked what would happen if he were buying it just for movies and not for games. He thinks people would buy something called "Xbox One" just to watch movies. What drugs is this guy on and where do I get some?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I haven't seen any AVGN in a long time, so after the Desert Bus episode I thought I'd check out some other videos. The one I clicked was with James and Mike playing Nintendoland. This Mike guy started complaining about the Xbone and his complaints are ridiculous.

He just got done talking about how it's crazy that it has a blu-ray drive but doesn't come with a remote. He asked what would happen if he were buying it just for movies and not for games. He thinks people would buy something called "Xbox One" just to watch movies. What drugs is this guy on and where do I get some?
There's something off about him. James was like, "neither does the ps4".

you know what gets me every time (among other stuff):
Fireball_4.jpg

I can still here that sound of the birds in my head. Wooo wooo wooo woo woo. Wooo wooo wooo wooo woo woo.

Jobbs

Banned
I've been watching AVGN since his first few videos were out, and I must say he has really taken a decline. I can't even remember the last time an episode hasn't been, in my opinion, bad. I feel like he gave up on his actual show to work on a movie no one asked for.

Majukun

I've been watching AVGN since his first few videos were out, and I must say he has really taken a decline. I can't even remember the last time an episode hasn't been, in my opinion, bad. I feel like he gave up on his actual show to work on a movie no one asked for.

while i agree with the quality of recent episodes...his film was "kickstarted" by a lot of people..so someone definitely asked for his movie to be made.

Jobbs

Banned
while i agree with the quality of recent episodes...his film was "kickstarted" by a lot of people..so someone definitely asked for his movie to be made.

I think his fans will support him in what he wants to do, doesn't mean they asked him to go make a movie instead of making the actual show, which is what they were fans of in the first place.

He had a good thing going and he kind of shit on it by neglecting it for long stretches, and phoning it in when he does do an episode. I just feel like this is a shame.

I like James and Mike a lot, and I wish them the best, I just wish they focused more on the Youtube and less on the movie. It has "SNL sketch movie" written all over it. Those movies rarely work and usually kill the sketch.

While I do agree he's spread himself thin, I can't say I hate his newer videos, they've certainly been an improvement since he's started taking his time with them. The alien 3 review outside of being in super hd I could have plopped it during the middle of the "golden years" and no one would have known the difference. I also enjoy episodes like Desert Bus which while not as comical end up informing me about something I'd never heard about ala Swordquest. These are certainly 10000x times better then those nerd memory episodes which he first tried to pass off as new episodes, that was truly the low point of the series.

While I perfectly expect him finishing and releasing the movie will get the monkey off his back and further improve the quality of his videos, I'd say his recent stuff post his return from filming most of the movie has been a lot better then his late gametrailer days when he wasn't taking his time and doing biweekly/monthly episodes.

Toparaman

Banned

Not sure how forcing him to use an old camera and cosplay as "young Nerd" is going to solve the problem of feeling forced.

End of the day, there's only so much you can do with the Nerd character. I think the movie might effectively end the AVGN series, and may even be part of the motivation for the movie getting made in the first place. James Rolfe is more of a cinephile than a gamer, and I'm sure he's getting sick of doing AVGN.

Personally, I thought Ikari Warriors was hilarious, and that was just last year.

I love the AVGN. I've watched him from the beginning and I still like his stuff. I am also very excited for the movie.

I do have to say though:

Mike is the most painfully unfunny person on the planet and he ruins every single video he is in with shit, piss, puke and dick jokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGOnbBgICro

To be honest, James isn't that funny off the cuff either, but at least he is tolerable and will sometimes say intelligent or interesting things. Mike makes me want to violently vomit every time he opens his mouth.

I love the AVGN. I've watched him from the beginning and I still like his stuff. I am also very excited for the movie.

I do have to say though:

Mike is the most painfully unfunny person on the planet and he ruins every single video he is in with shit, piss, puke and dick jokes.

Fuck that guy.

To be honest, James isn't that funny off the cuff either, but at least he is tolerable and will sometimes say intelligent or interesting things. Mike makes me want to violently vomit every time he opens his mouth.

well he's jame's friend so I just always liked/accepted him, especially when they were in videos together. plus he draws all these amazing title cards and tried his best to keep the site running while james was busy with the movie and all so I think all this hate he is getting is a bit mean. he's not supposed to be a second avgn, he's helping out

Dereck

I do have to say though:

Fuck that guy.

My brother brought up this video in a Q & A of James back in 2012. You could see the embarrassment in Mike's eyes, so James just ignored the question.

lol

Kariodude

Banned
What's weird is that Motherfucker Mike has been there since the beginning and helped write a lot of the Nerd episodes, but he has one of the most punchable faces I've ever seen online and he's painfully unfunny off the cuff. At least James is likeable when he's being himself, but when Mike is being himself he's unbearable.

BriGuy

I'm just thankful he's putting up James and Mike Mondays fairly regularly. Dude's probably got a fairly crazy schedule, what with a new baby and the movie releasing so soon.

Balb

What's weird is that Motherfucker Mike has been there since the beginning and helped write a lot of the Nerd episodes, but he has one of the most punchable faces I've ever seen online and he's painfully unfunny off the cuff. At least James is likeable when he's being himself, but when Mike is being himself he's unbearable.

Annoying or not, you can gather from watching Mike's video that his style of humor largely shaped the AVGN series. You can tell from the James & Mike Mondays that a lot of the jokes in the AVGN episodes are derived from random conversations James and Mike have when they play the game that's going to be featured in an episode.

I know and it has been bothering me all the way through.

I watch AVGN to see James play through horrible games, present funny and interesting things about them, rant about how horrible they are and often give very detailed insight into the history and legacy of them.

The sketches and the poopy-kaka-peepee cursing have always been the worst aspect of the show (at least a lot of them), and considering I've never really seen James utilize that kind of humor in any of his other work and considering Mike's behaviour opposed to James behaviour off the cuff, I'm pretty sure Mike is the main influence for those things.

It does seem like that stuff has been dialed back to zero now, which is good.

I like Mike. I think he's genuinely funny.

And this is a real person we're talking about here. You all should really think about what you're saying about him before you say it.

one_kill

I know and it has been bothering me all the way through.

I watch AVGN to see James play through horrible games, present funny and interesting things about them, rant about how horrible they are and often give very detailed insight into the history and legacy of them.

The sketches and the poopy-kaka-peepee cursing have always been the worst aspect of the show (at least a lot of them), and considering I've never really seen James utilize that kind of humor in any of his other work and considering Mike's behaviour opposed to James behaviour off the cuff, I'm pretty sure Mike is the main influence for those things.

It does seem like that stuff has been dialed back to zero now, which is good.
Wow dude.

"I like James. I don't like Mike. There are some things about some AVGN episodes that I don't like. Since Mike helped James in some AVGN episodes, it's his fault that the things I don't like about AVGN exist."

Maybe they made the first level so hard to hide the rest of the shitty game? Man that game looked terrible. It could serve as a full AVGN episode.

pikablu

There is so much extreme hatred for Mike. I used to find him annoying but I've gotten used to him and really love James and Mike mondays. It really wouldn't be the same without Mike. James Mondays would just be boring.

I don't think Mike is all that funny, but he seems like a cool guy anyway. Anyone who loves games as much as he does couldn't be all that bad, no?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah, I don't find Mike that funny usually, but he seems like a nice enough guy and I don't mind him in videos. Let's remember that without Mike, there probably wouldn't be a Cinemassacre (or at least, half the content Cinemassacre puts out.)

bjork

The only thing I haven't liked from Mike was that rant about the powerup in one of the Mario games that made you invincible or something. It's like, the game has changed around us, old bean. We're old guys from a different era. Don't get mad about it, just ignore it!

As far as Mike being the thrust behind potty humor, if he's the one who came up with "cowa-fuckin'-piece-of-dog-shit" then he is a hero forever, because that moment was when I knew I was going to enjoy following the AVGN series.

Fox Mulder

I do have to say though:

Mike pretty much has the same sense of humor as James, the AVGN is all about shit and dick jokes but scripted.

James is pretty laid back in the non scripted stuff and laughs at the stuff Mike says or plays off it. They're friends that like old ass games, pretty hard to shit on that.

thefro

May make a new thread once E3 craziness dies down

Angry Video Game Nerd Movie premieres July 21 in Hollywood, DVD/Blu-Ray later in 2014
http://cinemassacre.com/2014/06/09/a...he-big-update/

-Premiere at Grauman's Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood July 21st
-Going to be shown during San Diego Comic-Con July 24th
-Eastern US Premiere at Colonial Theatre (Theatre from The Blob movie) in Phoenix, PA August 2nd

Also screenings in Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Boston, Denver, San Francisco, New York City. More will be added.

The movie will be shown during PAX as well

DVD/Blu-Ray/Digital Download of the movie coming out by the end of the year.

Mike's cool, he has some real cartooning skills and lots of knowledge of cartoon strips and animation.

Sometimes his jokes fall flat, but this isn't material he and James are working on. Mike's just firing from the hip. Should also be remembered that Mike has been helping James a great deal since the start, and for a guy who originally never wanted to be on camera he turned in some well done and funny performances as the various characters he played in AVGN episodes and the longer Board James episodes.

Top Bottom