• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

Dereck

lol what the fuck deez clowns talkin bout

BmVh9YS.png

From the ET episode page:

"A brand new Halloween-themed Nerd episode is on its way very soon, keeping with tradition."

So there we go, a new original one soon.

It depends on how he covers a single game. Sometimes, he'll get really into detail on a single game and I'll enjoy it, like his review of Super Pitfall, but sometimes he'll just completely miss the point and it becomes annoying, like his review of Lester the Unlikely. Actually, his review of Lester the Unlikely highlights another criticism about the AVGN - if he didn't play a game growing up, it's obvious when he reviews them, because his review is really superficial and it becomes obvious he doesn't know how to play. Lester the Unlikely isn't a bad game, really. It's in the same vein as stuff like Flashback or Another World, but he goes in and tries to play it like Super Mario Bros and hates it. It just comes off as uninformed.

It wasn't a full review, but his Jaguar CD review is like that. He tries to play Battlemorph like Starfox and just complains the whole time that it's not starfox instead of actually playing the game correctly. I much prefer when he demonstrates intimate knowledge of the game, rather than when he is just looking for things to shit on.

I can agree to this to an extent. eposides like lester or kid cool are among his weaker ones. But rather than just looking for things to complain about. It appears to me he is looking for things to complain about from the perspective of a kid who may have rented the game in the early 90's who was used to things like mario and didnt know how to play it properly. This happened alot back then. Games didnt do alot of handholding back then.

Timu

From the ET episode page:

"A brand new Halloween-themed Nerd episode is on its way very soon, keeping with tradition."

So there we go, a new original one soon.
Yes, I love those Halloween episodes, Dark Castle review is one of my favs due to how bad that game was.

I hope more avgn episodes appear more often now, only so much James and Mike plays I can watch without thinking how nice a new nerd episode would be, even if it's a small 5 minute episode like some of the earlier nerd episodes.

find out soon I guess.

It appears to me he is looking for things to complain about from the perspective of a kid who may have rented the game in the early 90's who was used to things like mario and didnt know how to play it properly. This happened alot back then. Games didnt do alot of handholding back then.

If you're going to use the "games didn't handhold" phrase about older games then you have to concede that kids back then actually played individual games for longer than they do now and became more intimate with them. Which doesn't jive with your statement about them expecting Mario.

I never went to blockbuster expecting Mario from a non Mario game. I never went to toys r us and bought a game thinking it was Megaman without it saying Mega Man on it. Castlevania, battletoads, blah blah blah.

The late 80s/early 90s videogames industry had a wide open, make-what-you-want feel to it that led to a huge variety of games. Mostly bad honestly, but I definitely prefer it to the billion dollar clone games were forced to deal with these days.

So anyway, in regards to your original statement of it happening a lot back then: no, didn't happen a lot back then.

Balb

I hope more avgn episodes appear more often now, only so much James and Mike plays I can watch without thinking how nice a new nerd episode would be, even if it's a small 5 minute episode like some of the earlier nerd episodes.

find out soon I guess.

How much life does the series have left though? I feel like he's done everything he's set out to do.

What all are the Halloween themed AVGN episodes? Off the top of my head I can think of the original Castlevania II, Castlevania four-parter, and Ghosts 'n Goblins.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
He did one on Dracula & Frankenstein and then Dark Castle. Alien 3 is kind of considered one, but was more of a cross-promo for Monster Madness.

If you're going to use the "games didn't handhold" phrase about older games then you have to concede that kids back then actually played individual games for longer than they do now and became more intimate with them. Which doesn't jive with your statement about them expecting Mario.

I never went to blockbuster expecting Mario from a non Mario game. I never went to toys r us and bought a game thinking it was Megaman without it saying Mega Man on it. Castlevania, battletoads, blah blah blah.

The late 80s/early 90s videogames industry had a wide open, make-what-you-want feel to it that led to a huge variety of games. Mostly bad honestly, but I definitely prefer it to the billion dollar clone games were forced to deal with these days.

So anyway, in regards to your original statement of it happening a lot back then: no, didn't happen a lot back then.

Come on man, don't talk to me like summer young pup that didn't know how ganming was. I'm 32 and an fully aware Howe games were. If I was 10 and rented lester Schick really resembles a 2d action gaeme id ecpect not take fall damage, have an attack of some kind, ect..
And when I couldnt figure it out. I would rightfully beat my self up over it.

I've always thought that Mike was better at most games than James, and tends to be pretty good actually...
Eh? Dude is fantastic at Kaboom!

That's the equivalent of being good at over a thousand games.

I had to rewatch that part several times, I was legit shook. Master Ninja in Ninja Gaiden Black has nothing on that.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I've always thought that Mike was better at most games than James, and tends to be pretty good actually...
Same here. I'm surprised that people would think otherwise, actually. They both tend to suck in some of these videos, though, as it's clear they're not paying much attention at times.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Been waiting for him to go into more detail after the quick mention back in the NES Accessories review.

Edit: Oh hey, he also finally addressed the whole "LJN was just the publisher" thing.

I have to say the whole review had me smiling or giggling, as the first post movie review it felt like James had a huge weight off his shoulders and could just enjoy being the nerd again which made the video really enjoyable for me.

LordGouda

Don't read the comments. They're just shit. I liked the episode, laughed at the very end. I also liked how he talked about the star.

That was a wonderful throwback to his random lists/terms, strange digressions, and whatnot. Only thing missing was a skit involving Mike, but I think due to jerks saying horrible things in comments, I'd imagine Mike doesn't want to do them anymore.

LaserHawk

I rented Beetlejuice as a kid and surprised myself by recalling the exact tune in my head before it even played in the video... and that's from one rental. Beetlejuice for NES was truly awful.

-KRS-

I rented Beetlejuice as a kid and surprised myself by recalling the exact tune in my head before it even played in the video... and that's from one rental. Beetlejuice for NES was truly awful.

Apparently David Wise made the music for it. Definitely not his finest moment.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
How many LJN titles does he have left?

He hasn't done any of their wrestling games.
There's The Incredible Crash Dummies
As well as a game based on the 1985 movie "Gotcha!"

I'm surprised he hasn't covered Spider-Man and X-Men in Arcade's Revenge. That is crap.

Top Bottom