• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

LaserHawk

Apparently David Wise made the music for it. Definitely not his finest moment.

No kidding?! Wow... I guess if he was trying to make a memorable tune, I suppose he succeeded. But it doesn't help that the song essentially plays throughout the entire game.

ElTopo

Banned
I rented Beetlejuice as a kid and surprised myself by recalling the exact tune in my head before it even played in the video... and that's from one rental. Beetlejuice for NES was truly awful.

I rented it too. Got stuck on the first screen (could never get to the item shop) and have almost no memory of it.

I really like the music in Beetlejuice, but yeah, it's completely out of place. Feels like the game was going to be something else originally and they just tacked the Beetlejuice movie license onto it at the last second.

Balb

That was a wonderful throwback to his random lists/terms, strange digressions, and whatnot. Only thing missing was a skit involving Mike, but I think due to jerks saying horrible things in comments, I'd imagine Mike doesn't want to do them anymore.

I feel like James is self conscious about criticism in general in recent AVGN episodes. That's why they're pretty safe now.

-KRS-

No kidding?! Wow... I guess if he was trying to make a memorable tune, I suppose he succeeded. But it doesn't help that the song essentially plays throughout the entire game.

Yeah I guess it's not bad or anything, but it's a far cry from his later work. He actually made quite a few soundtracks for Rare's NES games. Cobra Triangle, Snake Rattle n Roll, Wizards & Warriors etc. I quite like some of those, but I'd say it wasn't until the SNES and DKC however that he really nailed it.

Edit: Actually, I'd say it wasn't until DKC that Rare itself really nailed it as well.

Bluth54

Really great episode, I loved the connections he found between the star and the game.

Hopefully James goes back to making more AVGN episodes now that the movie is done, I've missed the series.

devonodev

I didn't think this new episode was thaat great of an episode, but it's been so long I would have taken anything. It had some funny moments too, that ending was good.

Dremark

Banned
Yeah I guess it's not bad or anything, but it's a far cry from his later work. He actually made quite a few soundtracks for Rare's NES games. Cobra Triangle, Snake Rattle n Roll, Wizards & Warriors etc. I quite like some of those, but I'd say it wasn't until the SNES and DKC however that he really nailed it.

Edit: Actually, I'd say it wasn't until DKC that Rare itself really nailed it as well.

Gonna have to disagree on that. Battletoads and TX Pro Am are two of the best games on the NES.

Lothar

Banned
Because of that playlist, I rewatched Ghosts N Goblins. I forgot how good that video was. That's one of his best ones. The anger feels real. You get to see him as a kid playing it so you know the game used to torment him. Recent video too. Also a surprise.

I want to email him and tell him to do Battletoads now in 1 player. If he can beat Ghosts N Goblins, he can beat Battletoads. That game needs to be given it's proper due. The insane shit in the later stages needs to be explored so everyone that can't get past Level 3 can see it.

Lothar

Banned
Ha, I just mentioned one post above that they need to do Battletoads. Mike is saying in the video that they need to do Battletoads.

This was a good one. I enjoy it when old games make them frustrated and you get to see the AVGN personality isn't too far removed from reality. Hard games make you mad.

I liked this better than the last AVGN episode and the movie.

The Beetlejuice one was ok. Played it safe creatively, but some of it still felt forced - the constellation stuff in particular. It was cute, but dragged on too long.

Also, his videos don't seem to be getting views like they used to. His older stuff got well into the millions. Now he's barely cracking 500K a lot of the time. Wonder if interest is waning or the videos just aren't frequent enough and he's losing mind share.

thefro

Also, his videos don't seem to be getting views like they used to. His older stuff got well into the millions. Now he's barely cracking 500K a lot of the time. Wonder if interest is waning or the videos just aren't frequent enough and he's losing mind share.

His new stuff still gets there, but it takes a while for the views to add up. In a year ET & Beetlejuice will be over a million easily.

They've got a long tail, basically.

AcridMeat

Banned
Beetlejuice BEETLEJUICE BEETLEJUICE
I enjoyed the star bit personally as well as the letter. The only thing that bothered me was when he was saying you can jump on enemies but to me it looked like he was taking damage so not really?

Thanks for making that playlist by the way, will delve into it around Halloween. Lots of great episodes from that list. :D

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Do they not realize that you shoot the fake chests once they open up? You don't have to try to jump over them to your doom. Super Ghouls and Ghosts full playthrough (including the extra lap) is something every gamer should do at some point in their life. And dat slowdown. That shit right there is the original bullet-time.

Savitar

I liked that Beetlejuice vid, it's not his best but the pure shit the game puts you through is unreal. And it's made by Rare! Go figure. Only suprise was that he didn't say the name three times and have someone pop up as the ghost with the most.

The vid with Mike, well what can I say. The game is worth a look but these sort of vids don't have much charm to it, doesn't help that Mike himself is like a black hole sucking everything up. Some people are good on camera.

Some are not.

Dremark

Banned
I liked that Beetlejuice vid, it's not his best but the pure shit the game puts you through is unreal. And it's made by Rare! Go figure.

To be fair, Rare has made a lit of bad games. They were pretty much golden in the SNES era though and people tend to ignore what they did before and after that so it's understandable why it's a bit of a shock.

People give Mike too much shit, I think he's great. Was totally expecting him to pop up as Beetlejuice but he didn't. :(

Yeah now that you mention it I could have totally seen him doing that.

maharg

idspispopd
To be fair, Rare has made a lit of bad games. They were pretty much golden in the SNES era though and people tend to ignore what they did before and after that so it's understandable why it's a bit of a shock.

Even their good games are often full of incredibly obnoxious 'unfair' difficult bullshit.

Jamix012

What on earth? Yes people ignore their stuff prior to DKC often, but...Who on god's green earth ignores their N64 catalog? They WERE the N64 catalog! Yes there are some people who don't like this stuff but they're generally a minority from what I've seen and even if they don't like it they don't IGNORE it.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Catching up on some videos I missed.

I really like the idea of Pat the NES Punk as a foil to the Nerd, sticking up for games that he shits on and basically just mocking his ability and taste, but I just wish Pat didn't suck as an actor so much.

Lothar

Banned

That was funny but painful to watch. I knew there was no way they were beating that without the crossbow. When they skipped the crossbow and then started skipping chests with armor in them, that was liking watching the characters from Dumb and Dumber play the game. Even if they managed to get the end to the knife, they would have never beat it before the time limit.

Catching up on some videos I missed.

I really like the idea of Pat the NES Punk as a foil to the Nerd, sticking up for games that he shits on and basically just mocking his ability and taste, but I just wish Pat didn't suck as an actor so much.

Speaking of which, it's funny how the Nerd is more of a punk than the Punk, and vice versa.

Top Bottom