• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

bjork

If we're assuming that the wrapped stuff is what he'll be covering, what can that big box on the bottom be? Is there a console he hasn't yet covered? It's got me curious.

I'm down for 12 days of the nerd. I feel sometimes like he's winding the whole thing down, but I'll always check out stuff as long as he continues to make it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
If we're assuming that the wrapped stuff is what he'll be covering, what can that big box on the bottom be? Is there a console he hasn't yet covered? It's got me curious.
Yeah, I was kind of wondering the same thing. I feel like it could be that the final present he opens is a console i.e the giant box, which would be nice since it feels like it's been a while since he's covered one, save for the Tiger Electronics stuff.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The 12 episodes will be an hour and 8 MINUTES! Cannot contain cheer. I am the biggest AVGN fan on the planet.

Weird that the first episode was only 3-4 minutes. I was thinking... "oh 12 episodes but 3-4 minutes each?", but I suppose the others will be longer.

TheYanger

Weird that the first episode was only 3-4 minutes. I was thinking... "oh 12 episodes but 3-4 minutes each?", but I suppose the others will be longer.

I mean, 12 episodes in an hour and 8 is only like a 5 and a half minute average. I expect 3-4 minutes for a lot of these shitty games then a bigger 10-15 minute review for the big box.

Paracelsus

Kinda underwhelming, the point is not just review bad games, it's to build his schtick around them, if he's just going to be informative then it's gonna be one boring hour.

RoadDogg

I watched a quick video of Alf to see what the rest of the game is and it actually seems pretty neat. You can apparently attack somehow and kill the bats. The game seems like a neat mix of pc adventure game and platformer. I'm actually kind of impressed by it for the time.

Cody_D165

Banned
That Crazybus minisode was gold.

I'm loving these little daily videos, great idea from James to give a solid amount of content for Christmas through shorter episodes.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
It's also a good way to cover games that don't have enough content for a full episode.
They're shit, but there's so little to them.

I'm loving this idea, but I really wish he wouldn't put the name of the game in the title/thumbnail. It kind of ruins the point of unwrapping the game on screen.

I'm loving this idea, but I really wish he wouldn't put the name of the game in the title/thumbnail. It kind of ruins the point of unwrapping the game on screen.

I feel this way with a lot of game/movie/show reviewers where they blaster the name of the thing they're reviewing in the title so people who are searching for the thing may stumble upon their video and become a fan of their work... but it ruins the surprise of the video for fans already. I kind of wish people like the AVGN would let their new episode live stream before it gets uploaded to youtube so people can be surprised before the game/movie/show name is revealed.

I feel this way with a lot of game/movie/show reviewers where they blaster the name of the thing they're reviewing in the title so people who are searching for the thing may stumble upon their video and become a fan of their work... but it ruins the surprise of the video for fans already. I kind of wish people like the AVGN would let their new episode live stream before it gets uploaded to youtube so people can be surprised before the game/movie/show name is revealed.

Good point, but couldn't he go in and add the names after it's all finished? What's Christmas without a few surprises?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
XR7KIkI.jpg

lol

Menome

If hell is real it will include the crazy bus soundtrack.

Back when I was a kid with a Commodore 64, I'd grab games second-hand from car boot sales and charity shops without any real knowledge of what the game was like.

A reliable indicator of quality was when I'd get home, spend ten minutes loading the cassette and be greeted by something like the CrazyBus theme at the main menu. I'd know instantly that I'd wasted 50p.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Looking at the UI at the top of the game screen, I can't help but think of Wayne's World on NES.

Edit: Holy crap, they're almost the same.

Same developer too. Radical Entertainment.
Shockingly, they would go on to make The Simpsons: Hit & Run, The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, and Prototype 1 and 2.
Early in their life, they were a shit factory. They also developed the notorious Bebe's Kids game. As well the NES version of The Terminator (which the Nerd covered) and the NES versions of Mario is Missing & Mario's Time Machine
Oh and Beavis and Butt-head for the Sega Genesis.

Getting all this from Wikipedia.
I'm reminded of how Bethesda made Where's Waldo for NES.

I wonder if Home Improvement is going to be one of the games since that has been in the intro for so long.

He already talked about that last year in his "Wish List" video.
5:23 in

Kind of wish he went more into detail with Rocky & Bullwinkle, if he looked the game up he would notice it's only 4 or 5 stages long and you can beat it in 10 minutes or so.

I'm not doubting what he does to research these games or how long he spends playing them but they are a lot more cut and dry then his other videogame nerd videos, 4 minutes doesn't feel long enough to vent his frustration with a broken game.

I can't help but feel his complaint about not being able to determine Mary Kate vs. Ashley only exists because he's not playing the game on a Game Boy Color or higher.

I mean, yeah, they probably should have designed the game to be easy to figure out even without color (it'd help make it playable for color-blind peeps as well), but still. He could capture GBC footage in the Crazy Castle review, so it's a little weird he didn't do it here.

I can't help but feel his complaint about not being able to determine Mary Kate vs. Ashley only exists because he's not playing the game on a Game Boy Color or higher.

I mean, yeah, they probably should have designed the game to be easy to figure out even without color (it'd help make it playable for color-blind peeps as well), but still. He could capture GBC footage in the Crazy Castle review, so it's a little weird he didn't do it here.

Or he could just learn how high each sister jumps and jump when he switches on the off chance he isn't sure. I also have to guess the game auto cycles MK -> Ashley -> Clue -> MK so really it shouldn't be that hard to figure out who you're playing as.

Top Bottom