• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Totally random thought today, but for anyone who might own the DVDs and their commentaries, who were the extras in the Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Halloween reviews?

In TCM, Mike played Leatherface and Chop Top. The old man was played by Steven J. Klaszky

In Halloween. James got his friend Liam Mulvey and his family to help. Liam regularly helps with camera operation. He showed up in this blooper video

BatDan

I think anyone that says Doki Doki Panic is a better game than Super Mario Bros 2/USA, has never actually played Doki Doki Panic.
The lack of running really hurts.

thefro

Who is this Ryan guy anyway? I've seen a few Mike & Ryan videos and I have to say...Ryan isn't very interesting or knowledgeable.

Cinemassacre website designer/website tech guru since the beginning.

I forget if he or Bootsy is actually in charge of the Youtube content network for AVGN, Super Best Friends play, etc and several others, but one of them actually runs that.

shanafan

Who is this Ryan guy anyway? I've seen a few Mike & Ryan videos and I have to say...Ryan isn't very interesting or knowledgeable.

Also, that video was kind of hard to watch. Both of their perspectives on Nintendo and the industry as a whole are just...

When you really think about it, Mike is probably the only one who tries to keep up with the industry. James always seems surprised when he learns about new video games. I remember when they did a James and Mike Monday for Mortal Kombat X, James had no idea there was a new MK game.

Not saying Mike is a brain for video games, but he does help carry the show and assist James most of the time with trivia so to speak.

Balb

When you really think about it, Mike is probably the only one who tries to keep up with the industry. James always seems surprised when he learns about new video games. I remember when they did a James and Mike Monday for Mortal Kombat X, James had no idea there was a new MK game.

Not saying Mike is a brain for video games, but he does help carry the show and assist James most of the time with trivia so to speak.

True, but at least he knows that he isn't knowledgeable about current games and doesn't make claims like "Splatoon is a clone of a random Mario Party 4 minigame."

shanafan

True, but at least he knows that he isn't knowledgeable about current games and doesn't make claims like "Splatoon is a clone of a random Mario Party 4 minigame."

Haven't watched the Splatoon video yet, somewhat geeked to see what they say.

Weird though, I never got a YouTube alert that there was a new video by Cinemassacre. Glad I follow this thread then.

Balb

Haven't watched the Splatoon video yet, somewhat geeked to see what they say.

Weird though, I never got a YouTube alert that there was a new video by Cinemassacre. Glad I follow this thread then.

Yeah I think it's just on their website (for now).

shanafan

The Splatoon review was pretty hard to watch. Some of their comments were just major eyerolls..

"Splatoon isn't as good as Super Metroid." I don't even know where to go with that comment. Both games are completely different, and nowhere did Nintendo say that this was an answer to a Super Metroid followup.

"Nintendo is just a kiddy company trying to make a shooter like Call of Duty or Battlefield." Oh wow, the Nintendo is a kiddy company comment? That comment is so overdone, and literally a last resort in any Nintendo discussion. And besides, I know Mike and Ryan do not play either COD or Battlefield, but I play the two of them, and Splatoon, and I have just the same amount of fun and enjoyment in Splatoon that I would get from a COD or Battlefield.

I have noticed, and maybe it was been there in front of my eyes forever but I am just noticing it, that the "NES faithful" like Mike Matei, James Rolfe, and Pat Contri are stuck back in the early 90s and refuse to really like and enjoy anything new and popular in video games. Their comparisons to today's games versus NES games are becoming tiresome. I grew up in the same generations as them. I got a NES for my birthday, and the first game I owned was Double Dragon. Fast forward to today, and I love playing the likes of GTA V, the Arkham series, Call of Duty, and the Witcher 3. I have expanded from where I started to where I am now. Don't get me wrong, I like the NES Remix series, and am currently playing through the Mega Man series on the Wii U. I just wish that the YouTubers who love the NES, can try to open up more and like today's games as what they are, without comments like "Splatoon isn't as good as Super Metroid."

The Splatoon review was pretty hard to watch. Some of their comments were just major eyerolls..

"Splatoon isn't as good as Super Metroid." I don't even know where to go with that comment. Both games are completely different, and nowhere did Nintendo say that this was an answer to a Super Metroid followup.

"Nintendo is just a kiddy company trying to make a shooter like Call of Duty or Battlefield." Oh wow, the Nintendo is a kiddy company comment? That comment is so overdone, and literally a last resort in any Nintendo discussion. And besides, I know Mike and Ryan do not play either COD or Battlefield, but I play the two of them, and Splatoon, and I have just the same amount of fun and enjoyment in Splatoon that I would get from a COD or Battlefield.

I have noticed, and maybe it was been there in front of my eyes forever but I am just noticing it, that the "NES faithful" like Mike Matei, James Rolfe, and Pat Contri are stuck back in the early 90s and refuse to really like and enjoy anything new and popular in video games. Their comparisons to today's games versus NES games are becoming tiresome. I grew up in the same generations as them. I got a NES for my birthday, and the first game I owned was Double Dragon. Fast forward to today, and I love playing the likes of GTA V, the Arkham series, Call of Duty, and the Witcher 3. I have expanded from where I started to where I am now. Don't get me wrong, I like the NES Remix series, and am currently playing through the Mega Man series on the Wii U. I just wish that the YouTubers who love the NES, can try to open up more and like today's games as what they are, without comments like "Splatoon isn't as good as Super Metroid."

I mostly agree with you with that they look like stuck in the 90s, but I think that the Super Metroid thing have other meaning.

What they say is that, Ok, they did something apart from Zelda and Mario, which is cool, but Splatoon is not a Killer App like Super Metroid would be. Even Ryan says "you go to a store, and you see games like Witcher III, and this is Nintendo offering". It's good, but not good enough to be on top.

Dremark

Banned

Yeah, James has always struck me as someone who was a huge gamer through the NES and SNES generations but started to fall off during the PS/N64/Saturn era and is largely out of the loop now and while he still games he's pretty out of the loop. To be fair (as some else mentioned) he doesn't represent that he's an expert on current games and IIRC he freely admitted to sucking at modern games.

Mike isn't an expert by an any means but he seems to generally know his stuff. I don't really pay any attention to the other guys though.

Dereck

I'm not saying they don't make great videos, however, that Splatoon video is a good of example of what made me unsubscribe from the channel a month back.

I still check it here a there though.

shanafan

I really like seeing Mike's setups, but I hate this Alpha Omega guy. He's terrible.

I do admit that I may have my own fair share of curses I use while driving, but watching Mike and AOS do the room tours, it was completely over the top. It was blank this, and blank that. Doesn't cursing get sort of old after awhile?

I do admit that I may have my own fair share of curses I use while driving, but watching Mike and AOS do the room tours, it was completely over the top. It was blank this, and blank that. Doesn't cursing get sort of old after awhile?

I found it kinda ridiculous because Alpha would contrast cursing a blue streak with saying stuff like good golly. lol
He is a bit over the top but hey, more power to him.

Pikma

Banned
I mostly agree with you with that they look like stuck in the 90s, but I think that the Super Metroid thing have other meaning.

What they say is that, Ok, they did something apart from Zelda and Mario, which is cool, but Splatoon is not a Killer App like Super Metroid would be. Even Ryan says "you go to a store, and you see games like Witcher III, and this is Nintendo offering". It's good, but not good enough to be on top.
"It doesn't cater to a particular audience that for some reason I see as superior so, therefore, it is an inferior product"

That's such a fucking weak argument, if it can even be called that.

The fact they're comparing Splatoon to The Witcher 3, two products that have absolutely nothing in common outside of both of them being video games, is pretty telling of how shallow they're "analysis" is.

KOMANI

KOMANI
I like James and Bootsy, and Jesus is Bootsy good at playing games.
I've grown to find Mike super abrasive and annoying.

blanco21

i always wished the angry video game nerd (james?) would talk about all the good games on his shelf for a change. all this amazing stuff, entertaining to listen to...but always wants to talk about shit games

i always wished the angry video game nerd (james?) would talk about all the good games on his shelf for a change. all this amazing stuff, entertaining to listen to...but always wants to talk about shit games
James and Mike Mondays usually goes over the good stuff in a non AVGN tone.

BatDan

That's the point, it's in the theme. "He's gonna take you back to the past, to play the shitty games that suck ass"

James & Mike Mondays is a much more laid back show, they play plenty of good games on there.

If you want to see the AVGN premise gone completely wrong, watch the Irate Gamer's recent videos. He reviews classics like Punch-Out, Spyhunter, and Mega Man but with the whole "god this is stupid and shit" attitude that one would normally deliver to a bad game. It's astonishingly bad.

shanafan

Also check out www.cinemassacre.com

James does fantastic horror movie reviews throughout the month of October. Look up Monster Madness.

That's the point, it's in the theme. "He's gonna take you back to the past, to play the shitty games that suck ass"

James & Mike Mondays is a much more laid back show, they play plenty of good games on there.

If you want to see the AVGN premise gone completely wrong, watch the Irate Gamer's recent videos. He reviews classics like Punch-Out, Spyhunter, and Mega Man but with the whole "god this is stupid and shit" attitude that one would normally deliver to a bad game. It's astonishingly bad.

Jeez, this guy is still around? I still remember his videos when AVGN was getting super popular and it was just laughably horrible.

pikablu

I use to not like Alpha but he started growing on me once he started making appearances on Game Chasers. I also got really interested in hearing his take on hot button gaming issues and he does a really good job with them. Now I'm a full AlphaOmegaSin fan. Dude is legit badass! |m/

JMTHEFOX

I use to not like Alpha but he started growing on me once he started making appearances on Game Chasers. I also got really interested in hearing his take on hot button gaming issues and he does a really good job with them. Now I'm a full AlphaOmegaSin fan. Dude is legit badass! |m/

Welcome aboard, I am a fan of his videos since his MW2 rant.

andymcc

Banned
Loved the open showing off the modded Famicom, and I never heard of the Famicom 2! Always love nice surprises like that.

it's not really a "famicom 2". it's called an AV famicom.

isn't he the angry gamergate guy with the bad facial hair?

Yeah I think I first saw him on a stream and originally didn't like him, but after seeing him in other related videos(like Game Chasers) he def grew on me and I watch his channel now as well.

shanafan

it's not really a "famicom 2". it's called an AV famicom.

Ah, thanks.

I am tempted to look into the Famicom Disk System. Seems like every game that I want to play from the Famicom days was for the FDS. Super Mario Bros. 2, Apple Town Story, etc.

Does the FDS work with the AV Famicom?

andymcc

Banned
Ah, thanks.

I am tempted to look into the Famicom Disk System. Seems like every game that I want to play from the Famicom days was for the FDS. Super Mario Bros. 2, Apple Town Story, etc.

Does the FDS work with the AV Famicom?

Yeah, it sure does!

Top Bottom