• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

thefro

I like how it has Giana Sisters music playing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mafip6Am99c

Edit: Oh, that wasnt the game audio :lol

Also that video with Mike and Ryan. Holy shit how have I never heard of Toren before? It looks amazing, reminds me quite a bit of the DoubleFine prototype White Birch

I noticed the other day for as much as people talk about Youtube streamers being big, the Mike/Ryan Shovel Knight already has more views than any of the Youtuber "Let's Plays" of Shovel Knight outside of Game Grumps.

entremet

I remember thinking this version of DD would be better than Capcom's for the NES. Mostly based on screenshots in magazine.

Never doubt 8bit CapGod, though. DD NES was a fun MM clone.

This one looks like an abomination.

Dremark

Banned
I played the game, and his review is like word for word what happened to me.

I think everytime someone plays that game for the first time it goes exactly the way it does in the video. Mine went literally exactly the same way too, but after you play it and start to understand how it works it goes more like a regular video game rather than an AVGN episode.

Granted a terrible video game.

shanafan

Do you think the Cinemassacre channel is a Nintendo Partner on YouTube? I would think they would have to be since they uploaded the Mario Kart 64 video right?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Seeing those outtakes gave me the urge to rewatch the Atari Sports episode. Has some of my favorite individual moments.

Also, I bought an Odyssey 2 a year ago at a flea market & it came with that golf game shown. It is indeed very terrible.

Do you think the Cinemassacre channel is a Nintendo Partner on YouTube? I would think they would have to be since they uploaded the Mario Kart 64 video right?
Iirc you can only be a Nintendo partner if you exclusively upload videos of their games which is stupid as hell.

Seeing those outtakes gave me the urge to rewatch the Atari Sports episode. Has some of my favorite individual moments.
Yes atari sports is fantastic :D
avgn_sports1l4jm6.gif

avgn_sports2wfjfm.gif

avgn_sports2_revjskws.gif

avgn_sports4pykz9.gif

avgn_sports535j0p.gif

avgn_sports38peo9.gif

Started to watch Sonic 06, never knew the game was so insanely shit

ItJwdCc.gif
The "get a game over on Wave Ocean and go back to the very beginning" phenomenon is quite real as well. You can save before the level in the start menu, but I don't think anyone had reason to believe that would be the case because a) every 3D Sonic game before and after uses auto save anyway and b) no one expects to get a game over on the very first fucking level.

Happened to me on my first play-through and it's a staple of almost every other LP on the internet like the Game Grumps and the pokecapn run.

Kudo

Mike commented on the Super Mario Land video that new Board James later today, what a great day, 2 videos to keep me entertained.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
This is a fun game, if a bit too short. The setting is very different from the original SMB, but the soundtrack is pretty cool. Can't wait to get home tonight and watch this. Are they playing on Super Game Boy?

And I should really go back to Board James. I liked that series a lot, but stopped watching an episode or two before Dream Phone (or whatever it's called), and haven't gone through them yet.

Kudo

Both videos of the day were great once again.
Board James plot is getting really interesting, looking forward to see where he is planning to go with it.

So, other people have noticed that the "chemistry" between James and Mike is kind of awkward at times, right? Mike's approach to playing games just seems so much more intense and heated (James gets frustrated, too, but Mike sometimes seems a little too upset with either the game or James' imperfect attempts at advancing in certain games). I mean, didn't Mike nearly call James an idiot for screwing something up during one of the recent videos? Their energy clashes at times and the results can be awkward to watch, as it seems like James is often quietly enduring Mike's temperamental reactions and/or is uncertain how to act when Mike gets a little too upset.

Also, some of the humour is repellant (Mike makes a particular joke during a Mortal Kombat video about punching a female character in a certain area and he uses a certain word and they're both, like, in hysterics over this, and it's so sophomoric and gross).

From what I remember, their best video is the NES Batman one, as their dynamic there isn't bad, and it's really entertaining watching them try to work through the difficulties of that game.

120v

yeah they can be a little grating to watch sometimes.

but the james and mike mondays are kind of a little side thing for fun.

shanafan

Hmm, I think their chemistry is good. I think James still has a little social awkwardness left over from his teenage and early adulthood years though. The AVGN has really allowed him to get out of his shell.

You can tell he has changed a quite a bit since this 2002 video:
http://youtu.be/XacN05uJY00

Hmm, I think their chemistry is good. I think James still has a little social awkwardness left over from his teenage and early adulthood years though. The AVGN has really allowed him to get out of his shell.

You can tell he has changed a quite a bit since this 2002 video:
http://youtu.be/XacN05uJY00

I don't really have too many problems with James, outside of the fact that his sense of humour doesn't really match up with my own a lot of times. Based on what I've seen, he seems like a really nice guy.

Camwi

So, other people have noticed that the "chemistry" between James and Mike is kind of awkward at times, right? Mike's approach to playing games just seems so much more intense and heated (James gets frustrated, too, but Mike sometimes seems a little too upset with either the game or James' imperfect attempts at advancing in certain games). I mean, didn't Mike nearly call James an idiot for screwing something up during one of the recent videos? Their energy clashes at times and the results can be awkward to watch, as it seems like James is often quietly enduring Mike's temperamental reactions and/or is uncertain how to act when Mike gets a little too upset.

Also, some of the humour is repellant (Mike makes a particular joke during a Mortal Kombat video about punching a female character in a certain area and he uses a certain word and they're both, like, in hysterics over this, and it's so sophomoric and gross).

From what I remember, their best video is the NES Batman one, as their dynamic there isn't bad, and it's really entertaining watching them try to work through the difficulties of that game.

I don't think James cares at all. They seem like really close friends who have been gaming together long enough that Mike's reactions don't faze him.

shanafan

Great video! It was interesting to see that they had a Retron 5. Has anyone here picked one up?

I have one, and like it quite a bit. The HDMI upscaling improves the image quality from the games so that's a plus. I also really dig the controller. Very happy with the purchase.

I have one, and like it quite a bit. The HDMI upscaling improves the image quality from the games so that's a plus. I also really dig the controller. Very happy with the purchase.

Are they good about releasing updates and patches to fix any issues if there are any?

Harmen

Funny to see them mention Zelda as being that first adventure game everyone was talking about at school and giving each other tips how to advance.

For me, that adventure was Pokemon Red/Blue and later Gold/Silver/Crystal (alltough we physically took those games along to school, offcourse).

Wow, does this remind me how great Block Fort used to be! I really, REALLY wish they'd bring it back to MK8. (Or at least let us battle on Baby Park Nintendo, that would be better than nothing!)

I also miss the fake item block item by the way; it was such a dick move in item form.

I always wonder why Nintendo never really explored the potential the battlemode further. Block Fort was epic and similar arena's with an expanded battlemode would be glorious in MK8.

Alltough it is obviously different than MarioKart in many ways, I absolutely loved the 4p splitscreen battlemode in Blur.

Totally random thought today, but for anyone who might own the DVDs and their commentaries, who were the extras in the Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Halloween reviews?

Elija2

Totally random thought today, but for anyone who might own the DVDs and their commentaries, who were the extras in the Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Halloween reviews?

I'm pretty sure it says that stuff in the credits at the end of both videos. Unless you're asking how James knows them.

Top Bottom