• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

Yep, reminded me of that Action 52 game where he started it and immediately died.

KlUKi.gif

Savitar

About time a video that isn't with shitty Mike.

When I saw the title was almost confused, Darkwing Dark a bad game? Was thinking the NES one. But yeah this one on the other system was pretty damn shitty.

That safe falling on him really did feel like a middle finger.

The rest of the video did make it feel like he's done so much and maybe there isn't much left for him to do. People have been saying that for some time but it's understandable he keeps doing these due to the money they make plus he might not want to disappoint people either.

The rest of the video did make it feel like he's done so much and maybe there isn't much left for him to do. People have been saying that for some time but it's understandable he keeps doing these due to the money they make plus he might not want to disappoint people either.

I got a similar feeling (probably what was intended?) which is interesting because he's always said "Don't worry, I'm not running out of stuff. I got plenty of shitty games I can still review!". Even recently, he would post things like this and maybe it's true, but it seems like an odd direction to take the acting portion of his character. It makes you feel like his nerd character is prepping to wind down and be retired, sort of like a Sasha Baron Cohen character.

That darkwing duck episode felt more like his original good AVGN episodes, great to watch something like that again.

Better then the last few that's for sure.

it was weird that the opening scene was him rejecting games for just being kinda bad but without enough substance for an episode, then he picked a game that was bad in a pretty generic way (besides the safe drop.) Hong Kong 97 was better because it was actually really bad in several unexpected and shocking ways. and more interesting because I'd never heard of it.

maharg

idspispopd
it was weird that the opening scene was him rejecting games for just being kinda bad but without enough substance for an episode, then he picked a game that was bad in a pretty generic way (besides the safe drop.) Hong Kong 97 was better because it was actually really bad in several unexpected and shocking ways. and more interesting because I'd never heard of it.

I feel like this episode was basically built entirely around the safe drop. Honestly I'm kind of surprised people like this one so much. I guess I fit in the camp with the people who are enjoying James&Mike Mondays more now.

TheLostArcader

Neo Member
As a kid I got the TMNT game and thought I was getting the arcade port. 3 months later my cousin got the actual NES arcade port for his birthday. I think it was the first time I truly got pissed off at something.

TheYanger

man I always wanted that game as a kid too, like, that game made me want a TG16 just because it had graphics that looked so accurate to the cartoon. Never actually played it so it's pretty hilarious to see how bad it is. Glad I had the NES game instead :p

Looking at a speedrun it looks like you can bounce jump off basically anything you can collect as well, if you hit it right. Which is probably how you're supposed to get that D at the start of the video. Also seems to be pretty important for navigating some parts of the game, but that could just be speedrun showing off.

I only figured out you can't attack by jumping on people purely by accident. Note what he said about hit detection being off. I was used to shooting enemies with the gas gun. Once I ran out of ammo, I was fucked.

Oh, the safe thing happened to me in the exact same place. So this episode really hits home for me.

shanafan

About James complaining with the delay of button pressing.. it probably is game-related, but after seeing Mike's setup video, I wonder if James has multiple composite video switchers in his basement and that's why there was the delay.

About James complaining with the delay of button pressing.. it probably is game-related, but after seeing Mike's setup video, I wonder if James has multiple composite video switchers in his basement and that's why there was the delay.

No, take it from me, I played the game. He's right.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
I found this episode to be a definite return to form. Probably the best one since Schwarzenegger Games in terms of energy and "anger".
Tiger Electronics and Atari Sports were shortly after Schwarzenegger, but I feel those were the last classics.
Especially Tiger Electronics.

A whole fucking Tiger Game Console!!!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I had the Gameboy game (which I assume was a port of the NES game), it was pretty good, one of my favourites back in the day.

The NES and GB versions were made by Capcom. The TG-16 version was made by Interactive Designs and Radiance Software. I've never played either version but I think it's a pretty safe bet to say that Capcom probably did a much better job!

James goes completely old school and plays everything on a CRT. There is no artificial input lag. Even using multiple switch boxes and additional connectors, you just won't see any lag because it is all analog signals.

Krejlooc

Banned

mechanical composite switches dont induce latency

shanafan

James goes completely old school and plays everything on a CRT. There is no artificial input lag. Even using multiple switch boxes and additional connectors, you just won't see any lag because it is all analog signals.

He has a CRT with dials, but I think he mainly uses a Sony WEGA like-TV. Flat screen with a big back end.

I had a 27" Wega and that thing was heavy as hell!

garbagejuicer

Neo Member
I feel like this episode was a return to form for AVGN. He pulled back on the diarrhea dial and the video came out better because of it. Looking forward to more like the darkwing episode, less big rigs/crazy bus.

He has a CRT with dials, but I think he mainly uses a Sony WEGA like-TV. Flat screen with a big back end.

I had a 27" Wega and that thing was heavy as hell!

They are both CRT's. But yeah, it looks like he is using a 1997-1998 era Sony Trinitron WEGA for the majority of his games.

Cody_D165

Banned
I just watched the Darkwing Duck episode. When he started talking about the "shit scale" and
devoted an entire segment of it to Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
I lost it. Dunno why but I think that was the hardest I've laughed at an AVGN joke in a while.

Rydeen

I just watched the Darkwing Duck episode. When he started talking about the "shit scale" and
I lost it. Dunno why but I think that was the hardest I've laughed at an AVGN joke in a while.

Anytime there's a call-back to that game I lose it. James legitimately abhors that game.

Sanctuary

Hey Nerd, fuck you!

Kid Niki was a fun game :(

It had some pretty far out there character designs, but the gameplay wasn't much to write home about.

When he was fighting that first boss in DWD, why didn't he simply move to the left? It's like watching pretty much any show with a car chasing someone running in front of it. They never think to simply move to the side, and somehow anticipate out running the car. I used to find AVGN mostly funny, but this video is just a bunch of strained expletives that miss the mark entirely.

Weren't there also some Jekyll and Hyde items in the room? T shirt and something else... or was it some other game, can't be bothered to rewatch the episode.

DrKelpo

Banned
I'm rewatching some of the older episodes at the moment (for the ass-teenth time) and it really makes you see, why avgn became so successful. There is so much gold material... I love the spider man episode so much, the dialogue between him and spidey are just perfect.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I'm rewatching some of the older episodes at the moment (for the ass-teenth time) and it really makes you see, why avgn became so successful. There is so much gold material... I love the spider man episode so much, the dialogue between him and spidey are just perfect.

My favorite bit will always be when AVGN starts talking about the nonsensical controls in Batman Forever. The anger in his voice in that scene is so palpable that I wonder if it's acted or actually genuine.

Top Bottom