• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

I generally think James seems like a level-headed dude, but even he is not free of coming across like a spoiled manbaby when it comes to ghostbusters.

I know I'm tired from being up for 24+ hours, but what exactly in that video made you call James a crying manbaby? Of the many negative reactions to the new Ghostbusters trailer I've seen James had by far one of the most level headed. The fact James sat on speaking about the film for two months and waited for more information is already a huge difference compared to other reaction or review videos which were a race to a rage you fucked it up video. He acknowledged his desire both as a fan who wanted a ghostbusters 3 and/or a reboot and what he wanted to see from the reboot that other reboots have done (pay respect to the original while setting up a new story) that from the trailers and information this one isn't doing. His criticisms were fair from what we've been shown in the trailers and he even acknowledged the film might end up being good.

Are people just not allowed to criticize the new Ghostbusters without being classified as man babies?

entremet

I know I'm tired from being up for 24+ hours, but what exactly in that video made you call James a crying manbaby? Of the many negative reactions to the new Ghostbusters trailer I've seen James had by far one of the most level headed. The fact James sat on speaking about the film for two months and waited for more information is already a huge difference compared to other reaction or review videos which were a race to a rage you fucked it up video. He acknowledged his desire both as a fan who wanted a ghostbusters 3 and/or a reboot and what he wanted to see from the reboot that other reboots have done (pay respect to the original while setting up a new story) that from the trailers and information this one isn't doing. His criticisms were fair from what we've been shown in the trailers and he even acknowledged the film might end up being good.

Are people just not allowed to criticize the new Ghostbusters without being classified as man babies?
Yep. It's nuts. James isn't feeling the direction Feige is taking with the movie. Nothing wrong with that. It's not sexism, it's not butt hurt.

And he clearly articulated why. The strange defense of what looks to be mediocre movie is something I don't understand.

I'm pro diversity, but if the movie looks like crap, it's not immune from criticism.

bjork

After you open with "I refuse to watch it" it's hard to accept the rest. Which I guess is the whole point of not reviewing it, but then why dedicate an entire rant to "this is what *I* wanted/this is what they should've done"?

The strange defense of what looks to be mediocre movie is something I don't understand. .

It's no less strange than the odd attachment that people seem to have to the original Ghostbusters and the "you're ruining my childhood" stance so many are having about it.

entremet

After you open with "I refuse to watch it" it's hard to accept the rest. Which I guess is the whole point of not reviewing it, but then why dedicate an entire rant to "this is what *I* wanted/this is what they should've done"?
He's a GB fan. Presumably his fans may be expecting a review as the movie will be out soon.

He's addressing why there may not be a video.

Moreover, it's his channel. He can do whatever he wants within the YT content guidelines. It's his platform.

bjork

Oh, of course. But if he is free to take issue with someone else's presentation of an idea or franchise, so are people free to take issue with his.

entremet

Oh, of course. But if he is free to take issue with someone else's presentation of an idea or franchise, so are people free to take issue with his.
But I'm not getting this ruining my childhood narrative from James.

I have seen that in other aspects of social media.

I don't anyone expected a classic, but from the trailer it looks like Scary Movie gag territory.

It's no less strange than the odd attachment that people seem to have to the original Ghostbusters and the "you're ruining my childhood" stance so many are having about it.

I feel James saying that is more due to the nature of who he is and the his public history of being a huge Ghostbusters fan. People have been waiting to hear his opinion on the trailers for awhile now. If he said he refused to watch it the day the first trailer came out or when the film was confirmed female Ghostbusters that's be one thing, but he's clearly been thinking about this for over two months and he clearly reached that conclusion after watching all the available footage and researching this film and its production along with other attempts to make Ghostbusters 3. If he had said the exact same thing but left the "I refuse to watch it" till the end would you suddenly be not dismissive of his points? Or did you hear his intro and automatically decide he was being a spoiled man baby without listening to his fairly level headed points? The dude even admitted the film could turn out great but that wouldn't change his feeling on some of his main issues with it which are issues a lot of people have with the film which aren't just "baaaw they ruined my childhood"

entremet

I feel James saying that is more due to the nature of who he is and the his public history of being a huge Ghostbusters fan. People have been waiting to hear his opinion on the trailers for awhile now. If he said he refused to watch it the day the first trailer came out or when the film was confirmed female Ghostbusters that's be one thing, but he's clearly been thinking about this for over two months and he clearly reached that conclusion after watching all the available footage and researching this film and its production along with other attempts to make Ghostbusters 3. If he had said the exact same thing but left the "I refuse to watch it" till the end would you suddenly be not dismissive of his points? Or did you hear his intro and automatically decide he was being a spoiled man baby without listening to his fairly level headed points? The dude even admitted the film could turn out great but that wouldn't change his feeling on some of his main issues with it which are issues a lot of people have with the film which aren't just "baaaw they ruined my childhood"
To be fair, there has been some irrational hate of the film on social media, but I'm not getting that from James.

As you said, he didn't just dismiss it.

In the end, these are consumable media, not creeds.

bjork

I said I think he's level-headed. That was the first thing I said. I just don't happen to agree with his stance. That's all . If you're just looking for a forum argument, go bark up some other tree.

shanafan

I am the same age as James, and Ghostbusters was a major part of my childhood - and I am very excited to see the new one. I don't need to be smug about it, I know it wouldn't be as good as the original, but I think I will like it. I actually enjoy the trailers, and when I saw it again before Civil War, the audience laughed at the jokes. So to say that the trailer is bad is an overstatement. This 2016 thing of downvoting stuff on YouTube is already exhausting.

Also, the fact that he "refuses to see it" is just a farce. James will end up seeing it. It's like saying "I will never eat at that restaurant again" is a similar farce as most people will eat there again at some point in time.

James is being a level-headed version of AVGN. He is stuck in the past, thinking everything back then will never be as good as it is today. I am surprised he didn't mention Ghostbusters 2..

NR1

I generally think James seems like a level-headed dude, but even he is not free of coming across like a spoiled manbaby when it comes to ghostbusters.

I don't get it??? Can nobody criticize this film??? I was just looking at all the criticism over the Rush Hour, Lethal Weapon, 24 Legacy, Rocky Horror Picture Show, and a few other remake TV shows coming out this Fall based on very popular films/shows, and nobody is jumping over them and calling them manbabies, sexists, or misogynist...

shanafan

James is criticizing a movie, and says he is not going to see it. How can those two co-exist?

"Yeah, I don't like the music from this band, they have a dumb name. But, I haven't heard their music yet, their name just sounds dumb. I won't listen."

James literally spent over 2 minutes of the video talking about the movie's name.

It's just a title.

entremet

I am the same age as James, and Ghostbusters was a major part of my childhood - and I am very excited to see the new one. I don't need to be smug about it, I know it wouldn't be as good as the original, but I think I will like it. I actually enjoy the trailers, and when I saw it again before Civil War, the audience laughed at the jokes. So to say that the trailer is bad is an overstatement. This 2016 thing of downvoting stuff on YouTube is already exhausting.

Also, the fact that he "refuses to see it" is just a farce. James will end up seeing it. It's like saying "I will never eat at that restaurant again" is a similar farce as most people will eat there again at some point in time.

James is being a level-headed version of AVGN. He is stuck in the past, thinking everything back then will never be as good as it is today. I am surprised he didn't mention Ghostbusters 2..
That is fine. But James is not you. Your post just comes off as moral posturing.

James explained his reasons and now he's somehow edgy or a man baby.

What happened to his movie actually? I stopped watching AVGN in like 2010 or 2011 and I remember he was making that movie and it took him years. I don't think I ever saw it releasing.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I don't get it??? Can nobody criticize this film??? I was just looking at all the criticism over the Rush Hour, Lethal Weapon, 24 Legacy, Rocky Horror Picture Show, and a few other remake TV shows coming out this Fall based on very popular films/shows, and nobody is jumping over them and calling them manbabies, sexists, or misogynist...

I would not go as far as saying all the people who flame the movie in the internet are sexists, but there are a lot of people whose first respond to a female Ghostbusters were something in the line of "eh, its with women, go away with that trash".

I think James understands how touchy the SJW vs. Gamergate issue is and how the movie has been swallowed up by it, which is why he dances around it as the problem in the video. He also straight up says that even if the movie is good, he still won't see it, because it's not the original cast using the same name as the original. So if anything, he's more whining about his childhood than the all female cast, and that since the movie looks terrible, it's going to tarnish one of his favorite all-time franchises.

That said, he didn't come out and say it was because of the all-female cast, which is worrisome. He also spent some videos hanging out with AlphaOmegaSin. So you be the judge.

bjork

What happened to his movie actually? I stopped watching AVGN in like 2010 or 2011 and I remember he was making that movie and it took him years. I don't think I ever saw it releasing.

It came out with special screenings in theaters, and then got a home release on various formats. You can even check it out on steam.

If you combined all the criticism of everything you just mentioned, it wouldn't add up to theoutcry over someone daring to actually do something with the Ghostbusters property.

entremet

I think James understands how touchy the SJW vs. Gamergate issue is and how the movie has been swallowed up by it, which is why he dances around it as the problem in the video. He also straight up says that even if the movie is good, he still won't see it, because it's not the original cast using the same name as the original. So if anything, he's more whining about his childhood than the all female cast, and that since the movie looks terrible, it's going to tarnish one of his favorite all-time franchises.

That said, he didn't come out and say it was because of the all-female cast, which is worrisome. He also spent some videos hanging out with AlphaOmegaSin. So you be the judge.
This is refuted by his love for the new SW both main series and Rogue One.

His issue is that the movie is not passing the torch like the other reboots. This stuff reeks of McCarthyism to me.

shanafan

That is fine. But James is not you. Your post just comes off as moral posturing.

James explained his reasons and now he's somehow edgy or a man baby.

In the 6 minutes, I never got a real answer from him why decided not to see it. To claim he wasn't going to see it because he didn't like the title, or the fact that he was sad that Harold Ramis passed away, those aren't valid reasons.

James is a YouTube personality. His opinion, like others in media, are open for debate. He chooses to upload his opinion on something, then that opens the doors to debate his take. That's why it's social media :)

entremet

In the 6 minutes, I never got a real answer from him why decided not to see it. To claim he wasn't going to see it because he didn't like the title, or the fact that he was sad that Harold Ramis passed away, those aren't valid reasons.

James is a YouTube personality. His opinion, like others in media, are open for debate. He chooses to upload his opinion on something, then that opens the doors to debate his take. That's why it's social media :)

I'm not disagreeing, specifically saying he's being edgy comes of as dismissive. Then the manbaby association. That wasn't you, to be fair.

I appreciate you articulating why later. You heard him and disagreed. But calling him edgy to open the discussion of this video really muddies the waters.

That's all. There's a golden mean here.

entremet

It's about on par with equating things to McCarthyism. None of us are perfect.

Well I wasn't addressing you with that reply ;)

But that's the inference from the post I was reading--that's he's some disgusting GG undercover or may be sympathetic to their causes by association.

bjork

Well I wasn't addressing you with that reply ;)

But that's the inference from the post I was reading--that's he's some disgusting GG undercover or may be sympathetic to their causes by association.

That, I can't comment on. I never did go look up the guy that people were talking about in here a few pages back.

But I think shana is right, and that even if he never comments on it, James will end up seeing this new one. Even if it doesn't do exactly what he thinks it should do, he owes it to himself as a fan of the franchise to soldier through. I say this as someone who's been following and waiting for wrestling to get good again for about 20 years...

James is criticizing a movie, and says he is not going to see it. How can those two co-exist?

This is a really dumb mentality. I didn't see Batman vs Superman because it looked terrible the entire time and I massively dislike hack fraud director Zac Snyder and then the reviews and word of mouth hit. The idea that "Oh but you just have to do it for yourself regardless of anything else" just sounds like people have bought in to bullshit marketing plans.

NR1

This is a really dumb mentality. I didn't see Batman vs Superman because it looked terrible the entire time and I massively dislike hack fraud director Zac Snyder and then the reviews and word of mouth hit. The idea that "Oh but you just have to do it for yourself regardless of anything else" just sounds like people have bought in to bullshit marketing plans.

Agreed. I know looking into the sun will burn my eyes. Don't have to actually do it to know its true.

I have to agree with James in my opinion. As someone who also grew up with the franchise, I hold it near and dear to my heart so yes there is an "attachment" to Ghostbusters that I hold onto. It's timeless. It would have been nice to see a Ghostbusters movie while Ramis was alive because he could've had some input into this new storyline. I do like the idea of having a old characters pass the torch somehow. Also, I would have liked to see material from the early cartoon episodes adapted into a film. Oh well. The film is pretty much done. I can choose to see it or not. Hope others enjoy it for what it is.

maharg

idspispopd
Ghostbusters is one of my favourite films, Harold Ramis was amazing, and I'm still excited as all hell about a fresh take on it.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I saw the Mega Man episode last night, that was great! 10 years, that's a long time... Sadly I haven't been there from the beginning; a friend showed me the Dick Tracy video in 2010 and I loved it. I randomly asked my friend if this guy had a video about Action 52, having just learned about that game a few days before, and funnily enough that was his latest video. After watching it, I immediately became a fan and marathoned all his previous videos.

So for me it's been 6 years, almost to the day, because the Cheetahmen episode wasn't out yet (it was released in June). Man, time does fly.

bobawesome

I just knew there would be crying over the Ghostbusters video in this thread after finishing it.
James must be a misogynistic GamerGater because he had Alpha Omega Sin in a few videos! His reasons for not wanting to see the movie couldn't be because he doesn't find it appealing. It's not like he explained his point of view in his six and a half minute video. It's because the movie has women.

maharg

idspispopd
The only people talking about misogyny and gamergate in this particular branch of conversation seem to be people yelling about mysterious people accusing him of being one.

Is 'manbaby' suddenly a synonym for GG? Hell, it almost verges on being a misogynistic slur in itself.

Edit: v Missed that one, I guess. Still, this seems like a pretty obvious case of people being more angry at people being angry than the people they're angry at are.

When he's talking about people calling it Female Ghostbusters he implies that, that's not the problem. It seems like he's more annoyed with all the shit that happened with Ghostbusters 3, and the fact that the new movie isn't acknowledging the old ones. He makes it seem like it'd be fine if it was more of a passing the torch movie, rather than disregarding the previous movies in the series.

Personally, I'm a huge Ghostbusters fan, and I think I'm pretty excited to see the new one.

Forsythia

I just knew there would be crying over the Ghostbusters video in this thread after finishing it.
James must be a misogynistic GamerGater because he had Alpha Omega Sin in a few videos! His reasons for not wanting to see the movie couldn't be because he doesn't find it appealing. It's not like he explained his point of view in his six and a half minute video. It's because the movie has women.

Totally agreed. James Rolfe is probably one of the nicest internet personalities, but nope, he doesn't like the (trailer of the) new Ghostbusters movie, therefore he is an awful goobergater! Be sure to tell his wife and daughter he's a misogynist too while you're at it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Why even bother announcing that you'll never review something out of spite? What if it's actually a good movie in its own regard? Just because it has the same name and is a reboot? Whatever. "Judging from the trailers". Yeah because a trailer always reflects the final product. Always. Every time. Without fail.

Fuck, if a Back to the Future trilogy remake came out (My favorite sci-fi movies) I'd still watch it just to see what it does. Do I have to like it? No, but it doesn't make the originals any less relevant.

At least wait for the movie to come out before judging it. Then say you'll never review it.

In a world where everyone is gonna shit or praise the movie, an announcement of no review is weird
Brad Refuses to Review an Upcoming Remake
#Trollface

Bio

Why even bother announcing that you'll never review something out of spite?

At least wait for the movie to come out before judging it. Then say you'll never review it.

I don't know that it's "Out of spite", probably more of a preventative thing since all of his fans would expect some Ghostbusters review out of him and be asking "Hey when are you going to be reviewing this" over and over again

As for waiting for the movie to come out before judging it.. at some point you have to stop going to see bad movies. If the trailer makes it look bad why bother giving it the benefit of the doubt and going and giving money to reward the studio for their bad movie? I'm sure if it comes out and the word on the street is that it's actually a great ghostbusters movie James will probably end up seeing it. I am 100% in favor of stopping giving money to bad movies though. It's why I never went and saw Transformers past 1 after how bad 1 was. Could Transformers 2 have been a good movie? Maybe. I dunno, I never saw it. But I have no reason to assume it is, the trailer made it look like garbage and I sure as heck don't want to support garbage movies anymore. Also why I never went and saw TMNT. If I had suddenly heard an outpouring of love about how good Transformers 2 was or how good TMNT was I'd reconsider this, but I didn't, so no need to.

Aldric

Totally agreed. James Rolfe is probably one of the nicest internet personalities, but nope, he doesn't like the (trailer of the) new Ghostbusters movie, therefore he is an awful goobergater! Be sure to tell his wife and daughter he's a misogynist too while you're at it.

That's the impression l got after watching his content for about a decade now. He seems like a genuinely nice person and in this particular video l can't see anything that could be interpreted as bigotry or hatred against women.

As for this Alpha whatever guy, l don't know him, l've never watched any video featuring him (not even the ones on James channel) but l'd just like to remind everyone that it's perfectly possible to be friends with people who're not on the same political side as you. Guilt by association is completely ridiculous.

grim-tales

I thought James came across well in the Ghostbusters video. He said the movie looks shit (as we all did when the trailer came out) and explained why.
I didnt know there had been a 1975 show called Ghostbusters though (watched some on YT yesterday). Can '84 Ghostbusters really be a remake?

NR1

https://filmschoolrejects.com/i-wil...ecause-of-this-person-68678dc42e98#.jkswxo0os

They call James "tragically sexist" for hating on the movie. How can anyone make this connection?!?! This is just insane.

I'm thinking about starting a topic in OT about how I'm super excited to watch "God is (not) Dead 2" or "Amerigeddon" and just wait for the haters to come in and start shitting on the films relentlessly. I am interested in seeing how many of them are defenders of the new Ghostbusters that claim that judging the movie before even seeing it wrong and shortsighted.

grim-tales

How is he sexist? Even when he mentions the female cast, he said "it doesn't matter", thats not why he's annoyed. The trailer looked really shitty, and trades on a classic comedy film.

NR1

97660524-1359-466F-A32D-AB1C015430AF.png.jpeg

Oh my...

Ghostbusters is near and dear to James heart. He doesnt like that this new film features all new characters and in fact doesnt have anything to do with the previous films. And that the trailers have not been impressive.

By refusing to see it, James is basically sayinf "You know what? No, I am not giving you money to see your film. A film that is only related on a surface level to these ones I loved, just because you put the name Ghostbusters on it."

Thats it. No need to throw dismissive and foolish insults like so edgy and man baby at him, or be cowardly and dance around calling him sexist.

Being progressive/inclusive in your casting and production doesnt make you immune to criticism, nor does it keep your art from being shit.

thefro

I suspect he'll end up reviewing Ghostbusters 2016 once it hits Blu-Ray since the video saying he's not going to watch it is going viral.

I'm sure he's going to be tempted to review it in-character as AVGN given the reaction.

Olly88

https://filmschoolrejects.com/i-wil...ecause-of-this-person-68678dc42e98#.jkswxo0os

They call James "tragically sexist" for hating on the movie. How can anyone make this connection?!?! This is just insane.

I'm thinking about starting a topic in OT about how I'm super excited to watch "God is (not) Dead 2" or "Amerigeddon" and just wait for the haters to come in and start shitting on the films relentlessly. I am interested in seeing how many of them are defenders of the new Ghostbusters that claim that judging the movie before even seeing it wrong and shortsighted.

At one point in his life — prior to digging into a position that is both shortsighted (and tragically sexist, regardless of his intentions) 

"Regardless of his intentions". So basically, ignore the perfectly valid reasons James gave for not wanting to see it and just assume he's sexist. Also maybe James doesn't know that he's secretly sexist? What an idiot.

I saw on Twitter some people were insulting his wife because of it. It's not bad enough to insult him, people have to drag his wife into it, all because he said he doesn't want to go and see a film that he thinks doesn't look very good.

Lothar

Banned
I can tell this awful movie will be huge in the box office just because of all the controversy. Someone on the internet just saying they they don't want to see the movie leads to pages and pages of arguments.

Everyone should be watching and talking about the AVGN script videos instead. Those were hilarious and fascinating to hear more about his process in making videos.

Aldric

I can tell this awful movie will be huge in the box office just because of all the controversy. Someone on the internet just saying they they don't want to see the movie leads to pages and pages of arguments.

Everyone should be watching and talking about the AVGN script videos instead. Those were hilarious and fascinating to hear more about his process in making videos.

l thought his video explaining the reasoning behind the charity and his little girl's problems at birth was really touching. To see a guy like that being treated like garbage because he doesn't want to see a movie is sort of disheartening.

Then again l think the controversy is probably exaggerated and will be quickly forgotten. His video is getting tons of views and the like/dislike ratio seems to indicate it's only a small, vocal minority taking issue with it.

Raw64life

Just watched the Ghostbusters thing and it could not have been a more inoffensive critique. Ridiculous that people want to lambast him over this.

shanafan

l thought his video explaining the reasoning behind the charity and his little girl's problems at birth was really touching. To see a guy like that being treated like garbage because he doesn't want to see a movie is sort of disheartening.

He did make a touching video about the care that his daughter got from Shriner's, and I am happy for him and his family.

However, that doesn't make him clear of any open discussion about the videos that he himself submits, as well as Cinemassacre submits in general. He made a video about his opinion, and posted it online. That action allows discussion. If he didn't want to create a discussion, then he shouldn't have created the video and uploaded it.

As far as treating him as garbage, I haven't seen any personal attacks come his way from his Ghostbusters video, at least not from the individuals on this website.

Top Bottom