• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

shanafan

I feel genuinely as bad for all the production people from the actors down to the production assistants who worked hard on a feature film to see it getting trashed by people constantly. They put a lot of time and energy into the project, and to see the high amount of backlash come their way is equally if not more unfortunate.

Eila

Poor old James got caught in a cultural war I feel he didn't see coming.
Honestly the Cinemassacre guys look pretty chill. Their insight in videogames is not too great for me but I still enjoy a video here and there.

Big Nikus

The criticism of him and his video. First of all I don't even see what the problem with him making a video is in the first place. But if someone thinks it wasn't necessary for him to do so, that's fine, I just don't understand how it warrants anything more than, "Meh, I don't think he needed to do a video about it really".

Everyone making a huge deal out of it and insulting him just blows my mind. Articles have been written on sites about it, some calling him sexist FFS. I feel like I'm in The Twilight Zone.

It's such an innocuous video.

Edit: From TheCinemassacre subreddit

What. The. Fuck.

How can people be cruel towards James Rolfe ?...
I don't even agree with him on the new Ghostbusters, but people shitting on him are just obnoxious jerks.
I hope he doesn't care and/or he gets enough support messages from his fans to balance things.

I feel genuinely as bad for all the production people from the actors down to the production assistants who worked hard on a feature film to see it getting trashed by people constantly. They put a lot of time and energy into the project, and to see the high amount of backlash come their way is equally if not more unfortunate.

I mean Tommy Wiseau's The Room also came from a place of hard work and passion, it doesn't save the film from being laughable garbage. At the end of the day this new Ghostbusters film might be deserving of all the hate it gets, and maybe it won't. We won't know until the film releases and we get a general impression of critical reviews, general audience reviews, and box office totals.

Aldric

How can people be cruel towards James Rolfe ?...
I don't even agree with him on the new Ghostbusters, but people shitting on him are just obnoxious jerks.
I hope he doesn't care and/or he gets enough support messages from his fans to balance things.

He's been a public figure on the internet for more than a decade, sadly l think he's probably used to this sort of behavior, he'll be fine.

Plus again it's not like it's a particularly massive movement either, it's essentially a tiny group of people screaming in the void. He's actually gained subscribers since the start of this controversy.

Big Nikus

He's been a public figure on the internet for more than a decade, sadly l think he's probably used to this sort of behavior, he'll be fine.

Plus again it's not like it's a particularly massive movement either, it's essentially a tiny group of people screaming in the void. He's actually gained subscribers since the start of this controversy.

Yeah, I just feel down everytime I see the internet mob lashing out against a good person. It's becoming so common...

I'm surprised none of the criticism has tried to point out his own movie was bad and instead they're so eager to assume he's a fan of Star Trek V in order to criticize him. So to me, that's a sign that this controversy is the first time those people ever heard of James.

I'm surprised none of the criticism has tried to point out his own movie was bad and instead they're so eager to assume he's a fan of Star Trek V in order to criticize him. So to me, that's a sign that this controversy is the first time those people ever heard of James.

How dare someone who likes one bad film in a popular series not like a potential bad film in another

People have been making a lot of leaps in logic about James saying he isn't going to watch a movie. Also the like/dislike ratio on the video is like 50,000 vs 2,000. Maybe it's just a lot of vocal people.

I think a lot of people fall into the mentality of "Well if you are a fan of something you just GOTTA go see whatever comes out with the name on it" which is dumb.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new Ghostbusters movie is bad enough, then James will find a way to appreciate it as good schlock. Maybe even just to appreciate his role in this shitshow going on now.

I guess I never really thought of Ghostbusters as being this revered series. It's one great movie, one decent movie and some cartoons. But I was born in 1995 so what do I know.

Here's an article about James that not only puts words into his mouth, but equates his stance on the Ghostbusters movie to that of someone against transgendered folk using restrooms. It's a really stretch armstrong of an article. Even though he said he was fine with the cast being women, they claim that the real reason James dislikes the movie is that the characters don't look like him.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/05/18/the-soft-sexism-of-hating-on-the-new-ghostbusters

The comment section is pretty interesting, though. No one seems to care about the actual article, but used the space to discuss and debate the issues regarding public restrooms.

Aldric

but there’s a weird sense that something is being unsaid. Or maybe it’s just not being consciously considered but rather is bubbling just under the surface. Casual, unthinking sexism.

There's an expression in French that l think has no equivalent in English, procès d'intention (literally "trial of intent"). We're not judging you for your actions, we're not even judging you for your words, we're judging you for what we think you're thinking.

l don't want to be melodramatic because at the end of the day it's just a storm in a teacup in that laughable little world of nerds but there's something almost Orwellian to it.

Lothar

Banned
Here's an article about James that not only puts words into his mouth, but equates his stance on the Ghostbusters movie to that of someone against transgendered folk using restrooms. It's a really stretch armstrong of an article. Even though he said he was fine with the cast being women, they claim that the real reason James dislikes the movie is that the characters don't look like him.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/05/18/the-soft-sexism-of-hating-on-the-new-ghostbusters

The comment section is pretty interesting, though. No one seems to care about the actual article, but used the space to discuss and debate the issues regarding public restrooms.

The most disgusting part of this article: (And this is the worst article I've seen)

"I don’t think “Angry Video Game Nerd” knows that he’s having a sexist reaction to Ghostbusters"

"They may not be consciously aware of it, but their innate sexism is giving a boost"

What a humongous jackass this guy is.

Believe it or not, there were actually some posters in the Ghostbusters thread quoting this article as if to say it made good points.

It might be worth noting that ComicBookGirl19 made the a lot of the same points that James made earlier this week, but she made them after the first trailer.

The most disgusting part of this article: (And this is the worst article I've seen)

"I don’t think “Angry Video Game Nerd” knows that he’s having a sexist reaction to Ghostbusters"

"They may not be consciously aware of it, but their innate sexism is giving a boost"

What a humongous jackass this guy is.

Believe it or not, there were actually some posters in the Ghostbusters thread quoting this article as if to say it made good points.

I believe it. That thread is toxic.

I decided to take a look at the writers twitter account for whatever reason, and it's as bad as you'd think. The Twitter conversations around this article are insane. Most people are calling him out and his reactions are pretty priceless.

Olly88

I don’t think “Angry Video Game Nerd” knows that he’s having a sexist reaction to Ghostbusters.

Oh my God.

One last note to the "Angry Video Game Nerd" and his friends: the original Ghostbusters was very important to you as a young man. Why can't you be big enough to let the new Ghostbusters be very important to a new generation of young women?
Yes, I can see how he saying he isn't interested in it is him trying to not let others watch it. The only person I've seen say to people to actually not watch it was a woman.

Also found it funny how he referred to him as "Angry Video Game Nerd" through the whole article. Very mature.

Oh my God.

Yes, I can see how he saying he isn't interested in it is him trying to not let others watch it. The only person I've seen say to people to actually not watch it was a woman.

Also found it funny how he referred to him as "Angry Video Game Nerd" through the whole article. Very mature.

Someone asked him about that on his Twitter and he said that he didn't know his name, nor did he care.

A lot of people seem to be accusing James of something akin to thought crime. And the tagline for the article is

You don't have to be sexist to dislike this movie... but it helps!

Really? Because it seems like every single instance of people leaping on others for not looking forward to the movie is because they are sexist, whether they are or not.

Olly88

againz__large.jpg

If you're not familiar with the YouTube channel known as CInemassacre, you're missing out. Filled with amazing shows such as the classic Angry Video Game Nerd, to the very entertaining Let's Play-style James and Mike Mondays, Cinemassacre has a variety of retro gaming-related content to keep you occupied for a long time. Cinemassacre has been around on YouTube for a decade, and still puts out new content.We had the opportunity to interview the channel's own Mike Matei, who created the venture with James Rolfe years ago. Below is a series of questions regarding Mike's opinions on various Zelda topics, as well as some inquiries surrounding his work.
http://www.zeldainformer.com/exclus...-zelda-informer-interviews-cinemassacres-mike

I haven't been paying attention to AVGN or Cinemassacre for ages but I feel so bad for James getting dragged into this shit show. He really doesn't deserve this treatment.

The_Kid

Thought that was an interesting article. I mean, he does seem rather bitter that this is using the Ghostbusters name, like it's taking something he loved and changing it or some dumb idea. And while he may not be necessarily sexist, the article does have a valid point, that a chunk of these criticisms are coming from some sort of innate, sexist reasoning.

And honestly that is the most frustrating part, because a lot of people don't want to acknowledge it (not necessarily talking about Neogaf specifically).

The transgender bathroom example makes some sense in the context actually. The common defense in the transgender debate is not outright stating that it is wrong for people to go with the gender they feel is right, but bringing it up as a sort of defense for the "vulnerable", women and children. They mention it as if this crusade is protecting them from unnamed evil, when really they just don't want the status quo upset. That sort of innate repulsion to things being changed is the point because while it is a sexist attitude, they don't see it as such. They think they are doing the right thing, even if it is hurting others.

AVGN comes off with the attitude of he's trying to protect this franchise, not only for fans, but also for the children who won't be able to enjoy the previous ones. He has this whole speech about how the proper way would be for the old cast to introduce the new cast and have them "win us over" before handing the torch, like it needs their approval before the new people can be graced with the title of Ghostbusters. It may not be sexist, but it still has the same bullshit logic of protecting others from something that doesn't need protecting from, and choosing a really dumb hill to make a stand on.

jett

D-Member
Rolfe really didn't think it through when he made his (ridiculous) video. This is the most mainstream he has ever gotten in recent years, and I'm not sure that's a positive for him.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The transgender bathroom example makes some sense in the context actually. The common defense in the transgender debate is not outright stating that it is wrong for people to go with the gender they feel is right, but bringing it up as a sort of defense for the "vulnerable", women and children. They mention it as if this crusade is protecting them from unnamed evil, when really they just don't want the status quo upset. That sort of innate repulsion to things being changed is the point because while it is a sexist attitude, they don't see it as such. They think they are doing the right thing, even if it is hurting others.

So when I am protective about my favorite franchise I am always a transphob in disguise?

Makes sense!

The_Kid

So when I am protective about my favorite franchise I am always a transphob in disguise?

Makes sense!

Yeah, okay. Not what I said but sarcasm can be fun too!

Meant more that the length some people go to be protective of this franchise (What are they protecting it from exactly? A remake with the same name, like every popular franchise ever?) can have the same strategies as the transgender bathroom argument. Instead of saying "Hey, I'm personally uncomfortable with this and this upsets my interpretation of the world!" Some act (like AVGN did) like they're doing it for others benefit, like it is an almost noble thing to do. which is bullshit.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Yeah, okay. Not what I said but sarcasm can be fun too!

Meant more that the length some people go to be protective of this franchise (What are they protecting it from exactly? A remake with the same name, like every popular franchise ever?) can have the same strategies as the transgender bathroom argument. Instead of saying "Hey, I'm personally uncomfortable with this and this upsets my interpretation of the world!" Some act (like AVGN did) like they're doing it for others benefit, like it is an almost noble thing to do. which is bullshit.
OK, then I understood you wrong.

Still, would be curious if people would write the same about his video if he would have made it about the Star Wars Prequels. Highly doubt this. Because everyone who writes angry about these movies does exactly the same and his video is not even half as angry as post of the hater of these.
And even while I am aware, that the whole movie always had all the time awful mysgonic reactions triggered, it would have been cool if all these people who now call him a sexist would have seen the video since he doesnt brings up the gender up as an issue at all.
He sounds like he hates the general direction of the movie. Which is fine. Because people are fine with bashing when it comes to other Sequels or Prequels of big nostalgic franchises.

The movie is a feminist project, so people want to defend it from all these assholes who go insane because it doesnt feature an all male cast again. This is completly ok, but I think its horrible how James who sounds like he would hate the movie even when it would be only guys again is now caught in the shitstorm. And this is wrong.

And all these, uh, he has to be polite and dont say that he hates it and that is shouldnt be made to begin with. Everybody does this all the time. And if it doesnt come from a argument like "Because they are all girls!" its fine to think that, too!

Just my thoughts, not all of it is a direct response to you, but we reached a point where the shitstorm about him is getting silly.

Savitar

Rolfe really didn't think it through when he made his (ridiculous) video. This is the most mainstream he has ever gotten in recent years, and I'm not sure that's a positive for him.

What was so ridiculous about it? People say that you should vote with your dollar, he's doing so. And for that he's a bad guy in some way?

Now that's ridiculous.

I believe it. That thread is toxic.

In my 16 years on GAF, that might have been the most embarrassing thread I've ever witnessed.

The_Kid said:
Thought that was an interesting article. I mean, he does seem rather bitter that this is using the Ghostbusters name, like it's taking something he loved and changing it or some dumb idea

I didn't get a bitter vibe from it, in fact it reminded me a lot of the 'Chronologically Confused About Sequel Titles' video he did nearly 10 years ago where he rants about popular Movie franchise titles and their sequels. Even when he's speaking as James, I think he's putting on a sort of part where he's being intentionally nitpicky over unimportant details. It's sort of his thing. I think most of the people who had a problem with the video aren't familiar with a lot of his past videos and probably don't know that the whole "angry nerd" thing is just a character that he plays. When James uploaded the video, I seriously doubt that he knew it would get caught in the winds of controversy and wind up being discussed outside of his cultivated audience, who the video is clearly aimed directly at.

In my 16 years on GAF, that might have been the most embarrassing thread I've ever witnessed.

I didn't get a bitter vibe from it, in fact it reminded me a lot of the 'Chronologically Confused About Sequel Titles' video he did nearly 10 years ago where he rants about popular Movie franchise titles and their sequels. Even when he's speaking as James, I think he's putting on a sort of part where he's being intentionally nitpicky over unimportant details. It's sort of his thing. I think most of the people who had a problem with the video aren't familiar with a lot of his past videos and probably don't know that the whole "angry nerd" thing is just a character that he plays. When James uploaded the video, I seriously doubt that he knew it would get caught in the winds of controversy and wind up being discussed outside of his cultivated audience, who the video is clearly aimed directly at.

Yep as a long time avgn fan nothing in the video surprised me. His reaction and reasoning is what I expected it to be based upon his well know obsession with Ghostbusters

Lothar

Banned

I'd hope he was never so cowardly as to not say his thoughts on a film because he might get a reaction from a bunch of assholes.

As was pointed out on the other thread, he was a random target.

Other people who reviewed the trailer used much stronger language.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aneh5R-ctM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwq3Ir8LXPA

Where's the hate for these guys?

Just one week ago, James reviewed another trailer, Godzilla. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCCDQTlE_Ng Is this also ridiculous and something he shouldn't have made? Or is it different because it's a positive review? That's insanity.

I'd hope he was never so cowardly as to not say his thoughts on a film because he might get a reaction from a bunch of assholes.

As was pointed out on the other thread, he was a random target.

Other people who reviewed the trailer used much stronger language.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aneh5R-ctM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwq3Ir8LXPA

Where's the hate for these guys?

Just one week ago, James reviewed another trailer, Godzilla. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCCDQTlE_Ng Is this also ridiculous and something he shouldn't have made? Or is it different because it's a positive review? That's insanity.

I think the fact that James seemed so calm and level-headed is what caused peope to choose to target him. Ironically, him NOT being mad only seemed to ignite stronger harsh reactions from many of the agenda-fueled people who clicked on his video.

grim-tales

What was so ridiculous about it? People say that you should vote with your dollar, he's doing so. And for that he's a bad guy in some way?

Now that's ridiculous.

Agreed. All he basically said was "The trailer looked shit and the movie is a bad idea, so I won't go and see it", thats the same as many others have said like the CBG

Thought that was an interesting article. I mean, he does seem rather bitter that this is using the Ghostbusters name, like it's taking something he loved and changing it or some dumb idea. And while he may not be necessarily sexist, the article does have a valid point, that a chunk of these criticisms are coming from some sort of innate, sexist reasoning.

And honestly that is the most frustrating part, because a lot of people don't want to acknowledge it (not necessarily talking about Neogaf specifically).

AVGN comes off with the attitude of he's trying to protect this franchise, not only for fans, but also for the children who won't be able to enjoy the previous ones. He has this whole speech about how the proper way would be for the old cast to introduce the new cast and have them "win us over" before handing the torch, like it needs their approval before the new people can be graced with the title of Ghostbusters. It may not be sexist, but it still has the same bullshit logic of protecting others from something that doesn't need protecting from, and choosing a really dumb hill to make a stand on.

This same exact argument could be said against people who don't like the Transformers movies. Ridiculous. What if someone made Michael Bay's Citizen Kane? If people were upset that it possibly tarnishes the legacy of one of the most respected movies of all time would they just be babies who can't accept the upsetting of the status quo?

maharg

idspispopd
This same exact argument could be said against people who don't like the Transformers movies. Ridiculous. What if someone made Michael Bay's Citizen Kane? If people were upset that it possibly tarnishes the legacy of one of the most respected movies of all time would they just be babies who can't accept the upsetting of the status quo?

I hated the first of the new Transformers movies, didn't bother seeing the rest because of it (and Michael Bay), but I'd still think James making a 7 minute video about how he wasn't going to bother seeing them before passing judgement on them would be dumb for all sorts of reasons. This thread is usually about the dumb off the cuff things he and Mike say in James and Mike Monday and most of those don't even remotely rise to this level of ridiculous to me.

No one's saying he needs to be forced to see the movie clockwork orange-style. But he felt strongly enough about how it will live up to his expectations that he needed to announce it in the loudest way possible, and people took issue with it. It's not the end of the world and at this point far more outrage has been spilled in his defence than directed at him, which is ridiculous.

Aldric

You cannot possibly be serious. How can you call an entirely baseless accusation a "valid point"? Also you're being completely ridiculous when you say "and while he may not be necessarily sexist", implying he might be. No. He's not sexist, period. When you're throwing such serious accusations around, especially in the current climate, you better have a slightly more solid foundation than your personal hunch and specious false dilemma "why does he have a problem with this reboot in particular? Must be sexism!" arguments. Nothing in Rolfe's video can be reasonably interpreted as sexism. Take his words at face value and stop trying to find hidden ulterior motives in a completely innocuous opinion.

Also l don't know where this weird idea Rolfe is "bitter" or "whiny" or "crying" comes from. He appears very calm and simply expresses disappointment. Why this need to present him as some sort of hysterical, immature archetype? Meanwhile, the first reaction of the positively charming gentleman who wrote that article was to call Rolfe a "limp dick loser" on Twitter. Yet this guy is the rational, tolerant and mature one in this story? This whole thing is absurd.

Lothar

Banned
I hated the first of the new Transformers movies, didn't bother seeing the rest because of it (and Michael Bay), but I'd still think James making a 7 minute video about how he wasn't going to bother seeing them before passing judgement on them would be dumb for all sorts of reasons. This thread is usually about the dumb off the cuff things he and Mike say in James and Mike Monday and most of those don't even remotely rise to this level of ridiculous to me.

No one's saying he needs to be forced to see the movie clockwork orange-style. But he felt strongly enough about how it will live up to his expectations that he needed to announce it in the loudest way possible, and people took issue with it. It's not the end of the world and at this point far more outrage has been spilled in his defence than directed at him, which is ridiculous.

Giving an opinion of a movie trailer in a video is actually not dumb in the slightest though. It's not ok for people to have an issue over someone not wanting to see a movie.

Except there's nothing weird about him making that video because people know he's big into 80's franchises, especially Ghostbusters, and there ARE a lot of people asking him for his opinion on movies. He makes a lot of mini-reviews or post-movie discussions lately and it's not that crazy for him to tell people, 'Hey, I'm not going to see this movie and here's why' when they expect something from him. Not to mention that he probably had a lot of people directly asking him of his opinion on the whole situation.

maharg

idspispopd
Giving an opinion of a movie trailer in a video is actually not dumb in the slightest though. It's not ok for people to have an issue over someone not wanting to see a movie.

Interesting. So it's a-ok to have an opinion about Ghostbusters, but an opinion about the content James Rolfe posts is verbotin?

I'm always intrigued by this piece of mental gymnastics in which freedom of expression is defended by shutting down other people's.

Except there's nothing weird about him making that video because people know he's big into 80's franchises, especially Ghostbusters, and there ARE a lot of people asking him for his opinion on movies. He makes a lot of mini-reviews or post-movie discussions lately and it's not that crazy for him to tell people, 'Hey, I'm not going to see this movie and here's why' when they expect something from him. Not to mention that he probably had a lot of people directly asking him of his opinion on the whole situation.

It's pretty clear that a lot of people were not, in fact, expecting him to make a video in which he pre-judged the film from a trailer. Otherwise we wouldn't even be talking about this.

It's a tweet's worth of opinion turned into a production. What's not at all surprising is that it became a thing.

Top Bottom