• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

grim-tales

Yeah :) I'd like to see some YKWBS also, as its been a while since new episodes.
I'm thinking this will be a simpler AVGN than Mega Man, but surely didnt expect a new one that quick, any episode is welcome. Nice! :)

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
He did a good job explaining his stance and why he wasn't a fan of the game. That's how you criticize a classic. Not "it's hard because I said so. Family Guy joke!"

Lothar

Banned
Paperboy was just an ok game. It was always fun for the first few minutes until it became frustrating. It was alright playing it at a friends house but I imagine if it was your one birthday or Christmas present, that would have sucked.

Hilarious video. Terrific episode.

Paperboy was just an ok game. It was always fun for the first few minutes until it became frustrating. It was alright playing it at a friends house but I imagine if it was your one birthday or Christmas present, that would have sucked.

Mhm, James summarized my feelings on paper boy to a T. I imagine once you get good at it the game is a fun arcade challenge but the learning curve is fairly steep for an arcade game.

bjork

This was me. The C64 version, no less. But I gotta say, I played the living hell out of that game and enjoyed it.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
:lol. Was sure he was gonna explain about games simplicity or some shit and he goes on to explain what a newspaper is.

Edit: Holy shit the window part.

Kudo

He managed to break a window with newspaper..
Don't try that at home folks.
Lots of funny moments, great episode once again.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I remember having the SNES version as a kid (either 1 or 2, can't remember) & I just remember wanting to hit everything that I could with the papers. Looking forward to this video.

.....I also remember trying Paperboy 64. That had BOSS BATTLES in it.

Timu

That one was pretty funny, didn't know he hated the NES Paperboy. My fav part was when he
tried to throw the papers into the mailbox on the bike.

MAtgS

I never understood why the training course was at the end of the level. Shouldn't it start with the training mode?

Javier

I know some companies roll up and compress their newspapers so tightly it's incredibly easy to break a window with them. Specially on a Sunday. It's like throwing a log.

This was a pretty good review. Loved the bit where he explained what a newspaper was.

thefro

Is the Nintendo Power Strategy Guide for Paperboy a real thing? I did a Google search, and no luck.

Nope. It may have been covered one of the compilation guides maybe, but they never had a dedicated guide just for Paperboy.

I was a NP subscriber from Issue #4 until the mid-N64 days.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Holy crap, I got a good laugh out of the
let's actually see if a newspaper can break a window
gag....& once again at
let's actually see if you can throw a newspaper into a mailbox

Not that it really matters, but I remember in Paperboy 2 (that was the one I had on SNES growing up), you actually switched sides, so sometimes the houses would be on the right, & you also had the ability to throw from either the left or right, which was a bit helpful if something was on the opposite side of you & you needed to hit it so it wouldn't hit you first.

Otherwise, this was a rather good episode with some great gags.

I pretty much agree, Paperboy is extremely frustrating, I didn't really like it as a kid.

I don't know what he meant by the "Even Nintendo still makes games, although thats debatable" line. Was he just poking fun at the lack of Wii U games?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I remember it was MUCH more fun just trying to hit anything in sight & seeing what would happen, like hitting people swinging on a bench & seeing them fall over backwards or hitting a dude on a diving board to knock him into a pool.

I don't even think I ever tried playing the game the "right" way after my first few attempts....I also don't recall any music from Paperboy 2 aside from the obstacle course. It was a very "quiet" game.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I pretty much agree, Paperboy is extremely frustrating, I didn't really like it as a kid.

I don't know what he meant by the "Even Nintendo still makes games, although thats debatable" line. Was he just poking fun at the lack of Wii U games?

I think it's established that James doesn't really care that much for modern games.

I remember it was MUCH more fun just trying to hit anything in sight & seeing what would happen, like hitting people swinging on a bench & seeing them fall over backwards or hitting a dude on a diving board to knock him into a pool.

I don't even think I ever tried playing the game the "right" way after my first few attempts....I also don't recall any music from Paperboy 2 aside from the obstacle course. It was a very "quiet" game.

Honestly, game should have been designed around fucking shit up with the papers, with the mailboxes giving extra points.

tauke

I don't enjoy playing this game when I'm at my cousin's house. Awkward controls and it is more fun running into all kind of obstacles to see what will happen to the paperboy.

Funnily enough, paperboy is non-existent in my country and newspaperman is the norm instead (riding on a motorcycle with a huge stack of newspaper at the back).

As a kid I never liked Paperboy much, it was way too hard to be fun. And yeah, it still is. The obstacle course is the only maybe-fun part of each day...

Great episode, hope James keeps doing AVGN for years to come. He's been a key part of my childhood and a pivotal factor in my interest in video games in general.

grim-tales

It was a great, really funny episode xD I loved
the part when he broke the window with the newspaper :D
and
explained what a newspaper was

Felt like an older, more spontaneous episode.
The callbacks to older episodes like BTTF, Jekyll and Hyde and Silver Surfer were great.

Nere

Great episode but I wish he had showed the rest of the games from the franchise. He mentioned them at the start but never showed them, still a great episode.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Great episode but I wish he had showed the rest of the games from the franchise. He mentioned them at the start but never showed them, still a great episode.
He could totally save Paperboy 64 for another day, but Paperboy 2 barely does anything different aside from "you can aim left AND right". Most of the problems are the same, except now instead of throwing to the left, you're also throwing to the right sometimes instead.

I don't even think there's any other sequels or remakes or whatever outside of porting the game to systems & compilation discs.

woopWOOP

That was great. One of few recent episodes that actually got quite a few smiles out of me. Probably because I can relate as I never really enjoyed the game.

Too bad he didn't show anything of PB64 tho

CassSept

That was a very effortless episode, the jokes didn't feel forced, there were no over-the-top rage scenes, it was very vanilla compared to many later episodes and it worked out quite well, a very pleasant episode and possibly one of the best ones ever.

Top Bottom