• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

Harmen

What's up with all the comments with Papergirl / Paperpeople?

I assume it is in reaction to the recent controversy regarding James not wanting to see Ghostbusters 2016. People called him sexist because of it, arguing he was likely hiding his true motives, or stating he is just sexist without realising it. So now people are probably making parody comments.

EDIT: just read a few pages back, I do not want to reignite a hefty discussion the mod's wanted finished. I'll leave my post here and hope that is ok (modified it a bit). Just answering the poster above me. I didn't follow the whole thing so missed the discussion in this thread.

tauke

pcAHDct.gif

Raitaro

Great episode!

The only thing that I missed is for Pat the NES Punk to make a brief cameo rocking out to the music when James commented on Paperboy's main theme being a bit mundane (seeing as this has been Pat's theme for years as well and the two have a scripted feud of sorts going on).

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
"As for the houses, it's like any NES game before you clean it: it's nothing"

And the Simon Belmont part, loool

Dereck

That was a very effortless episode, the jokes didn't feel forced, there were no over-the-top rage scenes, it was very vanilla compared to many later episodes and it worked out quite well, a very pleasant episode and possibly one of the best ones ever.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i played paperboy so much. it always made no sense to me, and this just taught me how to actually get subscribers and how you lose them.

never figured it out when i actually played it.

Acerac

Banned
That was a very effortless episode, the jokes didn't feel forced, there were no over-the-top rage scenes, it was very vanilla compared to many later episodes and it worked out quite well, a very pleasant episode and possibly one of the best ones ever.

The less effort he puts in to episodes the better they tend to be. This was no exception.

Awesome episode. The bits with the window and the mailbox were all that was needed.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
His paperboy reviews is exactly what I want him to do for his future reviews. It's very good, I don't know how to put it.
Maybe the best way to put it is "personal"? You can tell this was a game that he perhaps grew up with (I can't remember, I'd need to watch the episode again), meaning there's a connection to be made, similar to his earlier episodes when he mainly focused on games from his childhood.

It didn't have that feeling of "uh, let's see, what game would make a good episode......hmm, guess this game, let's play it & see", but more of "oh man, I remember playing this when I was younger, I need to let my frustration out from when I originally played it"

Maybe the best way to put it is "personal"? You can tell this was a game that he perhaps grew up with (I can't remember, I'd need to watch the episode again), meaning there's a connection to be made, similar to his earlier episodes when he mainly focused on games from his childhood.

It didn't have that feeling of "uh, let's see, what game would make a good episode......hmm, guess this game, let's play it & see", but more of "oh man, I remember playing this when I was younger, I need to let my frustration out from when I originally played it"

"I've been playing this game for 30 years" or something like that when he fully goes in on it

Good episode but I always joked about the breakdancer in the NES version. He looked like he was trying to get his pants on rather than breakdancing. I also hoped that James would've covered the other versions.

Saven

Banned
This recent Paperboy episode was the best thing he's done in a long time. The type of jokes that he did in this episode were what made me love him in the first place. I was laughing my ass off, especially at trying to get the paper in the mail box, smashing a window, and showing unusual things like the Grim Reaper in real life. This will probably go down as one of my favorite episodes of his.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
"I've been playing this game for 30 years" or something like that when he fully goes in on it
Okay, yeah, I could've sworn he said something like that. But yeah, when you have a history with something, it sounds more personal when you talk about it compared to, say, his Big Rigs episode where he just did it due to popular demand of "NERD THIS GAME SUX0RS, YOU SHOULD PLAY IT" & probably didn't play it before until he made an episode about it.

thefro

I agree 100% that videos of games he played back in the day are generally the best. Old games everyone's played and are either bad or decent/good with some frustrating parts. Bonus points if it's got a movie/TV license he can riff off.

I'd like to see a Goonies II review next since that would check off multiple boxes. Wouldn't be a long review but between that and Goonies 1 on Famicom you could get a good 15 min episode out of it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I wonder if James would've liked the Genesis version of Paperboy 2 more than the original, as it seems in the sequel, they kind of made the streets a bit bigger &/or shifted the houses more to the side to give you more room. For example:

Granted, I can't compared the throwing mechanics between the original & sequel.

Monster Madness 10 is happening this Halloween....& will also be the last one.

He still might do "Mini-Monster Madness", but after 10 years, it's harder to find 31 movies to review that fit the requirements, plus he said he could use the time for more AVGN & You Know What's Bullshit, plus new projects.
Wow, 10 years of Monster Madness. That's a good run. Hopefully he goes fully back to the original format for the last one and not that unscripted thing he did with last year's.

IIRC, didn't he have other monster madness years where it wasn't 31 videos but a video a week or something? I think it was while he was making his movie.

Either way, I'm fine with it. I honestly don't know how he's able to plan and record 31 episodes released one day after the other. Even with months of planning and production that would kill me. I love Monster Madness but as he said he's running out of content he's familiar with and he should end it on a roll when he's comfortable rather than running out of material and making sub-par content in the future.

Hope he uses the free time to make something good that shows off his skills!! Please not
AVGN II

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Monster Madness 10 is happening this Halloween....& will also be the last one.

He still might do "Mini-Monster Madness", but after 10 years, it's harder to find 31 movies to review that fit the requirements, plus he said he could use the time for more AVGN & You Know What's Bullshit, plus new projects.
A little bit sad to see Monster Madness go.
Then again I think the quality wasnt that great the last years and I havent even seen last years videos... But I can completly understand his reasoning.

shanafan

A little bit sad to see Monster Madness go.
Then again I think the quality wasnt that great the last years and I havent even seen last years videos... But I can completly understand his reasoning.

I wasn't a big fan of the format from last year when it was just Mike and James talking - or Mike interrupting James constantly, lol

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I caught some of Mike's live stream last night and he mentioned that he will not be involved in Monster Madness at all this time.

He's also on Twitch now, in addition to YouTube Gaming.

Top Bottom