• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

shanafan

I have been noticing it more and more, but James is a pause talker.

A pause talker is a person that pauses the game (or maybe even a YouTube video, etc) to talk about something.

For example, a co-worker of mine shows me YouTube videos now and then, and like 3 seconds into the video, he feels he needs to explain what I am about to see. It's like, "Just play the video - I think I will get the idea".

Whenever James is playing, see if you notice he pauses the game a lot to talk about 1) something in the level he is playing, or 2) something unrelated to the level but felt compelled enough to pause the game to talk about it.

Not sure if this is good or bad, just noticing it more and more, especially since my co-worker does it quite a bit.

dickroach

I've always had respect for Bootsy's gaming prowess.

hell yeah, when they were all playing Back To The Future, and James & Mike couldn't get more than like 20 seconds into the level, Bootsy killed that shit.
I hope he does another one of those little series like when he beat Battletoads

Yeah this shocked me. it seemed like he was serious too. I can't imagine anyone not knowing who Cranston is today.

James really does live in his own bubble which is why all the figure heads trying to make him the poster child for misogynistic manbabies was laughable to me since James always seems completely out of the loop for that kind of stuff.

Nice... watching now.

It was an alright episode. I don't think either of these games are really that bad. The Genesis game does have its weird problems and the SNES game is much more streamlined and does look a little more enjoyable. But I don't think either of these games are Bart vs. The Space Mutants bad.

mcz117chief

what a terrible episode. Probably his worst by now.

I don't understand most of his complains at all "you have to press A, who would have though of that? Pressing A in the menus." probably everyone, I never pressed start on a menu screen, definitely not any time recently.

"OMG now you press start?! In a password screen?" ummm, of course, since there is no "proceed" button that can be selected the "start" button is the most obvious alternative.

"drop means you drop it on the ground, who thought of that? That is stupid" seriously wtf! Since when has the "drop" command been ANYTHING besides a discard/drop-on-the ground button? Show me one example where it works differently.

"Where is all my health? This is bullshit!" You get the amount of HP that you saved with, that is absolutely normal.

I don't know if he is just acting complete cluelessness, but this was incredibly embarrassing to watch. It was like imagining how my grandma would play this game.

Balb

He didn't really seem into this episode. The script wasn't that bad but he didn't sell the reactions or lines that well. Shame too because it's a great episode idea and I'm surprised it took him this long to do a B&B episode. The games aren't that bad but he could have done a lot with the B&B theme like he did with Wayne's World or something.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
"WHO WOULD'VE THOUGHT TO PRESS A TO SELECT THE ITEM ON THE MENU?!?"

....I...uh, think most people would. A tends to be the confirm button on most systems. Even on Genesis & SNES titles.

Considering "drop" was probably always there for the most part, I don't know how it'd be rather confusing, though yes, having to try & find the item in that area he was in seemed like a bad idea. If it was marked something like "Use", then maybe, but based on point-&-click & RPG games, "drop" = "drop the item because you don't want it anymore".

Yeah, him playing the Genesis version, while it still seems like a bad game, felt like he just didn't understand some of it, which is part of the reason why I kind of stopped with J&M Mondays. This certainly has that vibe of "well I heard this game was bad, guess I'll quick check it out & make a video on it" of other videos like Hong Kong 97 or Big Rigs, where he just doesn't really have a connection, which is why the Paperboy episode was rather good, because you could tell his opinions were genuine, where here, it seemed kind of forced at times.

shanafan

Actually quite enjoyed the Genesis game as a kid. It's not confusing at all, it's just not am action game

I haven't watched yet, but doesn't surprised me that James gets confused by games. Maybe he is playing off the AVGN character, but he easily gets confused/lost.

The only real complaint I could get behind was that the passcode system fucked you in both games by keeping you with how many lives and health you had while removing all your items.

Wow, he has a really pristine SNES. I need to get me some retrobrite.

Terrible episode though, maybe it would be better if I ever actually watched and enjoyed Bevis and Butt-Head.

Aiii

So not worth it
I never turned off a AVGN episode midway through... I have no idea what happened here, this was terrible.

Also, pretty sure every pin-machine ever has a yellow "CORR" or "Correction" button for when you mistype.

thefro

He didn't really seem into this episode. The script wasn't that bad but he didn't sell the reactions or lines that well. Shame too because it's a great episode idea and I'm surprised it took him this long to do a B&B episode. The games aren't that bad but he could have done a lot with the B&B theme like he did with Wayne's World or something.

Definitely some missed opportunities. The opening minute or so that was a parody of B&B's intro was good but it seemed phoned in.

I would have revealed a few minutes into the episode that Beavis (Mike) and Butthead (James) are on a couch watching the Nerd's review. So they're making comments making fun of the Nerd reviewing the game and jokes. Then they turn off the TV and there's a little skit where the game gets destroyed.

shanafan

Just curious.. when you die in the original NES Mega Man games, did you have to re-enter the password to continue where you left off?

Timu

Nice... watching now.

It was an alright episode. I don't think either of these games are really that bad. The Genesis game does have its weird problems and the SNES game is much more streamlined and does look a little more enjoyable. But I don't think either of these games are Bart vs. The Space Mutants bad.
The SNES version is hard as hell!!! I played the Genesis version back in the day and while it's not the worst it isn't that great either.

Kain

This episode was awkward. Like, there are some genuine concerns here and there, but most of it seems forced or just plain dumb. I don't know what's the reasoning behind this episode

Timu

I wish he covered the SNES game more, as the game starts you on the Wimp difficulty, which is the easiest difficulty. It's also longer than the Genesis version and I don't like how they both share the same health bar in 2 player mode because one player getting hit by enemies when it's not your fault is annoying. And no continues either.

I wish he covered the SNES game more, as the game starts you on the Wimp difficulty, which is the easiest difficulty. It's also longer than the Genesis version and I don't like how they both share the same health bar in 2 player mode because one player getting hit by enemies when it's not your fault is annoying. And no continues either.

Yeah, I was hoping that he would cover the SNES game more too. As well as the Game Gear and Game Boy games. The Game Boy game is kind of unique as it plays from an overhead view.

vocab

Ill probably have to skip this one. B&B on genesis is one of my favorite games on the system. It's a little cryptic but when you made progress as a kid it was rewarding. Really liked the adventure game aspects. I can see why some people might not like it though. Was never a fan of the SNES version.

maharg

idspispopd
"WHO WOULD'VE THOUGHT TO PRESS A TO SELECT THE ITEM ON THE MENU?!?"

....I...uh, think most people would. A tends to be the confirm button on most systems. Even on Genesis & SNES titles..

So this episode was definitely weaksauce, but that's not what his complaint was there. His complaint was that start did *something*: it selected the first menu item, regardless of what's selected. I don't remember ever playing a console game where start on a menu selected something other than what was selected, if it did anything at all. He's right that this is fundamentally bad (and frustrating) UI, especially if it launches you into a cut scene, but to be fair he didn't really articulate this very clearly.

Though maybe it was a common thing on the genesis? I dunno. Like James, I was a Nintendo kid.

grim-tales

Not his best episode but I thought it was OK, I liked the J&M Monday gag and the callbacks to AVGN history. The rants about passwords seemed very familliar ;)
But some complaints were silly like "I have to press A on the password menu?!?"

Er, well yeah. Sounds pretty normal to me.
I've never seen the original B&B before so didnt get some of the references.

bjork

Just curious.. when you die in the original NES Mega Man games, did you have to re-enter the password to continue where you left off?

In the first one, you didn't even get the luxury of a password. That didn't show up until Mega Man 2.

I've never seen the original B&B before so didnt get some of the references.

The commentary in this episode makes me wonder if he never saw the episodes himself as well, or if it was supposed to be that the Nerd hadn't seen them. He asks about the guy in his underwear and the dude with the barbecue outfit on, but they're both from episodes where they go to the hospital. From the initial batch of episodes, which MTV played in reruns endlessly until season 3 hit.

Davey Cakes

I will say this: from watching James and Mike Mondays, it seems like James is "seasoned" in playing games but is not particularly great at playing them. He seems hasty and impatient. There are times when it seems like he has no strategic approach and just brute forces it, which leads to frustration.

As for the character of AVGN, I'm not sure what to say. After this Beavis and Butthead episode (which I thought was alright purely as an educational piece about the basics of the game) it's hard to tell what's actually a legit gripe. His complaints this time didn't carry much weight.

Lothar

Banned
He plays games like he's someone that's not into games. Like if my dad or grandpa were to play games, that's how they would play.

Top Bottom